HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Roy and Montreal (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=23432)

Mack 10-27-2003 10:31 PM

Roy and Montreal

you hear any rumblings on wether they are going to retire his number?

i think they should with the Avs doing it tonight.
its also the poll on tsn.ca right now.

Playr050 10-27-2003 10:40 PM

Robinson first.

KOMO_ROCKS 10-27-2003 10:51 PM

I dont know if the habs will retire Roy's number....his 2 cups in Montreal (86, 93 conn smythe winner both years) definately will make it interesting.....I predict yes

MVP 10-27-2003 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KOMO_ROCKS
I dont know if the habs will retire Roy's number....his 2 cups in Montreal (86, 93 conn smythe winner both years) definately will make it interesting.....I predict yes

i predict yes too, i mean the 93 playoff performance was too much to ignore.

KOMO_ROCKS 10-27-2003 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVP

especially the 10 straight overtime wins :yo:

CHareth 10-27-2003 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVP

So was the 86 performance. I think it was in the series against the Rangers where there was this mad scramble in front of the net and Bob Cole was screaming, "I don't know how he's keep them out .... BUT HE IS!!" Going to the finals in 89 wasn't too shabby either.

So what the hell - I'll vote "yes" on this thing, although I think he should wait in line behind Big Bird.

Darz 10-28-2003 04:27 AM

First off, Robinson needs his jersey retired before anybody else. I mean cmon give 'The Bird' his due. No one has worn 19 since, so what are the habs waiting for.

On the subject of Roy, I think there are two reasons we may never see his number retired by the habs.
a) the way he left Montreal. The whole mess with management might make it tough for the habs to retire his number. Time heals all wounds, but alot of those wounds leave scars that never go away.
b) he only played 10 1/2 seasons in Montreal. In any other city there isn't a doubt in my mind his number would be reitred, but in Montreal there seems to be a higher standard needed to attain to get such an honour. I mean what other NHL team would yet to retire Larry Robinson's # if he played there instead of Montreal. I think every other team in the league would of retired Shutt's, Cournoyer's, Boom Boom's along with many others #'s, but NOT in Montreal. So does Roy meet the higher standard Montreal has set? I would imagine IF Roy has his number retired it won't be for many years.

LPHabsFan 10-28-2003 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darz
First off, Robinson needs his jersey retired before anybody else. I mean cmon give 'The Bird' his due. No one has worn 19 since, so what are the habs waiting for.

On the subject of Roy, I think there are two reasons we may never see his number retired by the habs.
a) the way he left Montreal. The whole mess with management might make it tough for the habs to retire his number. Time heals all wounds, but alot of those wounds leave scars that never go away.
b) he only played 10 1/2 seasons in Montreal. In any other city there isn't a doubt in my mind his number would be reitred, but in Montreal there seems to be a higher standard needed to attain to get such an honour. I mean what other NHL team would yet to retire Larry Robinson's # if he played there instead of Montreal. I think every other team in the league would of retired Shutt's, Cournoyer's, Boom Boom's along with many others #'s, but NOT in Montreal. So does Roy meet the higher standard Montreal has set? I would imagine IF Roy has his number retired it won't be for many years.

Ya. Is this a will they retire Roy's jersey somehwere down the line or should they retire his number like now?

Beatnik 10-28-2003 07:14 AM

They can't retire his number soon but someday they will for sure.

I also hope Robinson and Cournoyer will have their # retired before him.

Habsfunk 10-28-2003 07:23 AM

#12 should be retired for Dickie Moore, Yvan Cournoyer and Mike Keane.
Larry Robinson should have his number retired as well.

After those two are taken care they can retire #33.

montreal 10-28-2003 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Playr050
Robinson first.

For sure. But I think they should retire Roy's at some point. I'll never forget being a young kid in the mid-late 80's watching Roy just do some unreal stuff in net. The '93 playoffs also come to mind.

Rand 10-28-2003 07:50 AM

He was in my mind the biggest reason Montreal took the cup in 86' and 93'.
He's the finest goaltender that has ever worn a Habs jersey... and with such a storied history as Montreal's that is saying a lot.

