HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Nedved: defensive center? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=233972)

Dr Love 03-23-2006 06:42 AM

Nedved: defensive center?

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/14165497.htm

Quote:

While coach Ken Hitchcock says having a defensive center is not necessarily a luxury in the "new" NHL, it appears that Hitchcock has stumbled on something he did not expect when Nedved joined the team in a deal that sent Dennis Seidenberg to Phoenix in January.

"We had two five-on-threes to kill, I put him out and he did a great job," Hitchcock said. "That's when I figured out that when he has to play this way he can do it. So if we're talking about winning hockey games, lets get him in that role."
Well, you never know until you try. And he's not getting it done offensively, so if he can contribute defensively, then all the better.

John Flyers Fan 03-23-2006 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Love
http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/14165497.htm

Well, you never know until you try. And he's not getting it done offensively, so if he can contribute defensively, then all the better.

He'll never be great defensively, but his ability to win face-offs is extremely important in the defensive zone.

Banger 03-23-2006 07:42 AM

I think Nedved has fit in pretty well aside from a number of soft penalties early on. He's been taking a ton of faceoffs and been effective (totally unexpected), has been good in the defensive zone, is an effective PP/PK player, can put the puck in the net and is also a good playmaker. Overall, he's been an absolute steal for Seids. Another good move by Clarke.

Dr Love 03-23-2006 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banger
I think Nedved has fit in pretty well aside from a number of soft penalties early on. He's been taking a ton of faceoffs and been effective (totally unexpected), has been good in the defensive zone, is an effective PP/PK player, can put the puck in the net and is also a good playmaker. Overall, he's been an absolute steal for Seids. Another good move by Clarke.

I wouldn't say he has been a steal, he's not producing offensively, only 9 points in 20 games and is a next to team worst -9 (Brian Savage is -17. Ugh.) I'm not even sure if I would qualify him as a nice pickup, he's contributing more than Seidenberg would have playing only a handful of games a month, but that's damning with faint praise. He has been good on faceoffs, which is huge for this team, but I'm anything but enamored with him.

bennysflyers16 03-23-2006 08:52 AM

I thought he played awesome yesterday.

malfeasance 03-23-2006 09:02 AM

First of all, I have never been a Nedved fan.

But I came away from the Panthers game very impressed. He broke up 6 or 7 plays by himself and he was one of the better offensive players on the ice that night.

A defensive force? Nah. But very, very solid so far. I hope it keeps up.

FlyersFanJS 03-23-2006 11:37 AM

i never like nedved and hated the trade that brought him here (mostly for salary reasons), but he has really impressed me...i think he is a very pleasant surprise

BobbyClarkeFan16 03-23-2006 02:48 PM

That's funny. We brought Nedved in here to help with the offense, but he's playing defense. Only in Philadelphia folks, only in Philadelphia.

Jester 03-23-2006 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
That's funny. We brought Nedved in here to help with the offense, but he's playing defense. Only in Philadelphia folks, only in Philadelphia.

i think it had more to do with the injury to Handzus than anything else... isn't as if he isn't seeing lots of PP time and whatnot. i would expect him to get some offense going if he's playing with Zeus and whomever on the wing.

BobbyClarkeFan16 03-23-2006 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester
i think it had more to do with the injury to Handzus than anything else... isn't as if he isn't seeing lots of PP time and whatnot. i would expect him to get some offense going if he's playing with Zeus and whomever on the wing.

I don't know man. I just don't hold out much hope for our secondary scoring on the team. When you consider that our three best secondary scorers are the kids, and they aren't getting that many minutes a night, I'm just not convinced that Nedved can do the job defensively. As well, I'm not sure the kids will get more ice time in the playoffs than what they're currently getting. I've got a funny feeling that if Hitch gives Umberger/Carter/Richards the ice time that he gives Nedved and Handzus, they're gonna take the ball and really run with it. They don't seem to be fazed by the lack of experience factor. That's huge.

With regards to the only in Philadelphia comment, seems that every offensive forward we've ever traded for (Primeau, Comrie, Nedved) have all been put at one point or another into a defensive role and their offensive roles were diminished.

