HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Colorado Avalanche (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Charlie Stephens recalled (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=23556)

DarioinDenver 10-28-2003 09:49 AM

Charlie Stephens recalled
 
http://www.coloradoavalanche.com/new...ails.asp?ID=50

Sakic19 10-28-2003 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarioinDenver

The caravan from Hershey just keeps getting longer. If injuries persist, ya gotta think maybe one or two depth deals could happen.

Mack 10-28-2003 10:02 AM

i guess that means Larsen is out for a few games.

avfan#21 10-28-2003 10:06 AM

maybe it means that, that guy on the trade rumours board is right and we just dealt Tanguay to SJ for Nabakov. It would be funny only because then all those guys telling him his credibility was shot would have to eat crow.

Credibility on a trade rumours site.....isn't that an oxymoron?

DarioinDenver 10-28-2003 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mack
i guess that means Larsen is out for a few games.

Yep, another groin injury. His groin injuries have to be considered cronic at this point.

If Granato puts Konowalchuk with the Sakic line again I'm going to throw my remote out my Highlands Ranch window. I would like to see Hinote, or Moore on that line. I think McCormick made some very nice plays against the Sabres and made Brigley look way better than he actually was. This is a total homer opinion on McCormick because I like his game so much, but I would be interested to see if he could offer some playmaking to the second line.

The way I would like to see the lines:

Tangauy-Forsberg-Hejduk
Selanne-Sakic-Hinote
Moore-Nikolishin-Konowalchuck
Stephens-McCormick-Brigley

Mix the shifts, but not the lines by shifting the 4th after the 1st, the 3rd after the 4th, etc... if Granato feels things need to be mixed up.

Gumballhead 10-28-2003 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avfan#21
maybe it means that, that guy on the trade rumours board is right and we just dealt Tanguay to SJ for Nabakov. It would be funny only because then all those guys telling him his credibility was shot would have to eat crow.

Link please.

edit: never mind, i found it.

Av-merican 10-28-2003 10:35 AM

Christ, never call Larsen up AGAIN!

I don't think they can afford to bring Kono up on the 2nd line anymore. That rookie 4th line Granato rolled out against Buffalo was a joke. Here's how I'd like to see the lines:

Tanguay-Forsberg-Hejduk
McCormick-Sakic-Selanne
Konowalchuk-Nikolishin-Stephens
Brigley-Moore-Hinote

I know Dan's been playing decent hockey, but I NEVER want to see an all-rookie line like that again.

Poor Paul Fixter. His red hot Hershey squad is now almost completely depleted...

AvsGuy 10-28-2003 10:42 AM

man, all of a sudden our bottom two lines look brutal. what the heck happened?

M.F 10-28-2003 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sakic19
The caravan from Hershey just keeps getting longer. If injuries persist, ya gotta think maybe one or two depth deals could happen.

Well, if we continue to lose one player a game to injury (pace at the moment), and considering we only have one healthy forward left in Hershey (Krestanovich), Lacroix will soon be forced to sign forwards to have enough healthy bodies on the roster.

avfan#21 10-28-2003 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarOutCrops
Link please.

My pleasure... http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=23130

It's locked now because its an "unsubstantiated rumour" :joker:

99% of what is reported on the rumours board are unsubstantiated rumours made up and puked out in the fishwraps to sell the darn things. Just because Al Strachan said it hardly makes it anymore legit. He never reveals his sources other than maybe to say my NHL inside sources say "blah blah blah" And everytime they are rehashed on the boards they are left there to die from old age, whilst some guy who trusts his roommates family is supposed to have a "legit" source to be able to post. Un-freakin-believable. So what if it isn't true, it was nice for a discussion. Sometimes the double standard on these boards just kills me. I like quality as much as the next rumour junkie but c'mon, Garrioch has dealt Bonk in the Ottawa papers about a zillion times, and yet everytime he brings up a "rumour" it's still bantered about in a dozen threads on the boards. Is his credibility shot? sure. But somehow it's still discussable. (is that a word?)

