HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Islanders (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Official GameThread: Islanders vs Penguins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=23813)

NYIsles1* 10-29-2003 09:13 AM

Official GameThread: Islanders vs Penguins

NYI.com previews:

http://www.newyorkislanders.com/gameday/pregame.html

We Meet Again (7:30 p.m.)
Islanders at Pittsburgh Penguins (FSNY, ESPN Radio 1050 AM)

The Isles are playing their third game in five nights. Though they enter the game down a man with Dave Scatchard on the shelf with a shoulder injury, the team has more than enough players to prevent any let-down. Trent Hunter, Justin Papineau and Sean Bergenheim have been solid when called upon to spell the team's vets, while the two-man platoon in net has allowed the Isles to ice a fresh goaltender each night.
http://www.newyorkislanders.com/gameday/insider.html

The Insider: The Book on the Penguins
Islanders vs. Pittsburgh Penguins

Who's Hot
As expected, Mario Lemieux has been one of the Pens' few consistent offensive threats this season, taking the team scoring lead with seven points, despite scoring only one goal. After collecting a goal and an assist in the second game of the season, he's picked up a helper in each game since.
http://www.newyorkislanders.com/gameday/scoop.html

The Scoop: Pittsburgh Penguins

In an attempt to shake things up, the Penguins will be switching up their line combinations. Aleksey Morozov has been promoted to the Pens' top line right wing replacing Konstanin Koltsov on the line. Lemieux will of course remain at center and Martin Straka will stay at left wing.

"It was tough," Webb said. "It was interesting, you know what I mean? I have to play the way I play, right? So there's nothing you can do, and they're aware of that. I had to bring it all and if it was one of my old roommates it didn't matter. If they had their head down, I was going to hit them. It doesn't matter."

CREW99AW 10-29-2003 10:10 AM

I expect the score of this game to be a lot closer then Saturday's game.Pens were embarrassed Sat. and the youngster Fluery's playing well.

Webb'll be trying to fire up the home crowd.Isles have to aviod retalitory penalties and get the pp working against the Pens.

Isles 3,Pens 2
Isles scorers:Peca,Papineau,Aucoin
Pen scorers:Mario,Morozov

Let's go nyi :)

fuhr 10-29-2003 01:54 PM

I'm assuming Godard is going to play tonight,correct? After their last meeting i'm guessing he'll be in the lineup to lay a pounding in some Pens!!!

Tom Liodice 10-29-2003 04:27 PM

END OF PERIOD 1

Discipline??? What's discipline??? Looks like the Isles should play short-handed more when they play against the Penguins. Excellent PK by the Isles in the first. That Bates shorty must've been a big relief for him, as he scored his first of the season. Snow looked a little wary out there in my opinion, but at least he came up big in some points. Nice to see Stirling but Paps-Pecs-Parry out there. Hopefully it will work out because they were pretty solid throughout the preseason. And finally congratulations to Mario Lemieux on his 1,700th point of his career. Doesn't it seem like all of his milestones come against the Islanders??? 500th goal....1,700th point....oh well, here's the scorecard...

END OF PERIOD 1
ISLANDERS - 2
PITTSBURGH - 1

SCORING
Period 1: NYI, Bates 1 (Hamrlik) - SH, 8:03; NYI, Yashin 3 (Kvasha, Czerkawski), 17:07; PIT, Tarnstrom 2 (Lemieux, Koltsov), 19:44

PENALTIES
Period 1: NYI, Cairns (Roughing), 6:18; NYI, Niinimaa (Holding the stick), 9:51; PIT, Abid (Hooking), 10:14; NYI, Weimer (Tripping), 14:44

SHOTS ON GOAL
NYI - 8
PIT - 7

GOALTENDING
NYI - Snow (7 shots, 6 saves)
PIT - Fleury (8 shots, 6 saves)

Tom Liodice 10-29-2003 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Liodice
Discipline??? What's discipline???

END OF PERIOD 2

Looks like I'm going to keep my big mouth shut! :p What you saw there was a perfect example of what I just said. Poor play and standaround in the first 10 minutes of that second period. I could tell at the beginning of the game that Snow looked a little wary, and to me he still does. Not to take anything away from the poor play of the Islanders, but does it look like every little hit by the Isles or fall from the Pens is a penalty to the Isles??? I dunno, that's just something I've noticed. But I figure I'm not going to say anything else before it gets me into trouble :p , so I'll just go straight to the scorecard...

END OF PERIOD 2
ISLANDERS - 2
PITTSBURGH - 3

SCORING
Period 1: NYI, Bates 1 (Hamrlik) - SH, 8:03; NYI, Yashin 3 (Kvasha, Czerkawski), 17:07; PIT, Tarnstrom 2 (Lemieux, Koltsov), 19:44
Period 2: PIT, Straka 4 (Fata, Koltsov), 0:52; PIT, Malone 1 (Eastwood), 3:42

PENALTIES
Period 1: NYI, Cairns (Roughing), 6:18; NYI, Niinimaa (Holding the stick), 9:51; PIT, Abid (Hooking), 10:14; NYI, Weimer (Tripping), 14:44
Period 2: NYI, Niinimaa (Hooking), 1:31; PIT, Buchberger (Interference), 2:16; NYI, Parrish (Holding), 3:38; NYI, Weimer (Tripping), 7:09; NYI, Blake (High Sticking), 10:54; PIT, Berehowsky (Holding), 17:08

SHOTS ON GOAL
NYI - 8 - 11
PIT - 7 - 9

GOALTENDING
NYI - Snow (16 shots, 13 saves)
PIT - Fleury (19 shots, 17 saves)

CREW99AW 10-29-2003 06:03 PM

Jesus was that pathetic.

