HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Should the Flyers Trade? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=226784)

FlyersFanJS 03-03-2006 09:27 AM

Should the Flyers Trade?

after last night's pathetic performance, which has really been typical for the last month and a half of flyers hockey, i am pretty convinced that we have NO shot at beating the wings, flames, canes, sens, rangers, bolts, or sabres in a playoff series...this all equates to NOT winning the cup this year....

IMO, we should hold on to all those picks and try to trade up come draft day. We have a ton of young talent and while we're not rebuilding, we can get some new guys in the off-season with some top-notch talent in the draft and look toward next year

agree, disagree?

c3po 03-03-2006 10:11 AM

The flyers have to make a trade after that brutal game. They need to shake up the team a bit. They are stil cup contenders, they were without 2 defenceman and 2 of their 5 top forwards last night, if they continue to lose when they're healthy than I would worry. There's alot of games left to turn it around and the flyers have alot of fire power. When Gagne reunites with Forsberg they'll get on track.

JXC 03-03-2006 10:12 AM

Absent their captain, top goal scorer, best checking centericeman, and most veteran puckmoving defenseman, the Flyers looed bad.

Quel suprise.

My position is that if Johnsson will return, then make some moves. If not, then not.

chthonic 03-03-2006 10:35 AM

i dont see a single move totally shaking up the team. theres something wrong with the entire team, and its gotten well beyong the point of "slump."

TheKingPin 03-03-2006 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chthonic
i dont see a single move totally shaking up the team. theres something wrong with the entire team, and its gotten well beyong the point of "slump."

I disagree, if the flyers get a person that will come in with energy and puck moving skills i think that would spark the team. Iagree with the ealier post you need to have Gange back and Handzues back to worry too much. Plus we are without KJ a big part og the PP and always steps up against the Rangers. I think that when 100% healthy we win the Cup. But w/o Primeau not so sure but a trade or two will set things straight. Dont panic though, I think everyones is because they dont realize that we are still injured quite a bit when you give up a lot of goals and you cant score it may be because you sleke and richard canidates are out. Nd the olympic MVP has the flu.

BringBackStevens 03-03-2006 11:12 AM

I don't make any trades for rentals. I havent given up this year, but our young guys look good for the future and this isn't exactly looking to be the season where 1 guy like jokinen sends us over the top. I think we will either have "it" or we won't when april rolls around, and i dont see any guys available that are really going to change that.

Ex Storm 03-03-2006 11:18 AM

Unless the team starts showing improvement before next Thursday, I think we should stay pat and ride it out. If anything, maybe we could get some later-round picks for some of the players that won't be here next year. I'm sure Brian Savage would make a nice addition to a contender! :biglaugh: Let the kids develop, hopefully make the playoffs and get them some experience. Draft well, and see where we are next year.

TheKingPin 03-03-2006 11:21 AM

How bout a trade for this guy http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...41&q=alexander

...not possible, then enjoy the video its unreal

phlacheesesteak 03-03-2006 11:36 AM

I say Philly needs to trade a few those picks for a few rentals before the deadline. UFA's are cheap, and it wouldnt hurt to add a winger and a defensmen to the mix...I still think we can win the Cup this year, and I think too many people say theres no "chance". Theres always a chance, especially when your speaking of hockey, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE. If the hurricanes could make it to the finals in 02 and the ducks could do it in 03, AND the lighting could make it last in 04 all because they started streaking at the right time or had great goaltenders, then anything can happen. Whats happening is a slump, its a funk, and they will get out of it...hopefully Philly is going to start getting real hot going right into the playoffs. I dont think there is a single trade that could make this team unstoppable or anyhting like that, but there are a few players that could be had would be a great fit on this team.

MojoJojo 03-03-2006 12:23 PM

Agree. We have a young team that can be very good in a few years, but it is clearly not good enough for a cup right now. It seems like this team is always almost good enough and we are never able to push ourselves over the edge. Every year we trade away some of your future for a shot now, and every year we somehow recover but dont manage to become good enough to win.

Rails 03-03-2006 12:27 PM

There isn't one trade, or even five trades, that will make this team better. Trade some vets for youth, open some cap space, squeak into the playoffs and get the kids some experience, re-sign the ones that need to be resigned, and then sign some good speedy vets in the off-season. Make a run next year, if we don't make it, rebuild

FlyersFanJS 03-03-2006 12:36 PM

i agree that if we got a guy who could bring a ton of energy and puck handling skills it would help. but exactly who do you have in mind? a guy like gaborik would do it, but good luck getting him.

priceperlb* 03-03-2006 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyersphan
How bout a trade for this guy http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...41&q=alexander

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWESOME!!!!!! !!!!!!!

FlyersFanJS 03-03-2006 01:37 PM

Great Video!!!!

Art Vandelay 03-03-2006 01:40 PM

It's not a question of "should" i think they will, question is for whom though.

GoneFullHolmgren 03-03-2006 02:00 PM

Quote:

wow
just wow. How can you not like a guy that plays like that.

Philly Flyer Fan* 03-03-2006 02:59 PM

So.....the question is, Should the Flyers trade?

1.) Does a bear s__t in the woods?
2.) Is the Pope German?
3.) Is Elisha Cuthbert Hot?

Answers to question 1-3............YES!

Question - Should the Flyers trade?

Answer - Your darn tootin'!

Attn: Bob Clarke: PULL THE TRIGGER :teach:

NJFlyer42 03-03-2006 03:00 PM

The problem with a trade is there isn't really anyone out there, that's available, who would be an upgrade. I know some people like to say we could get someone with "just draft picks", but when you look at all the young talent on the team now, it's because they accumulated so many draft picks by dumping veterans. Look at the dividends it's paid. You're not going to get someone who's young and talented for draft picks, so why bother.

FlyersHomer DM03 03-03-2006 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philly Flyer Fan
Question - Should the Flyers trade?

Answer - Your darn tootin'!

Attn: Bob Clarke: PULL THE TRIGGER :teach:

Lets not make this man feel like he HAS to make a big trade to turn this team around or we'll end up dealing three picks and a prospect for adam oates again (or a similar consequence)

...What I'm saying is I just hope BC doesn't make a move to hinder us for the future, don't squander Richards or Carter, don't trade off our 1st round pick unless necessary--Clarke has been hitting prospects well in the draft of late

-Brashear should be gone, if thats all we do at the deadline, hey, its a step in the right direction, because it will improve this team.

JXC 03-03-2006 04:15 PM

NJFlyer42 --

Quote:

The problem with a trade is there isn't really anyone out there, that's available, who would be an upgrade.
What??? Have you seen them play lately? Criminies, Doug Crossman would be an upgrade, and he's 45.

Quote:

I know some people like to say we could get someone with "just draft picks", but when you look at all the young talent on the team now, it's because they accumulated so many draft picks by dumping veterans. Look at the dividends it's paid.
Where? What dividends? Maybe next year.

Quote:

You're not going to get someone who's young and talented for draft picks, so why bother.
Who said anything about "young"?

TheKingPin 03-03-2006 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by priceperlb
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWESOME!!!!!! !!!!!!!

I would love to see him every day in a game. How do the caps not sell out every game

Pantokrator 03-03-2006 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MojoJojo
Agree. We have a young team that can be very good in a few years, but it is clearly not good enough for a cup right now. It seems like this team is always almost good enough and we are never able to push ourselves over the edge. Every year we trade away some of your future for a shot now, and every year we somehow recover but dont manage to become good enough to win.

You are a brilliant person! I agree 100%. Keep the picks, no trade will get us over the top. As another poster said, either we get hot in April (if we can even hold on to a playoff spot) or not. Adding Jokinen or Doan, or Doug Crossman will put this team over the top. Perhaps if we could swing a trade involving Lidstrom, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Brodeur, Redden, all of those guys, then it might put us over the top. Otherwise, hope the team gels and is healthy in the playoffs.

BloodOnTheIce 03-03-2006 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJFlyer42
The problem with a trade is there isn't really anyone out there, that's available, who would be an upgrade. I know some people like to say we could get someone with "just draft picks", but when you look at all the young talent on the team now, it's because they accumulated so many draft picks by dumping veterans. Look at the dividends it's paid. You're not going to get someone who's young and talented for draft picks, so why bother.

Kyle Calder

Tyler Arnason

Roger's Pancreas* 03-03-2006 10:03 PM

Scott Walker!

Hah, good luck trying to pull that one off Clarke.

Gert B Frobe 03-03-2006 10:07 PM

Quote:

Best player in the league period.