HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   so.... how bad exactly are we? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=22862)

jadeddog 10-25-2003 07:49 PM

so.... how bad exactly are we?

i think it has come time to start predicting what chance we have in the lottery, lol

im not really "jumping to conclusions" here, as im sure some of you will state.... but really.... i think we all kinda know this deep down somewhere..... this team just isnt very good at all......

im wondering just how bad you think we are, and the reasons for our inability to play well

gretzky2kurri 10-25-2003 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jadeddog
i think it has come time to start predicting what chance we have in the lottery, lol

im not really "jumping to conclusions" here, as im sure some of you will state.... but really.... i think we all kinda know this deep down somewhere..... this team just isnt very good at all......

im wondering just how bad you think we are, and the reasons for our inability to play well

They are a young team that got beat by an older/mature team that's well coached.

Oilhitch 10-25-2003 07:51 PM

yeah i guess right now Ovechkin is looking pretty good.

Whitenoise 10-25-2003 07:53 PM

The offense was bad tonight, but they still got two goals and even had the lead. Some horrible PK'ing and defensive breakdowns were the Oilers' demise tonight. They can learn, but the defense is so shoddy right now that I'd be surprised if they came around very soon. This could be a long season.

cram 10-25-2003 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitenoise
The offense was bad tonight, but they still got two goals and even had the lead. Some horrible PK'ing and defensive breakdowns were the Oilers' demise tonight. They can learn, but the defense is so shoddy right now that I'd be surprised if they came around very soon. This could be a long season.

Do not start with all this "the season is over" talk before we reach game 10, please people, we're all frustrated, this team obviously needs time to gel. It's not a bad team, it's a team that on any given night can come up big and beat on a team like Colorado, right now, the confidence is down after that game we gave away to the Blues and after the shellacking we took in Denver, but relax, we started slow last year too and we still made the post season. I know there are flaws, and our goaltender's bad habits are making him look awful and some of our players are indifferent and some are trying to do too much and some are doing everything right except the puck isn't going in, it looks more to me like this team is not in sync rahter then being a crap team, I think roles are being determined and some of these guys haven't figured them out yet, even MacT hasnít, he said it himself at the start of the year, he wasn't sure of what he had, but patience, if this inept play continues over the next two or three weeks, then I will be the first to recognize this team sucks, but I really don't think so, I think they will start clicking sooner rather then later, but I agree the Comrie situation needs to be resolve PRONTO!...man, it's hard being an Oiler fan, but for the life of me, I wouldn't cheer for anyone else.

Whitenoise 10-26-2003 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cram
Do not start with all this "the season is over" talk before we reach game 10, please people, we're all frustrated, this team obviously needs time to gel.

I didn't say the season is over, but it's games like this one and the St. Louis game where the Oilers were winning and then blew it that could come back and haunt the team in the final standings. These games matter just as much as the ones at the end of the season. They need to turn it around and start winning divisional games before the hole is too big to climb out of.

jadeddog 10-26-2003 06:28 AM

im not saying he season is over.... what im saying is that - as of right now, this team is horrible.... now that doesnt mean that they cant start playing good hockey.... but im not so sure they will to be honest

tommy doesnt look like hes gonna turn his bad play around anytime soon at all.... dvorak, for all the hard work he has done, isnt getting any results..... our defence (other than maybe fergy and staios) has been GOD AWFUL..... our best player is 20 years old (which is both great and scary at the same time)..... we dont have a legitimate 1st line centre, hell - we dont have a legit 2nd line center either really.....we're taking penalty after penalty after penalty after penalty after penalty after, well you get the idea

about our only bright spots have been: the aforementioned 20 year old, smyth has been solid as always, cross has been a welcome surprise, ive liked staios' play as well, dvorak has actually been playing well IMO.... but really, other than these few good areas it hasnt been very encouraging

pei_bruins 10-26-2003 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jadeddog

We need to be able to start to win these games in which they have the lead. The Oilers as a team over the last 7-8 years have never been good at holding the lead when they get it. I would almost rather see them down a goal or two in the third period, it seems as though they play better. What I think they need is a veteren presence in the dressing room to help these young guys out and teach them how to play with the lead. Just like Dallas had with Kirk Muller. I mean if the Oil would have had a Muller type player on their team against Dallas in the playoffs over the last number of years, they may have won one or two of those series'. That's why I wanted Edmonton to sign Messier at the beginning of the season. He'd look a hell of a lot better out there than Horcoff at center. There are still a few guys out there that haven't been signed as of yet that I think could help us. How about Adam Oates or a Steve Thomas?? Look what they both did for Anaheim last season. They need to sign a couple guys who know what it takes to win close games, who have been there before. Make a splash Lowe, before it is too late.

hossy316 10-26-2003 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pei_bruins
We need to be able to start to win these games in which they have the lead. The Oilers as a team over the last 7-8 years have never been good at holding the lead when they get it. I would almost rather see them down a goal or two in the third period, it seems as though they play better. What I think they need is a veteren presence in the dressing room to help these young guys out and teach them how to play with the lead. Just like Dallas had with Kirk Muller. I mean if the Oil would have had a Muller type player on their team against Dallas in the playoffs over the last number of years, they may have won one or two of those series'. That's why I wanted Edmonton to sign Messier at the beginning of the season. He'd look a hell of a lot better out there than Horcoff at center. There are still a few guys out there that haven't been signed as of yet that I think could help us. How about Adam Oates or a Steve Thomas?? Look what they both did for Anaheim last season. They need to sign a couple guys who know what it takes to win close games, who have been there before. Make a splash Lowe, before it is too late.