Tom Liodice 10-29-2003 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Liodice
I figure I'm not going to say anything else before it gets me into trouble

END OF GAME

Damn good thing I did keep my mouth shut!! It looks like the Isles realized that it was wakey-wakey time for them and they showed what they can do when they don't take any stupid penalties. Great goal by Blake, with a sensational move on Buchberger. Oleg Kvasha looked real damn strong in the 3rd, culminating with a great blind pass to the center and finding Czerkawski for the 4th goal. Gotta give props to Marc-Andre Fleury though, he really kept the Pens in the game for them. Wasn't Eric Godard on the roster tonight??? I didn't see any of him at all. Only 2:54 for him. It certainly wasn't a pretty game at all. This should've been two points for the Isles, but I guess one is better than nothing. On a random note, Pittsburgh sure loves their Van Halen :p ...every stoppage of play was Van Halen song. Not that I'm complaining...but whatever...onto the scorecard...

END OF GAME
ISLANDERS - 4
PITTSBURGH - 4

SCORING
Period 2: PIT, Straka 4 (Fata, Koltsov), 0:52; PIT, Malone 1 (Eastwood), 3:42
Period 3: PIT, Eastwood 1 (Bergevin, Koltsov), 2:10; NYI, Blake 3 (Bates), 8:25; NYI, Czerkawski 8 (Kvasha, Yashin), 11:13
Overtime: None

PENALTIES
Period 2: NYI, Niinimaa (Hooking), 1:31; PIT, Buchberger (Interference), 2:16; NYI, Parrish (Holding), 3:38; NYI, Weimer (Tripping), 7:09; NYI, Blake (High Sticking), 10:54; PIT, Berehowsky (Holding), 17:08
Period 3: NYI, Parrish (Obstruction Interference), 16:45
Overtime: PIT, Lemieux (Holding the stick), 4:55

SHOTS ON GOAL
NYI - 8 - 11 - 12 - 8 = 39
PIT - 7 - 9 - 6 - 2 = 24

GOALTENDING
NYI - Snow (24 shots, 20 saves)
PIT - Fleury (39 shots, 35 saves)

THREE STARS
1: Mariusz Czerkawski
2. Konstantin Koltsov
3. Mario Lemieux

Jiggs 10-29-2003 06:23 PM

I thought I heard Howie Rose say that Mapletoft was playing. Did I hear correctly or was Howie on some of Ralph Kiner's booze during the game?

Jones23 10-29-2003 06:43 PM

At the start it looked like they were going to blow them out and then mistakes(Papineau,line change),penalties(Niinimaa,holding the stick again)and bad calls(Wiemer,Blake) happened.Other than that they dictated play and just couldn't finish them off.

Nice to see them suck it up and get the one point but this is game where I'm sure they think they should have two. :mad:

Fox Pittsburgh's Jim Lange and Bob Errey are absolutely deadful to listen to! :shakehead

Koltsov71 10-29-2003 06:46 PM

Once again impressed with the play of the top line, especially Kvasha.

Koltsov71 10-29-2003 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigPeca
Fox Pittsburgh's Jim Lange and Bob Errey are absolutely deadful to listen to! :shakehead

Hey, hey.. Bob Errey is terrible, I can agree with that much. But Mike Lange is a Pittsburgh legend.

Tom Liodice 10-29-2003 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiggs
I thought I heard Howie Rose say that Mapletoft was playing. Did I hear correctly or was Howie on some of Ralph Kiner's booze during the game?

He mixed up Papineau and Mapletoft...Paps is wearing #26, Mapletoft's number last year. I still get them mixed up from time to time...

~TL

Moosie 10-30-2003 03:38 AM

VS Pittsburgh

There is no excuse for not winning this game. If the Isles had played in the first 50 minutes like they did in the last 15 minutes, they would have won easily. Granted, there weren't many power plays (any?). Mike Lang absolutely worshipped at Oleg's altar.

NYIsles1* 10-30-2003 07:57 AM

Nice color-coded updates Tom, good job.

All this talk of how the Pens would come out mad at the Isles, but where was the Isles anger at how they played against New Jersey?

Aside from the final ten minutes and ot, Isles did not play very inspired hockey. They did not get much help from the officials but did not work to make Pittsburgh take penalties and only seemed to get some chances shorthanded. Most of the goals were off individual efforts or rebounds, they could not set up one play where they had an open net for the winner against the reeling Pens at the end of the game?

Fluery played great at the end to keep the Isles from two points, but the Isles did not even deserve one the way they worked for most of the game. Stirling's reaction during the time-out about says it all for this one.

Beautiful rush by Blake for his goal. Czerkawski and Kvasha had the best setup for a goal. Yashin had a nice rebound for his goal.

Players who did not seem to show up for Pittsburgh: Parrish, Wiemer, Asham, Niinimaa, Aucoin.