HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Could Koivu Be Leaving? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=23592)

blueberry 10-28-2003 01:03 PM

Could Koivu Be Leaving?

Does anybody else feel this might be happening. Gaborik isn't playing and neither is Koivu although I get the feeling he's been ready for a while. Koivu's brother is ready to come over. Riseborough's been seen scouting the habs. Could this be to check out someone else that might be thrown in? Doesn't sound so crazy to me. They can't make contract with Gaborik and with Koivu's little brother coming over it sounds like a sweet deal for both parties to me. Lets face it we aren't gonna win with Koivu as our number 1 center. Gaboriks younger and would be a great fit with our emerging team. This is pure speculation on my part but I get a feeling....

BigM1ke 10-28-2003 01:04 PM

You're as bad as the Montreal media.

sorry... don't wanna be rude.. but damn.

StanleyCH25 10-28-2003 01:08 PM

In case you hadn't noticed, not many teams trade to get brothers to play together. This seems to be a pipe dream in everybody's mind. This usually only happens later in each brother's career where they might end up together (like the Bures) but other than that, it's not as much of a priority as some people seem to put to it.

Besides, Koivu is like the heart of the team. He might not be perfect but with everything he's been through and all the perseverance he's put forth, it'd be silly for Gainey to trade him away (even for Gaborik) when he's trying to establish hard work and dedication into the minds of the youngsters.

Munchausen 10-28-2003 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueberry
Doesn't sound so crazy to me.

And I hope you're the only one feeling that way...

Kirk Muller 10-28-2003 01:36 PM

Minny doesn't want to pay Gaborik 4 million, why would they pay Koivu that.

Habsolution 10-28-2003 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nash13

Indeed

Habber 10-28-2003 01:56 PM

Koivu is hurt.
Koivu is hurt.
Koivu is hurt.
Koivu is hurt.

I don't know how many times it can be said. There is nothing else behind this. Even if he was on the verge of getting traded, he would be playing so the Habs could showcase him and to prove to other teams he's healthy. But he's not getting traded.

KOMO_ROCKS 10-28-2003 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nash13

exactly

AK-47 10-28-2003 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HabzIsLife
Because Gaborik isn't respectin the pay system, while Koivu is getting what he deserves

:moon: I had 2 try it out :lol:

Seriously, How can a guy deserve to be hurt? Hell, if one guy in hockey doesn't deserve to be hurt it's koivu.

I just want him back in the lineup, but if he isn't ready, then its better to wait then risk another injury.

Besides, he is still injured, this isn't some mascarade in order for BG to trade the guy.

CrAzYNiNe 10-28-2003 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AK-47
Seriously, How can a guy deserve to be hurt? Hell, if one guy in hockey doesn't deserve to be hurt it's koivu.

I just want him back in the lineup, but if he isn't ready, then its better to wait then risk another injury.

Besides, he is still injured, this isn't some mascarade in order for BG to trade the guy.

Dude I think he was talking about the paycheck

habsfan19 10-28-2003 06:35 PM

Koivu is not going anywhere

do the Habs have a reason to trade him?? he hasn't even played a game yet this year

i think i heard tonight that he did not even practice yesterday or today, i might have heard wrong though

so if he didn't practice he can't be ready to play, the Habs really need him now that they have been shut out two games in a row

Corey 10-28-2003 06:47 PM

The Habs could have used a healthy Koivu because their healthy centers are running on fumes.

TwineSniper 10-28-2003 06:58 PM

I think Saku said in a interview back in Finland that he wanted his brother to earn his own identity at least for the first little while in the NHL, so this wouldn;t happen...besides, dealing Koivu would be a PR nightmare, you almost never deal a fan favourite!

CrAzYNiNe 10-28-2003 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The~Franchise
I think Saku said in a interview back in Finland that he wanted his brother to earn his own identity at least for the first little while in the NHL, so this wouldn;t happen...besides, dealing Koivu would be a PR nightmare, you almost never deal a fan favourite!

Can we frame this for everyone, so they stop making proposals about it?

FerrisRox 10-28-2003 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patp77
In case you hadn't noticed, not many teams trade to get brothers to play together. This seems to be a pipe dream in everybody's mind. This usually only happens later in each brother's career where they might end up together (like the Bures) but other than that, it's not as much of a priority as some people seem to put to it.

The facts completely contradict your claim.

Montreal traded for Frank Mahovlich so he could play with Peter.

Pittsburgh traded for Alain Lemieux so he could play with Mario.

Montreal traded for Jocelyn Lemieux so he could play with Claude.

Minnesota traded for Aaron and Paul Broten so they could play with Neal.

Vancouver traded for Russ Courtnall so he could play with Geoff.

Dallas traded for Kevin Hatcher so he could play with Derian.

Vancouver traded for Henrik Sedin so he could play with Daniel.

Florida traded for Valeri Bure so he could play with Pavel.

The list goes on and on. I'm not sure where you got the idea this was unusual.

As for your example about the Bure's, unless you somehow think the Panthers had a crystal ball and knew Pavel's career (might) be cut short by knee injuries, why did you think at age 30, right in his prime, he was at the end of his career?

montreal 10-29-2003 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The~Franchise

PR nightmare and fan favorite, but so were all the other captains that got traded to a lesser extent. We always trade our captain at somepoint.

But I don't see Koivu going anywhere anytime soon.

JV 10-29-2003 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FerrisRox

Facts are such an inconvenience.

Nonetheless, I can't see Minny being willing to send an elite sniper on the rise to Mtl so they can get an injury prone centerman who they'll have to pay just as much. Second, the whole point of getting a guy like Koivu is to provide a guy like Gaborik witht the playmaker he needs, and the whole point of getting a guy like Gaborik is to give a centerman like Koivu the speed and finish on his wing that he needs. The Habs wouldn't be better off with Gaborik instead of Koivu, not for the next two or three years anyway.

Besides, I like Koivu.

StanAjax 10-29-2003 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FerrisRox

The list goes on and on. I'm not sure where you got the idea this was unusual.

Well, well..... It's worth noting than most of the times, the team who has the better brother acquires the other one...... The opposite is rare.... And Mikko will never be as good as Saku I think. At least, he's posted numbers far from Saku's in Finland Elite League.

HABIMUS-MAXIMUS 10-29-2003 11:57 AM

If Minnesota offered Gaborik for Koivu straight up, It would be a steal for the Habs and I would do it in a flash. The ONLY problem would be that he might become a salary problem later in his career, and nobody wants a greedy/unreasonable player.

What's the question here...that the Habs would never trade Koivu or that Gaborik is not worth Koivu????

AK-47 10-30-2003 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY_NiNe
Dude I think he was talking about the paycheck

Yo Dude, I thought he was talking about something else. His sentence could of been seen in many different ways. He said that koivu got what he deserved. How can you be so sure that he was talking about money.

the guy deleted his on message.