HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Who will be resigned in the off season? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=233419)

c3po 03-21-2006 03:18 PM

Who will be resigned in the off season?

With the cap going up and with a number of highly skilled free agents on the market who do you think will be resigned and who will be let go. Johnsson and Gagne are going to most likely be resigned but for how much? Will the flyers keep Nedved,Brashear,Desjardins,Stevenson or will Clarke try to make some cap room for names like Chara and Redden? Finally how much cap room will the flyers roughly have if the cap goes to 46 million?

Dr Love 03-21-2006 03:22 PM

Nedved still has another year on his contract IIRC. But I think he'll be put on waivers after the season. Stevenson has two more years left on his contract.

I'd say Brashear is sure to be gone, but they didn't buy him out when they could have, so who knows.

I think Desjardins is back with a paycut.

Roger's Pancreas* 03-21-2006 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Love
Nedved still has another year on his contract IIRC. But I think he'll be put on waivers after the season. Stevenson has two more years left on his contract.

I'd say Brashear is sure to be gone, but they didn't buy him out when they could have, so who knows.

Stevenson only has one more year on his contract. He was signed pre-lockout so that automatically ate a year off of it.

Brash will probably be brought back for dirt cheap.

I don't see us going after any of the Sens D-man because of how many we're going to have to sign ourselves.

FlyHigh 03-21-2006 03:46 PM

Quote:

I think Brash wasn't cut because LeClair and Amonte were making so much more.

BobbyClarkeFan16 03-21-2006 03:55 PM

Who knows who they'll resign. And the cap going up isn't a sure thing either. Last word was that Saskin was going to try to talk to the NHLPA into accepting a lower cap figure with less revenue tied up in escrow. Can you say owner's shill? I honestly can't see the players willingly accept less money with lesser escrow percentage being taken. However, the NHLPA has done some really silly things as of late, so I'm not sure what they'll do.

As it stands, I think the only signings we'll see by the Flyers are resigning our own guys. I'm thinking Gagne, KJ, and Pitkanen all get resigned to big deals. I'm also thinking that Gauthier and Desjardins will be signed to two year deals. However, I think the big move will come at the draft and I've got a funny feeling that they deal Handzus, Esche, and a first for one of the top picks in the draft and they try to draft Erik Johnson. If he isn't available, then they'll go after someone like Kessel or Toews.

I'm also thinking that the blueline next year gets a more infusion of youth as Alex Picard will make the big team. Next year's D-core will look real interesting: Pitkanen, Desjardins, Hatcher, Rathje, Meyer, Gauthier, and Jones as the 7th guy. That's not too shabby at all. There's mobility, there's toughness, and there's the crease clearer that we need. That's also 8 guys back there, so I'm willing to bet that guys like Rathje, Hatcher, and Desjardins will get more regular rests. That really gives Picard some prime playing time.

As for the forwards, I don't think we'll see any rookies make the team next year. I think Downie spends the year in junior again getting his temper under control, Ruzicka will be back in the AHL for a second season, and I think Potulny will join him and will learn how to play the wing. Potulny is the guy I'm real excited about because he looks like he can be a goal scoring winger like Brian Propp. That's exciting. We know Richards is the second coming of Dave Poulin (who was a great, great, great hockey player). Carter looks like he has the offensive gifts to be another Ron Francis (also another great, great, great hockey player). Umberger will be a two way threat who can play all three forward positions. I really don't think we need to sign any other forwards other than our own.

I'm actually kind of forward to looking to how the Flyers will do this offseason. I think there's going to be a lot of addition by subtraction and that's something we should really be excited about. We're going to get out from underneath a few bad contracts and that should go a long way in restructuring our team.

mercury 03-21-2006 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3po
With the cap going up and with a number of highly skilled free agents on the market who do you think will be resigned and who will be let go. Johnsson and Gagne are going to most likely be resigned but for how much? Will the flyers keep Nedved,Brashear,Desjardins,Stevenson or will Clarke try to make some cap room for names like Chara and Redden? Finally how much cap room will the flyers roughly have if the cap goes to 46 million?

Brashear is gone (he HAS to be; please God!). Therien should be gone. One of Desjardins or Johnsson may go, depending on what their asking prices are. Stevenson and Knuble are signed through '07, so I imagine you are wondering if Stevenson would be left on waivers? A distinct possibility, I think. Then again, the offseason would allow for major healing on his part. Savage will probably go, because I think Clarke will use any extra cash to sign a legit, slick 2nd line winger (Vyborny? Afinogenov? Dvorak?). Gagne will be re-signed. The only question is for how large a raise. Pitkanen gets re-signed for a significant raise, but his big payday will be the contract after, when he is getting #1 d-man money. I think Nedved will walk, but I think we will really try to keep Gauthier. Ellison and Radivojevic get re-signed for the appropriate money. The wild card is the status of Primeau. If he is done for good, we will have tons of money to spend on other possible needs (i.e., top 4 d-man, replacement checking line center). A cap of $45-46 million will help us a lot. My guesses:

