HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Maxim Afinigenov... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=23883)

H.M.D. 10-29-2003 02:22 PM

Maxim Afinigenov...

Noticed he's been scratched a lot lately. Is Buffalo looking to move him?
What kind of player do they want in return?

leaflover 10-29-2003 02:29 PM

I've noticed the repetetive scratches myself.I always thought Afinogenov was a highly skilled winger that would eclipse 25g 60 points someday soon.I wonder if sabres fans can shed some light on this situation.If its just sending a message,it should have been received by now.

Frolov 6'3 10-29-2003 03:00 PM

I'm a big Afinogenov fan but I didn't know he has been scratched and that's a surprise to me. They should scratch Botteril instead of Afinogenov.

Darth Milbury 10-29-2003 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leaflover
I've noticed the repetetive scratches myself.I always thought Afinogenov was a highly skilled winger that would eclipse 25g 60 points someday soon.I wonder if sabres fans can shed some light on this situation.If its just sending a message,it should have been received by now.

I doubt that happens. He is a fantastic skater and I think there was a lot of hope he would develop into a goalscorer. At one time, he was seen as being a mini-Pavel Bure. But, he he uses his linemates poorly and I don't see him ever getting 35- 40 assists. Also, he is somewhat soft and his concusion seems to have made him even more leery of contact.

I predict he is out of the NHL within two years.

Satan81 10-29-2003 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Milbury

He has too much talent to be out of the league in 2 years, unless you mean to play in the Russian league. He needs to have the right chemistry with a player in order to get him going. He's the type of guy that gets people out of their seat because of his speed. There are a lot of rumors that the Sabres want to move him. I am a fan of him, although it seems like he just can't finish like he used to.

Blackjack 10-29-2003 04:04 PM

I remember when I saw a Devils Sabres game last year, I think it was right after he came back, but he was probably the most exciting player on the ice. It would really be a shame if that concussion ends up cutting his career short.

Buffaloed 10-29-2003 04:36 PM

I think Max is as good as gone. Sabres have too much depth at RW to put with his liabilities in order to continue developing him. I think he still has a bright future and he won't be given up cheaply.

Club301 10-29-2003 05:01 PM

I've been watching the Sabres a lot this season, recently Lindy Ruff said something about giving him some rest because he still has some lingering effects from last year's concussion.

Chainshot 10-29-2003 06:18 PM

Quote:

I doubt that happens. He is a fantastic skater and I think there was a lot of hope he would develop into a goalscorer. At one time, he was seen as being a mini-Pavel Bure. But, he he uses his linemates poorly and I don't see him ever getting 35- 40 assists. Also, he is somewhat soft and his concusion seems to have made him even more leery of contact.

Soft? Not the same guy I've watched for two and a half seasons. While not someone who's going to rumble over the top of players, when healthy (which he showed to start the season but being one of Ruff's perpetual whipping boys, he was sat in place of more workmanlike players who are for now working hard---check back in a few weeks when those guys aren't working quite so hard yet are still getting quality minutes and you'll notice Ruff's classic favoritism at work) he's a guy who goes into traffic and does not shy away from contact. Classic Max was at the end of the 01-02 season when Scott Stevens knocked Satan to the ice in a post whistle scrum and Max was the first guy--and only guy---diving in to help out his captain. He's not a bruiser, but your implecation that he's "soft" is way off base.

He wasn't shying away from contact in camp, nor to start the season. Numbers and lack of production have bounced him to the press box. It's too bad, the kid's got the sort of flash that a lot of paying customers are interested in seeing. Eh.

Team_Spirit 10-29-2003 06:57 PM

Until he turn into a solid top 6 foward with them the Sabres make a mistake by not trading him , his value drop a bit every month .

Corey 10-29-2003 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NuckMan
He just isn't worth much. His development has clearly stalled. He actually regressed last season.

He could probably be had for a 3rd or less.

If he's available for that little I think several teams would take a chance.

spence___ 10-29-2003 08:12 PM

I think the Pen's should make a pitch for him. He'd fit in fine on our top 6 with Koltsov, Fata and Straka.

Peter Sidorkiewicz 10-29-2003 09:38 PM

I'll love to see Max in Atlanta but I'm not sure what is Buffalo looking for.

Take you pick out of Kamil Piros or Simon Gamache or Kirill Safronov or 3rd round pick and you've got a deal. Also Yuri Butsayev, Joe DiPenta and Daniel Tjarnqvist can be thrown in to make it work.

Atlanta has got a lot of prospects to offer but if you want ready made players only Piros, Tjarnqvist and possibly Safronov could make the Sabres team this season.

Vatican Roulette 10-29-2003 10:04 PM

Quote:

Actually, i think he would perfect for Yashin's right wing, and he wouldn't cost as much as other alternatives.

Buffaloed 10-29-2003 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
I see Afin as being really soft, that doesn't change the fact I want him on the devils. I have been waiting for the Gomez Afinoganov combo for 2 years now. I would give a 3rd in a heart beat if I was Lou.

He's not soft and your comment makes it obvious you haven't seen him play much. Max has never been a guy that has avoided contact. Not much happens when he makes contact, but it's absurd to call him soft.

cybresabre 10-29-2003 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence___
I think the Pen's should make a pitch for him. He'd fit in fine on our top 6 with Koltsov, Fata and Straka.

that'd be a mighty fast line...

