HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   thanxs hitch!!!!!! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=232430)

panayiotis 03-18-2006 11:04 AM

thanxs hitch!!!!!!

You helped run Willy and Sharp out of town...I have seen Willy kill the Habs all season long. :clap: And Sharp has been producing down the stretch for Chi-town..What did Clarke get for them..Nothing..... :help: The flyers lack a quality scorer on second line..Sharp could have been used at dealine to aquire somthing more then a scrub for the phantoms..The willy trade might rank as one of flyers worse..Young players and Hitch. A :jump: re a bad combo..Willy would not have been out of place in Turino.. :teach:

HoverCarle* 03-18-2006 11:09 AM

who is willy?

John Flyers Fan 03-18-2006 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panayiotis
You helped run Willy and Sharp out of town...I have seen Willy kill the Habs all season long. :clap: And Sharp has been producing down the stretch for Chi-town..What did Clarke get for them..Nothing..... :help: The flyers lack a quality scorer on second line..Sharp could have been used at dealine to aquire somthing more then a scrub for the phantoms..The willy trade might rank as one of flyers worse..Young players and Hitch. A :jump: re a bad combo..Willy would not have been out of place in Turino.. :teach:

Willy was traded because we were in dire need of a defenseman. The options were pretty much Williams or Gagne for a defenseman. Yes, it certainly would be nice to have Willy on the team, but the playoff run in 2004 doesn't happen without that deal.

Dr Love 03-18-2006 11:14 AM

Quote:

Sharp has been producing down the stretch for Chi-town
First off, Sharp was dealt because he wasn't buying into Hitch's system.

Down the strech? That's a term you use for a team that's fighting for playoff positioning or a playoff spot. The Hawks stink, and Sharp's production isn't any better in Chicago than it was in Philly. 0.38 ppg vs 0.36 ppg, an increase of 0.02 in what, 4+ minutes more of ice time? But don't let that stop you and your agenda.

Refuse 03-18-2006 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hovercraft
who is willy?

Justin Williams?

Banger 03-18-2006 11:17 AM

(sarcasm on) Great post. You're right Sharpe would have made all the difference on this team. He was an awesome 4th liner/healthy scratch. (sarcasm off)

priceperlb* 03-18-2006 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banger
(sarcasm on) Great post. You're right Sharpe would have made all the difference on this team. He was an awesome 4th liner/healthy scratch. (sarcasm off)

I liked Sharpe, but that is effin funny :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

panayiotis 03-18-2006 11:33 AM

okay

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Willy was traded because we were in dire need of a defenseman. The options were pretty much Williams or Gagne for a defenseman. Yes, it certainly would be nice to have Willy on the team, but the playoff run in 2004 doesn't happen without that deal.

If markov was such a great pick up? Why was he not re-signed? If Willy was allowed to thrive. Like he is for the Canes. He would not have been dealt.

panayiotis 03-18-2006 11:35 AM

again

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Love
First off, Sharp was dealt because he wasn't buying into Hitch's system.

Down the strech? That's a term you use for a team that's fighting for playoff positioning or a playoff spot. The Hawks stink, and Sharp's production isn't any better in Chicago than it was in Philly. 0.38 ppg vs 0.36 ppg, an increase of 0.02 in what, 4+ minutes more of ice time? But don't let that stop you and your agenda.

He has been playing better recently..The team got nothing for him..And many other players both in Philly and Dallas are not buying the cheese steak Hitch is selling.

priceperlb* 03-18-2006 11:38 AM

Quote:

He has been playing better recently..The team got nothing for him..And many other players both in Philly and Dallas are not buying the cheese steak Hitch is selling.

Probably didn't help to bring in the Captain of the team that last tuned him out. Thanx Clarke!

Dr Love 03-18-2006 11:41 AM

Quote:

If markov was such a great pick up? Why was he not re-signed? If Willy was allowed to thrive. Like he is for the Canes. He would not have been dealt.

He wasn't not re-signed. He was under contract, he was traded to make room for Rathje.

Quote:

A X game stretch doesn't change anything, his production rate for the season is still the same. When he goes 7 or 8 games without a point, what will you say then?

GoneFullHextall 03-18-2006 12:08 PM

there was no way anyone could have predicted the kind of year Williams is having in Carolina.
As said earlier the deal had to be made. I liked Williams as much as anyone but we needed a defenseman and had to pay the price. Carolina wanted a roster player back who was a forward and Williams had to be the guy(sure wasnt going to be Gagne)
Williams never gave any indication that he was going to bust out like this, new rules or not. his best year prior to this was 01-02 17 goals, 23 assists, 75 games.

priceperlb* 03-18-2006 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Love
He wasn't not re-signed. He was under contract, he was traded to make room for Rathje.

Great move Clarke! Still isn't Hitch's fault.

CNote 03-18-2006 02:38 PM

I like the fact that Williams is having a breakout year...good for him!

