HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Freddy Meyer (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=232594)

stocker 03-18-2006 08:37 PM

Freddy Meyer

What do you think of this kid?

Lupul* 03-18-2006 08:44 PM

Plays bigger than his size, great wrist shot, good mobility, takes the body well though not physical, dependable defensively and on the power play, top four pairing guy IMO.

FlyersFanJS 03-18-2006 08:47 PM

i like the kid, alot of people rag on him because he makes mistakes...you have to keep in mind that he is a rookie (i think he is, if not he doesn't have a ton of NHL experience)...young players, particularly d-men, will make mistakes...i think he will be a solid d-man for philly for years to come

Ex Storm 03-18-2006 08:53 PM

I'm happy with him, offensively and defensively. He's a rookie so there will be growing pains, but I'd like to see him stick with the big club over one of the slower defensemen when all are healthy.

Roger's Pancreas* 03-18-2006 08:56 PM

There's nothing to really complain about. He'll make mistakes --probably for the rest of his career-- but his all around game makes up for it. He's chippy, he's offensively talented, extremely mobile, cheap, and can be put into the top 4 situation in a pinch. He'll eventually be in the top four as a regular, and for a free agent pick up is a damn good find.

Jester 03-18-2006 09:03 PM

solid 5/6 guy, decent on the PP... weak top 4 guy. needs to be smarter with the puck.

mja 03-18-2006 09:20 PM

I've come around on him.

He's a legit NHL'er. He doesn't make any more mistakes than any other rookie dman. His size is his only issue. It isn't that he doesn't play physical, he's a pretty chippy guy. It is just that he doesn't have the strenght to deal with a 6'3" power forward and often gets tossed aside like a rag doll.

HoverCarle* 03-18-2006 09:22 PM

i think he can be a top 4 guy. and if not he is a sweet 5-6 guy.

Gert B Frobe 03-18-2006 10:05 PM

I think he's a very good 5-6 with a little more experience. Upside top 4 defenseman. Makes too many mistakes now. His upside will be determined by how much he can reduce mental errors.

BringBackStevens 03-18-2006 10:20 PM

He's been my boy since day one. I love his game

BobbyClarkeFan16 03-18-2006 10:34 PM

I've always said a poor man's Brian Rafalski and I'll stick to it. Remember that Rafalski didn't even start in the league until 27 or something like that. The fact that Meyer is what, 23 or 24, and he's starting means that he's ahead of the learning curve. He's going to be very good for us.

GKJ 03-18-2006 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hovercraft
i think he can be a top 4 guy. and if not he is a sweet 5-6 guy.

5 is about as high as he'll ever get. If you make him a top 4 d-man he will get overmatched having to play against better players more frequently.

GoneFullHolmgren 03-18-2006 11:12 PM

I have supported and rooted for him since day 1.

Have to since hes from my neck of the woods.

MojoJojo 03-18-2006 11:58 PM

Meyer turned into the player we thought we were getting with Seidenberg. Smallish, but fast and great hockey-sense. Best surprise of the year.

GKJ 03-19-2006 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MojoJojo
Meyer turned into the player we thought we were getting with Seidenberg. Smallish, but fast and great hockey-sense. Best surprise of the year.

He is also hard to take out of a play because he has a low center of gravity. If Chara gives him a clean check he'll get called for boarding because he can't get low enough :biglaugh:

TheKingPin 03-19-2006 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trippyime
I'm happy with him, offensively and defensively. He's a rookie so there will be growing pains, but I'd like to see him stick with the big club over one of the slower defensemen when all are healthy.

Yea I agree i think id keep him over Rathje when KJ is healthy.

HoverCarle* 03-19-2006 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
5 is about as high as he'll ever get. If you make him a top 4 d-man he will get overmatched having to play against better players more frequently.

well hes not shutdown by any sense. but hes gonna be a good PP QB. only thing is how he makes some mistakes byt pinching or whatever he cant be paired with someone else who makes mistakes(jones) or hell look really bad. but with a good responisble partner(like when he was with hatcher) he works perfectly.

priceperlb* 03-19-2006 11:12 AM

He's as close to a shutdown as anyone else on the squad. He doesn't make any more mistakes than our big free agent prizes and he beats them in aggressiveness. If Hatcher and Rathje make the top 3, he's easily in the same realm, plus he has an offensive game. I don't know if that tells you how good he is or how bad the D-corps is.

Brian Rafalski? Yeah, I'd agree with that. The only thing Hatcher beats him in is hitting power and going to the penalty box.

HoverCarle* 03-19-2006 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by priceperlb
He's as close to a shutdown as anyone else on the squad. He doesn't make any more mistakes than our big free agent prizes and he beats them in aggressiveness. If Hatcher and Rathje make the top 3, he's easily in the same realm, plus he has an offensive game. I don't know if that tells you how good he is or how bad the D-corps is.

Brian Rafalski? Yeah, I'd agree with that. The only thing Hatcher beats him in is hitting power and going to the penalty box.

i think meyer might turn into a kind of KJ clone, cept with more offense and less size

thejroll 03-19-2006 11:49 AM

He is acceptable as long as hes not on the ice at the same time as Jones- there a turnover waiting to happen.

BringBackStevens 03-19-2006 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thejroll
He is acceptable as long as hes not on the ice at the same time as Jones- there a turnover waiting to happen.

pretty much anyone on the ice with jones is a turnover waiting to happen

SPG 03-21-2006 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hovercraft
i think meyer might turn into a kind of KJ clone, cept with more offense and less size

He wouldn't be a clone of KJ then, would he? ;)