HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Primeau possibly back for Playoffs? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=236618)

jb** 03-30-2006 05:06 PM

Primeau possibly back for Playoffs?

Howard Eskin on 610 wip said he has heard from 3 sources within the Flyers that Primeau is telling people he thinks he will play in the playoffs. Eskin said he spoke with hitchcock today and he said it is unlikely, leaving the door open. He said Hitch also said he doesn't think Johhnnson will be back for the playoffs and that they have been playing Joey Hope a ton of minutes with the Phantoms grooming him and getting him ready for the playoffs and possibly the end of season.

Roger's Pancreas* 03-30-2006 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWO
Howard Eskin on 610 wip said he has heard from 3 sources within the Flyers that Primeau is telling people he thinks he will play in the playoffs. Eskin said he spoke with hitchcock today and he said it is unlikely, leaving the door open. He said Hitch also said he doesn't think Johhnnson will be back for the playoffs and that they have been playing Joey Hope a ton of minutes with the Phantoms grooming him and getting him ready for the playoffs and inevitably the end of season.

Just thought I'd fix that for you.

Dig Out Your Soul 03-30-2006 05:26 PM

Didn't some people talk to Mrs. Primeau at the Carnival and she said there's no way he's coming back?

GKJ 03-30-2006 05:36 PM

Since Eskin said it, I pretty much don't believe it since it is the Flyers we're talking about.

jb** 03-30-2006 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
Since Eskin said it, I pretty much don't believe it since it is the Flyers we're talking about.

He said he talked to Hitch today and he doesn't make stuff up like him or not. I found the Hope comment interesting as if true has he passed Picard and Jones?

04' hockey 03-30-2006 05:51 PM

Why??

the skiing season over for him? After missing practically ALL YEAR, what could he possibly contribute? He's NOT a finesse hockey player, who's minutes does he take?, not FAIR AT ALL to the guys who worked all season! His timing will be a joke.....can't see ANY advantage for the team to dress him. Time for some hard decisions, for Clarke to put his foot down for the good of the team. All of a sudden "Preems" isn't suffering from his "symptoms" :shakehead ? He should go away and let the fellas get on with the rest of the season. This is about Flyers hockey not the keith primeau story. :madfire:

GKJ 03-30-2006 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04' hockey
the skiing season over for him? After missing practically ALL YEAR, what could he possibly contribute? He's NOT a finesse hockey player, who's minutes does he take?, not FAIR AT ALL to the guys who worked all season! His timing will be a joke.....can't see ANY advantage for the team to dress him. Time for some hard decisions, for Clarke to put his foot down for the good of the team. All of a sudden "Preems" isn't suffering from his "symptoms" :shakehead ? He should go away and let the fellas get on with the rest of the season. This is about Flyers hockey not the keith primeau story. :madfire:

...it's a good plan to hold him out, allow the team to pick up Nedved and if they want, keep everyone for next year that doesn't suck.

He's not coming back. Primeau said so himself.

GameFace247SON 03-30-2006 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWO
Howard Eskin on 610 wip said

that's as far as i got

peacepipe 03-30-2006 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04' hockey

Primeau is one of there top players finesse or not he brings intensity to the team that you wont get from anyone else...although i dont think it would be right to play him in the playoffs there would be no doubt id play a healthy primeau over nedved or richards

Dizzy 03-30-2006 07:11 PM

Primeau was interviewed on CBC for the Flyers-Sens broadcast last Saturday. He said he was at peace with his decision to miss the season and there was absolutely no suggestion of him returning for the playoffs. He's still no 100%, it doesn't for the team or for his overall health for him to come back this year.

FlyersFanJS 03-30-2006 07:23 PM

i don't like the idea of preems coming back based on A) his health and B) lack of playing shape...however, anyone saying that he wouldn't spark the heck out of this team is sorely mistaken, he brings something to the table that nobody else on this team does, healthy or not, seeing their true captain on the ice would be a HUGE boost...but as i said earlier, he should just wait for next season

Steve L* 03-30-2006 07:55 PM

Someone spoke to Primeaus wife at the Flyers wives carnival and she said hes aiming to come back for the playoffs.

Primeau only said hes not going to play this season which I suppose technically doesnt include the playoffs.

ShawnTHW 03-30-2006 08:49 PM

Did Preems tell Hitch hes done for the season? I thought i heard something that if you called yourself out after olympic break then you couldn;t play foe the rest of the season even in the playoffs. I can't remember where i heard it

Sniperz25 03-30-2006 10:00 PM

I believe Primeau is trying to come back, but look at it this way.

Whether he was trying to or not, he wouldn't say he was.

He saw what kind of a distraction Lindros was in the same situation back in 2000.

Dig Out Your Soul 03-30-2006 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniperz25

He saw what kind of a distraction Lindros was in the same situation back in 2000.

If he was (we shouldn't hold out hope), but if he kept it a secret until he was ready, imagine what a boost that would be for the team in the middle of a playoff series.

Danko 03-30-2006 10:19 PM

there is no way he should come back, he will get hurt again.

budscweizer16 03-30-2006 11:36 PM

Quote:

the skiing season over for him? After missing practically ALL YEAR, what could he possibly contribute? He's NOT a finesse hockey player, who's minutes does he take?, not FAIR AT ALL to the guys who worked all season! His timing will be a joke.....can't see ANY advantage for the team to dress him. Time for some hard decisions, for Clarke to put his foot down for the good of the team. All of a sudden "Preems" isn't suffering from his "symptoms" ? He should go away and let the fellas get on with the rest of the season. This is about Flyers hockey not the keith primeau story.
Even if he cant bring anything else to the table, he would bring leadership, which I think is the biggest problem this team has right now. Think about it, no Recchi, Primeau, Roenick, or even Therien from a year ago. Yea thats right i said Therien.
We've got Hatcher but thats only one guy. I think this is a much bigger problem then everyone thinks, what other way is there to explain a 2 month funk with some of the leagues best players. We need a leader, ifs he good to go for the playoffs, theres only a few players on this team, i wouldn;t sit for him.

FlyersFanJS 03-30-2006 11:39 PM

i wouldn't risk his health for leadership....he may be feeling fine, but a concussion is not something to mess with, especially in the playoffs where physical play gets astronomical

GoneFullHextall 03-31-2006 01:55 AM

I just dont see him coming back.
IF he was able to comeback it would be IF we made a deep run into the playoffs, and the last time we were in a situation like this, like what was pointed out allready was the 2000 playoffs with Lindros, and we all know how that turned out dont we.
I dont want Primeau coming back, I would rather have him back for the start of the 2006-07 season ready to go then risk anything at all. It simply is not worth it.

BringBackStevens 03-31-2006 02:22 AM

i don't like the sounds of this.

i am a HUGE primeau fan especially after what he gave us last season BUT he needs to realize that this team has played an entire season without him. I don't think it's going to be as easy as just plugging him in.

crackerzack 03-31-2006 08:15 AM

Did you all miss the 2004 playoffs?

The ONLY reason Primeau shouldn't come back is the danger that he might re-injure himself, effectively ending his career. Primeau is not Lindros. He will not mess up the "chemistry of the team," assuming there even is chemistry. Brian Savage or Keith Primeau?? Hmmmmmm.

Cmoneyflyguy 03-31-2006 08:41 AM

The most disconcerting thing from this post is no Johnsson for the playoffs.

jb** 03-31-2006 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy
The most disconcerting thing from this post is no Johnsson for the playoffs.

agreed, was waiting for someone to bring that up as IMO we need him more than Primeau

tytech 03-31-2006 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniperz25

We Also saw Peter Forsberg miss the entire season with Colarado only to come back and win the playoff scoring crown. Primeau would be a huge boost, even if he was a fourth line checker. Surely him over savage, radio, brashear and Stevenson.
I say bring back our captain and let him spark this team. Lindros wasn't a distraction until Steven's hit him. He's the only one who scored the game before that hit.

tytech 03-31-2006 10:41 AM

Update

UPDATE

Despite a radio report Thursday that he is attempting a comeback for the playoffs, Flyers center Keith Primeau confirmed through a Flyers spokesman Thursday night that, as of now, that is not the case.

"At this time, I can unequivocally state, 100 percent, that I am not returning for the playoffs," Primeau said.

Sidelined with concussion symptoms since Oct. 28, Primeau has begun on-ice workouts with defenseman Kim Johnsson, who also is recovering from a concussion.

"I don't want to start any controversy or any questioning and I hope I don't have to change my therapy regimen because people see me on the ice," Primeau said.

"If I come back I will let everybody know, but at this time I am not planning to return for the playoffs."

Primeau, 34, said his increased presence on the ice and around the team might have fueled speculation that he will return for the playoffs. He reiterated recently that he would need to be symptom free for at least four weeks before even considering a comeback during the playoffs.

At best, that would mean a return to the lineup no sooner than the second round of the playoffs.

"I'm doing much better," Primeau said. "A lot of the spinning sensation causing me tremendous difficulty and grief has subsided and is pretty much non-existent. The difficulty I experience now is some residual pressure and headaches and some light- headedness with exertion and extreme physical therapy."

Primeau said his goal of returning to full activity in September has not changed