HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal Washington/Detroit (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=23892)

A Good Flying Bird* 10-29-2003 02:26 PM

Proposal Washington/Detroit

I can't believe Washington is going to dump every valuable asset it has and be forced to keep Jagr.
As a Wings fan, I'm not really happy with the idea of Jagr in the winged wheel, but let's look at the issue.
There are two teams desperately looking to dump salary of seemingly unmovable players: Detroit has Curtis Joseph. Washington has Jaromir Jagr.
Detroit is spending $8M this year and next on Cujo for potentially nothing. (this year at least)
Washington owes Jagr 11M per year for a long time (how many more years?)
Now, I hear Washington is trying to dump guys like Gonchar and Lang and Kolzing.
Ouch. They'll be the Pittsburg Penguins at this rate.

So here's what I propose.
1. Washington trades Kozling to Colorado for Tanguay or perhaps even a guy like Svatos and a high pick.
2. Then Detroit trades Cujo to Washington along with Dandenault and perhaps a guy like Jason Williams for Jagr.
During the first two years of the deal, no team trades off salary.
After that, Washington eats $2 to $3M per year for the remainder of Jagr's salary.

What does each team get?
Well, Washington gets whatever they can get for Kolzig, then he is replaced by Cujo (Not a terribly bad swap.) Cujo costs more, but given the Jagr savings, it seems like a bargain. They also get cheap and somewhat useful players like Williams and Dandenault.
In the long term, they'll still spend up to $3M per year on Jagr, but considering how badly they want to dump the salary, it ain't so bad.

Detroit? Well, they take on a lot of salary. And they get a talented headcase. But in the short term, at least, they get rid of Cujo.
Recent news out of Detroit suggests the Cujo situation is really starting to fester. The last thing Detroit needs is a huge dressing room rift during this season generally viewed as the team's last chance at the cup.
A guy like Nik Kronwall should easily take Dandenault's role on the team. Jiri Hudler can step into Jason Williams' role.

Long term, Detroit gets a superstar (though aging and apparently going senile) who should still have some good years left.

Even with Washington taking on salary after the first two years, my gut tells me Detroit wouldn't take on that collosal salary. And I'm not sure this veteran team with character guys like Yzerman/Hull/Shanahan/Lidstrom/Chelios etc, wants a prima donna like Jagr around.
On the other hand, Detroit desperately needs 5 on 5 offense.

donpaulo 10-29-2003 02:46 PM

On the face of it I like the overall aspect of the deal. I would think that Lacroix might try to weasel another forward to wash instead of tanguay.. or better yet a D prospect or two. The rationale is he doesn't want to break up the top 2 lines... Then again Kolzig could be a difference maker.
Perhaps prospect as Slovak, Boychuk or even Ballard (since Johansen is already gone) would interest the caps?
I would also think that the wings get a get over on this more or less swapping cujo and his salary for a forward they can utilize. I would think Mcphee asks for more since his job would then be on the line.

Gibsons Finest 10-29-2003 06:59 PM

Kolzig's value is way down. He's been struggling, though with no d, and will not go anywhere, as he has a NTC.

And it's very possible that Cujo is going no where. He's the underdog in the Detroit goalie race, and he's awesome as an underdog. Hasek has rust, but if Joseph steps up, Hasek may find himself back in retirement.

Habs33 10-29-2003 07:08 PM

sounds nice...but u forgot that Cujo has a no trade clause and will not want to go to a non-contender. I think he'll rather sit and make 8 million doing nothing and win the cup with wings than go make a fool of himself in washington.

Coffey77 10-29-2003 07:22 PM

I'd do that deal if I was Detroit.

He is a huge head case though. Would he wake up in Detroit or continue sulking? Also consider Detroit would have to open up offensively (at least when Jagr is on the ice) and give him prime time minutes. The latter isn't a problem since guys like Devereaux and Williams are barely getting 8 minutes a night.

Plus that huge contract. Ugh.

There are positives with adding him though. 5 on 5 play has got to get better and Jagr doesn't require an elite center on his line. Even a moody Jagr is still a point a game player.

Motown Beatdown 10-30-2003 02:54 AM

I wouldn't do it. Without knowing what the next CBA will look like, it's to big of a risk for the Wings. Cujo can always be bought out. Cujo has 16 million owed to him, Jagr has 55 million (or 44)

Holland has a tough situation on his hands with Cujo. But no worse than the Caps have with Jagr.

Also, i really believe PL is set on going with Abby in net. If he makes a trade for a goalie, it will be around the trade deadline. So if the Caps cant find a taker for Kolzig, forget any Cujo for Jagr rumors.