HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   GDT: Nashville @ Los Angeles 3/25 10:30 EST (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=234639)

JussiM 03-25-2006 07:33 AM

GDT: Nashville @ Los Angeles 3/25 10:30 EST

GAME: :nashville (42-20-8) at :kings (37-28-5).

TIME: Saturday, 10:30 p.m. EST.

STANDINGS: Predators - 92 points, 2nd place, 10 PB, Central Division. Kings - 79 points, 3rd place, 18 PB, Pacific Division.

TEAM LEADERS: Predators - Sullivan, 31 goals; Paul Kariya, 45 assists and 70 points; Brendan Witt, 166 PIM. Kings - Parrish, 25 goals; Lubomir Visnovsky, 44 assists and 61 points; Sean Avery, 236 PIM.

SPECIAL TEAMS: Predators - Power play: 18.6 percent (80 for 429), 9th (tied) in NHL. Penalty killing: 84.3 percent (381 for 452), 6th. Kings - Power play: 14.7 percent (68 for 464), 27th. Penalty killing: 78.8 percent (334 for 424), 27th.

GOALTENDERS: Predators - Vokoun (35-15-7, 4 SO, 2.59 GAA); Chris Mason (6-4-1, 0, 3.12). Kings - Garon (28-20-3, 2, 3.13); Jason LaBarbera (9-8-2, 0, 3.22).

SEASON SERIES: Predators, 2-1.

LAST MEETING: Nov. 24; Predators, 4-3. At Nashville, Tenn., the Predators scored four goals in the first two periods and survived a three-goal rally by the Kings as Vokoun made 35 saves.

ROAD/HOME RECORDS: Predators - 15-14-7 on the road; Kings - 22-12-1 at home.

handtrick 03-25-2006 09:27 AM

I am looking for Hordichuk to be out for Avery and Avery to be turtling.....in fact I have a avitar bet with kingpest19 since the last Preds/Kings game. I bet that there will be no fight between them, and kingpest19 bet that Avery would answer the bell.

I think, as avitar bets go, this is a pretty safe one for me.. :biglaugh:

barrytrotzsneck 03-25-2006 10:31 AM

hopefully this takes the bad taste out of our collective mouths.

Legwand, Eaton, Walker and possibly Perreault all back tonight.

I say why not? You just played one of your worst games of the year while being careful not to upset chemistry. Clearly, it's already upset, so throw it out the window and take a shot.

johnjm22 03-25-2006 11:20 AM

Considering what has happened between these two teams this year, I'm expecting a great game tonight.

Who will start tonight for the Preds? I only ask because this is a back-to-back situation for you guys and I noticed Vokoun started last night.

Bad Karma 03-25-2006 11:49 AM

Vokoun should start tonight back to back won't hurt him.

barrytrotzsneck 03-25-2006 09:47 PM

Silly from Upshall on the PP makes it 1-0

barrytrotzsneck 03-25-2006 09:51 PM

interesting that none of the people Trotz said would play tonight(Eaton, Walker, Perreault, Legwand, Fiddler) are in the lineup. Not one.

We're getting hemmed in our zone again, big time.

barrytrotzsneck 03-25-2006 09:56 PM

Sean "you don't know how valuable he is because he doesn't play for your team" Avery to the box, once more. Maybe we'll cash in again.

Come to think about it, I DO know how valuable he is because he DOESN'T play for our team.

barrytrotzsneck 03-25-2006 10:37 PM

Sillinger with a beautiful fake to set up an easy goal for Kariya.

Honestly, this has been a brutally boring game so far, and I think we've played pretty poorly, despite being up based on some opportunism and a power play goal. Even strength, we're just chipping the puck out over and over and resetting the defense. Not really acceptable when you're playing a team that's reeling the way the Kings are.

Joe T Choker 03-25-2006 10:52 PM

BOOM

Sit down Roenick!

DRReclusive 03-25-2006 10:55 PM

Hey guys, I'm not able to watch the game tonight, but I noticed that Zids is not playing right now. What happened?

Joe T Choker 03-25-2006 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRReclusive
Hey guys, I'm not able to watch the game tonight, but I noticed that Zids is not playing right now. What happened?

He got boarded by Avery

Nitrous Mafia 03-25-2006 10:56 PM

:clap:

barrytrotzsneck 03-25-2006 10:59 PM

what happened to our PK in the last week? it's losing games for us.

Nitrous Mafia 03-25-2006 11:00 PM

Another One?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!!

GGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

DRReclusive 03-25-2006 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamus O' Toole
He got boarded by Avery

Was he able to get off the ice on his own strength?

Pred303 03-25-2006 11:23 PM

ack...what a painful period to watch... physically painful to see our pk on the ice right now for some reason.. these guy's powerplay is about the worst in the league and we're making them look like the 83 oilers

creative giant* 03-25-2006 11:43 PM

Go Preds GO!

Nitrous Mafia 03-25-2006 11:53 PM

Damn, I am pissed.

Those last two goals by LA were so gay.

barrytrotzsneck 03-26-2006 12:01 AM

We had no business stealing a point in that game. If you don't show up to play, you don't deserve a point.

One wonders why the same lineup that got embarassed last night was out again tonight, and duly embarassed all over again with one of the worst collapses in team history.

Predonater 03-26-2006 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomorekids
We had no business stealing a point in that game. If you don't show up to play, you don't deserve a point.

One wonders why the same lineup that got embarassed last night was out again tonight, and duly embarassed all over again with one of the worst collapses in team history.

That is where it falls on the coach's back NMK. It was his responsibility to notice it "didn't work the first time". He didn't and it screwed with the chemistry.

golfmade 03-26-2006 12:13 AM

Jesus christ what an ugly loss, oh wait, i'm thinking of last night, or wait, i'm also thinking of tonight... :amazed:

But hey, maybe this will work out, we slide into the playoffs as total underdogs losing so many of our final games going into the playoffs and then we magically turn everything around come game one... right... RIGHT???

Predonater 03-26-2006 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfmade
Jesus christ what an ugly loss, oh wait, i'm thinking of last night, or wait, i'm also thinking of tonight... :amazed:

But hey, maybe this will work out, we slide into the playoffs as total underdogs losing so many of our final games going into the playoffs and then we magically turn everything around come game one... right... RIGHT???

I like it! Wishful thinking.

golfmade 03-26-2006 12:34 AM

And hey, I know now why we lost both these games: I didn't start the GDT's ;)

SmokeyClause 03-26-2006 12:40 AM

This wasn't as bad a loss, in my opinion, as everyone is making it out to be. We started off the superior team and really carried the play, but as the second period started, so did the ticky tack calls, and it forced us to completely change the way we played. Once Hordichuk drew his misconduct, it altered the way the refs viewed the game, and they absolutely hammered us. That completely took us out of our physical game, which would be fine if it also took L.A. out of there game. But for whatever reason, the calls just weren't going our way. When you add the fact that we couldn't play our game (rendering a solid portion of our forwards useless in the process) with having to kill off a few dozen penalties, you have the shot total results. Dead legs on back-to-back nights. Think our early season matchup against Phoenix. That was a very similar game except we had a good goalie that night.

Interestingly enough, this was a game we probably should have won which I think sheds some light on L.A.'s predicament. Had we had an NHL caliber goaltender, we would have probably won 4-3. Sadly, 3 of Vokoun's past four games have been of the terrible variety, and a good goalie would have resulted in wins in both of these games out in So Cal.

This game just was not meant to be. L.A. got a bunch of great bounces, unique plays, and fortuitous officiating on top of a spirited effort. I won't say the refs favored them, just that the penalties often came just at the wrong time for the Preds and helped to squash any momentum we were generating. The pinball goal by Brown, the puck going off Hammer's glove and eventually over to Parrish who rifled it home, Frolov's mediocre wrister that Vokoun couldn't locate, Frolov's love tap into the net, Avery's throw off Vokoun's skate. These are all goals that don't usually happen most nights. At the very least, only one or two happens. But tonight, they all happened. Maybe that's because Vokoun happened, or maybe it was just bad luck. Either way, the bounces weren't there for us.

I was very disappointed by Trotz. I thought he really was harsh on Tootoo and Hordichuk after their penalties yet, suprisingly, couldn't find it in his heart to punish Witt for his penalties and screwups (this guy leaves his skates, way, way, way too much for a big guy). I realize that every time we tried to get physical, we got called for penalties, but when your team is tired, you need fresh legs out there, even if you have to tell Hordi and Tootoo not to get overly physical. Hordi played a grand total of 50 seconds in the last 30 minutes while Toots only played a couple of minutes. Let's see, an Avery boarding leaves you shorthanded on the backend, so let's force ourselves to be shorthanded and basically roll 3 lines on top of that?

Interestingly enough, we only played with 4 defenseman for a lot of the 3rd period. From the 11 minutes to go point and on, Timonen only played a few seconds. During that time, it looked like he double shifted Weber, Hamhuis, Witt and Suter. Trotz basically closed out the game with 13-14 players playing. Not the way you want to close out a difficult back-to-back.

It's one to forget, but I would definitely like to see us play the Kings in the playoffs. This game aside, I think we really match up quite well with them. They struggled when we were able to generate speed, and I think we can push them into problems when we play physical on top of that. For obvious reasons, we weren't able to do that tonight on a consistent basis, but I think ceteris paribus, we match up very well with them.