HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Islanders (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   2006 Isles Draft Picks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=229318)

MrProspects 03-09-2006 03:49 PM

2006 Isles Draft Picks

Here are what the Islanders have going into the 2006 draft. If there is a mistake please post corrections.

1st Round-Islanders own pick.
2ndRound-from Dallas(Ninniimmaa).
3rd Round-Isles own pick.
Devils pick.
Phoenix pick.
Los Angeles pick (conditional).
4th Round-Isles own pick.
Edmonton pick (would move up to 3rd round if Oilers resign Peca).

JJ18Sniper 03-09-2006 06:10 PM

What did we do with our own 2nd rounder?

TeamKidd 03-09-2006 06:12 PM

traded it for sopel

Le Golie 03-09-2006 06:35 PM

You can bet management will be changing the scouting mandate tomorrow if they haven't already.

While that first rounder is by far the most important one, it's also going to be the easy one. I expect the Islanders will ask their scouts to really focus on players who are generally ranked 40-120 right now. If they can find at least two diamonds in the rough with the five picks we'll have between 35 and 90 it will be a successful draft. With that many middle to high round picks we should get at least three future NHLers out of it - which would be great in a draft this shallow.

islandermaniac 03-09-2006 06:37 PM

what i don't understand is the idea of l.a. giving the isles a conditional pick. apparently, the pick will be served up to nyi if parrish re-signs with them. here's the problem: the draft is in june. what if they re-sign parrish in august? are we awarded l.a.'s third rounder in the 2007 draft instead?

Riddick 03-09-2006 06:37 PM

does anyone else think that if the isles fall out of the top 5 to like 8ish they might offer up their 1st and 2 3rd's for someone in the top 5ish? Theres a LOT of talk about how the draft drops faster then a thai hooker after you give her $4.

Killer Carlson 03-09-2006 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riddick
does anyone else think that if the isles fall out of the top 5 to like 8ish they might offer up their 1st and 2 3rd's for someone in the top 5ish? Theres a LOT of talk about how the draft drops faster then a thai hooker after you give her $4.

I'd do that deal!

*Just to qualify, the 1st and 2 3rds, not the $4 offer! :)

Seph 03-09-2006 06:41 PM

Kinda cool that we could be looking at 5 picks in the third round. Whether we get all 5 (unlikely) or only have 4(most likely) or 3, we should try to package a couple of those with our first to maybe move up in the draft. Depending on where we are in the draft, it might be enough. If we're trying to get into the top 4, we could also try to package two 3rd and a 2nd with our 1st. Would that be enough? It'd be well worth it if we could get any of those top 4 guys, I think.

Seph 03-09-2006 06:45 PM

Quote:

haha, oops you beat me to it. Glad to see we're on the same page though.

Seph 03-09-2006 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by islandermaniac
what i don't understand is the idea of l.a. giving the isles a conditional pick. apparently, the pick will be served up to nyi if parrish re-signs with them. here's the problem: the draft is in june. what if they re-sign parrish in august? are we awarded l.a.'s third rounder in the 2007 draft instead?

It's not if Parrish re-signs, it's if they make the playoffs (likely) and if Sopel plays enough games for them, which is in question due to his injury. It's basically insurance for them in the case that Sopel takes too long to come back from injury or they fall out of contention.

TeamKidd 03-09-2006 06:47 PM

Quote:

nah the draft pick is conditional upon them making the playoffs, not resigning parrish.

islandermaniac 03-09-2006 06:49 PM

if the isles end up 1 through 6 there might not be a need to move up as they will get one of either phil kessel, micheal frolik, erik johnson, jonathan toews, peter mueller, or jordan staal. now, if they really wanted johnson (please! please!) and sat sixth, i agree they could try to move some of the third rounders. if johnson is unattainable, one of those five forwards will do quite nicely.

Seph 03-09-2006 06:53 PM

Quote:

if the isles end up 1 through 6 there might not be a need to move up as they will get one of either phil kessel, micheal frolik, erik johnson, jonathan toews, peter mueller, or jordan staal. now, if they really wanted johnson (please! please!) and sat sixth, i agree they could try to move some of the third rounders. if johnson is unattainable, one of those five forwards will do quite nicely.

I think we'll end up more around the 7-10 range though. And there will still be some nice prospects around there, but they have a lot of ????'s.

islandermaniac 03-09-2006 06:53 PM

seph, teamkidd,

thanks for the info. i had read contradictory reports about how the conditional third would be awarded to the isles. it looks as though the isles have a good shot at getting that pick according to your sources. makes that trade look a little better.

islandermaniac 03-09-2006 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seph
I think we'll end up more around the 7-10 range though. And there will still be some nice prospects around there, but they have a lot of ????'s.

tell ya what...let's just win the dang lottery then! it was afterall, the losing of the lottery (when the isles finished last during the regular season) and therefore, kovalchuk, that brought us yashin and left us without chara.

Seph 03-09-2006 07:06 PM

Quote:

tell ya what...let's just win the dang lottery then! it was afterall, the losing of the lottery (when the isles finished last during the regular season) and therefore, kovalchuk, that brought us yashin and left us without chara.

If we somehow find our way into the lottery, I'd be pretty happy with just about anything we get out of it, so it wouldn't really be worth it to move up. Well, except if we get screwed and get 5th. 1-4 are all really nice prospects.

Johnson I think is the best, but then you have Staal and Toews who have great upside and are more or less locks to become players, and then there's Kessel whose upside is just through the roof though he's also the riskiest of the 4. I'd be psyched about getting any of them.

Maybe whoever has #4 will pull a Tampa Bay and trade it for some picks and a decent player? a 2nd, three 3rds and Asham? OK, now I'm just in fantasy land.

Riddick 03-09-2006 08:49 PM

the 1st, a second, 3 3's and a player seems an AWFUL lot just to move up a few spots.

I think Johnson should be the MAIN priority, but if not him, i would absolutely be ecstatic with Staal.

Hunter07 03-09-2006 08:57 PM

As much as this is all nice and stuff, I dont see this happening. I mean as we all said this is a real shallow draft, why would a team depart with a future all star for a bunch of 2nd liners at best?

Darth Milbury 03-09-2006 08:59 PM

I think we should use ALL our picks to draft players. Its a crap shoot and you don't know who will develop. We need to re-stock the cupboard. Worst case scenario, this is what we have this year:

Low 1st
2nd
3 3rds
2 4ths
No 5th (gone to PHX, if Kvasha doesn't resign)
1 6th
1 7th

Best case scenario:
1st
2nd
4 3rds
1 4th
1 5th
1 6th
1 7th

islandermaniac 03-09-2006 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
I think we should use ALL our picks to draft players. Its a crap shoot and you don't know who will develop. We need to re-stock the cupboard. Worst case scenario, this is what we have this year:

Low 1st
2nd
3 3rds
2 4ths
No 5th (gone to PHX, if Kvasha doesn't resign)
1 6th
1 7th

Best case scenario:
1st
2nd
4 3rds
1 4th
1 5th
1 6th
1 7th

i sure do like the best case scenario where the isles could select 6 of the top 90 players. that ain't bad. still, i drool over the idea of landing johnson.

blitzkriegs 03-09-2006 09:19 PM

The team is weak in goaltending and defensive size in the prospect pool. Obviously, NYI are aware of that and quite possibly are looking to address that this draft.

Riddick 03-09-2006 09:25 PM

not to mention a true first line player. There are two 'sure-fire' ones in Toews and Staal, Kessel from what ive been hearing is a crapshoot.

Le Golie 03-09-2006 09:29 PM

Quote:

not to mention a true first line player. There are two 'sure-fire' ones in Toews and Staal, Kessel from what ive been hearing is a crapshoot.

Backstrom is another gem, in my opinion. I'd take him right after Johnson, Kessel, Toews and Staal.

Islesman819 03-09-2006 09:35 PM

Isnt the best case scenario 5 3rd rounders??
1st rounder
2nd rounder
3rd rounders:
Our own
phoenix
la kings(conditional)
oilers(peca)
devils
1 4th
1 5th if oleg resings
1 6th
1 7th

danteipp 03-09-2006 09:48 PM

With the first round pick the Isles have to go best player available, regardless of position. Ideally though the Isles move up through the lottery and land that true No. 1 forward that is lacking in the system. Right now the Isles have an enviable collection of young forwards in Bergenheim, Colliton, Comeau, Hunter, Nilsson, Nokelainen, O'Marra, Tambellini, and York (assuming he resigns). That is pretty darn good and will be fantastic if the Isles can finally land that true elite player to lead the team on offense night in and night out. If so I would have to believe that you would even see a nice upswing in Yashin's game too, if he isn't bought out, since a lot of offensive pressure would lifted off his shoulders.

Then with all of the remaining picks from the second round on the Isles need to restock with a couple goalie prospects and attempt to increase the size on defense and the team in general.

One thing I was wondering, can anyone offer up a brief scounting report on Evgeny Tunik and how he has played at Bridgeport? I only ask because if he is progressing then he can lend some size at forward and help alleviate some of the need to upgrade the size at forward in the upcoming draft and really focus on the defense. I would really appreciate it and thanks in advance for any information on Tunik.