Gumballhead 10-28-2003 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avfan#21
My pleasure... http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=23130

It's locked now because its an "unsubstantiated rumour" :joker:

99% of what is reported on the rumours board are unsubstantiated rumours made up and puked out in the fishwraps to sell the darn things. Just because Al Strachan said it hardly makes it anymore legit. He never reveals his sources other than maybe to say my NHL inside sources say "blah blah blah" And everytime they are rehashed on the boards they are left there to die from old age, whilst some guy who trusts his roommates family is supposed to have a "legit" source to be able to post. Un-freakin-believable. So what if it isn't true, it was nice for a discussion. Sometimes the double standard on these boards just kills me. I like quality as much as the next rumour junkie but c'mon, Garrioch has dealt Bonk in the Ottawa papers about a zillion times, and yet everytime he brings up a "rumour" it's still bantered about in a dozen threads on the boards. Is his credibility shot? sure. But somehow it's still discussable. (is that a word?)

Seems like most people that post a lot on those main boards have a chip on their shoulder and probably need a life, or lessons in virtual positivity. I think it's a pretty juicy rumor, and if someone hears whispers about it, why not put it up there? I just don't see what the Avs would do with all those goalies if the deal was Tanger for Nobo straight up. Maybe we'd send a goalie and a pick and get Ricci. That would be juicy, indeed.

BearsFan30 10-28-2003 11:33 AM

Trust me, the Hershey fans don't like all these recalls anymore than you like having your guys injured.

Not only do you take Larsen, but you hurt him to? Gee -- thanks :p

Laperriere22* 10-28-2003 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarioinDenver
If Granato puts Konowalchuk with the Sakic line again I'm going to throw my remote out my Highlands Ranch window.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Av-merican
I don't think they can afford to bring Kono up on the 2nd line anymore.

What are you guys saying? That Konowalchuk isn't capable of filling in as a top 6 forward? The Avs sure could use a Reinprecht right about now eh?

Gumballhead 10-28-2003 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laperriere22
What are you guys saying? That Konowalchuk isn't capable of filling in as a top 6 forward? The Avs sure could use a Reinprecht right about now eh?

If we keep losing forwards, we'll have to sign lil' Cliff Ronning and Stumpy. :moon:

Yayo 10-28-2003 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NuckMan
Then, move Skoula to forward.

Hmm. It's a possibility.

Mr. Avalanche 10-28-2003 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Man
Hmm. It's a possibility.

On another team. He'll somehow still find a way to turn over the puck anywhere which will lead to a scoring chance.

Ensane 10-28-2003 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laperriere22
What are you guys saying? That Konowalchuk isn't capable of filling in as a top 6 forward? The Avs sure could use a Reinprecht right about now eh?

Blah blah, hindsight is 20/20 ... who woulda predicted that five-hundred and twenty-three Avs would be injured before the team hit 10 games? :dunno:

Laperriere22* 10-28-2003 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ensane
Blah blah, hindsight is 20/20 ... who woulda predicted that five-hundred and twenty-three Avs would be injured before the team hit 10 games? :dunno:

Hindsight? I call it foresight. PL had 6 top 6 forwards, none of which are going to set iron man records for games played in a row. He dealt away the only tweener the Avs had left in Reinprecht. Seems rather obvious that the top 6 depth was an issue well before now. Battaglia couldn't step in and Konowalchuk predictably can't either. That's the issue.

And the Avs have zero to be complaining about; their injuries aren't that extensive. The Blues are currently playing defensive pairs of Pronger-Baron, Backman-Brimanis, and Finley-Stuart. I fart at the Avs injury "woes" as would a team like the Kings.

Sandman52 10-28-2003 03:19 PM

re: hurtin depth
 
hmm, if the depth gets too bad Podes might be coming back to the team.

Ensane 10-28-2003 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laperriere22
Hindsight? I call it foresight. PL had 6 top 6 forwards, none of which are going to set iron man records for games played in a row. He dealt away the only tweener the Avs had left in Reinprecht. Seems rather obvious that the top 6 depth was an issue well before now. Battaglia couldn't step in and Konowalchuk predictably can't either. That's the issue.

And the Avs have zero to be complaining about; their injuries aren't that extensive. The Blues are currently playing defensive pairs of Pronger-Baron, Backman-Brimanis, and Finley-Stuart. I fart at the Avs injury "woes" as would a team like the Kings.

It can't be anything less than hindsight. Reinprecht was no durable warrior himself. He missed a nice amount of games a few years back as well. Like I said, you can't expect 8 of your NHL forwards to go down in such a short span of time. You play the odds (which is the GM's job), and you prepare for what's most likely to happen. The most likely scenario would see only one of the top 6 going down for a short period of time (as it stands we have 2 down for what looks to be a short period of time). In which case Battaglia or Konowalchuk could step in for that short period of time. Now if Kariya is down a very long period of time, then there's legitimate cause for concern--which is when trade rumors begin to seep in. But if I'm not mistaken in Kariya's last two seasons he avoided injuries completely.

