HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Islanders (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Fantasy land- Malkin (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=231171)

blinkman360 03-14-2006 11:32 AM

Fantasy land- Malkin

I'm not saying we should or shouldn't go after this guy, but if Pitts decided to make him available what do you think it would cost us? Granted the guy hasn't proven anything yet and is still a prospect, I still think he'll command a king's ransom. I think he'd be a great fit here since we have two projected 2nd line centers(O'Marra, Nokie) but not that first line center. Let's say this package would get it done:

1st round pick(8-15 range), Nokeleinen, Jay Blay, Comeau, 2nd round next year... would you do it? Would it cost more or less?

Losing Nokie hurts because I think he'll be a great player, but so will O'Marra and I see him being a future captain for us and a great 2nd line player. Comeau is hit or miss. He can end up being a good 2nd or 3rd liner and played very well at the WJC, but I wouldn't mind parting with him in a trade. I love Blake and it would hurt to see him go, but I can see Bergenheim stepping up and filling his role. Less offense but more physicalness. The first round pick wouldn't hurt as much since this draft isn't very deep. Only way I wouldn't do this trade is if our pick is good enough to land us a guy like Staal. These lines would look pretty sweet next year though:

Tambs-Malkin-Nilsson
Satan-York-Hunter
Bergenheim-Yashin-FA/Colliton
Bates-Smith-Godard

We'd still have O'Marra and possibly Colliton waiting in the wings. Thoughts?

Mr.Brownov* 03-14-2006 11:38 AM

NYI doesn't have what it takes to get someone like Malkin. Sorry

Isles72 03-14-2006 11:45 AM

lets just sign him after he plays 7 seasons (free agent)

by then ,Yash might be head coach :sarcasm:

Abyss 03-14-2006 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blinkman360
I still think he'll command a king's ransom.

Quote:

Let's say this package would get it done:

1st round pick(8-15 range), Nokeleinen, Jay Blay, Comeau, 2nd round next year... would you do it? Would it cost more or less?

It would cost a lot more then that I'm sure, Pens don't have a need for Blake either I wouldn't think...I would think you'd have to start the offer with Nilsson, Tambs, Grebeshkov...guys like that

Darth Milbury 03-14-2006 11:56 AM

You're talking about best prospect outside of the NHL. I think it would take AT LEAST:

O'Marra
Tambellini
Campoli
and a pick

beach 03-14-2006 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Beam

I think DP, a 1st rounder and Nilsson would do it.

blinkman360 03-14-2006 11:58 AM

alright EFF that then. I figured the Pens would look at it like they were trading Gretzky in his prime. Nilsson and Grebs should be off limits, and Tambs very close to it also. I think out of all our prospects these 3 guys will be the best NHLers.

blinkman360 03-14-2006 11:59 AM

beach, would we be getting Fleury back? I doubt they'd be interested in Ricky unless they've completely given up on Fleury.

DaMick 03-14-2006 12:01 PM

Quote:

I'm not saying we should or shouldn't go after this guy, but if Pitts decided to make him available what do you think it would cost us? Granted the guy hasn't proven anything yet and is still a prospect, I still think he'll command a king's ransom. I think he'd be a great fit here since we have two projected 2nd line centers(O'Marra, Nokie) but not that first line center. Let's say this package would get it done:

Losing Nokie hurts because I think he'll be a great player, but so will O'Marra and I see him being a future captain for us and a great 2nd line player. Comeau is hit or miss. He can end up being a good 2nd or 3rd liner and played very well at the WJC, but I wouldn't mind parting with him in a trade. I love Blake and it would hurt to see him go, but I can see Bergenheim stepping up and filling his role. Less offense but more physicalness. The first round pick wouldn't hurt as much since this draft isn't very deep. Only way I wouldn't do this trade is if our pick is good enough to land us a guy like Staal. These lines would look pretty sweet next year though:

Tambs-Malkin-Nilsson
Satan-York-Hunter
Bergenheim-Yashin-FA/Colliton
Bates-Smith-Godard

We'd still have O'Marra and possibly Colliton waiting in the wings. Thoughts?

I heavily doubt Malkin will be traded or much less shopped at all.

selvirino 03-14-2006 12:23 PM

By all accounts Malkin is the best player outside the NHL, easily the best #1 center prospect. He's the total package, by far more talented than anyone in the Isles system. I can't see him being traded, unless the Flames were to offer a certain amazing rookie defenseman or the Caps a certain rookie winger.

beach 03-14-2006 12:23 PM

Quote:

beach, would we be getting Fleury back? I doubt they'd be interested in Ricky unless they've completely given up on Fleury.

Well, of course we are just fantasizing here - I guess the deal would only happen if both the Isles and Pens thought their goalies were expendable - and that is a big if on both counts. But I'm not sure the Pens are sold on Fleury, and the deal I proposed might fly with the Pens. I'm not sure what we would do for a goalie though, other than take Fleury as part of the deal. (I'm not sold yet on DP either) If I were the Isles, would I do Malkin and Fleury for DP, Nilsson, and a 1st rounder? I don't think I could do it. Too much potential in DP and Nilsson.

My friend 03-14-2006 12:27 PM

With what it would take to get him?...Forget Malkin. ;)

I don't want us to get into "prospect envy" :)

I am not trying to dog him, I just don't think we can afford to put all our chips in one basket. If we drafted him? Sure, but to trade a whole boatload of guys...I'm wary of that. Besides, they would not trade him in the same division.

selvirino 03-14-2006 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beach
Well, of course we are just fantasizing here - I guess the deal would only happen if both the Isles and Pens thought their goalies were expendable - and that is a big if on both counts. But I'm not sure the Pens are sold on Fleury, and the deal I proposed might fly with the Pens. I'm not sure what we would do for a goalie though, other than take Fleury as part of the deal. (I'm not sold yet on DP either) If I were the Isles, would I do Malkin and Fleury for DP, Nilsson, and a 1st rounder? I don't think I could do it. Too much potential in DP and Nilsson.

I love Nilsson's potential, but I'd do that trade in a heartbeat, unless the Isles #1 was in the top 2 of the draft. The Pens wouldn't, though, I'd venture to guess. Check out some Olympic footage of Malkin.

Osstrayan 03-14-2006 12:40 PM

Ive never seen a more appropriate thread title.

Ever.

Pure Slaughter Value 03-14-2006 12:43 PM

Honestly, if he doesn't want to play for Pittsburgh, I don't think it would take a "king's ransom" or anything close to it.

If he does want to play for Pittsburgh, it would be ludricous to think Pitt would trade him.

Don't know of negotiations, his reaction to Pitt, anything like that...just saying that it might not take a DiPietro/Nilsson/Comeau/Campoli/12 #1's if the guy simply says he doesn't want to go to Pitt.

Jaded-Fan 03-14-2006 12:43 PM

There have been numerous threads on this subject. It is flattering that you all like Malkin. But the reality is that absent a deal you would be unwilling to make, Malkin will be in a Pens' uniform. Think on it this way, if you had Crosby and Malkin, would you be looking to trade one saying, damn, two franchise centers, two franchise centers, I wonder what I could get for one of them because clearly we do not need two? For that matter would you trade him for the equivilent of what is in this thread? Well, neither would we.

PS: Malkin has said several times that he can not wait to get to Pittsburgh next year, so yes he wants to play here.

arby2222 03-14-2006 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My friend
With what it would take to get him?...Forget Malkin. ;)

I don't want us to get into "prospect envy" :)

I am not trying to dog him, I just don't think we can afford to put all our chips in one basket. If we drafted him? Sure, but to trade a whole boatload of guys...I'm wary of that. Besides, they would not trade him in the same division.

i agree, while he might be good, he has never played a game in the nhl (the best league in the world by far) so no one knows how good he will be, plus he was in the olympics and didnt amaze anyoen there, so i agreed i wouldht be ready to give up the farm for 1 player

Isles Enforcer 03-14-2006 01:26 PM

Although Im a little late on this conversation. I am alomost positive that if PITT even considered this deal they would ask for O'marra right off the bat.

cjdv16 03-14-2006 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Beam

no team in this league does.

malkin is untouchable unless someone is willing to throw 4 or 5 first rounders at him.

he's an absolute stud who's going to be better than crosby.

hb6947 03-14-2006 09:19 PM

While it is unlikely Malkin will be traded to the Isles, the idea expressed is not a bad one. I have been thinking the whole season that the Isles need to get another impact center.

My suggestion, especially since the salary dumps and player movements, would be to test the rumor surrounding the Sharks and Patrick Marleau.

Trade Satan and our first round pick (probable 10-15th) to the Sharks who are rumored to have interest in bringing in a top line winger to play with Thorton ( I know they have Cheechoo But that's the rumor) for Marleau.

Not Malkin but a young top line center.

My friend 03-14-2006 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hb6947
While it is unlikely Malkin will be traded to the Isles, the idea expressed is not a bad one. I have been thinking the whole season that the Isles need to get another impact center.

My suggestion, especially since the salary dumps and player movements, would be to test the rumor surrounding the Sharks and Patrick Marleau.

Trade Satan and our first round pick (probable 10-15th) to the Sharks who are rumored to have interest in bringing in a top line winger to play with Thorton ( I know they have Cheechoo But that's the rumor) for Marleau.

Not Malkin but a young top line center.

I like your line of thinking...We could also look at Brad Richards, -IF- they make him available, and trade Campoli, 1st round pick, and something else. Wishfull thinking, but more realistic than Malkin...Imagine if Pitt drafts EJ this year?! I swear it should be illegal to do that!

blinkman360 03-14-2006 10:51 PM

That would be pretty sickening. Their success rides all on Fleury though. If he can turn into an elite goalie they will be a disgusting team for a long time.

CosmoKramer 03-15-2006 02:00 AM

malkin,crosby for yashin!!!!!! :sarcasm:

edallas 03-15-2006 06:37 AM

We don't have the players to trade for Malkin. I think the best thing we can do right now is to try and get another good pick in this draft by moving up in the draft. We have those extra 3rd. rd. picks. I kind of like our young players right now since the recent trades, no superstars but good players. I say we leave Dipietro alone. If he ever went in a trade(as some suggested), I dont know what this franchise would do. He is one of the keys to our furure!