HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Oiler report card (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=22873)

hockeyaddict101 10-25-2003 08:27 PM

Oiler report card

The Oilers were outworked, out skated, out muscled. The forwards are getting to far ahead of the defense so the team is having trouble breaking out.

Brewer - Lack of confidence and over thinking are his major problems. Another tough game.

Chimera - Playing a little better showed some emotion tonight.

Cross - Keeps the game simple, many of the Oilers could learn from him.

Dvorak - Showing a lot of hustle, but I am getting a little sick of the lack of production.

Ferguson - Another guy that showed some emotion and I didn't really notice him and that is good.

Hemsky - Teams are now cheating towards the other players leaving him no one to pass too. Hemsky one word for you, SHOOT!

Horcoff - No real offensive flair, but played ok defensively. Not talented enough to play anywhere near the first line.

Laraque - Quick fight, had one good shift where he controlled the boards and created a goal scoring chance. Other than that nothing.

Moreau - One of the few players that has showed up every game. Showed lots of try again.

Pisani - Didn't really notice him.

Reasoner - Didn't really notice him.

Salo - Made one really good save, but went down to soon at the Oliwa goal. His play has been average this season and that is not good enough.

Semenov - I thought he played well, was more physical tonight. This is the kind of game that he has to play to continue to stay in the lineup.

Smith - I thought he was a major culprit, when it comes to getting the puck to the forwards up the ice.

Smyth - Was Smitty tonight. One of the few Oilers played well.

Staios - Played ok, nothing spectaculor.

Stoll - Really didn't notice him.

Torres - Didn't notice him.

York - Didn't notice him.

Narnia 10-25-2003 08:33 PM

Why did Torres only play 4:15? Did he get injured or something? Do you think it would be a good idea to have Laraque a healthy scratch for the next game? I sure do. I think Izzy may be able to do the same as Laraque. What do you think? Maybe it's time for Laraque to be traded.

MrMackey 10-25-2003 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oilers89
Why did Torres only play 4:15? Did he get injured or something? Do you think it would be a good idea to have Laraque a healthy scratch for the next game? I sure do. I think Izzy may be able to do the same as Laraque. What do you think? Maybe it's time for Laraque to be traded.

I agree. Laraque could go.

I'm willing to be patient with Isbister through this season, but not a game more if he doesn't turn things around.

dawgbone 10-25-2003 08:39 PM

I don't agree with either your laraque or Salo comments...

Laraque did nothing but finish every single one of his checks. He hit at every opportunity he had.

Oliwa is the last player in the league who you expect that move from. Guys with stone hands generally go for a backhand, because it is a harder shot for a goaltender to stop, and Salo played that percentage and lost.

Besides, that outside-inside move is the hardest for a goaltender to stop, especially at that speed.

Whitenoise 10-25-2003 08:49 PM

Here are mine:

Brewer- not so good, but an improvement on the last couple of games. That's not saying much, though. C-

Chimera- showed a little spunk early in the first. Didn't notice him much after that. C-

Cross- simple game and drew a major out of Iginla. C+

Dvorak- start producing, please. He worked hard but we need points out of him. C

Ferguson- fought and did his usual thing. May have been one of the main culprits on the Oliwa goal, but I'm not sure but I won't hold it against him for now. C

Hemsky- his creativity backfired a lot tonight. At least he was trying. C-

Horcoff- back to the grinder role with you. D+

Moreau- actually had a couple of chances, but we all know he ain't exactly Bure out there. B-

Pisani- shrug. C-

Reasoner- can't even recall his name being mentioned in the play-by-play. Didn't do anything wrong that I can recall, though. C-

Salo- none of his patented soft/weird goals tonight. He never made any huge saves and he got deked out by Oliwa. Uhh, yeah. D+

Semenov- looked great blasting away on the powerplay and showed a bit of confidence. 5on5 needs work, but at least he was better than Brewer. B-

Smith- blah. Mixed it up a little bit at least. C-

Smyth- best Oiler on the night. He was really the only guy creating stuff out there. A-

Staios- shrug. C-

Stoll, Torres- hardly got to play so I'm not going to grade them.

Laraque- fight and a dumb penalty. D

York- not even as noticeable as Dvorak. D+

Isbister- really used his size to cut in line at the popcorn machine. By the end of the game, he was holding two bags of popcorn and balancing a coke on his knees. A+

hockeyaddict101 10-25-2003 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawgbone
I don't agree with either your laraque or Salo comments...

Laraque did nothing but finish every single one of his checks. He hit at every opportunity he had.

Oliwa is the last player in the league who you expect that move from. Guys with stone hands generally go for a backhand, because it is a harder shot for a goaltender to stop, and Salo played that percentage and lost.

Besides, that outside-inside move is the hardest for a goaltender to stop, especially at that speed.

I guess it comes down to expectations for Laraque. One of the reasons he is here to be dominating in the offensive zone and IMO he didn't do that. Yes he played ok defensively but he also took a silly penalty which I forgot to mention.

As for Salo it was breakaway and obviously there were five guys that are also responsible but I feel he is guessing right now. Which shows a lack of confidence. Though I agree with your point that he guessed and lost but goatenders are taught to let the player made the first move not guess.

FacelessButcher 10-25-2003 08:51 PM

Quote:

I thought it would be a good idea to trade George for awhile now hes expensive and rarely the best player on the ice and has high market value. From a GM standpoint the loss in jersey and merchandise sales will be huge not to mention fan support+possible backlash, I wonder how much his departure would affect team chemistry since everyone likes him so much. :dunno: I don't think I would make him first on my chopping block but I would be willing to listen if a good offer came our way, I probably would not of traded him 2 years ago without a grievous overpayment but I don't feel that to be the case anymore.

dawgbone 10-25-2003 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spaz44
I guess it comes down to expectations for Laraque. He is here to be dominating in the offensive zone and IMO he didn't do that.

As for Salo it was breakaway and obviously there were five guys that are also responsible but I feel he is guessing right now. Which shows a lack of confidence. Though I agree with your point that he guessed and lost but goatenders are taught to let the player made the first move not guess.

Laraque's job is to play a physical game, be a spark, and defend his teammates.

He threw at least 8 solid hits tonight, he fought, and the penalty he took was on Gauthier... I'll take those any day.

Oliwa did make the first move, if anything, Salo may have been back a little too far in his net. Would we be complaining if Iginla made the exact same move? Oliwa made a great move, and especially because it came from him, it makes it even harder for a goaltender to stop.

Whitenoise 10-25-2003 08:56 PM

Quote:

He threw at least 8 solid hits tonight, he fought, and the penalty he took was on Gauthier... I'll take those any day.

I'm sick of the Oilers taking dumb penalties against him. He's a puss and he won't drop them. You could see him laughing in the Oilers' faces when they were taking shots at him and getting called for it. He plays the antagonist role up every time they play Edmonton and the Oilers fall for it every time. Punching him in the visor after the whistle isn't going to deter him; it's going to have the opposite effect.

hockeyaddict101 10-25-2003 08:57 PM

Quote:

Oliwa did make the first move, if anything, Salo may have been back a little too far in his net. Would we be complaining if Iginla made the exact same move? Oliwa made a great move, and especially because it came from him, it makes it even harder for a goaltender to stop.

The dumb penalty he took did create a spark but it wasn't for the Oilers. He threw some good checks but wasn't dominating in the zone and that is what I expect. I didn't say he played a bad game but he didn't play a great game IMO.

I am not blaming salo for that goal but I thought he guessed by going down and has been doing that all year.

I am not blaming Salo for the loss but I believe he can play better.

Narnia 10-25-2003 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitenoise
I'm sick of the Oilers taking dumb penalties against him. He's a puss and he won't drop them. You could see him laughing in the Oilers' faces when they were taking shots at him and getting called for it. He plays the antagonist role up every time they play Edmonton and the Oilers fall for it every time. Punching him in the visor after the whistle isn't going to deter him; it's going to have the opposite effect.

The problem with Laraque is his size. He hits someone and he gets penalized. Smaller players go horseback riding on him and get away with it. How many times have we seen players draped all over Laraque and nothing is called.

dawgbone 10-25-2003 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spaz44
The dumb penalty he took did create a spark but it wasn't for the Oilers. He threw some good checks but wasn't dominating in the zone and that is what I expect. I didn't say he played a bad game but he didn't play a great game IMO.

I am not blaming salo for that goal but I thought he guessed by going down and has been doing that all year.

I am not blaming Salo for the loss but I believe he can play better.

Part of the problem tonight was that Laraque's linemates weren't able to gain control of the puck in the offensive zone, or at least tie it down until they could get all three forwards low.

I don't think they had one cycle all night, and most of it had to do with the fact that the Flames defence were moving the puck really quickly.

hockeyaddict101 10-25-2003 09:06 PM

Quote:

Part of the problem tonight was that Laraque's linemates weren't able to gain control of the puck in the offensive zone, or at least tie it down until they could get all three forwards low.

I don't think they had one cycle all night, and most of it had to do with the fact that the Flames defence were moving the puck really quickly.

Thats true as well, the Flames were very sound in their own zone and outworked the Oilers this evening.

No doubt about it.

kruezer 10-25-2003 09:09 PM

Quote:

The problem with Laraque is his size. He hits someone and he gets penalized. Smaller players go horseback riding on him and get away with it. How many times have we seen players draped all over Laraque and nothing is called.

I think this is equal though, I mean if someone rides on (pre-injury) Derian Hatchers back is the ref gonna be more leniant than if its on Pavel Datsyuk's back? I would think so, its the way things are for all players because it will seem like less of a penalty because Hatch may not go down but most likely Pavel will because he doesn't have the strength to do it, thats the price you pay for being a big guy, but its better than diving or something to get those calls.

TheBrew 10-26-2003 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitenoise

Isbister- really used his size to cut in line at the popcorn machine. By the end of the game, he was holding two bags of popcorn and balancing a coke on his knees. A+

:lol: :joker: