HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Lowe should call Press conference (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=22860)

Oilersyul89 10-25-2003 07:43 PM

Lowe should call Press conference

Kevin Lowe should call press conference tomorrow. He should announce that the Oilers will NO LONGER plater Oilers' hockey. Instead, they will adapt the new exciting style that marginal talented teams use in order to win. Again tonight another garbage team, the flames beat the Oilers by just sitting back and trapping and awaiting the little chances (PP's) or the mishaps of the wonderful D of the Oil (Brewer, Fergie chasing Oliwa).

I can't believe it has come to this. Sucking this badly.

P.S. Salo must got. I hope Conks is ok..

Oilhitch 10-25-2003 07:55 PM

yeah i have thought of this myself. But the Oilers are a very popular team because they do not adapt to this style of play. However I do like it much better when they win than lose (expecially to a team like Calgary, twice)

And I agree Salo had been brutal for the last two years but i highly doubt the Oilers are going to give up on him.

kruezer 10-25-2003 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny08
Kevin Lowe should call press conference tomorrow. He should announce that the Oilers will NO LONGER plater Oilers' hockey. Instead, they will adapt the new exciting style that marginal talented teams use in order to win. Again tonight another garbage team, the flames beat the Oilers by just sitting back and trapping and awaiting the little chances (PP's) or the mishaps of the wonderful D of the Oil (Brewer, Fergie chasing Oliwa).

I can't believe it has come to this. Sucking this badly.

P.S. Salo must got. I hope Conks is ok..

The Flames are not a 'garbage team' and they do not play the trap, they're PK (which was on alot and you may have mistaken it for the regular system) lines at least 3 guys on the blueline but they are normally a puck persuit team, as you can see when the Oilers did gain the zone, they were constantly pressuring the player with the puck. There system is far more Ottawa comparable then New Jersey or Minnesota like. They, however, do not have the offense talent of Ottawa, but they are starting to get some goals (4 tonight). Sure the Flames play good team-D by backchecking but they hardly just dump in the puck and wait, notice there constant little play to gain the line WHILE CARRYING THE PUCK where the come across the blueline and take a pass then turn and head into the other zone by coming behind the D-man and gaining at least the corner. And by the way Calgary had two PP goals and two EV strength goals.....Edmonton had two PP goals.....hmmmmm.

Belcriss 10-25-2003 09:35 PM

I will admit the Flames outworked the Oilers tonight, but, I will never condone the trap, or any form of it. I would rather watch the Oilers lose than watch them win playing boring hockey. The only reason the Oilers lost tonight was for three simple reasons, One, they didn't hit/check and two, they didn't skate and three... Salo didn't play very well. Its as simple as that. In the third period after they were down two goals, the bulk of the play was in Calgary's end. Had the Oilers done this from the first period on, and played a full 60 mins, they would not have lost. Its as simple as that.

kruezer 10-25-2003 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belcriss
I will admit the Flames outworked the Oilers tonight, but, I will never condone the trap, or any form of it. I would rather watch the Oilers lose than watch them win playing boring hockey. The only reason the Oilers lost tonight was for three simple reasons, One, they didn't hit/check and two, they didn't skate and three... Salo didn't play very well. Its as simple as that. In the third period after they were down two goals, the bulk of the play was in Calgary's end. Had the Oilers done this from the first period on, and played a full 60 mins, they would not have lost. Its as simple as that.

Exactly, as I said in other posts the Flames are older and more experienced, hence the Oilers not playing a full 60 mins, they lack experience, trust me on this one I'm a Flames fan, I know inexperience inside out :D I don't know if your suggesting it but the Flames do not play the trap, they play puck persuit, just like Sutter's old team in SJ played, they were never accused of being trappers, why are the Flames? Just cause they are playing low scoring games doesn't mean they trap, it means the offense ain't putting it together yet, they're getting chances, more than the Oilers did tonight. Also they just happen to play good D so they don't get blownout.

