HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Islanders (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Alan Hahn (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=229874)

boredmale 03-10-2006 03:36 PM

Alan Hahn

Is anybody else sick of Alan Hahn. Sadly he seems to be the only guy covering the ISlanders beat. Why the hell would this guy write an article about the Islanders buying out Yashin just after we made 3 trades. It's obvious he has no sources who told him this and it's just based purely on his speculation.

I will even challenge him on the numebrs he came up to buy Yashin out(see the yashin thread) so it shows poor journalism that he doesn't check his facts. What's worse is his i heard his story being picked up here in Canada as fact from a few sources.

On the bright side his hatred for Yashin(which is obvious) hoepfulyl will light a spark under his butt.

B.D. Gallof 03-10-2006 03:38 PM

want changes...email Newsday. he's been awful

boredmale 03-10-2006 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gooch
want changes...email Newsday. he's been awful

I agree, it's like he is mailing it in this year. There is a time and place for a piece on buying out Yashin, right after the trade deadline after we traded 4 players is not it.

Bones45 03-10-2006 03:51 PM

Why would you need multiple people to cover the Islanders?

If the Isles ever started playing well, then maybe I could see someone else. Its not just Newsday---watch any of the local news and you will see the same thing. If you are lucky you will see some of the goals of the game. Alot of the time, you just get a mention of the score.

blitzkriegs 03-10-2006 05:23 PM

For as much as he complains about space on patchy's radio show and in the mailbag, he sure as heck finds very peculiar ways to use the space he is allocated. His content is weak and one can tell he either keeps his distance from a lot of the players or he is not well liked by the players and they distance him. One thing for sure is that he does not give the reader confidence that his 'sources' are remotely close to accurate.

The Yashin buyout on the very same day of the trade deadline is pathetic. Grossman plasters an entire article from DP's mouth about the TRADES, team directions, clearing cap space. Hahn? Let's go ask the captain about whether this all means he will face a summer buyout. Huh? Did we somehow miss the final 20+ games of the season that WILL be reflected by the 4 outgoing players?

He's starting to give me the impression that he wants to be the 'writer' that persuaded NYI to buyout one of the worst contracts in professional sports history. If he doesn't like Yashin, then that's fine. However, don't disregard the actual story of the day for his own motives even if they are remotely tied to it.

Darth Milbury 03-10-2006 05:25 PM

My annoyance with Hahn is that he makes mistakes, and when he springs "surprises" on us (like the hypothetical impending UFA status of York and Asham) we don't know whether he has unconvered something important or is simply incorrect. He doens't have much credibility at this point, unfortunately.

herecomesdabus 03-10-2006 05:29 PM

I don't even bother reading his stuff anymore we rarely get any insight or breaking news from him. After reading his article I learn absolutely nothing new...I don't think the team ever throws the guy a bone anymore. :propeller

NYIsles1* 03-11-2006 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blitzkriegs
For as much as he complains about space on patchy's radio show and in the mailbag, he sure as heck finds very peculiar ways to use the space he is allocated. His content is weak and one can tell he either keeps his distance from a lot of the players or he is not well liked by the players and they distance him.

Excellent points. His coverage is putting this team out of business and I'm tired of reading from other markets are players are largely unknown when they play well, I'm not in the teams lockeroom but it would not surprise me if a majority of the players see the poor coverage and are not willing to do anything for him. Also his work has simply gotten lazy with little depth.

The space he is given is likely out of his control and ultimately the blame for that must go on Newsday's sports editor (although he does seem to enjoy telling Islander fans how baseball's moster must be constantly fed and that a winning Ranger team is for our benefit which is non-sense because they are getting the same poor coverage they received when they were losing and cannot even help themselves much less the Isles-seems like Newsday needs Msg/Knicks so that's his mantra)

Meanwhile other teams writers (win or lose) sell the teams they cover as important to their market and as family to the readers, Hahn treats our club like he goes out of his way to distance the product from the fans/market and the results are disasterous for the product because the public does not identify with the club as it used to, even when it was losing.

