HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Even Jagr thinks Esche should be starter... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=238571)

TheKingPin 04-05-2006 06:20 PM

Even Jagr thinks Esche should be starter...

Well kind of, he had some nice things to say...well kind of

"You know what I think?" said Jagr, who has scored nine goals against Esche this season. "I think somebody other than Esche was in the net.

"They just put Esche's jersey on him," he said with a laugh.

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/spo...y/14264473.htm

Esche's dominant play against Jagr did not go unoticed. Thought the comment was pretty cool.

Lupul* 04-05-2006 06:27 PM

Esche owned Jagr in that game. :)

Finnish Gordon 04-05-2006 06:37 PM

Hmm, doesn't that comment say "usually he sucks but tonight he didn't"? :sarcasm:

Go Frank!

NYR1724 04-05-2006 06:43 PM

Ussualy when you play a guy 7 times.. as a goalie you should get the best of him atleast once. ;)

But honestly, Esche played very well last night. I also saw your game Sunday against the Islanders and he looked good there too.

He looked like he did during the World Cup in 2004 and during the Flyers run to the Eastern Confrence finals the same year.

Just my thoughts.

JXC 04-05-2006 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR1
during the Flyers run to the Eastern Confrence finals the same year.

Lots of people forget Esche's run the last time the Flyers were in a playoffs.

sansan 04-05-2006 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JXC
Lots of people forget Esche's run the last time the Flyers were in a playoffs.

Yea, people jump off the bandwagon here pretty quickly it seems, on both sides of the coin. Niitty is God one day, has a bad game and is thrown to the wolves and vice versa. Lather, rinse, repeat. Honestly, if Esche can continue to play like he did yesterday, the Flyers are in great shape going into the playoffs. If he doesn't, it's no loss, we have Niitty. This is the best I've felt about the Flyer's goaltending going into the playoffs in years. The rest of the team needs to step it up though.

Dig Out Your Soul 04-05-2006 08:59 PM

Is it just me, or is that comment by Jagr kind of insulting? Not to start anything with Ranger fans who might come through here, but I know that Esche is capable of playing that well, I'm sure a lot of people do if they took off their Nitty blinders. It wasn't "someone else", it was Esche at his near best. It seemed to me like Jagr was bitter because I'm sure he saw Esche in net and figured he'd be good for at least a goal to get that Ranger record.

Am I the only one? :dunno:

sansan 04-05-2006 09:34 PM

It's like something I would say to my little brother if he ever beat me in tennis. Jagr has had Esche's number this year, I don't think anyone is going to deny that. Playful jabbing IMO. Nothing to get worked up over.

Sum1winachampionship 04-05-2006 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trippyime
Is it just me, or is that comment by Jagr kind of insulting? Not to start anything with Ranger fans who might come through here, but I know that Esche is capable of playing that well, I'm sure a lot of people do if they took off their Nitty blinders. It wasn't "someone else", it was Esche at his near best. It seemed to me like Jagr was bitter because I'm sure he saw Esche in net and figured he'd be good for at least a goal to get that Ranger record.

Very insulting if you ask me. He's just said, 'that couldn't have been Esche, he was too good'

Esche was fantastic against the Rangers but I personally don't think he was that great against the Islanders. Although I am apparently in the minority on that one

dedalus 04-05-2006 10:29 PM

Quote:

Is it just me, or is that comment by Jagr kind of insulting?

I'd say it was all in the laugh that came with it. If it was a friendly chuckle, the comment should probably be taken in the spirit of a joke and a compliment.

But hey, if it makes future games even more competitive and entertaining than last night's, I say Esche should take it as Jagr sneering at him and calling him worthless. :D

clay 04-05-2006 11:31 PM

Haha, that's pretty cocky.

FlyersFanJS 04-06-2006 12:12 AM

Quote:

no, when i first read the quote the first thing that came to mind was "what a frickin ***hole" it's like saying that esche really sucks but he got lucky and played like someone else that night, only reaffirms my hatred for jagr (mostly because of his attitude)

ShawnTHW 04-06-2006 06:53 AM

Why wouldn't he want him to start. He knows Esche is worse than Niittymaki which is probably why he would want Esche to start. The is the most logical explanation that i could come up with

ArchieIsGod 04-06-2006 08:11 AM

Quote:

why would he think it was esche in net he has 9 goals against him this year...i think its more him complimenting esche for turning it up...we know esche can play great and jagr just saw that for the first time this year, i dont see it as an insult

but hey if it helps to motivate him to keep it up then great

Limey FK 04-06-2006 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArchieIsGod
why would he think it was esche in net he has 9 goals against him this year...i think its more him complimenting esche for turning it up...we know esche can play great and jagr just saw that for the first time this year, i dont see it as an insult

but hey if it helps to motivate him to keep it up then great

Jagr is all jokes and smiles in the locker room these days and with English as his second language, sometimes his comments come accross as slightly crass when taken out of context.

I'm sure he was just trying to be funny and smiling when he said that. He's always pretty sarcastic.

Pantokrator 04-06-2006 08:52 PM

I don't have a problem with what Jagr said, because it was basically true. Since Jagr has destroyed Esche this year, he was obviously surprised that he actually played well. I was too.