HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   C.I.S. Message Board Now Up (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=23294)

Guy Flaming 10-27-2003 12:50 PM

C.I.S. Message Board Now Up

For those of you who are big fans of Canadian University Hockey I thought I'd mention to you that...

After some convincing by a local Edmonton media guy who is big at the U of A... he convinced me and I ocnvinced Holly that CIS hockey should be a part of HF.

So if you go to the main message board page and scroll down to where NCAA is... you'll see a CIS sub-forum.

Don't make me a liar, I told Holly it would work. Soon there will be articles too and not written by me but by... (someone else most of you will recognize... but it's still being worked out. he gave me a verbal commitment though!).

Post like madmen and crazy women there please and prove me right!

Guy Flaming 10-28-2003 06:30 AM

Don't forget to post something while you're there too.

Spearing47 10-28-2003 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyF
Don't forget to post something while you're there too.

Hey Guy, I could send you infos on the UQTR Pat's...I use to attend their local games...Don't know if it could be general interest...just asking.

Guy Flaming 10-28-2003 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THEGOON63
Hey Guy, I could send you infos on the UQTR Pat's...I use to attend their local games...Don't know if it could be general interest...just asking.

Sure but don't send it to me... post it on the CIS message board section. I am NOT the writer covering the CIS. I cover the Oilers and am busy enough with that without getting in over my head with University stuff. Honestly, I've never been to a University game that didn't involve the Oilers' rookies so I'm not the guy for that job anyway!

Slats432 10-28-2003 07:45 AM

Sadly, very few in Canada care about University sports in general. I don't have any interest in a CIS forum.

For those who do...go to town.

Guy Flaming 10-28-2003 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slats432
Sadly, very few in Canada care about University sports in general. I don't have any interest in a CIS forum.

For those who do...go to town.

I know slats... part of that might be because the media in general doesn't pay much attention to it. You could say that this is HF's way of contributing to changing that.

thome_26 10-28-2003 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyF
I know slats... part of that might be because the media in general doesn't pay much attention to it. You could say that this is HF's way of contributing to changing that.

It's just such an up hill battle though as there are so many better leagues around that a person could follow. I mean the AHL, ECHL, WHL, QMJHL, OHL are all better/more entertaining/interesting leagues to me ten the CIS - who is the last player to play in the CIS that is in the NHL, much less make an impact? I guess thats why i have no interest in it.

Guy Flaming 10-28-2003 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thome_26
It's just such an up hill battle though as there are so many better leagues around that a person could follow. I mean the AHL, ECHL, WHL, QMJHL, OHL are all better/more entertaining/interesting leagues to me ten the CIS - who is the last player to play in the CIS that is in the NHL, much less make an impact? I guess thats why i have no interest in it.

you see... this is a topic for discussion on those boards! Go there and copy/paste this thread thome and see what kind of discussion you can start. (I would but I gotta go to CGY now).

Allan 10-28-2003 03:20 PM

Quote:

Randy Gregg.

Cory Cross, too :D

Both from the Bears.

aki 10-28-2003 07:22 PM

Steve Rucchin

Allan 10-28-2003 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aki
Steve Rucchin

Where did he play?

thome_26 10-28-2003 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allan
Where did he play?

ok, so there are a very FEW guys, but nobody that is an exciting young player/prospect, nobody who is a known name. as I said, all the junior leagues, NCAA, AHL, and Euro Elite and Super leagues are all much better leagues with people who are worth following IMO.

Allan 10-28-2003 07:56 PM

Quote:

ok, so there are a very FEW guys, but nobody that is an exciting young player/prospect, nobody who is a known name. as I said, all the junior leagues, NCAA, AHL, and Euro Elite and Super leagues are all much better leagues with people who are worth following IMO.

Agreed. But I'm hard pressed to think of a more fun place to go on the weekend than a Bears game.

aki 10-29-2003 10:10 AM

Rucchin played for Western.

You may also remember Mike Ridley (Was/NYR) from a few years back - he came from the U of Manitoba.

I'll agree that the list is quite short but there are some decent players who have come out of the CIS. There are lots of ex-CHL'ers playing in the CIS nowadays and I wouldn't be surprised to see a few of them make the jump to the pros over the next few years.