HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   OHL (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Proposal OHl team to St.Cathrines? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=237806)

HamiltonOHL 04-03-2006 05:33 PM

Proposal OHl team to St.Cathrines?
 
I was watching CHTV news in the past hour and it said that Don Cherry is trying to get a OHL team back in St.Cathrines

Ex Storm 04-03-2006 05:48 PM

This has been in the works for some time now.

I'm hoping it works out, I'm probably moving to that area after the summer.

WingerFan 04-03-2006 05:56 PM

i have been in contact with the ppl in charge and they will be saying yes or no on april 10th i believe.. they want to rebuild the jack gatecliff, which is home to the st catharines jr b team irght now. i really hope they do get it as well as jr b hockey is just not the same.. thers talka bout teams relocating, that being missy, erie and belleville.

luv_canadian_hockey 04-03-2006 06:00 PM

sounds like a good idea...

Brock 04-03-2006 06:00 PM

I really hope they can get this done by the time I'm done teachers college here (Brock U), which will be in another 3 years.

WingerFan 04-03-2006 06:13 PM

the goal is to have the team on the ice for 2007-2008.. when i get a chance after work i will post a link to an article including all the details. there is also a digital picture of what the rink will look like.

JrHockeyFan 04-03-2006 07:52 PM

Sounds great, but . . .
 
The last thing I read was that the league at no interest in expanding at all. Plus it would be an odd number wouldn't it?

That region really doesn't seem to respond to having Jr hockey. Hamilton Wings/Fincups/etc couldn't hold a club after repeated tries. St Kitts let the team go. The Flyers moved to Hamilton from NF. Guelph has kinda spotty attendance. Brantford disappeared
. . .

Ex Storm 04-03-2006 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan
The last thing I read was that the league at no interest in expanding at all. Plus it would be an odd number wouldn't it?

That region really doesn't seem to respond to having Jr hockey. Hamilton Wings/Fincups/etc couldn't hold a club after repeated tries. St Kitts let the team go. The Flyers moved to Hamilton from NF. Guelph has kinda spotty attendance. Brantford disappeared
. . .

Guelph isn't even close to the Niagara Region. Even if they were, they have averaged over 4,000 per game for 2 years now.

This would not be expansion, a team would be moving. There's been a lot of speculation, I think the leading candidate is Erie though.

CharlieGirl 04-03-2006 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trippyime
This would not be expansion, a team would be moving. There's been a lot of speculation, I think the leading candidate is Erie though.

Hard call there... I also heard rumours about Plymouth being up for sale a while back.

Ex Storm 04-03-2006 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl
Hard call there... I also heard rumours about Plymouth being up for sale a while back.

Yeah I heard the same. Really, I have no clue. You could probably make a case for nearly every team except London and Kitchener if you REALLY tried.

JrHockeyFan 04-05-2006 05:57 PM

Hmmm
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by trippyime
Guelph isn't even close to the Niagara Region. Even if they were, they have averaged over 4,000 per game for 2 years now.

This would not be expansion, a team would be moving. There's been a lot of speculation, I think the leading candidate is Erie though.

If you want to say that Guelph is not in the same neighbourhood as Hamilton, Brantford, St Kitts and NF it fine with me. More important is the fact that all those cities have been part of team shuffles or lost teams. If memory serves, wasn't it the Platers that left Guelph for OS? Brantford lost the Alexanders, Hamilton lost the Fincups and Jr Wings, St Kitts lost the Hawks , NF went to Hamilton to become the Fincups. It hurts my head to try to remember all those moves and names, but I think you should get the picture.

The point being, the general area has had lots of shuffling and lost teams. Not that Guelph is losing their team or suffering poor attendance now.

Guelph might well average 4000 as you say, but there are a lot of vacant seats prime seats whenever Guelph is on TV it seems, including playoff games. Last year showed 3800 ave. and the year before about 3400 according to several attendance web sites.

Anybody know the site that shows annual attendance for everything? I had it saved as a favourite but it got lost.

CharlieGirl 04-05-2006 06:02 PM

The Platers didn't leave Guelph... their owner saw $$$$ and took it.

The Storm aren't one of the top draws in the league, but they're not bad - and they won't be moving.

JrHockeyFan 04-05-2006 06:15 PM

Agreed
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl
The Platers didn't leave Guelph... their owner saw $$$$ and took it.

The Storm aren't one of the top draws in the league, but they're not bad - and they won't be moving.

I was not suggesting that Guelph was moving, just that they were in the area of a Bermuda triangle for OHL hockey.
Whatever the reason the team moved, they moved to OS.