Hard to become interested when you do not know the players story. Michael Fornabaio in Bridgeport writes something once a week on the players on that team and I know them better than our own players. If the space is not in the paper, it certanily is on the teams page in Newsday. Four cups and not a single article or digest of articles from those days, few pictures.

Outside of fans writing from well outside this market it seems the mailbag is locked tight these days. Dave Molinary was doing one a week in Pittsburgh wiht practice reports and minor league reports.

Quote:

The Yashin buyout on the very same day of the trade deadline is pathetic. Grossman plasters an entire article from DP's mouth about the TRADES, team directions, clearing cap space. Hahn? Let's go ask the captain about whether this all means he will face a summer buyout. Huh? Did we somehow miss the final 20+ games of the season that WILL be reflected by the 4 outgoing players?

That's the agenda Hahn is pushing, learing about the new players? Not interesting enough for him. It seems with Parrish gone he's running out of people to interview.

Quote:

He's starting to give me the impression that he wants to be the 'writer' that persuaded NYI to buyout one of the worst contracts in professional sports history. If he doesn't like Yashin, then that's fine. However, don't disregard the actual story of the day for his own motives even if they are remotely tied to it.

I agree but my impression is the attendance problems go hand in hand with the lack of visibility this club has been given by Hahn in the media.

I have seen enough poor coverage and lazy articles from him, he is no longer an asset to the fans or the product, I have read enough from him to now know I want him out.

beach 03-11-2006 02:01 PM

Hahn

I like Hahn, and think that he is constrained by the Sports Editor at Newsday in terms of both article length and content. I wouldn't be surprised if he is muzzled as a result of Wang being a prominent LI businessman with lots of connections/friends in the LI business community of which Newsday is a part.

I also don't find any fault with talking about Yashin's contract the day after the trade deadline. I, for one, pondered his future first thing after the deadline, when I was mentally assembling the new player pieces, subtracting the former pieces and wondering what the new GM would do this summer. The subject is a logical extension of the previous day's events and a question that most islanders fans I would think are wondering about.

boredmale 03-11-2006 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beach
I also don't find any fault with talking about Yashin's contract the day after the trade deadline. I, for one, pondered his future first thing after the deadline, when I was mentally assembling the new player pieces, subtracting the former pieces and wondering what the new GM would do this summer. The subject is a logical extension of the previous day's events and a question that most islanders fans I would think are wondering about.

The Yashin buyout article would have been better saved for a week or 2 after the deadline or even better once the season is over. He should have focused his article on the Islanders now and playoff chances or the new guys coming in, or the reaction of the team.

The worst part of his fluff piece he did, is i hear people in Canada take it as fact.

Trottier 03-11-2006 02:20 PM

I come to HF to gain insight. I found out today that a guy who writes for a fishwrap is putting a professional hockey team out of business. Wow.

Pining for transparent cheerleader homer hacks who "sell" :shakehead the team. Happy-happy propaganda, all the time, be it in print, over the air or on a message board.

You know, the hockey version of "The war is going just great in Iraq!"

And if you dare share a contrarian or negative thought, you and it should be eliminated, immediately.

Enlightened, indeed. :sarcasm:

beach 03-11-2006 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredmale
The Yashin buyout article would have been better saved for a week or 2 after the deadline or even better once the season is over. He should have focused his article on the Islanders now and playoff chances or the new guys coming in, or the reaction of the team.

The worst part of his fluff piece he did, is i hear people in Canada take it as fact.

I think the timing of Hahn's Yashin article was perfectly in step with the changes in roster that had just occurred. We can read about the kids and the drive for the playoffs in today's article.

And I'm not sure what the Canadians are taking as fact. Hahn states that the logical move would be to buy him out. It is an opinion. Canadians are smart enough to make up their own minds. But, I agree, it is the most logical move.

beach 03-11-2006 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trottier
I come to HF to gain insight. I found out today that a guy who writes for a fishwrap is putting a professional hockey team out of business. Wow.

Pining for transparent cheerleader homer hacks who "sell" :shakehead the team. Happy-happy propaganda, all the time, be it in print, over the air or on a message board.

