HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Rumour deal with the Pens. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=228005)

Coburnfan05 03-07-2006 08:07 AM

Rumour deal with the Pens.

Philly get's Malone and Reechi for Umberger (I am sure there would be more to this). Rex would be ok and Malone is still a young guy who could help now and in the future.

Thoughts?

http://www.spectorshockey.net/

Colorado Avalanche 03-07-2006 08:12 AM

nice deal for the flyers..

Mikey Z21 03-07-2006 08:15 AM

The only problem is.....I don't think Recchi wants to leave Pittsburgh! I've heard he wants to retire a Penguin.

It wouldn't be a bad trade though!

GKJ 03-07-2006 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey Z21
The only problem is.....I don't think Recchi wants to leave Pittsburgh! I've heard he wants to retire a Penguin.

The Flyers can let him walk back to Pittsburgh after the season.

I don't think this deal would fit under the cap, and I'm not so sure it would be all that great of a trade.

pelts35.com 03-07-2006 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey Z21

Unless he has a no trade clause, that's tough for Recchi. Besides, I would think that Recchi would prefer one last run at a cup instead of being done and on the golf course after the end of the regular season.

I am sure that the Flyers would have to give up some draft picks or prospects as this deal favors the Flyers, although it does allow the Pens to dump some salary.

In a nutshell, the Flyers would get a rental player in Recchi and the actual "trade" for the future would be Umberger for Malone. Basically, IMO, a golden delicious apple for a granny smith apple and Umberger would get to play in his home town.

JXC 03-07-2006 08:40 AM

Malone is -23. Yikes. I know the Pens are a bad squad and the numbers don't tell it all but that's second worst on the team, behind, ****gulp****, Mark Recchi.

iceman42 03-07-2006 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GagsIsDaMan
Philly get's Malone and Reechi for Umberger (I am sure there would be more to this). Rex would be ok and Malone is still a young guy who could help now and in the future.

Thoughts?

http://www.spectorshockey.net/

The updated one is Reechi for Radio, not sure if Malone was in that one or not.

pelts35.com 03-07-2006 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JXC
Malone is -23. Yikes. I know the Pens are a bad squad and the numbers don't tell it all but that's second worst on the team, behind, ****gulp****, Mark Recchi.

+/-, IMO, is an overrated statistic. Put those same players on a winning team and those numbers will turn around pretty quickly.

Dr Love 03-07-2006 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelts35.com
+/-, IMO, is an overrated statistic. Put those same players on a winning team and those numbers will turn around pretty quickly.

It is, but when you look at it in a team context, then it's got some value. And Recchi and Malone have, by far, the worst +/- on the Pens.

Vikke 03-07-2006 08:55 AM

Why would the Pens do this trade?
Makes no sense at all.

pelts35.com 03-07-2006 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vikke
Why would the Pens do this trade?
Makes no sense at all.

To dump salary? :dunno:

Pretty logical move for a team that has zero playoff hopes (as they may be sending players to WB/S for the AHL playoff run to save even more salary) and is in financial peril. Two players for one (that makes a small NHL salary) plus prospects really isn't a bad deal for Pittsburgh.

Not to mention, more fans might come out to see the local boy play for the team that he grew up watching?

Mikey Z21 03-07-2006 09:11 AM

yeah, I think Umberger in Pittsburgh would sell more tickets....but the kid has been playing pretty well as of late!!!

BringBackStevens 03-07-2006 09:35 AM

i don't want to trade umberger

Jester 03-07-2006 09:38 AM

personally i don't think Rex is worth more than a draft pick...

now, depending on what people think of Malone, you may consider something like that... but i'm not giving up a roster player for Recchi straight up... the only reason to move roster players for someone like Recchi is if you're using those trades to create some cap space.

however, i think we can all list a few players that are clearly waivable in the immediate future if necessary.

Benji Frank 03-07-2006 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelts35.com
Unless he has a no trade clause, that's tough for Recchi.

Mario and Recchi are buds. He signed with Pittsburg for less money then he could have gotten elsewhere. If Recchi thought he was helping Mario improve the team by moving for a few months he'd do it. At the same time, If he told Mario he didn't want to go anywhere, Mario would not pursue anything.... There might not be a no trade clause there, but basically, the ball's in Recchi's court ... Mario and Patrick seem classy enouph to acknowledge that....

GoneFullHextall 03-07-2006 09:49 AM

NO
too that deal. Can we please stop with the retreads?

Polaris Husky 03-07-2006 10:14 AM

Actually, from what I can tell, most Pens fans don't want Umberger, and are still bitter about him signing with the Flyers over the Pens a couple years back.

Jester 03-07-2006 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kei Posiskunk
Actually, from what I can tell, most Pens fans don't want Umberger, and are still bitter about him signing with the Flyers over the Pens a couple years back.

that's absolutely brilliant...

a) moronic reason to be "bitter" towards a player.

b) who wouldn't sign with the Flyer two-years ago over the Penguins? i mean, seriously, how is that even something you can question of a player? team going NOWHERE v. a team that had just played in the ECF, and that is outside of the issues of facilities (flyers better), stability (flyers better), ownership (flyers better), etc.

if you're getting a good player, you should be happy about it...

JXC 03-07-2006 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester

now, depending on what people think of Malone, you may consider something like that... but i'm not giving up a roster player for Recchi straight up... the only reason to move roster players for someone like Recchi is if you're using those trades to create some cap space.

however, i think we can all list a few players that are clearly waivable in the immediate future if necessary.

I agree with this. The Flyers need to ADD players, not subtract. So it'd be either a pick for Recchi or Recchi and someone for someone.

Mikey Z21 03-07-2006 10:37 AM

Well Said...i Was Thinking That The Pens Can Use All The Help They Can Get!!!

PRB 03-07-2006 10:37 AM

Question - why would the Flyers give up someone for Recchi if he was going to go back to the Penguins next year anyway? :S Especially giving up someone with some youth.

pelts35.com 03-07-2006 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JXC
I agree with this. The Flyers need to ADD players, not subtract. So it'd be either a pick for Recchi or Recchi and someone for someone.

The opening post on the thread states the rumor is Recchi and Malone for Umberger. That being said, it fits what you are saying with Recchi and someone for someone.

pelts35.com 03-07-2006 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester

You aren't giving up a roster spot for Recchi straight up.

Assuming you feel that Umberger for Malone is a wash, Recchi is a bonus. Wouldn't you rather have Recchi in the lineup instead of Brashear, Stevenson, etc? I would much rather see Recchi on a wing with Carter or Richards than those two.

Besides, I also like him playing on one of the points on the PP instead of Kapanen as well.

Jester 03-07-2006 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belfast Giants
Question - why would the Flyers give up someone for Recchi if he was going to go back to the Penguins next year anyway? :S Especially giving up someone with some youth.

couple of things... i'm not necessarily convinced Rex would definitely ditch the flyers... he did want to stay in philly, but wanted to get a deal done prior to the lockout. there IS a club-option on his contract (i believe the belief is that he would ask them to forfeit that right if he was traded...), as well as a player option (club is for 2.2M and the player is for 750K).

disregarding that... Rex, at his age, isn't worth a young roster player... the real "trade" here is Malone for Umberger... i haven't seen Malone enough, but people were really up on him a couple years ago... and now have really fallen off of him. i'm very unclear on how good he could potentially be... however, he does have size. Umberger looks to be a decent playmaker at this level, but he definitely needs to get stronger on the puck... so, the question is.

Malone, Rex for Umberger better deal than Rex for pick? i don't know...

Blindside9711 03-07-2006 10:45 AM

I don't know about Malone in the new NHL. He's not exactly light on his feet.
Giving up Umberger for a late-20's slug and a late-30's has-been would be a mistake IMO.
If we're going to move Umberger (or a package including him), we'd better be getting a scoring winger and a mobile #4-6 blueliner back.