Gagne($4.5 million)-Forsberg($5.75 million)Knuble ($1.52 million)
Handzus($2.128 million)-Richards($942K)-Vyborny($2.5 million)
Umberger($900K)-Carter($942K)-Kapanen($1.52 million)
Dimitrakos($625K)-Primeau/UFA($???)-Radivojevic($1 million)
Savage/Phantom/UFA ($600K)

D is harder, I think one of Johnsson or Desjardins will be gone. Meyer might take their spot, or we may to sign another 2nd pairing guy. For sure are:

Hatcher($3.5 million)
Rathje($3.5 million)
Pitkanen($2.5 million or so)
Meyer(don't know what his status is; I think he should get one-way NHL contract for decent #5-6 money)

Then the maybes:
Johnsson (could get up to about $3.5 million on the open market; more likely to walk)
Desjardins (can't see him commanding more than $1.5-1.8 million now)

Then Nitty and Esche. Nitty should get locked up for at least 2 years for good money, and Esche could walk after next season, or be trade bait as a UFA next March.

Nitty ($2.5 million)
Esche ($1 million)

So, we are at around the $40 million range with
A) Johnsson walking
B) Nitty getting a raise to $2.5 million
C) One defensive spot left to fill
D) No 4th line center

If Primeau comes back, he is a $3.42 million cap hit. Then we are at about $43.3 million, with the need for one #6-7 defenseman (Picard?). This team COULD be better than this year's and, statistics would say, should suffer fewer injuries.

Pantokrator 03-21-2006 04:00 PM

I know this is just a delusion, but wouldn't it be nice if we signed Elias? I wonder what he'll get on the market.

HoverCarle* 03-21-2006 04:07 PM

i doubt nitty gets 2.5 mil when esche only gets 1 mil. while nitty has more potential at this point there play has been pretty equal this year.

mercury 03-21-2006 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hovercraft
i doubt nitty gets 2.5 mil when esche only gets 1 mil. while nitty has more potential at this point there play has been pretty equal this year.

I overestimated a little because Nitty is a Group II RFA this year, and I think they will try to lock him up for 2-3 years for less than what a true #1 makes. Esche is signed for $1 million through 2007. Then may get turned loose, depending on how this year shakes out. We wouldn't let BOTH Esche and Nitty go into next season as UFAs for 2007. The decision on whom to keep for the long run must be made after this postseason.

flyguy 03-21-2006 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantokrator
I know this is just a delusion, but wouldn't it be nice if we signed Elias? I wonder what he'll get on the market.

Yes, that would be very nice, but he'll be way too much for us

Winston Wolf 03-21-2006 04:40 PM

Niittymaki certainly won't command $2.5 million yet and if Clarke is willing to spend $2.5 million on an UFA winger, it certainly will be somebody better than Vyborny.

After this year's catastrophe, I can't see Clarke not bringing in another defenseman who can play in the top 4.

GKJ 03-21-2006 05:01 PM

Quote:

Stevenson only signed a 2 year deal if i remember correctly, if not it was definetaly a 3-year deal which means he is a UFA in 2007

mercury 03-21-2006 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winston Wolf
Niittymaki certainly won't command $2.5 million yet and if Clarke is willing to spend $2.5 million on an UFA winger, it certainly will be somebody better than Vyborny.

After this year's catastrophe, I can't see Clarke not bringing in another defenseman who can play in the top 4.

I'd like to see another defenseman who can play in the top 4, as well. The only way I see this happening, though, is if both Johnsson and Desjardins walk. Pitkanen, Rathje, and Hatcher are going to be around. I doubt Rathje gets $3.5 million for 3rd pairing minutes, and Joni and Hatcher are obviously top 4 guys. It's possible they both walk, although I think that they would make an attempt to re-sign Johnsson instead of turn over 2 out of the top 6 again after this year. It could be tricky. This is all speculation right now. And don't knock Vyborny. He is way underpaid at like $1.1 million at the moment, and he looks like he wants out of Columbus (he has said he is looking for $5-6 million for 2 years, then back home to the Czech Republic). I doubt anyone pays him $3 million, but he is a top 6 winger who is on pace for 60-61 points this season, and (important for us) he has never played less than 75 games in an NHL season. I think he or someone of that general talent level for $2-2.5 million would be a major boost. Then again, Clarke may want to go for a bigger, power forward type. Who knows?

mercury 03-21-2006 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
Stevenson only signed a 2 year deal if i remember correctly, if not it was definetaly a 3-year deal which means he is a UFA in 2007

Stevenson and Knuble both signed 3-year deals in 2004, before the lockout. They are UFAs in 2007.