The bottom line is that it was a trade we HAD to make and was intrumental in helping us eliminate the defending champs in the 1st round (see Markov's series winner vs. the Devils).

Juwi will always be #14 to me.

Go Flyers!
-Cnote-

MojoJojo 03-18-2006 04:09 PM

Sharp's trade was about cap management, and getting a player that could be sent down to the AHL, Williams' trade was about patching up a defense with four starters injured. Neither had anything to do with Hitchcock.

FlyersFanJS 03-18-2006 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MojoJojo
Sharp's trade was about cap management, and getting a player that could be sent down to the AHL, Williams' trade was about patching up a defense with four starters injured. Neither had anything to do with Hitchcock.

the willy trade had to happen at that time, hated to see him go, but markov is a really solid d-man, wish we would have held on to him instead of traded for rathje, improved quality and cap space IMO

the sharp trade wasn't because of cap space or sending anybody down to the phantoms (if that was the case they would have moved sim down) but sharp and hitch just didn't get along, and that's why he's gone....don't think it matters though, sharp is a decent 3/4 line player, but he wouldn't be doing anything on this team

Fuman* 03-18-2006 04:26 PM

oh please Sharp was a 3rd of 4th liner all his career........also what does him producing on a last place team mean? nothing

and can't believe your still harping about JW ........yes it's a move we HAD to do

sorry to see him go but get over it.

Pantokrator 03-18-2006 04:55 PM

Nobody was pleased to get rid of Williams, but Markov was a good pickup. The main question though, is Would Williams be having this type of season in the old NHL? No one knew what the new NHL would be like, heck, at the time of the trade no one knew there would be no season in 2004. Williams in the old NHL could never be as good as he is now, due to interference, clutching, etc. So, I think in order to judge the trade fairly, you need to look at the context of the original deal. The Flyers needed immediate defensive help and got a very good defenseman. They gave up a player who was, at the time, serviceable, but not an important part of the team, and with the old style of the NHL, a player who might never have been more than a 15-20 goal player. Right now, I'd surely like to have that trade back, but at the time, it was a decent deal.

RoDu 03-18-2006 06:36 PM

The one thing that bugs me about the Williams/Markov trade is that we gave up JW for DM, then after the season traded DM for a pick, and not evan a great one, I think

John Flyers Fan 03-18-2006 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerfanofthepeg
The one thing that bugs me about the Williams/Markov trade is that we gave up JW for DM, then after the season traded DM for a pick, and not evan a great one, I think

Essentially it was Williams for Markov, and then Markov for a 3rd and Rathje.

Dig Out Your Soul 03-18-2006 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerfanofthepeg

And ended up with slow-*** molasses Rathje for way more money than Danny.

MojoJojo 03-18-2006 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersFanJS
the sharp trade wasn't because of cap space or sending anybody down to the phantoms (if that was the case they would have moved sim down) but sharp and hitch just didn't get along, and that's why he's gone....don't think it matters though, sharp is a decent 3/4 line player, but he wouldn't be doing anything on this team

Its called a two way contract. A player on a two way contract can be sent down and recalled at will, and we only have to pay for the days he is up with the team (ie game day) for cap purposes. In order to send down a veteran you have to put him on waivers. If you do that you are stuck paying his NHL salary and cant recall him without again being subjected to waivers, but this time you are stuck with half his salary and cap hit if he is picked up by another team.

Sharp was traded at a time we had guys coming off the IR. It was either trade a roster player or send down Umberger. Sim (who was traded anyway) and Savage were the other candidates for a trade, and at least Sharp had enough trade value to net us a third round pick (which basically turned into Dimitrakos).

And how do you know about how Hitchcock and Sharp got along? I'd bet you pulled that directly out of your ###.

priceperlb* 03-18-2006 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MojoJojo
And how do you know about how Hitchcock and Sharp got along? I'd bet you pulled that directly out of your ###.

Sharp mentioned their relationship when he got traded as part of the issue. Actually he said he wasn't listening to Hitch. Sooooo.......

Miracle80 03-18-2006 09:35 PM

Not real sure how it works but it seems like Hitch runs people out of town. If your not with him, then see you later. Conversely, the team ran Barber out of town. Not sure who's running this team, players, coach or GM?

priceperlb* 03-18-2006 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miracle80
Not real sure how it works but it seems like Hitch runs people out of town. If your not with him, then see you later. Conversely, the team ran Barber out of town. Not sure who's running this team, players, coach or GM?

Hitch and Barber are two very different situations.

Hitch has a plan and if you don't buy in you don't stay. Of course the guys that seem to have gone are McGillis and Sharpe. Where's McGillis? Sharpe, though I liked him, is replaceable.

Barber? Never had a plan. Where is he coaching? Oh yeah, nowhere.

I still don't think it was a good idea to bring the captain of his former team that tuned him out in here. How good a captain could he have been? That was a very talented Stars team.