HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Colorado Avalanche (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Dru gets the Game Winner. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=23122)

Foppa2118 10-26-2003 06:55 PM

Dru gets the Game Winner.

Well there it is. He finally scored against us, and it hurt. Can't fault Sauve though, he played great, especially on that three on two breakaway, but that last shot was unsavable. That felt like a game from last season, where we play hard and deserve a point, and then make one small mistake at the end of the game and it costs us. Liles almost lost it once, and then instead of just getting the puck out of harms way when there's under three minutes left, he tries to make a play to Kono, and then he waits too long with the puck and loses it, and then it's top shelf for the game winner.

What's up with the captain. He really doesn't look like himself out there. He keeps losing the puck, missing the net, and making bad passes. I wonder if he's injured, maybe his hand or wrist. Whatever it is, he's missing a step.

Once again another one bites the dust, this time it's Larson with a groin injury. I really like the way he has played while on the team. Who do we call up now, Kuleshov? Maybe Cumminins will be back, never thought I would be so hopeful of that. I thought Moore looked good out there along with Brigely even though he didn't play much in the second half for some reason. Where the hell did he come from anyway? I recognized the name, but he's not even on the Avalanche page here, nor in the rookie camp review. Name sounds really familiar though.

At least it's not the top guys getting the bug (knock on wood), but were gonna go through the entire Bears lineup, before were a month into the season. We probably already have their top two lines, playing on our bottom two lines. How they doing with losing all their players anyway?

Enoch 10-26-2003 06:57 PM

I thought Sauve looked bad tonight. He had a few good saves and his stickhandling was good, but I thought he was out of position way too much. Also, I think both goals were softies.

JMO

Jori 10-26-2003 07:00 PM

No way Kulebust gets recalled. Every other forward in this organization who is playing in Hershey would get recalled before Kuleshov.

I'm not sure if I would classify either goal as soft. The Drury goal was top shelf and he may have been screened by Foote. I'll have to look at the replay again. I thought Sauve looked more comfortable than he did in the Edmonton game. Biron was better (he had to be), but Sauve has nothing to be ashamed of imo.

Av-merican 10-26-2003 07:03 PM

I would say Sauve wasn't bad, but he wasn't great either. He made some great saves during the Avs penalty situations, but he had a clear line of sight on that first goal. Had he been square to the shooter, he would have gotten it no matter where the deflection sent it. The second goal was a bit of a softie as well. We're just going to have to let Phil get his hard knocks in and live with it.

In fairness to Sauve, he played well enough for the Avs to win. The Colorado power play is a joke. They have yet to score on a 5-on-3 situation this season. I remember when Hartley tried just rolling out the regular lines on the PP. It didn't work then, and it won't work now. Time for Tony G to actually be a COACH this season and not a spectator.

Foppa2118 10-26-2003 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enoch
I thought Sauve looked bad tonight. He had a few good saves and his stickhandling was good, but I thought he was out of position way too much. Also, I think both goals were softies.

JMO

Actually now that you mention it, that first goal wasn't too good. I forgot about that. He was out of position on that one. Other than that though, he looked good I thought. He bailed us out and kept us in the game a couple times. That pad save on that pretty passing play was a beauty.

Foppa2118 10-26-2003 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jori_18_23
No way Kulebust gets recalled. Every other forward in this organization who is playing in Hershey would get recalled before Kuleshov.

I was joking about Kuleshov. I was pointing out that we are running out of guys capable of playing at the NHL level.

Jori 10-26-2003 07:22 PM

Well I looked at the replays again, and I would tend to agree, that Sauve would probably want another crack at the first goal. However, he wasn't the reason the Avs lost tonight. What is amazing is that this team seems to be unable to score on a 5 on 3. Missed opportunities are what cost them and it made Buffalo much more confident and you saw that in the third period.

fcbarcelona 10-26-2003 07:26 PM

from what i saw on the hi-lites, i thought suave has the potential to be a much better goalie than aebi. do you guys concur?

also, are you guys (except for lappy) as confused as i am with this team's slow start?