Belcriss 10-25-2003 09:48 PM

Maybe puck pursuit isn't the trap, but lining four across the blue line, or three on the pk is. Thats not true puck pursuit, thats make them dump it in (ala trap) and then persue. Another form of the trap. The Flames do play it, as San Jose did. The Oilers do not play that, they play high pressure, all the way down the line. Admittedly, tonight the Flames style worked, same as the last time they played. BUT.... the Oilers simply got outworked this night, and didn't deserve to win.

kruezer 10-25-2003 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belcriss
Maybe puck pursuit isn't the trap, but lining four across the blue line, or three on the pk is. Thats not true puck pursuit, thats make them dump it in (ala trap) and then persue. Another form of the trap. The Flames do play it, as San Jose did. The Oilers do not play that, they play high pressure, all the way down the line. Admittedly, tonight the Flames style worked, same as the last time they played. BUT.... the Oilers simply got outworked this night, and didn't deserve to win.

But lining 3 or 4 across the blue-line on the PK is NOT the trap, its called penalty killing, I mean NHL teams don't just drop back and allow the team to enter the zone and set up there PP, thats a ridiculous thought IMO. The Oilers do exactly the same thing on the PK. I mean there is always someone popping out before the opposition crosses center to challenge, and I think the Flames forced the Oilers to turn the puck over more on that same play than the Oilers could on the Flames. When looking at San Jose vs. say Minny think of it as a lower case look at the Ottawa-NJ comparison, Ottawa plays puck-pursuit hence there more goals scored than NJ. San Jose played more like Ottawa (check there goal stats when Sutter coached them) and in comparison Minny plays more like NJD, they play the counter-attack system.

The Oilers simply turned the puck over to Calgary more often then the Flames did to the Oilers. This was BECAUSE OF Calgary's high puck-pressure.

Mizral 10-25-2003 10:02 PM

Don't know why Oiler fans are complaining about the Flames defensive system. The Oilers are just as guilty as they are of trapping when the situation calls for it. My Canucks do it too.

kruezer 10-25-2003 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizral
Don't know why Oiler fans are complaining about the Flames defensive system. The Oilers are just as guilty as they are of trapping when the situation calls for it. My Canucks do it too.

Exactly, just like Calgary did sit back (which could have turned out badly) with about 10 minutes left, but they were still turning the puck over, but instead of puck-rushing they were just shooting it out, this hardly means they are a trapping team however, as you said Mizral all teams would do the same in a similar situation.

Hemsky4PM 10-25-2003 11:05 PM

Salo has been terrible. Nice to see him out celebrating the big loss at the "Rum" tonight. It has come to the point when wins are way more important than "prior history". If Conklin wins his next start (hopefully against CBJ) then he should play until he loses.

The question of "giving up on salo" is not important right now. The real question is "what team would actually want Salo???". I think none. Teams don't even want Kolzig, Burke or Joseph, why would anyone take Tommy at 4M per year when he's playing so badly (for 1 1/2 years).

momentai 10-25-2003 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizral
The Oilers are just as guilty as they are of trapping when the situation calls for it.

Not well though.

kraigus 10-26-2003 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momentai
Not well though.

Trapping well takes a commitment that the Oilers don't have, I think. (Incidentally, wasn't it Pouzar who messed up playing with Gretzky & co, by automatically doing a left wing lock and playing high? Good defense, but if you're used to run and gun, it'd play with your mind having a teammate do that, I bet. :) )

Why don't they? Well, it's not their regular system, they normally do play high-pressure hockey, so they don't practise it as much. It also takes, I believe, a lot of experience and discipline, something young teams like the Oilers just don't have. I mean, Ferguson is considered old at 30, and so is Cross. Smyth is what, 27, and he's the veteran Oiler. I think HE could do well at the trap, if he wanted to. :)

I think playing at least a lock is almost necessary in today's NHL, and certainly trapping on the PK is.

I don't mind the Oilers doing it, although I'm not too fond of it, but I see it as a necessary evil; just so long as they don't make it the entire game, I'm happy. I like seeing odd-man rushes, even coming back on Salo, every now and then.