HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   A look at Supposedly 8 of our top 10 offensive forwards.. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=233567)

KOVALEV10* 03-21-2006 11:20 PM

A look at Supposedly 8 of our top 10 offensive forwards..

Here's a look at 8 of our top 10 offensive forwards. (only omissions are obviously Kovy and Ribs who despite getting consistently bashed has consistently been putting points on the board. Ranked based on recent point per games which I have putin parantheses.

Ryder: Last 23 games: 5 goals, 6 assists, 11 points (if you dont count the hat trick game he's got only 2) (0.48)

Koivu: Last 19 games: 0 goals, 9 assists, 9 points (0.47)

Plekanec: Last 20 games: 2 goals, 6 assists, 8 points (0.40)

Bulis: Last 19 games: 4 goals, 2 assists, 6 points (0.31)

Bonk: 48 games: 2 goals, 13 assists, 15 points (0.31)

Zednik: Last 30 games: 3 goals, 6 assists, 6 points (0.20)

Higgins: Last 7 games: 0 goals, 1 assist, 1 point (0.14)

Perezhogin: Last 26 games: 2 goals, 1 assists, 3 points (0.11)

Pathetic actually! :shakehead

Traitor8 03-22-2006 12:18 AM

it isn't a secret that we need some offense..

can Kostitsyn play yet?

Slick Nick 03-22-2006 12:32 AM

the players are ok, the lines are a mess.

Perezhogin-Koivu-Kovalev
Ryder-Ribeiro-Higgins
Bulis-Plekanec-Zednik
Bonk-Bégin-Murray

Munchausen 03-22-2006 12:42 AM

Come on, are you really expecting rookies like Perezhogin, Plekanec and Higgins to consistently put points on the board? Give them time, they're at their first NHL season. Let them mature into NHLers before lynching them for a lack of production.

This team's forward group is young and inexperienced. At the begining of the year everybody wanted to play the younsters. Now that we've made them a full time roster spot we're not happy because they're not producing? Can't have it both ways.

I find the only real disapointments up front this season have been Ryder, who might have the sophomore slump excuse, and Zednik, who's been fighting a nagging injury. Add Bonk if you want, but he's no key part of our offense.

We're right where we should be offensively, considering we play a defensive style of game to boot. We could probably get a bit more out of Koivu, but he's not going to win them all by himself and he's playing with a struggling Ryder and a rookie.

We have to win our games 2-1 or 3-2, because we simply don't have the firepower. It'll come in a couple years. Now, we can only hope for stellar defensive team play and a few lucky bounces. That's our team, deal with it.

Habsurd 03-22-2006 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slick Nick
the players are ok, the lines are a mess.

Perezhogin-Koivu-Kovalev
Ryder-Ribeiro-Higgins
Bulis-Plekanec-Zednik
Bonk-Bégin-Murray

I'm not sure of the lines tonight, but I think its Very clear that the players ARE the prob. No matter what the lines are, the offense is getting zero done. This weakness has been evident since Nov.

The 1st year players can be excused but the rest, incld'g Kov and Koivu (whom I love...not literally!) are simply not creating much of anything.....period. There in lies the prob, plain and simple. To the surprise of many around here....the Habs aren't that good yet. We must still wait a year or two....unless BG actually signs some grade A fa's this summer.

Des Louise 03-22-2006 12:50 AM

We're missing Markov...

BeginPower 03-22-2006 01:16 AM

Am I the only one who would like to see a KKK connection :

Kostitsyn-Koivu-Kovalev

Slick Nick 03-22-2006 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsurd
I'm not sure of the lines tonight, but I think its Very clear that the players ARE the prob. No matter what the lines are, the offense is getting zero done. This weakness has been evident since Nov.

The 1st year players can be excused but the rest, incld'g Kov and Koivu (whom I love...not literally!) are simply not creating much of anything.....period. There in lies the prob, plain and simple. To the surprise of many around here....the Habs aren't that good yet. We must still wait a year or two....unless BG actually signs some grade A fa's this summer.

The lines have been a mess since November.

Habsurd 03-22-2006 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crosbyfan87
Am I the only one who would like to see a KKK connection :

Kostitsyn-Koivu-Kovalev

Yeah, but next year. Play off race is too tight and Kost is too inexperienced right now.
I'd still like to see Perez w K and K again; they looked good to me in Oct and Nov. Got nothing to lose right now bec nothings working lately.

mclusky* 03-22-2006 01:42 AM

We have offensive forwards?

HabuseMoi 03-22-2006 02:02 AM

Come on stop saying that the kids aren't experienced enough, the players we have currently suck "tennis" balls :help:

they're just NOT producing... so it doesn't really matter if we switch one of them for Kost. (if he is no longer injured).

Rather Gingerly 1* 03-22-2006 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KOVALEV10
Here's a look at 8 of our top 10 offensive forwards. (only omissions are obviously Kovy and Ribs who despite getting consistently bashed has consistently been putting points on the board. Ranked based on recent point per games which I have putin parantheses.

Ryder: Last 23 games: 5 goals, 6 assists, 11 points (if you dont count the hat trick game he's got only 2) (0.48)

We need to get stronger down the middle

RC51 03-22-2006 06:04 AM

Quote:

The two key players that are not scoring is Ryder and Zednik.
They have been setup and CAN'T score.

The Habs don't have a huge offence to start with so when your top finishers don't finish the entire line gets no points.

Add Koivu in a slump and thier you have it.

Nihilism 03-22-2006 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Komisarek8
can Kostitsyn play yet?

Now that they're out of a playoff spot and have a make-or-break series coming up, they have to spark the offense.

Call up AK47, and I'd even go as far as calling up Chipchura. Let Bonkhead and some of the other floaters sit.

22SteveBegin22 03-22-2006 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rather Gingerly 1
We need to get stronger down the middle

And at the wings, and on D. Other than that, as long as Huet holds up, we'd be a decent team.

oli500 03-22-2006 10:27 AM

Were also one of the only teams in the league that dosent have a 30 goal scorer. How were stil in a playoff race with pretty much are hole team struglin all never now.

Tuggy 03-22-2006 10:31 AM

Stats! Stats! Stats! It's all about STATS!

*yawn*

Traitor8 03-22-2006 12:43 PM

If I was the coach, I would go with this lineup (assuming Kostitsyn can play):

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev
Ryder-Ribeiro-Kostitsyn
Higgins-Plekanec-Perezhogin
Begin-Bonk-Bulis

StanleyCH25 03-22-2006 02:20 PM

Quote:

I really can't take the data you present seriously since you aren't comparing production for each player in the same context. If you wanted to be fair, you would have shown how all those players have produced within the same number of games. When you intentionally include more games for some who have struggled earlier but have gotten back in a groove recently or intentionally take fewer games for players who were producing earlier but have suddenly stopped really doesn't give the right picture.

If we look at the last 10 games (pretty much the month of March):

Ryder: 1 goal and 5 assists for 6 points
Koivu: 0 goals and 4 assists for 4 points
Plekanek: 1 goal and 1 assist for 2 points
Bulis: 2 goals and 2 assists for 4 points
Bonk: 0 goals and 1 assist for 1 point
Zednik: 2 goals and 3 assists for 5 points
Higgins: 4 goals and 1 assist for 5 points
Perezhogin: 1 goal and 1 assist for 2 points

So based on the last 10 games, Perezhogin, Bonk and Plekanek haven't contributed much but then again 2 play on the 4th line and one is on the 3rd line. Zednik, Ryder and Higgins have given us 5 pts while Koivu has given 4 which isn't great but isn't awful either but they could all step it up a little. Bulis has given us 4 points which is pretty decent considering the role he plays.

So the team, as a whole, needs to step it up a little but mainly, we need to get more production out of the top line which I think everyone would agree is the main issue we've been having lately: A lack of production from our top line.

That line has been really struggling as far as I'm concerned as Ryder just isn't getting some of his shots to go in. He's taken 37 shots in those 10 games and only 1 of them has gone in.

5 man unit 03-22-2006 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oli500
Were also one of the only teams in the league that dosent have a 30 goal scorer. How were stil in a playoff race with pretty much are hole team struglin all never now.

There are 11 other teams without a 30 gooal scorer, and 3 currently hold down a playoff spot.

