HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rumor..Berard to the Flames? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=23237)

Iggy-4-50 10-27-2003 09:29 AM

Rumor..Berard to the Flames?

Pulled this from CP:

Quote:

John Davidson was on a morning radio show here this morning and was asked about the Canucks/Berard rumors. He said they were false, that Al Strachan (surprise) had taken a stab at which team it may be, and is wrong. The Canucks have also denied any interest.

Davidson said Berard and his agent have a deal in place with a Western Conference team, and that team is trying to clear salary to take on Berard. Davidson was sworn to secrecy about the team in question, but was asked, is the team west of Winnipeg and south of Edmonton, to which he chuckled and said, like I said I can't reveal that.
Could use his shot from the point but who goes?

Bruwinz37 10-27-2003 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T@T
Pulled this from CP:

You must be thinking of a different Bryan Berard, because the one that played for the Boston Bruins last year had a terrible shot from the point that seemed to be even worse when he was on the PP.

I'll tell ya what....trade us Denis Gauthier straight up for him...heck...I will even throw in a third round pick and we can call it even.

There is NO way that Calgary will give him over 2m USD to get him without compensation.

Benji Frank 10-27-2003 09:53 AM

How bad is Turek's knee? Is there a chance he'll be out long enough for insurance to kick in? I've heard 4 weeks was very optimistic! If this is the case, coupled with the fact that the season is already 10% over, the 2 million $ pricetag might not be that hard for Calgary to absorb. Prorated for the games already played it's 1.8 mill, and if insurance kicks in on Turek, it'll save about $50,000 per game Turek can't play after the 30 or whatever game waiting period........

Berard could sure help them. They're staying in games right now without scoring! He'd probably be able to help kickstart Iginla and co.!!!! :rolly:

Phanuthier* 10-27-2003 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benji Frank
How bad is Turek's knee?

Worse than expected, "Pretty torn up" by quite possibly the most reliable source in to the world to one of my friends.

As for this team, Colorado also fits the profile. Maybe they are ready to deal Skoula?

IGM 10-27-2003 11:02 AM

I still feel that he will be an LA King by the end of the week. I had thought it would be the Sharks or Stars for the longest time but lately there have been some weird things going on at Health South and it wouldn't suprise me.

kchadden 10-27-2003 11:10 AM

Colorado would not have to deal anyone, neither would Calgary as Berard is a free agent, the team only has to offer him 80%+ so boston can't match that is only 1.6 million and a little bit...in the end no one could be going to boston. Also colorado does not have to free up salary as the rumored team would have to, as well as they all ready have a pretty solid pp

Flames Draft Watcher 10-27-2003 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kchadden
Colorado would not have to deal anyone, neither would Calgary as Berard is a free agent, the team only has to offer him 80%+ so boston can't match that is only 1.6 million and a little bit...in the end no one could be going to boston. Also colorado does not have to free up salary as the rumored team would have to, as well as they all ready have a pretty solid pp

?

Isn't 80% of 2.5 million closer to 2 million?

jfont 10-27-2003 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T@T
Pulled this from CP:

pardon my ignorance but whats CP?

Guest 10-27-2003 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfont
pardon my ignorance but whats CP?

My guess is Canadian Press

neelynugs 10-27-2003 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher
?

Isn't 80% of 2.5 million closer to 2 million?

yup...2.008 million to be exact
but since the season is almost 1/8th over, 2.008 prorated would basically put a team on the hook for 1,757,000...so, i'd expect someone to offer him 2.1 million, which prorates to 1,837,500 over 7/8th's of a year

Shin Pad 10-27-2003 11:48 AM

or CP could be CalgaryPuck.com

loveshack2 10-27-2003 12:32 PM

Would Calgary even be interested in Berard? They already have Lydman, Leopold, and Ference on the blueline.

I don't doubt the Davidson source, but Im not sure Calgary is the most logical destination to draw from his comments.

Michalek 10-27-2003 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loveshack2
Would Calgary even be interested in Berard? They already have Lydman, Leopold, and Ference on the blueline.

I don't doubt the Davidson source, but Im not sure Calgary is the most logical destination to draw from his comments.

Lydman is more 2 way player , Leopold could still use some time ,and Ferrance is battling for #6job ,so answer is , yes they would surely use Berard.