Agreed!!

IceDragoon 10-26-2003 07:33 AM

Quote:

Do not start with all this "the season is over" talk before we reach game 10, please people, we're all frustrated, this team obviously needs time to gel. It's not a bad team, it's a team that on any given night can come up big and beat on a team like Colorado, right now, the confidence is down after that game we gave away to the Blues and after the shellacking we took in Denver, but relax, we started slow last year too and we still made the post season. I know there are flaws, and our goaltender's bad habits are making him look awful and some of our players are indifferent and some are trying to do too much and some are doing everything right except the puck isn't going in, it looks more to me like this team is not in sync rahter then being a crap team, I think roles are being determined and some of these guys haven't figured them out yet, even MacT hasnít, he said it himself at the start of the year, he wasn't sure of what he had, but patience, if this inept play continues over the next two or three weeks, then I will be the first to recognize this team sucks, but I really don't think so, I think they will start clicking sooner rather then later, but I agree the Comrie situation needs to be resolve PRONTO!...man, it's hard being an Oiler fan, but for the life of me, I wouldn't cheer for anyone else.

I 'hear' the voice of reason, amidst all the 'off with his head' insanity on this, and other, forums. :D

I've been an Oilers fan for 30+ years and altho it has been difficult at times, this team is in my heart. Our young team, with many 'new' faces, has more character and talent than I have seen in many years. However, it's going to take time, practice, and a lot more game play, to get them all on the same page. Once they get to the point where they can be counted on positionally, then we'll see them excel on a more regular basis.

Many have been suggesting patience, but it appears to be falling on the deaf ears of those who demand 'instant gratification'. Hang in there, cram. Anything worth having, is worth waiting for. For whatever it's worth, I 'hear' you. :D

Digger12 10-26-2003 07:35 AM

What boggles my mind is that merely 2 years ago, the Oilers were the 2nd best defensive team in the entire NHL. The team I see now is a pale shadow of what it used to be in terms of defensive coverage.

What happened here? :dunno:

Meanashell11 10-26-2003 07:42 AM

It is damn hard to be an Oiler fan that is for sure. Right now this team has three glaring holes on it. The need for a real number one center, a pp quarterback, and a leader. We have a number of assets to give up to get this. There has to be a package that Low can put together when we have head cases like Comrie, Laracque, Isbister, Smith that we can pool together. I still think signing Comrie is the best thing for that situation but Laracque has been a total disaster. Right now if you had to choose between Laracque and Grier who would you take?? I also think our coaching is very suspect. I know we have argued ad nauseum on this topic but you cant change the whole team and we just signed MacT to a new contract so I think we are going to have a tough season. One thing that really kills me is if we are going to battle for the final playopof spot and bow out quickly thereafter we should just goal for a lottery spot aand at least pick some decent rookies.

jadeddog 10-26-2003 07:49 AM

thats my whole point in my respond to the other thread talking about ottawa vs. edomonton

we will prolly either finish in the 8-10th range this year and might even get lucky and win the 1str rond series, giving our owners some much needed cash... but thats really it, and we cant really even EXPECT more.... we are a average to below average team, and will stay that way until the CBA changes or we start getting some top-5 picks in the drafts to try and pick up some franchise players.... now im not saying that we kill this season on purpose, but the facts are the facts.... and until we either have 2-3 REALLY bad seasons and get the resulting draft picks, or until the CBA levels out the playing field DRASTICALLY.... we are basically screwed

creative giant* 10-26-2003 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meanashell11
One thing that really kills me is if we are going to battle for the final playopof spot and bow out quickly thereafter we should just goal for a lottery spot aand at least pick some decent rookies.

That would be ideal, espescially considering that next year there may not be any hockey, but how do you tell your players not to try and win? You would end up losing more money through attendance and merchandise sales with a crappy team than the prospect is worth

cram 10-26-2003 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IceDragoon
I 'hear' the voice of reason, amidst all the 'off with his head' insanity on this, and other, forums. :D

I've been an Oilers fan for 30+ years and altho it has been difficult at times, this team is in my heart. Our young team, with many 'new' faces, has more character and talent than I have seen in many years. However, it's going to take time, practice, and a lot more game play, to get them all on the same page. Once they get to the point where they can be counted on positionally, then we'll see them excel on a more regular basis.

Many have been suggesting patience, but it appears to be falling on the deaf ears of those who demand 'instant gratification'. Hang in there, cram. Anything worth having, is worth waiting for. For whatever it's worth, I 'hear' you. :D

Thanks, it's good to know I am not the only one who sees things this way.

IceDragoon 10-26-2003 01:52 PM

Quote:

Thanks, it's good to know I am not the only one who sees things this way.

:lol: Not by a long shot. Does the phrase 'silent majority' mean anything to you? ;)

hmminvisiblecola1279 10-26-2003 01:55 PM

edmonton desperately needs a number one centre, a decent powerplay, and last but not least a leader. other than that wwwwwwoooohhhhooooo go oilers.

cram 10-26-2003 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IceDragoon
:lol: Not by a long shot. Does the phrase 'silent majority' mean anything to you? ;)

LOL, of course it does,I work in real estate! They're the few thousands who never come to our public info sessions!!