HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   First Time in Montreal (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=233298)

habsforever 03-21-2006 08:25 AM

First Time in Montreal

Hi fellow habs fans I've never started a post before so this is all new to me, I go on this site daily though. Myself and 3 other habs fans from Sault Ste. Marie Ontario are coming to Montreal to watch the back to back Montreal/Toronto games and can't wait. So I was just wondering if you can tell me some cool things to do during our stay ie.. places to eat , site seeing, night life ect.. Also the old forum isn't the arena anymore but is it still full of memoribilia and worth the tour.. thanks a lot for any responses. I just want to make the trip the best as possible... and GO HABS GO.....

NBHABSFAN 03-21-2006 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habsforever
Hi fellow habs fans I've never started a post before so this is all new to me, I go on this site daily though. Myself and 3 other habs fans from Sault Ste. Marie Ontario are coming to Montreal to watch the back to back Montreal/Toronto games and can't wait. So I was just wondering if you can tell me some cool things to do during our stay ie.. places to eat , site seeing, night life ect.. Also the old forum isn't the arena anymore but is it still full of memoribilia and worth the tour.. thanks a lot for any responses. I just want to make the trip the best as possible... and GO HABS GO.....

Check out Montreal Plus they have lots of info on Resturants and Night Life all rated by how good they are.

As for the Old Forum, now the Pepsi Forum, its a Movie Theater, Future Shop, Bowling Alley worth a visit to check it out, but they have done a number on it.

bazz 03-21-2006 09:52 AM

Whatever you do, go to Dunns for a smoked meat sandwich...
Look them up in google, they have a website.

Dan K 03-21-2006 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NBHABSFAN
Check out Montreal Plus they have lots of info on Resturants and Night Life all rated by how good they are.

As for the Old Forum, now the Pepsi Forum, its a Movie Theater, Future Shop, Bowling Alley worth a visit to check it out, but they have done a number on it.

Indeed, but there is still a good amount of memorabilia in the Pepsi Forum. A few displays of some legends, some forum seats. It's pretty decripit right now unfortunately, as it seems few places do really well there and several have closed down / gone out of business. It might be nice to stop by and visit if you want to go to a movie or something, but it's not a place you're going to spend a lot of time in otherwise.

SharkGirl27 03-21-2006 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habsforever

hey I am from out of town as well, but make it up to Montreal on a fairly regular basis. nightlife wise check out Crescent St. and St. Laurent, they've got a bunch of little bars and such, my favorites being Thursday's and Sir Winston Churchill's which are right next to each other on crescent.

if you want to try a little nicer place to eat go to Vargas right next to the Queen Elizabeth hotel. the food is to die for, great prime rib and I've heard good things about some of the seafood dishes. it's not gonna cost you a fortune to eat there, but it's not necessarily cheap either.

site seeing check out old montreal, it's really a cool little place, makes you feel like you're in europe. they also have like street performers (at least when it's warmer and on sunday's anyway), and some really good italian restaurants, but I can't remember the name of it.

hope that helps, if you need more help, feel free to pm me.

Dan K 03-21-2006 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HABSoluteDMB11
hey I am from out of town as well, but make it up to Montreal on a fairly regular basis. nightlife wise check out Crescent St. and St. Laurent, they've got a bunch of little bars and such, my favorites being Thursday's and Sir Winston Churchill's which are right next to each other on crescent.

if you want to try a little nicer place to eat go to Vargas right next to the Queen Elizabeth hotel. the food is to die for, great prime rib and I've heard good things about some of the seafood dishes. it's not gonna cost you a fortune to eat there, but it's not necessarily cheap either.

site seeing check out old montreal, it's really a cool little place, makes you feel like you're in europe. they also have like street performers (at least when it's warmer and on sunday's anyway), and some really good italian restaurants, but I can't remember the name of it.

hope that helps, if you need more help, feel free to pm me.

Nice to see Sir Winston's getting some love. Crescent Street, particularly the block closest to the intersection of St. Catherine (the main downtown core street), is definitely a great place for drinks. Sir Winston's was so far off my radar not long ago, just because two other great bars, Madhatters and Brutopia, are only a short walk away. But lately, Sir Winston's is the place for me.

Anyway, that area is great. Old Montreal is worth a visit too, though it's not at it's best this time of year (still kinda cold to walk around, and not cold enough / snowy enough for winter stuff). Otherwise, just stroll around downtown. It's beautiful, and I'm sure you'll find something to do.

Vicious 03-21-2006 10:58 AM

Make it your duty to go eat at Schwartz's while you're here.

vweyonlah 03-21-2006 11:55 AM

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Chez Parée so far...

Le Tricolore 03-21-2006 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bazz
Whatever you do, go to Dunns for a smoked meat sandwich...
Look them up in google, they have a website.

I think Schwartz' is better, but you can't go wrong either way.

Mr. Steer for a burger, perhaps? It's on Ste Catherine right across from the Paramount movie theatre.

Russeltown 03-21-2006 12:41 PM

There's many good places to eat, for not too many $

Here's my favorites :

Pizza : Il Focolaio (at the Phillips Square Corner of St. Catherine and Union)
Smoked Meat : Schwartz (St. Laurent Blvd, Between Roy and Duluth St.)
Mussels, Beer.. : Bières & Compagnie (There's one on St-Laurent, another one on St. Denis)

Café Republique on Peel between René Levesque and St. Catherine is also great value :D
Carlos & Pepe's (Peel, Between St. Catherine and De Maisonneuve Blvd.) is also nice :)

Have a nice day, enjoy your trip :)

Le Tricolore 03-21-2006 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sYn
Carlos & Pepe's (Peel, Between St. Catherine and De Maisonneuve Blvd.) is also nice :)

3 Amigos is the same but cheaper :p

Renholder 03-21-2006 01:02 PM

Glad to see madhatter's is getting some love :D

SharkGirl27 03-21-2006 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vweyonlah
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Chez Parée so far...

I almost did, but I figured coming from a girl it wouldn't go over too well.

Le Tricolore 03-21-2006 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HABSoluteDMB11
I almost did, but I figured coming from a girl it wouldn't go over too well.

or it'd go over better...?

SharkGirl27 03-21-2006 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjb45
or it'd go over better...?

yeah I guess that's a possibility as well. ;)

tinyzombies 03-21-2006 10:00 PM

Schwartz's isn't what it used to be. I wouldn't bother.

Walking along Ste-Catherine Street from around Guy St to St. Laurent, then turn left and walk up St. Laurent (it gets more interesting after Sherbrooke Street). Then you can turn east on Duluth to St-Denis Street and walk back down.

That's basically the shopping district. There are more indoor and underground malls along Ste-Catherine and they are all connected, but there are stores along the street too and it's getting warm, so there will be a lot of people out.

Crescent Street is good if you wanna bag some 30 year olds, there are some younger clubs there too. Depends what you want. But if you're English, it's probably the way to go.

Yes, and there are strip clubs that have $10 contact dances, but I wouldn't know much about that stuff... :confused: :D

Stefan 03-22-2006 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raketheleaves
Yes, and there are strip clubs that have $10 contact dances, but I wouldn't know much about that stuff... :confused: :D

Speak up! I'm going to Montreal next weekend, this sounds like useful information!

Nols 03-22-2006 01:22 AM

When i was in school in MTL, the bars and restaurants of choice were:

Les deux Pierrots
Peel Pub
Schwartz

Vicious 03-22-2006 01:39 AM

Quote:

I spend more money at Dunn's than I do at Schwartz's .. but there is no contest. Schwartz's is just amazing.

bazz 03-22-2006 06:32 AM

Quote:

Mr. Steer for a burger, perhaps? It's on Ste Catherine right across from the Paramount movie theatre.

I'll have to try Schwartz when I next visit! My father's from MTL and he said that it was a must - I tried it and loved it.

SharkGirl27 03-22-2006 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nols
When i was in school in MTL, the bars and restaurants of choice were:

Les deux Pierrots
Peel Pub
Schwartz

Peel Pub :D pitchers of mixed drinks, hell yeah! But I also remember there being a shooting or stabbing in there a couple years back.

As for crescent, I am 24, haven't been to Montreal in over a year and have been partying over there for 6 years at least.