Buffalo is even a 4th seed.

pepperMonkey 03-22-2006 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 201127
There are 11 other teams without a 30 gooal scorer, and 3 currently hold down a playoff spot.

Buffalo is even a 4th seed.

Unfortunately, minus Ryder, they also have 6 players with more goals than any hab, with 4 in the 20+ range compared to our 1 (Ryder)

Anksun 03-22-2006 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munchausen
Come on, are you really expecting rookies like Perezhogin, Plekanec and Higgins to consistently put points on the board? Give them time, they're at their first NHL season. Let them mature into NHLers before lynching them for a lack of production.

This team's forward group is young and inexperienced. At the begining of the year everybody wanted to play the younsters. Now that we've made them a full time roster spot we're not happy because they're not producing? Can't have it both ways.

I find the only real disapointments up front this season have been Ryder, who might have the sophomore slump excuse, and Zednik, who's been fighting a nagging injury. Add Bonk if you want, but he's no key part of our offense.

We're right where we should be offensively, considering we play a defensive style of game to boot. We could probably get a bit more out of Koivu, but he's not going to win them all by himself and he's playing with a struggling Ryder and a rookie.

We have to win our games 2-1 or 3-2, because we simply don't have the firepower. It'll come in a couple years. Now, we can only hope for stellar defensive team play and a few lucky bounces. That's our team, deal with it.

I usually agree at 100% with your comments. I think you could be a bit more harsh on Koivu right now however. While it's true he's playing with a rookie and a stuggling Ryder, he has no goal in 19 games... And 9 assists.

Is this really "we could Probably get A BIT more out of Koivu" ??????

Gainey was himself harsh on Koivu after last night, he said on Rds they needs to see Koivu playing like he had in the last 10 minutes, with passion and intensity, something that is LACKING in his game for the past month...

I cant say i disagree honestly, he's just not working that hard right now. And he's supposed to be a MUCH bigger part of our offense, especially considering it's one of the less goal scoring teams in the entire nhl.

Habsaku 03-22-2006 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anksun
I usually agree at 100% with your comments. I think you could be a bit more harsh on Koivu right now however. While it's true he's playing with a rookie and a stuggling Ryder, he has no goal in 19 games... And 9 assists.

Is this really "we could Probably get A BIT more out of Koivu" ??????

Gainey was himself harsh on Koivu after last night, he said on Rds they needs to see Koivu playing like he had in the last 10 minutes, with passion and intensity, something that is LACKING in his game for the past month...

I cant say i disagree honestly, he's just not working that hard right now. And he's supposed to be a MUCH bigger part of our offense, especially considering it's one of the less goal scoring teams in the entire nhl.

We could use a lot more from Koivu. This is the worst we've seen from him in, well, forever. Normally, he creates chances every shift but since his groin injury he's been a guy who simply hasnt gotten the chances he can get. In 2003-2004, we used to rely on Ribeiro and Ryder to get points regularly and Koivu could pitch in with Zednik. Right now, we're relying too much on one player to get hot and goals from the defense. The offense has got to get it going and fast.

5 man unit 03-22-2006 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepperMonkey
Unfortunately, minus Ryder, they also have 6 players with more goals than any hab, with 4 in the 20+ range compared to our 1 (Ryder)

That wasn't the point. I was just trying to point out that throwing around stats that are just plain wrong, only confuses the situation.

Anksun 03-22-2006 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsaku
We could use a lot more from Koivu. This is the worst we've seen from him in, well, forever. Normally, he creates chances every shift but since his groin injury he's been a guy who simply hasnt gotten the chances he can get. In 2003-2004, we used to rely on Ribeiro and Ryder to get points regularly and Koivu could pitch in with Zednik. Right now, we're relying too much on one player to get hot and goals from the defense. The offense has got to get it going and fast.

I agree. Koivu is not alone in this MAJOR offensive slump, that's for sure. It's just that it's kind of a normal thing to hope a guy that has been know to put 70+ points a season can give us some of that when we really needs it.

Ryder will get back on track. I wish it would be right now but we tend to forget both him and Ribeiro are only on their "true" 2nd year. Sophomore years arent usually the greatest in most players cases and still... Ribeiro is pretty decent after his bad start and Ryder will still ends up with about 30 goals.