Jester 03-23-2006 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
With regards to the only in Philadelphia comment, seems that every offensive forward we've ever traded for (Primeau, Comrie, Nedved) have all been put at one point or another into a defensive role and their offensive roles were diminished.

it's a bit of a misnomer... all they're really talking about here is that he's getting PK duty. the best defense is keeping the puck in the other zone, if you're getting the puck there... you're going to score some. it isn't as if you tell the player not to play in the other teams end or anything... the role that changes is that you put a player on the other teams best player and say, "score as much as you can, but keep them off the board."

Primeau was also going to get a Conn Smythe and scoring from a "defensive" role in the last playoffs... if you can score, you score... everyone should be playing defense anyway.

Richards deserves, and gets, more ice time than Carter/Umberger because he's a safer player as of right now. Carter still has a tendancy to make a poor turnover with some regularity which makes me nervous. the goals are nice, but i get a bit twitchy when he's out there late in games.

Gert B Frobe 03-23-2006 03:52 PM

I never liked him either but always appreciated his skill level. Seems like his effort is really good lately - that's always been the knock on him - lazy, etc. Anyway he has played extremely well since the Olympic break IMO.

A Flock Of Seguins 03-23-2006 06:27 PM

I've been really happy with Nedved and seriously surprised. I thought it was a really questionable pickup (though potentially a cheap one), but not only had Nedved looked pretty responsible defensively and great at faceoffs, and I think with proper finishers on his wing he'd be a better threat. He seems to actually be making an effort and playing with passion which, as everyone's already said, was the main criticism. I still think we should have looked for a scoring second-line winger, even one off waivers...

The last two games he's looked great! It's a shame that line can't prolifically score, but it's looking solid.

steinie77 03-23-2006 09:01 PM

Anyone else besides me think this is a sign that Nedved wants to prove something and win? He has fit in on the Flyers and has fulfilled a role wherever Hitch has put him. The guy still can get it done, play wing, center, win faceoffs, create on the powerplay, and set up other guys and he has played on multiple lines due to injuries. For the playoffs, however, the lineup will be more consistent, without additional injuries:

Gagne - Forsberg - Knuble
Handzus - Nedved - Kapanen
Umberger - Carter - Dimitrakos
Savage - Richards - Stevenson/Brashear/Radio

Gags1288 03-23-2006 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steinie77
Anyone else besides me think this is a sign that Nedved wants to prove something and win? He has fit in on the Flyers and has fulfilled a role wherever Hitch has put him. The guy still can get it done, play wing, center, win faceoffs, create on the powerplay, and set up other guys and he has played on multiple lines due to injuries. For the playoffs, however, the lineup will be more consistent, without additional injuries:

Gagne - Forsberg - Knuble
Handzus - Nedved - Kapanen
Umberger - Carter - Dimitrakos
Savage - Richards - Stevenson/Brashear/Radio

I was thinking I'd like to see something like that, but Hitch is trying to keep the lines a bit more balanced and I don't see them deviating from what we've seen the last few games. I think Hitch wants to give Richards someone to play with who has some skill, which is why we've seen Kapanen on his line. I'd prefer Radio in the lineup over Savage, but I doubt we'll see that either. I think you'll see the same lineup we have been seeing recently and I guess i'm ok with it given the recent results:

Gagne-Forsberg-Knuble
Umberger-Carter-Dimitrakos
Handzus-Nedved-Savage
Brashear-Richards-Kapanen

Man, Primeau would look really nice in that lineup, say in place of Savage.

Pantokrator 03-23-2006 10:37 PM

I was not too keen on the deal at the time for contract reasons, but I have been pleasantly surprised. He has been better than I had thought he would be.

NJFlyer42 03-24-2006 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malfeasance
First of all, I have never been a Nedved fan.

But I came away from the Panthers game very impressed. He broke up 6 or 7 plays by himself and he was one of the better offensive players on the ice that night.

A defensive force? Nah. But very, very solid so far. I hope it keeps up.

I agree. When they traded for him my reaction was a big yawn. And then his first several games, although he got some points, he was still pretty unimpressive to me. Lately though, he's been winning me over. He's hitting a little, playing pretty good D, and has made some really nice passes and other plays.

dedalus 03-25-2006 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
He'll never be great defensively, but his ability to win face-offs is extremely important in the defensive zone.

He also still has a quick first step, and that's very useful in PK.

HoverCarle* 03-25-2006 11:13 AM

hes good out there on the 5-4 cause hes fast and has good stickwork. but i doubt hitch would use him on the 5-3. just too risky.