And I wasn't really implying that the Avs had it the worst. I was just throwing some obsene number out there because at the time I didn't know the exact number -- and given the short period of time, it sure felt like a three digit figure. I mean c'mon, freaking Travis Brigley. :p

Last I checked your Blues fowards looked pretty unscathed. And the Kings, well, they are in a category by themselves. But as I sai,d it could be a lot harsher for the Avs -- at least our blueline is still in tact.

Laperriere22* 10-28-2003 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ensane
In which case Battaglia or Konowalchuk could step in for that short period of time.

That's the issue. Battaglia couldn't and Konowalchuk has slowly shown that he can't either (of course maybe Sakic is just so bad right now that he's dragging everyone down; hell if I know). PL left himself walking a tightrope basically. He had no one capable of stepping up as an offensive player if any of the top 6 went down after trading Reinprecht. Sure, you can play grinders up there, but there's little hope of getting production from them. Ditto rookies because you can't go around relying on rookies to step up to a top 6 role (not that it can't happen mind you, just that you can't rely on it working out that way). Obviously you can't predict injuries, but I think every GM has to assume they will encounter a few at least. When Kariya went down so early on, the Avs didn't and still don't have anyone that can fill in capably for him. PL left himself without a single depth player for the top 6; that's what I call poor planning personally. And it's because he dealt that depth player for a prospect.

There's plenty of depth for the bottom 6, which is the area most hit by injuries right now on the Avs and besides that, bottom 6 depth forwards will be playing simpler roles than a top 6 guy would.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ensane
Last I checked your Blues fowards looked pretty unscathed. And the Kings, well, they are in a category by themselves. But as I sai,d it could be a lot harsher for the Avs -- at least our blueline is still in tact.

Well, Mellanby came back tonight and Boguniecki has missed every game so far. Cajanek is out with bruised ribs at the moment to go along with Drake who missed a couple of games himself. The Blues aren't the worst ever injury list by any means right now, but I'd be more than happy to trade injuries with the Avs. A bunch of bottom 6 injuries with a couple of top 6 injuries is better than the blueline the Blues have put out there. If we were making a comparison between the two bluelines, it would be like the Avs having to play Blake-Skoula, Tomas Slovak-DJ Smith, and Brett Clark-Mikko Viitanen. Do you find that appealing? I sure as hell don't. I'm not saying the Avs haven't been hit hard by injuries, but I am saying I would take their injuries over the Blues.

Ensane 10-28-2003 10:05 PM

Well, I'm not gonna fully defend Lacroix, because I'll admit, I'm still a little fuzzy on why the Reinprecht trade went down. But he surely felt a little more solid having a healthy Marek Svatos around as well as Brian Willsie--both could be considered top 6 talent.

I haven't seen Willsie play in over a year, but last time he was around for an extended duration he essentially was a top 6 forward -- heck, he was the Avs best forward for a few games.

And Svatos, although unproven was labelled by many (including yourself I believe) as being strictly top-6 talent, and therefore should be sent down to the AHL for the time being.

Ideally Reinprecht would have been better to be bumped up to the top 6, but I don't think PL expected to lose both Svatos and Willsie so soon (well, maybe just Svatos).

DarioinDenver 10-29-2003 04:09 AM

Rhino's game is relatively one deminsional. He was relatively invisible last night and seems to always be absent from big plays in the playoffs. He's got great speed and can make a shot on the rush but the rest of his game is not that impressive. On the other hand you can obtain a defenseman prospect who might be able to do top four duty, especially down the road when Blake and or Foote is gone. Considering where the Avs were pre-injury and pre-waiver draft I still like the deal.

Jori 10-29-2003 04:52 AM

I have nothing against Ballard, I too think he can develop into a top four NHL defenseman. However, he wont be able to help the Avs for another 2-3 years. I have no problem with Reinprecht being traded, but I would have preferred to have had someone who could help the Avs this season.

Enoch 10-29-2003 05:26 AM

Come now, Kariya and Selanne have both not missed a game in the past two years. Tanguay usually finshes out the whole season, and Hejduk has only had one injury problem. Sakic usually plays 70 - 80. Forsberg is the only one that usually gets hurt in the top 6, and that is b/c of the type of game he plays.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.