HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Columbus Blue Jackets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Rookie contracts and $$$ (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=23224)

3mta3 10-27-2003 08:30 AM

Rookie contracts and $$$

As we'll have to deal with this in the near future with Nash and Zherdev (if he doesn't decide to re-up with the Russian military...) I thought I would see what thoughts the locals have on the Gaborik situation.

My thoughts - I cannot believe that they expect the kid to take a paycut now that his rookie contract is up. They structured the deal for him to be able to make the cash, now they reward him with less than he made in the last 2 years? I just don't get it.

I hope that we planned long term here and allowed for Nash hitting all his bonuses and making comparable green when that deal was up.

jackets63 10-27-2003 10:30 AM

Just what I was thinking when I read that about Gaborik. Only we are gonna have to deal with this this year with Rusty. Sure he hasnt lit the league on fire like Gaborik has, but if he hits any bonuses we could be in the same situation.

I say in our situations with Rusty, Nash and Zherdev (arent we glad now for Pascal's slow start :p ) we should do what Minnesota should be doing with Gaborik. Gaborkik is making $4 mill + due to hitting bonuses, not from base pay. Base pay is like $1.5 mill give or take, right? So give him about $2 - 2.5 mill base and the opportunity to make the same amount overall in bonuses.

Of course, I just like the idea of bonus laiden contracts where players get rewarded to exceptional play and get paid what they deserve if they have an average season.

I mean, hes not really looking for a raise overall. He is asking for the same amount he made last year. That sounds fair to me. The last time around, they thought a player who hit those numbers deserved that kind of money, so why not now when you have a bit more of a proven commodity?

KeithBWhittington 10-27-2003 11:46 AM

The Wild are crazy not to resign him at the price he wants. Who scores the goals? DO the Wild Managment feel that their pride would be injured if they can't resign him for what they want to give him??

Samkow 10-27-2003 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by contingent_23
The Wild are crazy not to resign him at the price he wants. Who scores the goals? DO the Wild Managment feel that their pride would be injured if they can't resign him for what they want to give him??

Its one thing to play hardball but what Risenbourgh is doing is completly different.

3mta3 10-27-2003 01:32 PM

If it weren't a situation where a player was taking a pay cut I would be singing Doug R.'s praises from the mountaintop. The kid had to sign a rookie minimum contract, as they all do, that was sweetened with bonus clauses, as they all are. This kid nailed them all, made the cash that management agreed to, and now they're offering him a pay cut.

I wonder how big an issue this would have been if the CBA weren't expiring at the end of the season... You add to that the garbage that Dupuis got and things aren't looking too nice for Wild fans. 3 seasons of sellouts and a playoff run = the top 3 scorers gone.

KeithBWhittington 10-27-2003 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3mta3
If it weren't a situation where a player was taking a pay cut I would be singing Doug R.'s praises from the mountaintop. The kid had to sign a rookie minimum contract, as they all do, that was sweetened with bonus clauses, as they all are. This kid nailed them all, made the cash that management agreed to, and now they're offering him a pay cut.

I wonder how big an issue this would have been if the CBA weren't expiring at the end of the season... You add to that the garbage that Dupuis got and things aren't looking too nice for Wild fans. 3 seasons of sellouts and a playoff run = the top 3 scorers gone.

Excatly Right guys, its gotta be scary and depressing for Wild Fans. Richard Park and Antti Lakksonen are now pushed to the top line?? Ouch :dunno: