HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Colorado Avalanche (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   What's wrong with Joe Sakic? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=23117)

RoyIsALegend* 10-26-2003 06:31 PM

What's wrong with Joe Sakic?

Has this guy ever looked this slow and disoriented in his career? He simply does not have all that good of speed, he is constantly losing the puck when it's on his stick, and gets outmuscled by nearly every single player in this league.

Thoughts?

iAvs 10-26-2003 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
Has this guy ever looked this slow and disoriented in his career? He simply does not have all that good of speed, he is constantly losing the puck when it's on his stick, and gets outmuscled by nearly every single player in this league.

Thoughts?

Wow, a little rough on the captain there?

He's just snakebit, IMO. He's definately gotten chances & is working hard out there. It'll turn around for him soon. Plus, don't ignore the fact that he has totally new linemates this season. Unlike the AMP line, who already had great chemistry, he needs to develope that with his new line (when Kariya does return).

Jori 10-26-2003 06:42 PM

I don't totally disagree with RIAL. Sakic hasn't looked very good and he has looked slow, especially tonight. I thought he had a good game in Nashville. I suppose it's a bit surprising especially considering he was the Avs best player in their brief playoff run in the spring. You would think his two new linemates would have rejuvinated him, but other than opening night, he hasn't seemed to really click with anyone. You have to factor in age I suppose and perhaps there is some undisclosed injury or maybe its just the beginning of his natural decline, Joe isn't exactly a spring chicken. Personally I think he is in a slump. If he plays hard, eventually the puck will go in. I'm not terribly concerned about Sakic at this point. Yet, this team is really only being carried by one line (AMP), and that will become a concern as the season goes along.

Goulet17 10-26-2003 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend

Thoughts?

I don't think he has looked all that bad. He doesn't appear to have the chemistry yet on his line. He has been snake bit somewhat by hitting a couple of posts.

Clearly Konowalchuk can't play a second line role with Sakic, it was the same situation with Battaglia. Niether player has the skill level to keep up.

The loss of Kariya seems to have completely neutralized Sakic's line. Kariya may very well be the key player for Sakic and Selanne.

Also don't forget Sakic has been a slow starter at times in his career, during his 2000-2001 Hart Trophy season, he only had I think 2 or 3 goals through the first 13 games of that season.

One problem is that Selanne and Sakic don't appear to have chemistry. I would try moving Hejduk to Sakic's line as his right wing with Kariya on the left wing. That would leave Selanne to play with Forsberg and Tanguay. I just think that Selanne would have more chemistry with Forsberg. It is worth a shot. But frankly I don't think Granato is all that bright or creative, so I don't expect him to attempt this.

The other scenario with Sakic is that you are seeing the effects of age. He turned 34 this summer, perhaps he is losing a little speed and physical ability. I don't think this is the case, but you never know.

The more distressing part with Sakic is that he appears to be making some poor decisions on defense, that does concern me, because it is out of his character.

Aerolanche 10-26-2003 06:47 PM

You've got to shut down one line, and most teams evidently are going for the ACE line. Look at the stats. The top 3 pointgetters in order for Colorado are Forsberg, Tanguay and Hejduk.

Its not just Sakic, and its only 8 games in. Don't worry about anything...Especially considering Foote has more points than Kariya :joker:.

Enoch 10-26-2003 06:55 PM

Sakic's best asset is his wrist shot, and he hasn't been able to pull the trigger lately, especially with Kariya out of the lineup. The problem I had with the Kariya - Sakic - Selanne line is that they all three love to shoot the puck. They need a playmaker, like Forsberg, to center two of them to maximize the production IMO. However, I would never break up the AMP line up as long as they continue to perform

On a side note: check out this emoticon

:moon:

Thank you HF!

Yayo 10-26-2003 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goulet17
But frankly I don't think Granato is all that bright or creative, so I don't expect him to attempt this.

Maybe he'll scratch the top line as a shake-up. :teach:

Av-merican 10-26-2003 06:56 PM

I thought the only horrid game Joe has played this season was against Boston. And of course, you could say they ALL played horrid in that game.

I think it's a problem Forsberg had--holding onto the puck too long syndrome. Once Peter decided to start shooting it when it got on his stick LO AND BEHOLD, he takes the league lead in points. Joe's just got to shoot it more, I think he's over-complicating his game with Selanne and Kariya on his flanks. Don't be fancy, Joe.

fcbarcelona 10-26-2003 07:02 PM

certainly sakic isn't the young gun he used to be. but i also think that the team's slow start may have affected his overall game as well.

as a whole, this team has been disappointing. although the players seem to be working hard, they just can't execute a finely played simple game (i.e. they just don't excel at doing the basics yet). consequently that has affected the team's chemistry and the players (at least the forwards) look disjointed right now. IMO, this problem can be rectified over time with a little familiarity....or a coaching change may be in need. PL KNOWS this team's chemistry is vital to its cup hopes. however, no matter how many personnel changes he makes, its up to the players to play the simpler game and work as hard as they did in 2001. as far as this season is concerned, this team's cup chances don't look too optimisitic right now. with so much at stake, so little has been accomplished.

you guys know im a pessimist and ill freely admit right now, im worried.

on the bright side, many people are calling the avs trade for kono a steal for PL (see Clement chat on ESPN.com, check out hotstove on HNIC)

SChan* 10-27-2003 08:28 AM

I definitley think it is the age syndrome. Don't forget that Sakic has played like 14 seasons in the NHL with numerous Injuries. It's gotta take a toll on him sooner or later.

Freudian 10-27-2003 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goulet17
I don't think he has looked all that bad. He doesn't appear to have the chemistry yet on his line. He has been snake bit somewhat by hitting a couple of posts.

Clearly Konowalchuk can't play a second line role with Sakic, it was the same situation with Battaglia. Niether player has the skill level to keep up.

The loss of Kariya seems to have completely neutralized Sakic's line. Kariya may very well be the key player for Sakic and Selanne.

Also don't forget Sakic has been a slow starter at times in his career, during his 2000-2001 Hart Trophy season, he only had I think 2 or 3 goals through the first 13 games of that season.

One problem is that Selanne and Sakic don't appear to have chemistry. I would try moving Hejduk to Sakic's line as his right wing with Kariya on the left wing. That would leave Selanne to play with Forsberg and Tanguay. I just think that Selanne would have more chemistry with Forsberg. It is worth a shot. But frankly I don't think Granato is all that bright or creative, so I don't expect him to attempt this.

The other scenario with Sakic is that you are seeing the effects of age. He turned 34 this summer, perhaps he is losing a little speed and physical ability. I don't think this is the case, but you never know.

The more distressing part with Sakic is that he appears to be making some poor decisions on defense, that does concern me, because it is out of his character.

I think Selšnne would do well with Forsberg. Selšnne is a smart player and when playing with a good playmaker in the finnish national team (Koivu) is absolutely amazing.

Greenie 10-27-2003 11:10 AM

Sakic and Selanne are not good together. Bad karma. No chemistry. Joe needs someone else to play with. And soon. Selanne holds the puck too long circling the net and freezes out too many opportunities. He also spends way too much time on his knees. I have never seen a player of his calibre knocked off his skates more than Selanne is. He must wear out a pair of socks per period sliding into the boards.

iAvs 10-27-2003 11:36 AM

People....you must give Sakic & Selanne a little more time. Also, is it that hard to imagine that they are in a mini-slump? They didn't look that bad together a little while ago.Maybe the return of Kariya sparks that line & they start flying.

Also, why even think of breaking up the AMP line?? Talk about ruining a great thing :dunno:

Riggins 10-27-2003 02:01 PM

Considering I picked him 3rd overall in my pool (after Forsberg/Thornton), I sure hope he gets it going.

AvsDevs19&30 10-27-2003 02:18 PM

I have followed Joey since his days w/ the Nordiques, and I don't think there is any need to panic. Yes he has made a few uncharateristic turnovers and may not be putting the puck in the net, but it is VERY early in the season. And I think he will pull out of it. They just have to find the right line combs that work w/ his speed and skill. Kariya may be the answer so hopefully he will be back in the lineup soon.
Joey has just spoiled us w/ his perfect passes and blazing accurate wrist shot that when they don't connect we fear the worst.

Breck Av 10-27-2003 03:59 PM

All these posts and crossbars Joey's hitting will start going in the net. I'm more worried about all these turnovers he keeps making. I'm sure he'll be fine, as will the rest of the team. This team will take a while to gel, it will be fun when they finally do.