HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Islanders (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   REEEAAAALLY excited about Tambellini (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=228875)

blinkman360 03-08-2006 11:23 PM

REEEAAAALLY excited about Tambellini

I've been reading all over these boards the past hour and a half to see some outside input on this deal. These are the two things I've learned:

1. Most fans seem to think Grebeshkov will never reach the potential that he has, but some think he will and will be a top 2 defenseman.

2. Tambellini is a STUD! EVERYONE is praising this guy, LA fans and NHL fans alike. One guy posted that he thinks Tambellini is a future 40 goal scorer. Another said he has one of the sickest wrist shots he has ever seen. I'm freaking salivating over the thought of this guy in an Islander uniform. Stick him on a line with O'Marra at center and Nilsson at RW and we can POTENTIALLY have a VERY VERY VERY dangerous top line.

boredmale 03-08-2006 11:32 PM

I read a rumor on the 4th period saying Parrish might be traded for either Tambellini or Grebeshkov, i said to myself after reading a lil on the Kings forum if we do get Tambellini i will be happy to move Parrish.

Grebeshkov on the other hand sounds like he might become our new Kvasha(great 1 shift, non existant the rest of the week).

If nothing else this trade frees up alot of cap room so we can sign a good defenseman in the offseason and we geta great prospect as well as a ok prospect in return.

Herby 03-09-2006 06:24 AM

Tambellini is also an explosive skater, this guy can flat out fly. And like you mentioned, he has a great Sakic like arsenal of shots. Its tough to give him up, because IMO at worst he is a speedy 15-20 goal winger. His upside is a 30-40 goal first liner.

As for Grebeshkov, he is just one of those guys who really hasn't improved from the day he was drafted, I think he'll play in the NHL, but this guy is closer to being Joel Bouchard than he is to being Wade Redden or Sergei Zubov.

Capt Reynolds 03-09-2006 06:43 AM

The way I look at it is this:

We turned Parrish into a guy who all the reports from scouts as well as LA fans indicate *at worst* we be a Jason Blake like player who is fast as hell and good for 20ish goals. At best, he could be a true stud with top six (possibly top line) potential. Zowee, you gotta love that!

We turned Sopel into *at worst* $2.4million in cap space next year! :D At best, Grebs does pan out with the change of scenery and a little maturity. He seems to be much more or a 'boom or bust' than Tambi, because Tambi is a sure-fire NHLer with the only question being how high he peaks. Grebs on the other hand sounds like he either will be a stud top 4 Dman (possibly top pairing) or a complete washout who never makes it or departs soon b/c he can't overcome his mental errors and defensive deficiencies. FWIW, he is +7 with the Monarchs this year. Hopefully he does turn his game around. If not, at worst we got that cap space, which given how awful Sopel was for most of this season that is a win in itself.

The bonus: a third round pick this year if the Kings (currently sitting in 6th) make the playoffs.

I think this is a classic win-win trade, with the Isles getting cap space, a great prospect, another prospect with big upside but big risks, and a good pick with meetable conditions, and LA getting great scoring depth for a playoff run and defenseman in Sopel who has been playing better of late, did much better in the West, and hopefully clicks when paired with the right guy.

can_m_2001 03-09-2006 07:49 AM

don't get me wrong, but I liked Parrish, scorer, leader in the dressing room. If tambilini is that good, why did L.A. trade him? I know Parrish was going to be a free agent in the off season, and Isles needed to trade or lose him. And I think L.A. was aware of this, so again why did L.A. trade him?

garypl 03-09-2006 07:57 AM

because we asked for him and they had to trade someone of value to get the deal done, no??

KingsFan7824 03-09-2006 08:35 AM

Quote:

If tambilini is that good, why did L.A. trade him?
If Gretzky can be traded, twice, anyone is up for grabs.

The Kings traded him because they wanted to get some help to make the playoffs, then maybe do something once there. We'll see how that goes.

Plus the Kings have a number of forward prospects, and they all can't fit into the team at the same time. Tukonen, Pushkarev, and Kanko in Manchester. Brian Boyle, and Anze Kopitar in college and Europe. They have Frolov, Cammalleri, Demitra, and Conroy in their top 6 for next season. Maybe Brown if he continues to mature. Maybe Parrish if the Kings sign him.