Super-Rye 10-27-2003 01:31 PM

The idea of signing Berard would be to upgrade the PP. So, if the Flames signed Berard, they'd trade 1 of Lydman and Ference. My guess would be Lydman as he does have a huge contract and doesn't do as much as he should. What would Lydman go for? Picks and prospects, but if the Flames found someone every Desperate, they could unload him for a 3rd liner with offensive potential.

zoidberg 10-27-2003 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Super-Rye
The idea of signing Berard would be to upgrade the PP. So, if the Flames signed Berard, they'd trade 1 of Lydman and Ference. My guess would be Lydman as he does have a huge contract and doesn't do as much as he should. What would Lydman go for? Picks and prospects, but if the Flames found someone every Desperate, they could unload him for a 3rd liner with offensive potential.

3rd liner my ass. Lydman could fetch much more on the market but is too valuable to the team. He quietly brings close to the most attributes to the Flames D. I'd rather trade Gauthier or Ference.

evman150* 10-27-2003 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoCoyotes
My guess is Canadian Press

Calgarypuck.com

Here is the link to the thread:

http://www.calgarypuck.com/forum/for...?TID=3487&PN=1

jfont 10-27-2003 02:10 PM

if anyone else heard the radio rumor (i need 2) then i will keep this thread open, otherwise, that link is no good for a 'rumor'...

IGM 10-27-2003 02:14 PM

I have made some phone calls and I think you should close it. I haven't been able to find anyone that can confirm any of it.

There is now some coverage at spectors but it says differently.

evman150* 10-27-2003 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfont
if anyone else heard the radio rumor (i need 2) then i will keep this thread open, otherwise, that link is no good for a 'rumor'...

It was confirmed by a couple of posters on CP. The guy who started the thread runs canuckscorner.com and said he heard it on Team 1040 Vancouver.

But hey, if you want to close it, no skin off my nose.

evman150* 10-27-2003 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IGM
I have made some phone calls and I think you should close it. I haven't been able to find anyone that can confirm any of it.

There is now some coverage at spectors but it says differently.

Yes. It is on Spector's.

Quote:

On AM1040 Team radio's John McKeachie show, John Davidson reports that the winning team in the Berard bidding is NOT the Canucks, but IS "a team in the West," (citing a promise not to be too specific). JD claims that the salary has been agreed to, but the team needs to clear space in its salary structure (i.e. trade or demote some expensive contracts)."
Also, when asked if the team was "west of Winnipeg, and south of Edmonton", he gave no definitive answer but hinted it was indeed the Flames.

IGM 10-27-2003 05:43 PM

Thanks for the update. The idea though that it came from someone who runs a fansite as a credible source isn't right though but Spectors should do the job. Sort of.

Super-Rye 10-27-2003 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cannon71
Lydman would go for a lot more than picks and prospects. He is the Flames' most complete defenceman and can play 25 minutes a game consistently (13th in the league in ice-time last season). Ference is unlikely to go as he is very affordable ($500k), so it is either Gauthier or Lydman or a forward (Conroy, Gelinas) to make room salary wise. Lydman seems less likely than Gauthier because Sutter tied him in to a long-term contract. It has also been rumoured recently that Sutter is shopping Gauthier and that NJ is interested in Conroy, so who knows what will turn up.

Lydman DOES have more value then that, but IF the Flames did sign Berard, that's about 2 mill added to the payroll they'd have to move, and for the Flames to move Lydman and gain anthoer contract above 1.3 mill would be pointless. If you add Berard, who has defensive short comings, you don't move a strong, stay-at-home defenseman like Gauthier. While i'd rather see Calgary move Montador to the minor's instead of trading Lydman or Ference, this just wouldn't happen. Also, you're remarks about Gelinas and Conroy, I don't think Sutter will move any of the key forwards. Conroy played a good game against Edmonton, and Gelinas has a no-trade clause, and Sutter likes Gelinas' defensive play...but there's only so long you can go without a point until you take a seat for a while.

Suter to MacInnis 10-27-2003 08:11 PM

This rumour of Berard to Calgary was discussed on sportsnet by Kypreos and Watters tonight as well.

flamesfanont 10-28-2003 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruwinz20
You must be thinking of a different Bryan Berard, because the one that played for the Boston Bruins last year had a terrible shot from the point that seemed to be even worse when he was on the PP.

I'll tell ya what....trade us Denis Gauthier straight up for him...heck...I will even throw in a third round pick and we can call it even.

There is NO way that Calgary will give him over 2m USD to get him without compensation.

Well we can land Berard for just a contract offer but we will send you Gauthier for that 3rd and a bluechipper gladly!

Ironchef Chris Wok* 10-28-2003 05:17 AM

I'm surprised nobody has said Edmonton yet.

NOBODY needs another powerplay QB other than Edmonton. From what I've heard, Brewer isn't doing the most fantastic job, Bergeron is OK, so is Semenov, but Berard woudl give them a real offensive threat on the blueline.