Jori 10-26-2003 07:37 PM

The slow start is disappointing, but its not surprising, this team has been giving the same line since the 00-01 season. Only in that Cup winning season did they really deliver on that promise of getting off to a great start.

nathan 10-26-2003 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jori_18_23
What is amazing is that this team seems to be unable to score on a 5 on 3. Missed opportunities are what cost them and it made Buffalo much more confident and you saw that in the third period.

I've seen some of their 5 on 3s...it just seems that given the open space, they are looking for the perfect pass to set up the perfect shot rather than just waiting for the open lane to shoot and then crash the net.

Mack 10-26-2003 08:14 PM

imm not suprised about the slow start just dissapointed

Enoch 10-26-2003 08:18 PM

I agree that Sauve played good enough for us to win tonight. THe goals he let in were not that great, but he made several big saves in a few offensive sequences.

What sets him apart possibly from Aebishcer? He can handle the puck. Man I want a stickhandling goalie! They boost the PP and just really keep the play going. I know that he had a few miscues in his first game, but I think he could be a good puckhandler.

fcbarcelona 10-26-2003 08:39 PM

im not surprised with the slow start either. but im confused why this team has got off to a slow start, especially offensively (namely sakic), tho i did offer an explanation. nonetheless, this team has too much talent to be struggling like this. maybe it doesn't have enough character?

iAvs 10-26-2003 10:24 PM

I really think it's the fact that they keep hearing how great their lineup is. While it's true, they need to put their workboots on and give a 100% effort night-in & night-out just like everyone else does. It's like they refuse to play a simple game & go for the the ugly, garbage goals. I mean, not every goal needs to be a highlight reel goal.

Granato needs to put his foot down & get this message to the team. He's a coach now, time to start acting like one. If that means getting the players mad by making them do a "bag skate", then so be it. Sometimes that what it takes for players to start playing good all the time.

Laperriere22* 10-27-2003 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jericholic19
also, are you guys (except for lappy) as confused as i am with this team's slow start?

What are you saying? That I predicted a slow start for the Avs? Right you are (but to be fair, most of my other predictions haven't been correct). Time to use the newest smiley for all those that didn't get on my bandwagon: :moon:

fcbarcelona 10-27-2003 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laperriere22
What are you saying? That I predicted a slow start for the Avs? Right you are (but to be fair, most of my other predictions haven't been correct). Time to use the newest smiley for all those that didn't get on my bandwagon: :moon:

yes, u did predict a slow start. u also predicted that an injury to svatos was likely. u also predict the avs will be out in the 2nd round. STOP PREDICTING PLEASE!!! LOL :)

Laperriere22* 10-27-2003 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jericholic19
yes, u did predict a slow start. u also predicted that an injury to svatos was likely. u also predict the avs will be out in the 2nd round. STOP PREDICTING PLEASE!!! LOL :)

Well, I won't take credit for Svatos because I didn't predict it, as it were. Just felt he was injury prone and I wasn't the only one that knew that to be the case. I also predicted Sakic would basically be better than Forsberg and that hasn't taken me very far either. I'll have to bump that predictions thread up one of these days to see how correct and/or wrong we all were. Otherwise, what's the point of making predictions?

Foppa2118 10-27-2003 07:03 PM

I think teh problem is basically that the second line isn't playing well. As Sakic said himself, we can't rely on Peter's line every night. Joe hasn't had a goal since the first game against Chicago. Teemu seems a bit off as well. The problem, like always is a lack of scoring depth, which can also be contributed to all the injuries. Once we start getting guys back, I think we will be a lot better. Kariya's return will help a lot, not only because he was playing so well before he left, and that it might help out that second line, but it will also help out our third line since Kono will be shifted to the Nikolishan line, which I think will make a very good one with Danny on the right. I'm predicting a lot of those garbage goals that we so desperately need from that line.