Tambellini could be a good one. He's a point-a-game guy in the AHL as a rookie. If the Islanders are out of it this year, hopefully he'll get plenty of playing time.

#66 03-09-2006 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herby
Tambellini is also an explosive skater, this guy can flat out fly. And like you mentioned, he has a great Sakic like arsenal of shots. Its tough to give him up, because IMO at worst he is a speedy 15-20 goal winger. His upside is a 30-40 goal first liner.

As for Grebeshkov, he is just one of those guys who really hasn't improved from the day he was drafted, I think he'll play in the NHL, but this guy is closer to being Joel Bouchard than he is to being Wade Redden or Sergei Zubov.

IMO Grebeshkov is at least a sideways move from Sopel and he comes cheaper. He still has an upside that can be reached but I would feel alot better for you guys if Jacques Lapierre was still around. If the Islanders land a new coach that brings structure to the team it could really help Grebeshkov because it would simplify the game for him. I think he gets in trouble when he tries to do to much so I wouldn't overly judge him until more defensive structure is added.

kasper11 03-09-2006 10:18 AM

Best part about Tambellini is he seems really excited to be an Islander (read quote in main thread on trade). Can't wait to see him in the lineup....although I wouldn't be shocked if he struggled early just from being too excited and trying to do too much.

willie 03-09-2006 10:19 AM

You guys should be very happy with Tambellini. Truthfully, I think you *easily* won this deal.

I must add though, I wouldn't hold my breath on O'Marra being a first line center. He's a great player and should be terrific 3rd or perhaps 2nd line center but I would be shocked to see him develop into a first line center. He just isn't that offensively talented.

Seph 03-09-2006 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #66
IMO Grebeshkov is at least a sideways move from Sopel and he comes cheaper. He still has an upside that can be reached but I would feel alot better for you guys if Jacques Lapierre was still around. If the Islanders land a new coach that brings structure to the team it could really help Grebeshkov because it would simplify the game for him. I think he gets in trouble when he tries to do to much so I wouldn't overly judge him until more defensive structure is added.

I always felt better with Laperriere around. It was no surprise at all that NJ swooped down on him the minute we let him go. Honestly, I don't know what the Isles were thinking with that one.

Seph 03-09-2006 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willie
You guys should be very happy with Tambellini. Truthfully, I think you *easily* won this deal.

I must add though, I wouldn't hold my breath on O'Marra being a first line center. He's a great player and should be terrific 3rd or perhaps 2nd line center but I would be shocked to see him develop into a first line center. He just isn't that offensively talented.

I don't expect O'Marra to ever be a traditional first liner in the top offensive forward mold. What I'm hoping is that he can be a first liner by providing offensive support to the real offensive talents, while holding down the fort defensively (allows the offensive guys to take more risks and helps the line avoid becoming a liability) and using his size and strength to open up space for the littler guys to operate. Think Arnott for the Devils, Peca for the Sabres, Conroy for the Flames, Rucchin for the Ducks, etc.

Capt Reynolds 03-09-2006 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by can_m_2001
don't get me wrong, but I liked Parrish, scorer, leader in the dressing room. If tambilini is that good, why did L.A. trade him? I know Parrish was going to be a free agent in the off season, and Isles needed to trade or lose him. And I think L.A. was aware of this, so again why did L.A. trade him?

Well that's an easy one to answer -- they believe they can make a run in the playoffs, and Junior is too young to help them with that push. Parrish is better "now" even if Tambi has very good upside "in the future."

Le Golie 03-09-2006 11:26 AM

I haven't seen Tambellini for three years, but last I saw him I wasn't overly impressed. He wasn't able to drive the net and had no finish....

Those concerns are probably unfair because of the way he has put up numbers since then, but I'll reserve my excitement until I see him do the things he couldn't do at the world juniors when he was playing with a 16 year old who constantly set him up but he couldn't finish.

