HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Colorado Avalanche (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Alex Tanguay "The Leech"... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=22814)

Bender 10-25-2003 05:10 PM

Alex Tanguay "The Leech"...

I just wish Alex Tanguay would stop "LEECHING" off of Hejduk and Forsberg with those amazing passes he's been making....

Nice call. Nice evaluation of talent...

:rolleyes:

Foppa 10-25-2003 06:19 PM

I think for the most past, Tanguay's consistancy and overall level of effort has been much, much better this season so far - regardless of how many points he has (many). Although, I was not witness to the catastrophes against Edmonton or Boston, so I may not have the entire picture.

He's still the third member of the #1 line, but that line has remained possibly the hottest in hockey do in no small measure to the rapaport all three have and I still think anybody who just assumes some other Joe Schmo can just step into that line and make it work like it does now would be mistaken.

He also seems to be, for right or wrong, bulletproof thus far in terms of being dealt. The fact that Drury, Reinprecht, Vrbata, Nedorost, and Johansson, all talented young forwards have been dealt and Alex remains means he either has naked pictures of PL or the franchise still views him as a critical piece of the future. A little skeptical still perhaps, as witness to his recent 1-year deals, but wary of letting him go elsewhere because of his talent.

Having narrowly dodged the holdout hex, I'd be shocked if Tanguay was dealt this season...even for a goalie and even though many still assume it is going to happen sooner or later.

El_Loco_Avs 10-25-2003 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foppa
I think for the most past, Tanguay's consistancy and overall level of effort has been much, much better this season so far - regardless of how many points he has (many). Although, I was not witness to the catastrophes against Edmonton or Boston, so I may not have the entire picture.

He's still the third member of the #1 line, but that line has remained possibly the hottest in hockey do in no small measure to the rapaport all three have and I still think anybody who just assumes some other Joe Schmo can just step into that line and make it work like it does now would be mistaken.

He also seems to be, for right or wrong, bulletproof thus far in terms of being dealt. The fact that Drury, Reinprecht, Vrbata, Nedorost, and Johansson, all talented young forwards have been dealt and Alex remains means he either has naked pictures of PL or the franchise still views him as a critical piece of the future. A little skeptical still perhaps, as witness to his recent 1-year deals, but wary of letting him go elsewhere because of his talent.

Having narrowly dodged the holdout hex, I'd be shocked if Tanguay was dealt this season...even for a goalie and even though many still assume it is going to happen sooner or later.

Maybe his 'leech' status can be used against him in contract negotiations?

He'd be cheaper then say, Drury, because of all those weird highlightreel goals, even though he produces about the same... (ignoring everything else Drury 'brings' for a second :-P)

"You're a leech, here's a tenner, now go play hockey!" :D

rpontbriand 10-25-2003 07:02 PM

Alex does have some issues but two goals in a game 7 Stanley Cup finals is what seperates him from Drury, Nedo, Vrbata and the rest.

El_Loco_Avs 10-25-2003 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpontbriand
Alex does have some issues but two goals in a game 7 Stanley Cup finals is what seperates him from Drury, Nedo, Vrbata and the rest.

Didn't Rupp do the same last year?

rpontbriand 10-25-2003 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Loco_Avs
Didn't Rupp do the same last year?

I believe so but the skill level is a bit different between the two.

El_Loco_Avs 10-25-2003 07:14 PM

Quote:

I believe so but the skill level is a bit different between the two.

But still... most people would still rather have a Drury over a Tanguay...
Those 2 goals, although reaaaaaaaaally important, say nothing about his importance to the team...

I hope Tangs can shut up all of his doubters this year... keep his confidence...

Laperriere22* 10-25-2003 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bender
I just wish Alex Tanguay would stop "LEECHING" off of Hejduk and Forsberg with those amazing passes he's been making....

That's a solid point; I always say that if a player can enjoy a mini hot streak that it proves him beyond any shadow of a doubt and any previous history is now irrelevant.

Considering how well you handled the discussion of Tanguay last time, I'm rather surprised you would start such a thread, especially in such a baiting manner. Good job all around.

Freudian 10-25-2003 07:48 PM

I don't think people will ever give him credit as long as he plays with Forsberg (for the simple reason that if he elevates his game and produces more, it will only equal him leeching more of his teammates). Even the season where he had 77 points doesn't count since he played with a good centre. And the fun thing is that those who rag on Tanguay goes nuts if a young guy on their team scores 40-50 points.