Here are some stats for this year:

Barrie 3,816.1 (4195)
Belleville 2,605.6 (3257)
Brampton 2,734.2 (5000)
Erie 4,080.5 (5600)
Guelph 4,046.3 (5026)
Kingston 2,198.0 (3300)
Kitchener 5,951.3 (6700)
London 9,090.6 (9140)
Mississauga 2,988.8 (6000)
Oshawa 3,013.9 (4205)
Ottawa 8,207.3 (10347)
Owen Sound 2,725.8 (3640)
Peterborough 3,430.4 (4000)
Plymouth 2,657.6 (3800)
Saginaw 4,337.2 (4727)
Sarnia 3,495.9 (5000)
Sault Ste. Marie 3483.4(3950)
Sudbury 4,601.6 (6000)
Toronto 1,009.1 (1617)
Windsor 2,696.4 (4307)

1000 empty seats at Guelph is a lot. 20% vacancy
Also, there was that ownership thing happening over the last couple of years as well (lawsuits and loans etc)

There are worse examples: Brampton and Miss

PS: I am not sure where the capacity 9140 figure comes from for the JLC. 9090 is a sell out with allowable SRO for hockey events

CharlieGirl 04-05-2006 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan
PS: I am not sure where the capacity 9140 figure comes from for the JLC. 9090 is a sell out with allowable SRO for hockey events

There are a few of those figures that are out of whack -- Kitchener is not 6700. I'd say 6300 tops.

eaton28 04-05-2006 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan
Sudbury 4,601.6 (6000)

Sudbury isnt 6000, it is about 5700...

Ex Storm 04-05-2006 09:06 PM

I agree Jr, that there's been a lot of movement. I just thought you were including Guelph, for some reason, in the unsuccessful group of Niagara-area teams.

Guelph only has a population of 100,000. It would take 170,000 people to sell-out the arena for 34 home games (not including playoffs here). Isn't that a hell of a lot to expect? Nearly every person in the city would have to attend 2 games a year just to make the building full. Not everyone likes junior hockey, or even hockey in general and wants to spend money on it. Like I said, they've averaged over 4,000 for two seasons now and I think that's pretty impressive.

But, this isn't here nor there.

This group that wants to put a team in St Kitts has the money and the confidence and if they want to do it, they should. Teams that pick up and move are not always forced to because of attendance. Sometimes there are interested buyers with better arenas that can lure a team away - something this group led by Cherry are hoping to use to their advantage.

jwalk 04-05-2006 09:30 PM

It's nice to see the O bring back some of the historical teams that were originally farm teams for the NHL, however ; after the debacle in Mississauga you have to seriously wonder why the OHL would grant Cherry another franchise. That team didn't win more than 15 games until he sold his ownership stake, and kids like Spezza ,Fritsche,and Schremp wanted nothing to do with the team.

Ex Storm 04-05-2006 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwalk
It's nice to see the O bring back some of the historical teams that were originally farm teams for the NHL, however ; after the debacle in Mississauga you have to seriously wonder why the OHL would grant Cherry another franchise. That team didn't win more than 15 games until he sold his ownership stake, and kids like Spezza ,Fritsche,and Schremp wanted nothing to do with the team.

That's actually an argument I've been waiting to hear. I don't have much to say on the topic, I've just been thinking the same.

Leaf Army 04-11-2006 11:29 AM

Cherry, Ludzik and Co. attended St. Catharines council again last night.

They were hoping to get a final answer from St. Catharines council regarding the arena renovations, and all discussions on the matter were conducted behind closed doors and were not made public.

Council ended up meeting into the wee hours of the morning and the conclusion is........



























......they feel they still need more information and we'll have to wait another two weeks until it is discussed in council again. Jeez this is killing me!

OHLArenaGuide 04-12-2006 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan
NF went to Hamilton to become the Fincups.

Incorrect. The Fincups were formerly the Hamilton Red Wings and Hamilton Tiger Cubs and had played in the city for a long time previous. They left in 1976 because there was no arena to play in (the old Forum, aka the most run-down arena in hockey history, was demolished in 1976 and Copps wasn't built until 1985).

Niagara has had three teams, the first Flyers moved to Sudbury, the second Flyers to North Bay, and the Thunder to Erie.

JrHockeyFan 04-14-2006 07:23 PM

Thanks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sec17
Incorrect. The Fincups were formerly the Hamilton Red Wings and Hamilton Tiger Cubs and had played in the city for a long time previous. They left in 1976 because there was no arena to play in (the old Forum, aka the most run-down arena in hockey history, was demolished in 1976 and Copps wasn't built until 1985).

Niagara has had three teams, the first Flyers moved to Sudbury, the second Flyers to North Bay, and the Thunder to Erie.

Thanks for the info. All those moves were confusing as all get out.

JrHockeyFan 04-14-2006 07:27 PM

Hey
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by eaton28
Sudbury isnt 6000, it is about 5700...

It's an attendance site that obviously has some bugs I guess.

HamiltonOHL 04-14-2006 08:20 PM

reply
 
Just wondering if anyone knew a site where i could find otu what the OHL expansion rules were

OHLArenaGuide 04-15-2006 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyFan850
Just wondering if anyone knew a site where i could find otu what the OHL expansion rules were

Try wikipedia. There's an OHL history article that lays it out pretty well.

HamiltonOHL 04-27-2006 11:06 PM

reply
 
Just wonderign if you brought in a team to St.Cathrines one what would you call them and two what colors woudl you come up with in the following:

Home
Foreground:
Background:
Trim:

Away
Foreground:
Background:
Trim:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:25 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.