WhoIsJimBob 10-30-2003 03:28 AM

I don't see the Sabres giving Max up for merely a 3rd round pick. If they move him it would either be to add a gritty player like a Matt Cooke or Erik Cole or perhaps in a package deal with a guy like Campbell to add some size and grit to the blueline.

And the healthy scratches for Max were a roster shake up by Ruff after the 6-1 blowout loss to the Canucks. The team won three games in a row, so all three guys that got scratched for the LA game were stuck in the pressbox (Max, Campbell, and Tallinder).

The 1st game out was about performance. But the last three were more about Ruff not wanting to change the line up when things are going well.

I'd be shocked if Max weren't in the line up tonight against the Leafs.

WhoIsJimBob 10-30-2003 05:23 AM

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...30/1052172.asp

LALALALALALAFONTAINE 10-30-2003 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Club301
I've been watching the Sabres a lot this season, recently Lindy Ruff said something about giving him some rest because he still has some lingering effects from last year's concussion.

Ruff's in the Buffalo News today saying exactly the opposite.

LALALALALALAFONTAINE 10-30-2003 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buffaloed
He's not soft and your comment makes it obvious you haven't seen him play much. Max has never been a guy that has avoided contact. Not much happens when he makes contact, but it's absurd to call him soft.

He is soft in certain ways. He prefers to spend time on the perimeter skating around where he doesn't create offense, instead of going hell bent for leather towards the net, using his speed like Glenn Anderson used to. Will he go into the corners? Yes, he won't shy away from it, but he's not productive along the boards.

LALALALALALAFONTAINE 10-30-2003 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainshot
Soft? Not the same guy I've watched for two and a half seasons. While not someone who's going to rumble over the top of players, when healthy (which he showed to start the season but being one of Ruff's perpetual whipping boys, he was sat in place of more workmanlike players who are for now working hard---check back in a few weeks when those guys aren't working quite so hard yet are still getting quality minutes and you'll notice Ruff's classic favoritism at work) he's a guy who goes into traffic and does not shy away from contact. Classic Max was at the end of the 01-02 season when Scott Stevens knocked Satan to the ice in a post whistle scrum and Max was the first guy--and only guy---diving in to help out his captain. He's not a bruiser, but your implecation that he's "soft" is way off base.

He wasn't shying away from contact in camp, nor to start the season. Numbers and lack of production have bounced him to the press box. It's too bad, the kid's got the sort of flash that a lot of paying customers are interested in seeing. Eh.

Max dove in to help Barnes?

Afinogenov hasn't been one of Ruff's whipping boys, though he's deserved it.

Max rarely makes a beeline towards the net. Whether you consider that soft or simply ineffective, he never goes to the net.

Mike#16* 10-30-2003 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
I see Afin as being really soft, that doesn't change the fact I want him on the devils. I have been waiting for the Gomez Afinoganov combo for 2 years now. I would give a 3rd in a heart beat if I was Lou.

He'd probabely worth giving him a shot if he comes cheap. (3rd or swap with bicek, something like that)

he may click with gomez or maybe with freeze and larionov. two speedsters centered by the professor could be lethal.

Chainshot 10-30-2003 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LALALALALALAFONTAINE
Max dove in to help Barnes?

Afinogenov hasn't been one of Ruff's whipping boys, though he's deserved it.

Max rarely makes a beeline towards the net. Whether you consider that soft or simply ineffective, he never goes to the net.

Speaking of Satan as the current defacto captain. And yeah, he went in to help him. No one else did. It was fairly frustrating to watch, but then again this is the Sabres we're talking about. They're nothing if not frustrating.

And as for making a beeline for the net, he is not alone in that respect as a Sabre. Only three current roster members seem to take that initiative with or without the puck---Briere, Drury and Hecht. With his lack of superior shooting skills, Max has to go to the net to score uglier goals. If he's not doing that, then he's going to continue to tease.

Glenn's a great comparison---if he had that amount of wreckless abandon, he'd score a helluva lot more goals.

And in my opinion Max has been one of Ruff's whipping boys over the past few years both deserved and undeserved.

Mike#16* 10-30-2003 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike#16
He'd probabely worth giving him a shot if he comes cheap. (3rd or swap with bicek, something like that)

he may click with gomez or maybe with freeze and larionov. two speedsters centered by the professor could be lethal.

but since Lou stated he still wants to shed payroll i could imagin a deal like:

to Buf: Marshall (sal 1,6mio)

to NJ: Max (sal 1,3mio) + pick

Marshall is not performing well at the moment and has now 4th line duty but would add some grit to Buffs lineup and Max may flourish in Nj like others did in the past.

WhoIsJimBob 10-30-2003 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike#16
but since Lou stated he still wants to shed payroll i could imagin a deal like:

to Buf: Marshall (sal 1,6mio)

to NJ: Max (sal 1,3mio) + pick

Marshall is not performing well at the moment and has now 4th line duty but would add some grit to Buffs lineup and Max may flourish in Nj like others did in the past.

Why would the Sabres give up a pick in a deal that's Max for Marshall?