HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Guerin headed to the Leafs??? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=22906)

SeNs2004ChAmPs 10-26-2003 01:55 AM

Guerin headed to the Leafs???

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Ottawa...26/237216.html

wonder what the Leafs would have to give up for those two..would have to be alot i would think..........

leafaholix* 10-26-2003 02:41 AM

Rumours, rumours, rumours.....

Another rumour from that same article...

"There's talk the Caps might move D Sergei Gonchar and the Leafs have shown an interest..."

leafaholix* 10-26-2003 03:04 AM

Hehehe... I just noticed who the article's from.

THE BLOB!

The credibility just dropped a few dozen notches.

stanley 10-26-2003 03:20 AM

My favorite line from Garrioch: "The Leafs need help on the blue line so acquiring Matvichuk, who has fallen out of favour in Dallas, would make a lot of sense."

I could really use some money to pay some things off, so robbing $100K from my local bank, who has more money than they know what to do with, would make a lot of sense.

I don't think I'm exaggerating here. Garrioch's logic is so pure and unincumbered by such things as reality and common sense that I really wonder why he's wasting his talents speculating about hockey. I guess picking up the tab on Guerin's remaining contract as a salary cap or work stoppage looms also makes a lot of sense.

He should be ashamed. This article doesn't even come close to representing a moderately decent journalistic effort. Hey, whatever. He's not alone, so to be fair, many people writing weekly articles probably fall into the same boat of speculation that involves neither common sense nor basis in fact. Overall, there are only so many topics on which one person can write over a given period, and I think so many of these employees (I can't get myself to call him a writer, but again, he's not alone) of major Canadian and some northern American newspapers tend to just put something, anything out there so they can get something, anything out there. Well, I read the article and not at gunpoint, so I guess I'm indicting myself here, too.

I almost wish Garrioch et. al would simply write "I really have nothing to add or suggest at this point in the season - go out and do something valuable with your life and check in next month." I would really be impressed with that.

leafaholix* 10-26-2003 03:29 AM

Or was it...

THE BLOBBBBB?

MCP 10-26-2003 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeNs2004ChAmPs

wonder what the Leafs would have to give up for those two..would have to be alot i would think..........

Wouldn't have to give up much - Guerin's contract is ridiculous.

cellardweller 10-26-2003 09:56 AM

I can't the Leafs wanting to get someone like Guerin. His contract is just too much for the cash strapped Leafs to take :rolleyes:
In the off-season, they could not sign Tverdovsky because of the Svehla situation. Now Guerin? Cannot see this trade happening.

leafaholix* 10-26-2003 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cellardweller
In the off-season, they could not sign Tverdovsky because of the Svehla situation. Now Guerin? Cannot see this trade happening.

It's not that they "couldn't" sign Tverdovsky, it's that they wouldn't sign him.

Burke's Evil Spirit 10-26-2003 11:33 AM

Yeah, Guerin in Toronto sure does make sense, since they have Mogilny and Nolan down the right side and all. Yup, smart move for Toronto, addressing the real need of that team :rolleyes:

Gonchar is a bit more intriguing...however, the Leafs would have to sacrifice a lot more youth to get him...I just don't think they have the resources to accept another salary dump though (they aren't going to be sending salary back to the Capitals)

Lanny MacDonald* 10-26-2003 12:20 PM

Isn't EVERYONE in the league headed to Toronto?

:rolleyes:

DutchLeafsfan 10-26-2003 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanny MacDonald

Well, if you are Larry Brooks, everyone is headed to New York. If your name is Al Strachan everyone is headed somewhere as long as it is not Toronto. And if your name is Bruce Garrioch, everyone is simply headed everywhere... :dunno:

KOMO_ROCKS 10-26-2003 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanny MacDonald

sure seems like it ;)

Yayo 10-26-2003 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go pierre hedin
Or was it...

THE BLOBBBBB?

No, it's merely...

THE BLOB.

Zhackpot 10-27-2003 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeNs2004ChAmPs

Sundin for sure. Hicks knows that star players are needed in Dallas to keep fan interest.

This is just more of Bruce Garrioch's ******** that somehow passes for journalism in the Nation's capital.

The Leafs wouldn't cough up the dough for a decent defenceman and that was a key off season need why would they spend $$ on another RW? They are already overpaying for the underachieving Owen Nolan.

By the way, is it me or does Nolan resemble The Big Easy, Eric Lindros the more I watch him play?

Plus Tom Hicks doesn't want a loser team in Dallas he already has one in the Rangers (MLB). He will not agree to a deal in which he has to pay Guerin to help another team.

Another funny thing y'all is down here in Texas this rumor hasn't even been mentioned.

Garrioch is an idiot. How the slob keeps his job is beyond me.

leafaholix* 10-27-2003 11:54 AM

1) Mats Sundin is going nowhere.
2) Owen Nolan plays nothing like Eric Lindros.