HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Colorado Avalanche (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Surgery for Hahl? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=22889)

nathan 10-25-2003 10:43 PM

Surgery for Hahl?

link
Quote:

It appears Avs center Riku Hahl is going to be out for an extended period, possibly the rest of the season.

Hahl probably will have surgery for a shoulder injury that could include a broken bone, although the Avs have not gotten specific about the extent of the injury. But team officials said Hahl could be out four to six months.
That sucks. Hahl was getting into a groove of his own. Damn, Svatos...out for the season. Hahl...possibly...

RoyIsALegend* 10-25-2003 10:58 PM

I'd rather have Paul Kariya back next week and not out for the season, personally. He's a bit more important than Riku Hahl and Marek Svatos.

dempsey_k* 10-25-2003 11:04 PM

This is a fairly big blow to our depth, even if Kariya is much more important than Hahl. Losing Svatos, Battaglia, and Hahl ? Not fun kids, not fun for our energy lines.

I just hope this means Larsen gets his chance. (he's still with us or did I miss something during waivers?)

RoyIsALegend* 10-25-2003 11:14 PM

Steve Moore r0x0rs your b0x0rz.

Goulet17 10-26-2003 01:52 AM

Hahl is a very solid player. His loss not only hurts the depth of the 3rd and 4th lines but also as a penalty killer.

With Svatos out for possibly the season, it really hurts the Avs depth.
People will discount the loss and just focus on the first or second line pleyers, but the fact is that it is the 3rd and 4th lines that have often let the Avs down in the playoffs and have meant the difference in losing to teams with better forward depth like Dallas or Detroit.

Let's not forget that Worrell has yet to play, and McAllister will be out an extended period of time with his knee injury.

Cummins was also injured last night during his fight in Nashville, so he may be out for a while, he is being evaluated today.

Concerning Worrell, the Denver Post had a statement from Granato in which he commented (to a question as to whether Worrell will need surgery) that they didn't anticipate Worrell having surgery at this time. It sounds to me that Worrell will be out a long time still, and that the Avs will have to evaluate if he needs surgery eventually. So who knows at this point what contributions the Avs can expect to get from Worrell this season.

For tonight's game, depending on the extent of Cummins' injury, the Avs may have only 11 forwards to dress this evening, and 17 skaters overall.

The loss of all of these 3rd and 4th line players has to change the Avs thinking somewhat regarding deadline trade acquisitions. With Hahl likely out, the Avs will have to acquire a 4th line veteran centermen with faceoff abilities, and perhaps another 3rd or 4th line player for depth purposes. This doesn't account for the acquisition of a veteran goaltender to at least backup Aebischer going into the playoffs (if not a starter). The Avs have lost another trade bargaining chip in Hahl (to go with the earlier loss of Svatos). I don't think the Avs have the roster depth to trade anyone else off their roster to make upgrades in trades, so it is going to make Lacroix's job potentially more difficult.

The other aspect of all of this is with Cummins potentially out, the Avs have no enforcer, or anyone in their lineup capable of acting as a deterrence to teams going after the Avs stars. This isn't a great start to the season, because based history, the Avs will lose more players to injury. It looks like with the Svatos, Hahl, Worrell injuries, the Avs are on pace to far exceed their man games lost limits of the recent seasons.

Jori 10-26-2003 04:39 AM

Losing Hahl does hurt. Once Kariya returns, I still think the Avs will have a very good third line with Nikolishin and Konowalchuk, its the fourth line that concerns me. Hershey lost their first game of the season last night, you have to think all these call ups are stating to effect them. Nobody is going to feel sorry for the Avs, you just have to keep going and hope for the best.

I know the Avs lose some toughness in Cummins, but I find his injury to be a blessing in disguise, assuming Worrell returns in the near future.

iAvs 10-26-2003 11:33 AM

Avs call up Travis Brigley. He'll be wearing #60 tonight against BUF Sabres.

Sucky news about Hahl. But, I'm not concerned about this teams depth...as long as the core stays intact, we should overcome this injury bug.

Nords 10-26-2003 01:26 PM

Totally unrelated, but damn Super_Joe i love your Avatar :handclap:

BearsFan30 10-28-2003 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jori_18_23
Hershey lost their first game of the season last night, you have to think all these call ups are stating to effect them

They are starting to hurt, but not as bad as you might think, we really didn't have our hearts in it, I think we would have been ok (like Sunday) if we would have tried harder.