HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Potulny? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=235097)

Flyer765 03-26-2006 03:10 PM

Potulny?

Is this Potulnys final year at college, and if so is he likely to sign with the Flyers before the end of the year, like Matt Carle at San Jose?

bobbyboucher24 03-26-2006 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fedoruk_#29
Is this Potulnys final year at college?

Think he's just a junior

Lupul* 03-26-2006 09:14 PM

Potulny doesn't intend to finish college though, so he may sign soon.

MojoJojo 03-26-2006 10:09 PM

If he wins the Hobey Baker, I would trade his rights for a good young defenseman. His trade value would be high and we just dont need any more centers.

Pantokrator 03-26-2006 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MojoJojo
If he wins the Hobey Baker, I would trade his rights for a good young defenseman. His trade value would be high and we just dont need any more centers.

WHo do you have in mind? I'd package him to try to get Bowmeester, but I don't know what that would take.

Vikke 03-26-2006 10:38 PM

Quote:

I thought Kessel was his C this season? We need wingers, and if Potulny put up those numbers as a winger, I wouldn't trade him.

MojoJojo 03-26-2006 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vikke
I thought Kessel was his C this season? We need wingers, and if Potulny put up those numbers as a winger, I wouldn't trade him.

I understand he is not even on Kessel's line and he is a center. Then again I have maybe seen two gophers games on TV so I'm not 100%.

And for who I'd like, someone like Seabrook fits the bill though it will take a little more than Potunly to get him.

Roger's Pancreas* 03-26-2006 10:48 PM

Quote:

I understand he is not even on Kessel's line and he is a center. Then again I have maybe seen two gophers games on TV so I'm not 100%.

No you're right, and for the record I'd trade Potulny for some top end talent in a heart beat.

Jester 03-26-2006 11:25 PM

Quote:

nothing says he can't move to wing... however, if that seems unlikely, then yes... move him for either a wing/dman of similar talent level.

Sherlock 03-26-2006 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicto10
Potulny doesn't intend to finish college though, so he may sign soon.

That's about right. Unless something changes, you can just about take it to the bank that he'll sign soon. Everyone in Gopher land is prepared for it, and as I understand it he darn near signed last year.

It's only a matter of time, it seems.

FlyersFanJS 03-26-2006 11:59 PM

i am a bit confused as to potulny's status...is signed with the flyers? drafted but unsigned? does anyone KNOW what his status is more than just speculation?

Ex Storm 03-27-2006 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersFanJS
i am a bit confused as to potulny's status...is signed with the flyers? drafted but unsigned? does anyone KNOW what his status is more than just speculation?

Drafted but unsigned it appears.

FlyersFanJS 03-27-2006 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trippyime
Drafted but unsigned it appears.

that's what i was thinking as well, but i'm not sure

Jester 03-27-2006 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersFanJS

he's in college... so, what do you think?

when a player opts to go into college their rights are witheld until they come out of college, at which point i believe the team has a year to sign them to an entry-level contract.

HoverCarle* 03-27-2006 08:03 AM

im pretty sure hes a Center. cause in an article i was reading it was talking about how hes good at faceoffs too.

MN_Gopher 03-27-2006 08:19 AM

He is a center. Was the first line center, Kessel was second line center. After what happened to the Gophers in the NCAA i could see him coming back for one more year. We were embaressed. Plus he and Dany Irmen are best friends. The wild own Irmens rights. It one goes i see the other going. And if one wants to stay i see them both staying. And the wild are not pushing Irmen to sign. Lastly Potulnys older brother won 2 championships with the gophers. He may seek some cousiling about the AHL vs a tittle. As Grant has not seen the NHL yet.

USA! 03-27-2006 01:35 PM

Ryans coach was on Kfan radio today and said he has a contract on the table from Philly but will he sign is the ?

Jester 03-27-2006 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MN_Gopher
He is a center. Was the first line center, Kessel was second line center. After what happened to the Gophers in the NCAA i could see him coming back for one more year. We were embaressed. Plus he and Dany Irmen are best friends. The wild own Irmens rights. It one goes i see the other going. And if one wants to stay i see them both staying. And the wild are not pushing Irmen to sign. Lastly Potulnys older brother won 2 championships with the gophers. He may seek some cousiling about the AHL vs a tittle. As Grant has not seen the NHL yet.

aka

Making Money vs. Not Making Money

MN_Gopher 03-27-2006 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester
aka

Making Money vs. Not Making Money

Pretty much. But for anyone who has ever won a title at any level. They are sweet. And i would not give mine up, high school, for some loot. It i was going to get it next year anyway.

Jester 03-27-2006 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MN_Gopher
Pretty much. But for anyone who has ever won a title at any level. They are sweet. And i would not give mine up, high school, for some loot. It i was going to get it next year anyway.

that would be a MASSIVE gamble on an NCAA championship given the nature of the tournament... single elimination is a complete crap-shoot. the larger thing he should consider is how likely he is to make the Flyers in the next season... this would largely rest on whether or not he has any interest in moving to the wing, where he might have an outside shot of making the roster if he comes into camp and blows the staff away.

ideally, as a college player, you don't want to waste your entry-level contract in the AHL if you can manage it... so, if he thinks he has a reasonable shot of making the roster, then he absolutely should come out.

his only shot is at the wing though, so it might be a tough deal.