HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Dek hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=230314)

Doctor Hook 03-11-2006 09:24 PM

Dek hockey

Anyone play? I'm joining a team this summer. I play ice hockey as well, but interested in just checking this out, seems like it could be fun and a great workout as well.

Jacob 03-12-2006 10:55 AM

Good workout, frustrating as hell.

Dek hockey is very choppy. There's no flow at all and the ball does not act like a puck at all.

Doctor Hook 03-12-2006 01:17 PM

SO basically it's like a real-life version of bubble hockey? :propeller

Slick 03-12-2006 02:18 PM

Maybe a dumb question, but what is Dek hockey?

Jacob 03-12-2006 02:49 PM

Hockey on a plastic surface and played in shoes. You use a plastic ball instead of a puck.

RangersMoogle 03-12-2006 03:09 PM

I don't like it. I'd give it a go if it were played like hockey with an inline puck, but it's not. It's some sort of thing like hockey with hockey sticks.

I guess it could be some fun, but like it was already stated, the ball doesn't behave anything at all like a puck.

hckyguy14 03-14-2006 07:12 AM

I played it one season, and it may have just been my league, but they beat the hell out of eachother with thier sticks. I thought I was in a lacross game and I will never play it again. I don't feel like loosing a limb.

DisgruntledHawkFan 03-14-2006 09:28 PM

I personally love it. Lotta fun, and it helps you develop a set of hands. (Being a good skater doesn't allow you to blow by opponents anymore).Pretty physical and it can get a bit congested. Obviously MUCH slower then ice, you have LOADS of time to think out and make the pretty passes.

Brodeur 03-15-2006 03:05 PM

I play floor (basically the same as dek, but we use a roller hockey rink) hockey more than I do ice nowadays. About a month ago, we had a team fly in from Toronto to come play us......they (most of them in their late 30s/40s) beat us (in our 20s/early 30s) 3-2.

I'm a goalie, and it can be frustrating playing with a ball. I use my ice hockey glove out there and can't catch a ball for the life in me.....really ought to just use a baseball glove, but then I wouldn't be color coordinated :)

Style of game is a lot different. As others have said, it can be a lot more choppy than ice in terms of flow. Stickhandling and running at full speed is something that some folks have problems with.

DisgruntledHawkFan 03-17-2006 11:02 AM

I play ice goalie and ball forward. I seriously got sick of being in perfect position for a slapshot only to have it curve on me at the last second. It's like trying to catch a knuckleball.

RangersMoogle 03-17-2006 05:01 PM

If I found a dek (deck? I don't know) or floor hockey league that used an inline puck, I'd give it a go.

DarrenBanks56 03-22-2006 02:31 PM

dek hockey is alot more tiring. Thats the best I can put it. If you can find a league with a puck, its not that bad.