A good 10 years as their #1 goaltender, and for most of that being regarded as clearly the best in the NHL.

The manner in which he left wasn't pretty, but they still should retire his number regardless.

Patrick Roy=The finest goaltender in NHL history.

Patty Roy 10-28-2003 05:15 PM

Well it may take some time...certainly there are a few numbers that should be retired before Roy's, but i think (hope) it will eventually happen.

At any rate, i would say that #33 is pretty much unofficially retired in Montreal. I highly doubt we will be seeing anyone else wear that number.

deandebean 10-28-2003 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darz

Roy's jersey will be retired no question.

Patrick was a pioneer in the hockey world. His style of play has been modeled by hundreds, if not thousands of goalies since. His presence has brought back the pride in goaltending at the minor league level. Before him, kids in the nets were the most awful skaters, most awful forwards in hockey. NO ONE wanted the job. Then, Patrick came. Since then, it has been incredible.

In this province, his influence on hockey has been as great as that of Rocket Richard. My kid plays at the novice level and you cannot believe the quality of goaltending and teaching there is. The best hockey players coming from this province are now between the pipes. Dryden had NO influence at all. He was good, no question. I've seen him play. I was a goalie and he was my model. But Roy changed everything. His performance against the Rangers in 1986 has been unmatched ANYFREAKINGWHERE. Those who had the privilege of watching that game can attest to the incredible performance he gave. I had shivers, I recall.

Roy is and will always be a Canadien. No matter what. The Avalanche is an anomaly. It's a team with no tradition. That will probably disappear in smokes when this crop of excellent players give way to some basement-quality others.

Corey 10-28-2003 06:49 PM

... and Serge Savard's #18.

deandebean 10-28-2003 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey
... and Serge Savard's #18.

Serge Savard? Are you kidding me? A solid defenceman, he's NOT material for a number retirement ceremony. Robinson and Roy. That's about it.

Hab-a-maniac 10-28-2003 08:11 PM

That's about right. Gainey played a long time as captain and all, but is not really in the same class as Maurice Richard, Beliveau, Lafleur and Doug Harvey, etc. I think Robinson, because he's one of the top 10 defensemen EVER and Roy because he's one of the best goalies EVER and no matter how he walked out, he did so much for the franchise that it would be a shame to see them ignore retiring his number. Look at the heroes that carry the mantle: Morenz, five years after his death came the Rocket, passed on to Beliveau, right away came Lafleur then a year and a half after his retirement came Roy to be the guiding superstar. Now who did Patrick pass the torch to? Saku? No offense, but if that's our current franchise figurehead then this franchise really has gone into the gutter (at least for the last 8 years and it started before then; 1979 was the last hint of dynasty, 1993 the last taste of championship class and then 1995 saw Patrick take the franchise's respectability away. The next 3 years were decent but starting in 1999, it's become an emberassment. It needs to change and I'm optimistic it can but let's not ignore Roy's credit. Larry's the only member of the all-Hab team to not have his number retired (well, except Dickie Moore but he was on the team for 9 years that weren't as legendary as other Habs). Dryden played just 8 seasons on a high-calibre season so no, Cournoyer was great but was he really a legend among legends in habs lore? Same goes for guys like Savard (at first he had potential to be truly special but his knee injuries limited him to solid stay at home d-man), Shutt (garbage goal scorer over 10 seasons with the Habs not of great enough stature), Lemaire (tough one but he only cracked the top 10 scoring twice I think) and Geffrion (that's a real tough one, maybe he should be based on that 50 goal campaigne?). Only the best of the best get in. And Patrick is definitely one of the best players to don the CH. His efforts are solely responsible for 2 cups. He was the only Hab to ever win 2 conn smythe trophies too.

Chehabi 10-29-2003 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsfunk
#12 should be retired for Dickie Moore, Yvan Cournoyer and Mike Keane.
Larry Robinson should have his number retired as well.

After those two are taken care they can retire #33.

Mike Keane? HAHA. His name would not look very good up on the rafters next to the other names.