HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Islanders (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   New York Islanders @ Atlanta Thrashers: 3/16 FSN2 7pm (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=231799)

NYIsles1* 03-16-2006 07:30 AM

New York Islanders @ Atlanta Thrashers: 3/16 FSN2 7pm

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/score...5/NHL18065.htm

Islanders-Thrashers Preview
GAME: New York Islanders (31-29-4) at Atlanta Thrashers (31-28-6).

Atlanta has won seven of its last nine to move three points back of eighth-place Montreal in the Eastern Conference, while New York has won a season-high four in a row and six of its last seven to pull within five points of the Canadiens.

The Thrashers have been riding goaltender Kari Lehtonen during their recent run. The 22-year-old hasn't allowed more than three goals in any of the past nine contests, posting a 2.04 goals-against average over that span. He's faced at least 34 shots in six games during the stretch.

TEAM LEADERS: Islanders - Miroslav Satan, 26 goals; Yashin and Mike York, 34 assists; Yashin, 55 points; John Erskine, 111 PIM. Thrashers - Kovalchuk, 42 goals and 81 points; Savard, 55 assists; Andy Sutton, 110 PIM.

SPECIAL TEAMS (through March 14): Islanders - Power play: 17.4 percent (63 for 362), 19th in NHL. Penalty killing: 78.8 percent (309 for 392), 26th. Thrashers - Power play: 19.4 percent (84 for 434), 6th. Penalty killing: 79.8 percent (325 for 407), 25th.

GOALTENDERS: Islanders - DiPietro (25-17-4, 3.12 GAA); Garth Snow (4-9-0, 3.70). Thrashers - Lehtonen (14-11-0, 1 SO, 2.71); Mike Dunham (4-4-1, 1, 2.79).

Eman Resu 03-16-2006 08:34 AM

We need to stay out of the sin-bin otherwise we'll have to deal with Savard setting Kovy up for one-timers all night. We played a very disciplined game against the Devils, so lets hope that discipline carries over.

It's gonna be tough though. They have a great goaltender so I'm going to have to account for that in my prediction.

9-4 Isles. :D

mitchy22 03-16-2006 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eman Resu
9-4 Isles. :D

Much closer prediction this time. Sure you didn't miss a digit on our score?
Where'd the confidence go?

Judging how relatively close you were at least with the ratio on your last prediction I'll slightly alter your numbers...

3-1 Isles.

:),
Mitch

cjdv16 03-16-2006 09:39 AM

i know, i know.... every game is a MUST WIN

but this one fits that bill moreso than others for two reasons:
1. our competition ALL are playing upper escelon teams (buffalo, carolina, ottawa). a win should result in a gain over everyone
2. we need this game for our psyche' and confidence. the youngsters need to prove to themselves that they can win without zhitnik and asham.

7:11 of OT 03-16-2006 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjdv16
i know, i know.... every game is a MUST WIN

but this one fits that bill moreso than others for two reasons:
1. our competition ALL are playing upper escelon teams (buffalo, carolina, ottawa). a win should result in a gain over everyone
2. we need this game for our psyche' and confidence. the youngsters need to prove to themselves that they can win without zhitnik and asham.

I agree with you about 98%. :) Z will be tough to replace, if not with his solid D, then just with his time on the ice. We really need Bruno to play with confidence, Grebs to continue to impress and Campoli to keep his game simple and under control. Where I don't agree is about missing Ash. Don't get me wrong, when he is on his game I love what he brings to the team. The problem is that he has been invisible for many games, and has been able to do nothing with Yashin on his line. Bergie will do a nice job on that line, and this is an opportunity for Collitton to show what he can do for this season and next. If he brings energy and excitement, it is an upgrade over a healthy Asham at this point.

Should be a close game as both teams are hot. I'll shoot for a 3-1 win as the Isles have been playing with confidence and the Thrashers can be beaten.

Tom Liodice 03-16-2006 11:11 AM

Should be a tight game. Isles need to come out with the same intensity as they did against the Devils and repeat it for the rest of the season. I'm not one to make predictions, but I see the Isles pulling through again tonight.

Oh the memories of starting the GDT's ;)

GetPucksDeep 03-16-2006 11:19 AM

Thrasher fan here - huge, huge game and I'm glad I'm going :)

The 1st period will be big. Atl has a tendency to be flat after layoffs. They haven't played since Sunday.

Factoids: Lehtonen is 6-0 in OT, 4 of those were shootouts.

The birds lost their first two games to all three NY teams this season. They evened up with the Rags last week, and I expect them to do the same with the Isles and Sabres.

Richard Park 10 03-16-2006 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetNoneIn
Thrasher fan here - huge, huge game and I'm glad I'm going :)

The 1st period will be big. Atl has a tendency to be flat after layoffs. They haven't played since Sunday.

Factoids: Lehtonen is 6-0 in OT, 4 of those were shootouts.

The birds lost their first two games to all three NY teams this season. They evened up with the Rags last week, and I expect them to do the same with the Isles and Sabres.

Should be a great game. The Thrashers have made an incredible rebound from the beginning of the year when they, along with Pittsburgh and Washington were the jokes of the league. They also are a really fun team to watch so if the isles don't make the playoffs, I will be hoping you guys get in!

blinkman360 03-16-2006 11:53 AM

Prediction: 4-2 Isles

Isles goals: Nilsson 3, Hunter 1

Bouchard take a slap shot off the knee from Kovalchuk, season over. Pettinen gets the call.

Eman Resu 03-16-2006 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blinkman360
Prediction: 4-2 Isles

Isles goals: Nilsson 3, Hunter 1

Bouchard take a slap shot off the knee from Kovalchuk, season over. Pettinen gets the call.

:biglaugh: Yeah, losing another player seems a pretty safe prediction at this point!

Killer Carlson 03-16-2006 12:27 PM

Quote:

Oh, man, talk about putting a hex on one of our own! I hope that doesn't happen!

cjdv16 03-16-2006 01:14 PM

only one team can lose 3 players in a 6-1 slaughter.

guess who that is???

Moosie 03-16-2006 01:27 PM

Isles vs Atlanta

Man, are we going to miss Oleg tonight.

Tom Liodice 03-16-2006 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moosie
Man, are we going to miss Oleg tonight.

Who?

DaMick 03-16-2006 02:38 PM

Should be a very interesting game ...

ive been very curious to see Coliton play.....so it should be a fun game to watch.

Though with our rag-tag D and no Zman.

I hope The Rick brings his A game tonight

I can see this game going to a shootout

:handclap: :clap: LETS GO ISLES!:clap: :handclap:

KH1 03-16-2006 02:43 PM

Yet again, it's the most important game of the season thus far. A win vs. Atlanta not only greatly furthers our playoff hopes but also shows the rest of the league that the Isles are for real.

tool123 03-16-2006 02:53 PM

Channel Changed!

http://www.newyorkislanders.com/pres...ame.asp?id=788

*TV ALERT* FSN 2 IS NOW Ch. 14 ON LI... Read on for a full list of FSN 2 channels… The red hot New York Islanders are in Hot-lanta tonight as they faceoff against the Thrashers. The Islanders are on a season-high four-game winning streak after an impressive outing two nights ago in New Jersey.

COMPLETE LIST OF FSN 2 CHANNELS:
CABLEVISION All other areas (including LI) - channel 14
CABLEVISION Elizabeth, NJ - channel 15
CABLEVISION Hamilton, NJ - channel 77
CABLEVISION Norwalk/Bridgeport/New Haven - channel 24
CABLEVISION Monmouth, NJ - channel 78
CABLEVISION Oakland/Ramapo/Raritan - channel 18
CABLEVISION Westchester/Rockland, NY - channel 15

blinkman360 03-16-2006 02:57 PM

Good call Tool, appreciated. BTW, how sweet would it be if we make the playoffs with basically a THOUSAND rookies on this team. That should make for a pretty good story. Anybody know the average age of our team right now with all the injuries? 15? 16?

FLAnatic 03-16-2006 03:47 PM

Quote:

Good call Tool, appreciated. BTW, how sweet would it be if we make the playoffs with basically a THOUSAND rookies on this team. That should make for a pretty good story. Anybody know the average age of our team right now with all the injuries? 15? 16?

I would guess that the average age is around 27 including Garth snow. Take him out and its probably closer to 26.

Eman Resu 03-16-2006 03:52 PM

3 hours 10 minutes. I've been clock-watching all day. Can't wait for this game. I've had the Stiga hockey table out all day just bashing the puck around driving my wife nuts.

CREW99AW 03-16-2006 04:08 PM

I expect the Thrashers to play a chippy,physical game.The isles pp stinks,it's been very ineffective.If they could just get the pp untracked,they could burn the Thrashers.

Let's go Isles :handclap:

cjdv16 03-16-2006 04:24 PM

i think the only way we win this game is if yashin and dipietro dominate.

we can't play passively.... our defense w/out zhitnik cannot handle being hemmed in our own zone.

man am i nervous (anxious) about tonights game.

Riddick 03-16-2006 04:28 PM

I bet The Rick lets in a goal tonight....

*shakes fist*

NassauIsles82* 03-16-2006 04:29 PM

huge game..isles win by 20 if they play anything like they did the other night.

Stevedude530 03-16-2006 04:29 PM

The game will be airing on CN8 in the Meadowlands Area.