By all recent accounts, those concerns have gone away. From all recent reports he and Nilsson seem like a match made in heaven.

willie 03-09-2006 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seph
I don't expect O'Marra to ever be a traditional first liner in the top offensive forward mold. What I'm hoping is that he can be a first liner by providing offensive support to the real offensive talents, while holding down the fort defensively (allows the offensive guys to take more risks and helps the line avoid becoming a liability) and using his size and strength to open up space for the littler guys to operate. Think Arnott for the Devils, Peca for the Sabres, Conroy for the Flames, Rucchin for the Ducks, etc.

Fair enough. I'm still inclined though to think he will be a third line center as oppossed to a 'pseudo #1' center like the aforementioned.

I've watched a lot of Erie games this season and I have been rather dissapointed with his play. He should be doing a much better job of carrying the Otters on his shoulders and he has been a key reason as to why Erie wont be in the playoffs. (and they certainly are talented enough to be there) He just doesn't possess a lot of skill and can't create offense on his own with any consistency. (and the NHL level is a whole another planet)

I still think he is a terrific all around player but I think he'll be more suited as a quality third line center, alternate captain type of player. But I'll be happy to be proven wrong as I do like him as a player. :)

#66 03-09-2006 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seph

Good call on O'Marra. He's not an asset because of his skill, he's an asset because he has Sutter-like qualities.

Seph 03-09-2006 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willie
Fair enough. I'm still inclined though to think he will be a third line center as oppossed to a 'pseudo #1' center like the aforementioned.

I've watched a lot of Erie games this season and I have been rather dissapointed with his play. He should be doing a much better job of carrying the Otters on his shoulders and he has been a key reason as to why Erie wont be in the playoffs. (and they certainly are talented enough to be there) He just doesn't possess a lot of skill and can't create offense on his own with any consistency. (and the NHL level is a whole another planet)

I still think he is a terrific all around player but I think he'll be more suited as a quality third line center, alternate captain type of player. But I'll be happy to be proven wrong as I do like him as a player. :)

Well, it's certainly nice to talk with someone who has seen him play a lot. Offensively what do see as his shortcomings? All reports at the draft were that he had excellent playmaking ability and was good on breakaways. Is this not the case? Or is it just that he has a difficult time putting it together consistantly?

Statman 03-09-2006 11:59 AM

Grebs

Does anyone know if Grebs is going down to the minors or will they bring him up to the Island??

Thanks

Sparkalina 03-09-2006 12:11 PM

does anyone think that the Isles getting Steve Tambellini's son is a sign of the Isles getting Steve Tambellini as GM? That was the first thing I thought!!! :banana:

Seph 03-09-2006 12:25 PM

Honestly, I hope it isn't. It's one of those things that's best to steer clear of, it's particularly hard to be objective with your kids. Sure, he might not favor his son, but that often leads to being too hard on the kid. If anything, I kinda hope this is a sign that Tambellini isn't going to get the job.

Anyway, I like Sutter and Lombardi better.

Capt Reynolds 03-09-2006 12:33 PM

FWIW, McKenzie is saying today that Lombardi (yay!) and Weisbrod (ugh!) are the frontrunners, although my guess is this is all fourth-hand information to him. It probably also is just that they are the 'current' frontrunners, but with Sutter and Tambi still not on board that can change.

Riddick 03-09-2006 01:18 PM

any chance of maybe seeing tambellini up here at some point in the remaining 2 month or so?

Seph 03-09-2006 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riddick
any chance of maybe seeing tambellini up here at some point in the remaining 2 month or so?

I'd say a very good chance. Isles are hurting on LW depth and he seems about as ready as they come to step in. Not to mention, it's been alluded that both guys will be expected to step in right away.

Stephen 03-09-2006 02:03 PM

I'm very surprised at how much you guys were able to get for Sopel and Parrish. Nice trade for you guys and severe overpayment by the Kings.

Hawerchuk9 03-12-2006 07:58 PM

I'm an habs fan but I must say I'm pretty excited for the Islanders fans about that trade. Let's see how those prospects turns out but it's looking really interesting right now. My humble opinion: you stole that one.

:handclap: