HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Trade Bait (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=22754)

Foligno17 10-25-2003 10:34 AM

Trade Bait

Now that one tenth of the season is behind us, I thought I'd take a look at the most likely players to get traded by the deadline.

1) Maxim Afinogenov

Max has one point in six games played and we haven't missed him in the two games he's been scratched. His obvious skills make him attractive to a team that misses the playoffs. Dumont is getting some production and is a more complete player who can play either wing for about the same salary. He can also play on a checking line with some success.

2) Henrik Tallinder

I like this guy, but he's been terrible. We have two more young defensemen. I'm still convinced that Kalinin will be a good one and that Campbell could turn into a decent offensive DMan.

3) Alexei Zhitnik

Only if we're out of the playoff hunt. Then this could be a salary dump.

4) Martin Biron

The other two goaltenders are too young and make too little to even consider trading. The most likely scenario is that all three stay in the Sabres organization at least one more year.

5) Tim Connolly

By virtue of not playing a game so far this season, Connolly isn't the worst perfoming player on the team. He is the youngest forward on the roster, and should be given more time to succeed in Buffalo. I doubt that he goes anywhere.

I'll look at this again in another eight games.

Jovavic 10-25-2003 12:01 PM

Buffaloed and I were talking on a similar thread on the Jackets board. How does Kosmachev (drafted in the third round last season) and a mid level pick for Maxim and rights to Kristek sound?

Takeo 10-25-2003 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Ozzie X
Buffaloed and I were talking on a similar thread on the Jackets board. How does Kosmachev (drafted in the third round last season) and a mid level pick for Maxim and rights to Kristek sound?

Kosmachev would be a nice pick-up, but I think Max, at 24 years old, could fetch a bit more. Besides, I really don't think Max is on the block (or anywhere close to it), despite being a healthy scratch the last couple games.

Takeo 10-25-2003 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foligno17
Now that one tenth of the season is behind us, I thought I'd take a look at the most likely players to get traded by the deadline.

1) Maxim Afinogenov

Max has one point in six games played and we haven't missed him in the two games he's been scratched. His obvious skills make him attractive to a team that misses the playoffs. Dumont is getting some production and is a more complete player who can play either wing for about the same salary. He can also play on a checking line with some success.

2) Henrik Tallinder

I like this guy, but he's been terrible. We have two more young defensemen. I'm still convinced that Kalinin will be a good one and that Campbell could turn into a decent offensive DMan.

3) Alexei Zhitnik

4) Martin Biron

The other two goaltenders are too young and make too little to even consider trading. The most likely scenario is that all three stay in the Sabres organization at least one more year.

5) Tim Connolly

By virtue of not playing a game so far this season, Connolly isn't the worst perfoming player on the team. He is the youngest forward on the roster, and should be given more time to succeed in Buffalo. I doubt that he goes anywhere.

I think you should swap Afinogenov, Tallinder, and Zhitnik for Dumont, Brown, and Campbell. But that's just me.

Takeo 10-25-2003 04:03 PM

Quote:

1) Maxim Afinogenov

2) Henrik Tallinder

3) Alexei Zhitnik

4) Martin Biron

5) Tim Connolly

I would take Max, Tallinder, and Zhitnik off the block and replace them with Dumont, Brown, and Campbell. But that's just me.

imyourhuckleberry 10-25-2003 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Takeo21
I would take Max, Tallinder, and Zhitnik off the block and replace them with Dumont, Brown, and Campbell. But that's just me.

I'd say they are all eligable to be put on the block. none of those guys have contributed as much as they could. but I'd be a bit more hesitant with campbell and max since i think they both can contribute, especially campbell.

lecherous 10-25-2003 07:26 PM

Personally I'd say :

1. Connolly
2. Dumont
3. Noronen
4. Max (But only if we get a good return for him - I'm ready to give him 1 more year)
5. Zhitnik (if out of the hunt)

1. I'd say trade Connolly for realistically whatever we can get for him. Right now he's just taking up a bit more than $1m on the payroll, and probably won't contribute much to the team when he's back from injury.

2. Dumont...I don't think he needs to be traded, but if I was Darcy I'd be listening very carefully to offers for him. He looks out of place and lacking desire big time. Maybe we can send him off to Montreal for Dackell? I think Dackell would be awesome on the 3rd line for us, and Dumont can't realistically contribute to the 2nd line. He's passable on the 3rd line, but not the ideal 3rd liner. Montreal fans - would you guys do that deal? I don't see why not.

3. Noronen...I don't think we need to trade him, but if we can get a good return for him, I'd definitely deal him. He had a bad year last year and hasn't been consistent at all since, but people seem to forget that he still has real value. We could probably get a pretty good player in return for him. Maybe to Calgary for Gauthier and a 4th or something?

4. Max... I don't really want to trade him, but like I've said above... if the deal is too good to pass up, Darcy's gotta do it.

5. Zhitnik... I still think that if we're out of the playoff hunt, we can package Zhitnik and someone else of 2nd to 3rd round caliber, or a pick to Toronto for Colaiacovo...which would be an amazing pickup for this team.

SuperUnknown 10-25-2003 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lecherous
2. Dumont...I don't think he needs to be traded, but if I was Darcy I'd be listening very carefully to offers for him. He looks out of place and lacking desire big time. Maybe we can send him off to Montreal for Dackell? I think Dackell would be awesome on the 3rd line for us, and Dumont can't realistically contribute to the 2nd line. He's passable on the 3rd line, but not the ideal 3rd liner. Montreal fans - would you guys do that deal? I don't see why not.

I'm sure Montreal would jump all over this deal. However, are you sure that Buffalo would only want Dackell?

lecherous 10-25-2003 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smail
I'm sure Montreal would jump all over this deal. However, are you sure that Buffalo would only want Dackell?

Well, I don't know what Montreal's value of Dackell is...but if he's still playing like he was when he was in Ottawa, he'd be perfect for Buffalo right now. Dumont wouldn't do more than 20-20-40 this year, and I think Dackell is a consistent 12-18-30 (ish) guy...I'd definitely be willing to sacrifice a few goals for a guy who actually works hard each game.

Also, Dackell would significantly improve our PK.

TVanek26* 10-26-2003 03:44 AM

Quote:

Well, I don't know what Montreal's value of Dackell is...but if he's still playing like he was when he was in Ottawa, he'd be perfect for Buffalo right now. Dumont wouldn't do more than 20-20-40 this year, and I think Dackell is a consistent 12-18-30 (ish) guy...I'd definitely be willing to sacrifice a few goals for a guy who actually works hard each game.

Dude, Dackell is a career third liner in the mold of Curtis Brown...But Curtis Brown has better offense, defense and leadership.We could get more then Dackell.

Foligno17 10-26-2003 05:14 AM

. Noronen...I don't think we need to trade him, but if we can get a good return for him, I'd definitely deal him. He had a bad year last year and hasn't been consistent at all since, but people seem to forget that he still has real value. We could probably get a pretty good player in return for him.

Noronen makes less sense to trade than Biron due to salary reasons. If my source is correct, he makes $550K compared with $2.2M for Biron. The Sabres are already a little over budget and would need to trade salary to afford a veteran stay-at-home defenseman. If Biron plays well enough to take the starting job, I think we should keep all three goaltenders for one more year.

I have to admit that I have done a complete reversal on Connolly. I'm remembering that he is only 22. Let him play a "rookie" season this year. Give him a conditioning assignment and some time on the 4th line this year. Connolly also gives Lindy an option when a top six forward is playing poorly.

Ghost of Dale Hunter 10-26-2003 05:40 AM

Quote:

. Noronen...I don't think we need to trade him, but if we can get a good return for him, I'd definitely deal him. He had a bad year last year and hasn't been consistent at all since, but people seem to forget that he still has real value. We could probably get a pretty good player in return for him.

Noronen makes less sense to trade than Biron due to salary reasons. If my source is correct, he makes $550K compared with $2.2M for Biron. The Sabres are already a little over budget and would need to trade salary to afford a veteran stay-at-home defenseman. If Biron plays well enough to take the starting job, I think we should keep all three goaltenders for one more year.

I have to admit that I have done a complete reversal on Connolly. I'm remembering that he is only 22. Let him play a "rookie" season this year. Give him a conditioning assignment and some time on the 4th line this year. Connolly also gives Lindy an option when a top six forward is playing poorly.

If you bring in another goalie Biron must go. If a team gives up on their number 1 goalie they have to move him out or face a cancer in the lockeroom. I don't see Biron taking a demotion quietly.

You may end up giving Biron away, almost addition by subtraction.I am not saying it is right, just likely if another #1 is brought in to buffalo without Biron leaving in the deal.

Buffaloed 10-26-2003 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Ozzie X

I'd prefer a deal like that, but given the Sabres desire to make the playoffs, I think they're going to make a move for a veteran. My guess is they're going to end up dealing with San Jose for one of Ricci, Thornton, or even Damphousse. The Sharks have shown a willingness to pick up salary to make deals and I believe all 3 of those guys are pending UFA's.

lecherous 10-26-2003 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buffaloed
I'd prefer a deal like that, but given the Sabres desire to make the playoffs, I think they're going to make a move for a veteran. My guess is they're going to end up dealing with San Jose for one of Ricci, Thornton, or even Damphousse. The Sharks have shown a willingness to pick up salary to make deals and I believe all 3 of those guys are pending UFA's.

Eew, I wouldn't want any of those bums.

Honestly, I'd wait until at least the end of December to see where we are. Though personally I'd like to see Connolly moved no matter what...for a veteran if we're in the hunt, or for a prospect or two if we're out of the hunt.

LALALALALALAFONTAINE 10-26-2003 05:07 PM

I would LOVE to get Ricci. Campbell?

WhoIsJimBob 10-27-2003 04:06 AM

I would like to see Ricci in a Sabres uniform, but I wonder if the Sharks would deal the guy that initially was given the C in their rotating captaincy.

Although, the Sharks are off to a horrible start to the season and they could enter full fledged payroll slashing mose soon.

And with Curtis Brown centering Kotalik and Satan right now, Ricci would be a real nice fit as the Sabres 3rd line center.

LALALALALALAFONTAINE 10-27-2003 04:13 AM

Ricci makes $3M. Ouch. He is 32. Still, I'd love to see him on the Sabres. He's exactly the type of player we need.

teemu_s 10-30-2003 08:12 AM

Quote:

As a Hab-fan I'd be more than happy to give away Dackell and take Dumont or Afinogenov. We really need some scoring, badly.

billsandsabres 10-30-2003 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teemu_s
As a Hab-fan I'd be more than happy to give away Dackell and take Dumont or Afinogenov. We really need some scoring, badly.

i thought you said you needed scoring

lecherous 10-30-2003 10:12 AM

Well, now I've changed my mind. Dumont has been playing with a passion lately that I've never seen before out of him. Weird.

teemu_s 10-30-2003 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billsandsabres
i thought you said you needed scoring

Oh yeah, I said so. But Dackell can't score even if his life depends on it. Couldn't hit ocean from the boat. Etc. Etc. Dumont and Afinogenov still have some talent. We could also send you Juneau and Audette. Sabres 2000 re-united? How about that? :lol:

Mike#16* 10-31-2003 12:46 AM

What would the Devils have to offer to get Max?

billsandsabres 10-31-2003 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike#16

david hale or mike rupp would pacify me

lecherous 10-31-2003 09:49 AM

Quote:

I'll take Pihlman.

Chainshot 10-31-2003 06:58 PM

Quote:

With nothing but cobwebs and dust on in the defensemen prospect cupboard, Hale's the better fit. That he has all the elements to be a solid, well-rounded defenseman make him a much more appealing target. Not that I think the Devils part with him willingly, nor solely for Afinogenov. But I'm sure Regier is more than eager to get some young blood into the defense corps veins.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTL
i'd take Rupp.

And here I thought you'd mention Parise. ;)