That said, I don't think he is a Sakic in the making or anything. But he is a useful player to have around.

nathan 10-25-2003 08:12 PM

AP summary
Quote:

Tanguay, who had a career-high four assists Thursday night, had two against Nashville to extend his point streak to five games. He has two goals and seven assists in this stretch.
Doing good for himself right now :handclap:

Enoch 10-25-2003 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laperriere22
That's a solid point; I always say that if a player can enjoy a mini hot streak that it proves him beyond any shadow of a doubt and any previous history is now irrelevant.

Considering how well you handled the discussion of Tanguay last time, I'm rather surprised you would start such a thread, especially in such a baiting manner. Good job all around.

Unfortunately this hot streak has spanned from last season...

Bender 10-26-2003 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laperriere22

Was more referring to this thread : http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=22042
than anything you might have said but since you agree with the 'leech' tag, yeah I guess a little of that is for you too.

You can have all the opinions you want on Tanguay, about him being soft, lousy defensively, has confidence problems, whatever. However, when you call him a leech, that's when I take offense, because, to me, a leech is someone who comes along for the ride and brings absolutely nothing to the group. Perhaps we have different definitions for what a 'leech' is but to me and a bunch of other Avs fans AND hockey fans in general (see thread) that is clearly not the case with Alex Tanguay. (see post from revolverjgw on page 8...that is a pretty accurate assessment of Tanguay)

He has 6 assists in the past 2 games and there are 2-3 of those goals if not more that would not have been scored if he had not made the initial great play. That is not the work of a leech.

Laperriere22* 10-26-2003 10:24 AM

Quote:

Was more referring to this thread : http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=22042
than anything you might have said but since you agree with the 'leech' tag, yeah I guess a little of that is for you too.

You can have all the opinions you want on Tanguay, about him being soft, lousy defensively, has confidence problems, whatever. However, when you call him a leech, that's when I take offense, because, to me, a leech is someone who comes along for the ride and brings absolutely nothing to the group. Perhaps we have different definitions for what a 'leech' is but to me and a bunch of other Avs fans AND hockey fans in general (see thread) that is clearly not the case with Alex Tanguay. (see post from revolverjgw on page 8...that is a pretty accurate assessment of Tanguay)

He has 6 assists in the past 2 games and there are 2-3 of those goals if not more that would not have been scored if he had not made the initial great play. That is not the work of a leech.

Thanks for linking me to what you were talking about. I haven't read a trade proposal or rumor in quite awhile and I just assumed everything was directed towards me (not a ridiculous assumption to make is it?). My mistake and my apologies.

Personally, I'd like to see Tanguay keep up his current play over the season (where he's outplaying Hejduk on that line). When Tanguay is playing confidently, he's not even the same kind of player. His play this year is light years ahead of what he was doing last year. Last year was Forsberg and Hejduk, with Tanguay having a few good games and getting points because of those two. This year, Tanguay is directly leading to goals being scored, which I didn't see much of from him last year. He's making the final pass or backing the defense off or taking quality shots. That's all I need to see from him. As for revolver???'s comments, take those with a grain of salt because he clearly said that he watched Tanguay in Halifax; so, there's going to be some bias involved there. If Tanguay plays like this all year, I won't berate him any further.

imagine29028 10-26-2003 02:29 PM

Quote:

and drury got his reputation as a clutch performer from the 2001 playoffs....so I don't see where he falls into that equation

Stastny 10-26-2003 07:16 PM

doubt his goal tonight helps his leech status. He didn't have to do anything on that but stand there.

evman150* 10-27-2003 09:49 PM

Quote:

:lol:

You come here to your little sanctuary after getting ripped apart on the nhl board. Couldn't take the heat, eh? Needed your opinions reinforced by your fellow av homers?

nathan 10-28-2003 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evman150

You come here to your little sanctuary after getting ripped apart on the nhl board. Couldn't take the heat, eh? Needed your opinions reinforced by your fellow av homers?

You come here to bait Avs fans?

Enoch 10-28-2003 07:26 AM

Quote:

I posted on that thread, and it was a complete joke. Ozy_Flame is a hypocrite, and has no class.

Laperriere22* 10-28-2003 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nathan

That sounds about par for the course for wee little evman; he and Super Joe ought to get along great.

evman150* 10-29-2003 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nathan

No of course not. I just find it funny when a guy comes running back to mommy after talking smack and getting his ass kicked.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Enoch 10-29-2003 03:15 PM

Quote:

No of course not. I just find it funny when a guy comes running back to mommy after talking smack and getting his ass kicked.

Every post of logic in that thread was either

A.) Ignored
B.) Ignored

st_roland 10-29-2003 08:18 PM

Quote:

you are a fool. nuckman won that argument and made that other guy look idiotic. I acknowledged it was a interesting discussion on that thread, but you come here and troll. *shakes head*