You know, the hockey version of "The war is going just great in Iraq!"

And if you dare share a contrarian or negative thought, you and it should be eliminated, immediately.

Enlightened, indeed. :sarcasm:

So you've noticed too, eh Trots? The nerve of Hahn not focusing on just the positive. I mean, here is a guy making a gazillion bucks and earning about 3/10 of it and someone has the gall to question Yash's future and speculate about a buy out? If the Isles move to Las Vegas, it's clearly Hahn's fault!!

NYIsles1* 03-11-2006 03:05 PM

Quote:

The nerve of Hahn not focusing on just the positive.

Feel free to point out where I wrote Hahn must be positive? A little pride in covering our team and catering to the die-hard fans by treating it with some respect and quality information and a few features where we would get to know our team would suit me just fine regardless of whether it's good news or bad news. Michael Fornabaio rips the Sound Tigers when they struggle and print the problems with players, it's outstanding reporting.

Hahn reported Parrish only signed a one year contract in August because of Yashin when he was not signed at all, he never bothered correcting himself or pointing out his mistake to his readers. He never bothered reporting whether he asked Milbury (after the World Championships where both Kenny Jonsson and Mike Milbury were in Austria) if the gm had a comment on the annoucement of Kenny Jonsson signing in his home country even though fans here were looking for this information daily.

For all the money he had made off two books not once has he written how important this team is to this community and that it matters whether they stay, when the true 25th anniversary took place on 5/24/05 took place he went out of his way to tell us Newsday could not really be bothered looking back, several days later after Newsday received complaints was a respectable Sunday feature done with some pages from his book.

Is this the kind of work and respect of our club your condoning? Funny but as much as some hockey writers gossip or sensationalize they respect their markets/readers
whether the team is good or the news is positive or negative to make it seem like it is important to the fans of those teams.

Should our fans settle for any less?

boredmale 03-11-2006 03:23 PM

Quote:

So you've noticed too, eh Trots? The nerve of Hahn not focusing on just the positive. I mean, here is a guy making a gazillion bucks and earning about 3/10 of it and someone has the gall to question Yash's future and speculate about a buy out? If the Isles move to Las Vegas, it's clearly Hahn's fault!!

I am not saying he should always focus on the positive, but his article post dealine(and pre dealine as well) were written half-a$$ed. All his articles basically looks like he doesn't care about his job, he just basically gets up takes 5 minutes to write the article and hands it in. He should do more research and spend more time doing his articles.

Like i said there is a time and a place for the "should yashin be bought out" article, but he shouldn't write at the time he did. Personally i would have waited till the end of the season to write that article myself, or at least till we are mathematically eliminated. If he is stating yashin will be bought out he should write it as an opinion piece not as fact, mixed in with other facts that we did just trade 4 players and get 2 new players back.

People seem to get on Larry Brooks' case about his articles, but weather you agree or disagree with him, at least it looks like he puts effort into his articles, and that's all i wish Alan would do. If he wants to be negative he could have wrote an article how the Islanders are tanking the season and they should have kept the 4 guys.

My friend 03-11-2006 03:28 PM

I agree that Hahn's coverage has been shoddy, and the examples like Parrish signing early, and questions TO THIS DAY regarding York's status are on point.

I guess it's safe to say York is NOT an UFA, since one assumes we would have moved him, rather than risk losing him for nothing.

However, I feel that mentioning Yashin's total remaining salary figure, (although he should have given us a year to year breakdown, and cost vs cap figures) were ABSOLUTELY relevant to the post trade deadline article, and SHOULD be there.

I think it was an exclamation point. "This is how far Yashin's value has fallen". It also informs the casual fan of one possible solution.

I just wish he could manage to both, inform the casual fan, and illuminate issues for the die-hards.

KH1 03-11-2006 05:55 PM

I don't bother with Newsday given it's inferiority to other NY Papers (read: The NY Times) so I only bother reading Hahn if an important article is posted here. And it doesn't happen that often.

Just because he is the only person who really writes about the Islanders doesn't mean that he is good at it. He writes from the angle of his personal grudges against certain players, particuarly those who don't talk to him like Yashin, and it ruins his collumns. I prefer Evan Grossman, but he barely writes about us (or is barely allowed to write about us) at all.

NYIsles1* 03-12-2006 12:31 PM

Hahn completely waste his space Sunday with an article a news reporter could have printed on the Coliseum (he was in Boston) and that Howie Rose did not already mention during the telecast, even Rose told us more over the air than he reported.

Game article was poor as usual, too busy asking our players if they were rooting for the Rangers, did not even mention the fact the Islanders are not chasing Tampa, in fact he did not mention the Bolts at all, only Atlanta.

He get's a full Sunday feature to talk about hockey and the only Islander content his could contribute was the alumni may finally be warning up to Milbury in a blurb.

Again I ask is this the kind of coverage our fans should consider acceptable?

jmg27 03-12-2006 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYIsles1
Game article was poor as usual, too busy asking our players if they were rooting for the Rangers, did not even mention the fact the Islanders are not chasing Tampa, in fact he did not mention the Bolts at all, only Atlanta.

I noticed that as well. He actually writes that were 7 points from Montreal for the final spot and meanwhile were only 6 pnts away from Tampa who are now in the final spot. :dunno: Thats just a terrible job right there. Pretty sad actually!
------------------------------
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...slanders-print

"They also moved into sole possession of 10th place in the East, two points behind the Atlanta Thrashers in ninth and seven points behind the Montreal Canadiens, who own the final spot in the East."

NYIsles1* 03-13-2006 12:05 AM

Ok article by Hahn for Monday, looks like he saved up quotes from Saturday to recycle for this one. Of course again he mentions Huet and the Habs but not the team in eighth. He mentions DiPietro crediting the defense in front of him and the goalie is quoted as how the defense is letting him see pucks in front of him but Hahn does not touch his little on-ice confrontation with Campoli Friday which even Micheletti did and had the good sense to explain both are friends but still was out of line to show up Campoli. A reporter on his game does not let something the annoucer brought up pass that easily when it finally comes up.

NYIsles1* 03-13-2006 01:57 PM

You know it's interesting Hahn was always getting quotes from Parrish (seemingly daily) for a good part of this season but when he was finally traded he did not mention in any article what Joe Micheletti did during the on-air broadcast the other day.

According to Micheletti, the Islanders contacted Brian Lawton (Parrish's agent) and he never even returned a phone call.

How come Hahn never wrote about this?

NYIsles1* 03-14-2006 01:34 PM

Good news is Islander fans got a well-done article on Grebeshkov Tuesday, quotes from the coach and the player with an overview of how he's done. Bad news is Alan Hahn did not write it.

NYIsles1* 03-15-2006 01:08 AM

3/15:

This is all Hahn could contribute on Yashin is news that was made over the weekend, who was quoted several times on the teams website about the kids after the game?

The A.P did a far better job with quotes and content.
Yashin had his first three-point night since Oct. 29.

"Certainly that's the best Yashin has looked in a long time," Shaw said of the Islanders' captain.

Yashin's approval rating among the fans has plummeted this season to the point where one fan in particular put up for bidding on eBay the buyout of Yashin's contract ($21 million). So far no bids have been made.

LetsGoIslanders 03-15-2006 10:05 AM

I'm surprised Alan didn't call Parrish and Peca for their reactions on last night's win against the Devils.

Islesfan7 03-15-2006 12:09 PM

The most unacceptable part of Hahn's reporting is that his numbers are ALWAYS wrong. He probably still thinks were in 12th place, 12 points out of 8th (who's in 8th is also probably wrong). He never mentions how close we are to tampa with 2 games on hand, or, im getting ahead of myself here, but even to the devils.

I dont know if it's laziness, not caring, or just stupidity but this is ridiculous, if he cant even get little facts right, or if he cant even figure out what what the standings are, how are we supposed to trust anything he says. How does this man keep his job, can you imagine if you skrewed up numbers every day at your job?
We should start an email campaign to let him know he can access facts on nhl.com.