RJ8812 03-21-2006 05:10 PM

no way Niitty gets $2.5 mil! nothing higher then $1-1.5mil

HoverCarle* 03-21-2006 05:11 PM

no way desjardins walks. hes either a flyer or hes retiring. but hes having his best season offensivly in years so hopefully he stays and only takes about 1-1.5 mil.

mercury 03-21-2006 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Flyers_
no way Niitty gets $2.5 mil! nothing higher then $1-1.5mil

I said I overestimated! I was being conservative, because one HAS to think that either Esche or Nitty will be named the #1 after this postseason. We can't carry both after next year, and Esche will be a UFA. We won't be able to keep signing our #1 goaltender (whichever it is) to 2-year, $2 million contracts.

mercury 03-21-2006 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hovercraft
no way desjardins walks. hes either a flyer or hes retiring. but hes having his best season offensivly in years so hopefully he stays and only takes about 1-1.5 mil.

I have a feeling he will sign a 2- or 3-year deal here and then hang it up. 2 years/$3 million, maybe. He'd be almost 39 at the end of another 2-year contract. A good time to cap off a very distinguished career.

swflyers8* 03-21-2006 05:18 PM

I don't see Stevenson back, too many injuries. I can see Nedved coming back and Gauthier. Doesn't he need to be signed? I like Rico but I don't see him back. Too many injuries.

TheKingPin 03-21-2006 05:59 PM

I say keep Rico, Nedved, Gautier, Gange, nitty. We have one more year with Foppa got to go big in the FA market.

We have to prepair. What is happening to us with the Eagles( everyone in the divsion is getting stronger) is going to happen to the Flyers. The pens have a great core in Fluery, Crosby, and Malkin. Its only a matter of time till they figure out they need D. And with Redden and Chara out there they might get a quick fix.

The Rangers will try and go big with thier sucess.

The Devils will have a new stadium in trenton and more attendence meaning more money for Lou. Imagine a team like our with Marty in back...that would SUCK.

We need to make a strong push next year. I say get Sakic...(or is he long term?)

c3po 03-22-2006 10:02 AM

I think Stevenson, Nedved, Brashear, Savage will not return. Just geting rid of these guys opens up a little over 5 million dollars. They could than use it to resign Gagne,Johnsson,Pitkanen, Desjardins. If the cap goes up they should have some spending money.

Meyer .5 m
Forsberg 5.75 m
Knuble 1.52 m
Handzus 2.13 m
Carter .942 m
Richards .942 m
Kapanen 1.52 m
Umberger .900 m
Dimitrakos . 625 m
Hatcher 3.5 m
Rathje 3.5 m
Esche 1 m
With just these guys they're up to 22.8 million.

What do you pay these guys?
Johnsson 3.5 m
Gagne 4.5 m
Pitkanen 2.5 m
Radivoievic .9 m
Nittymaki 1 m
Desjardins 1.5 m
Gauthier 2.5 m

16.4 m this would take them to about 39.5 million without Stevenson, Nedved, Brashear, Savage. If the cap went to 46 million it would leave room to bring in Primeau and add a couple more skilled players. Primeau make 3.42 m which would take them to 42.92 million.

The lines would look something like this.

Gagne Forsberg Knuble
Kapanen Primeau Carter
Umberger Handzus Radivoievic
Dimitrakos Richards ?

Hatcher Rathje
Desjardins Johnsson
Pitkanen Gauthier

This could leave 3 million to add another player or 2. With the salary cap the way it is now a team can get a valuable player for 3 million. Maybe Clarke will bring back Nedved but, I can't see it not with a big market like this coming up he's going to want some money to play with. Maybe Meyer will become the number 6 man, which would than open up more money if you didn't have to resign Gauthier or Desjardins.

capn89* 03-22-2006 10:19 AM

I certainly hope that Gauthier is around for a LONG time. Man I love watching him play. Gotta love big hitters. Just my two cents though.

John Flyers Fan 03-22-2006 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyersphan
I say keep Rico, Nedved, Gautier, Gange, nitty. We have one more year with Foppa got to go big in the FA market.

We have to prepair. What is happening to us with the Eagles( everyone in the divsion is getting stronger) is going to happen to the Flyers. The pens have a great core in Fluery, Crosby, and Malkin. Its only a matter of time till they figure out they need D. And with Redden and Chara out there they might get a quick fix.

The Rangers will try and go big with thier sucess.

The Devils will have a new stadium in trenton and more attendence meaning more money for Lou. Imagine a team like our with Marty in back...that would SUCK.

We need to make a strong push next year. I say get Sakic...(or is he long term?)

We much better positioned for the future than either the Rangers or the Devils. If you're worrying about the future, think Pittsburgh ... if they get new ownership and a new GM.

Roger's Pancreas* 03-22-2006 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capn89
I certainly hope that Gauthier is around for a LONG time. Man I love watching him play. Gotta love big hitters. Just my two cents though.

I like him so far, but thing is if Gauthier is kept around then Brash should be too.

capn89* 03-22-2006 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
I like him so far, but thing is if Gauthier is kept around then Brash should be too.

If the SoB plays as well as he did last night against the Devils I wouldn't mind having him around... as long as he took a pay cut.