HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   It's better if we stay where we are or even drop to 6th (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=239598)

swflyers8* 04-08-2006 08:56 PM

It's better if we stay where we are or even drop to 6th

We seem to be a better team on the road. If we stay in 5th, we start in Buffalo in their building. They are sort of out of sorts right now and it's the perfect time to play them obviously. If we were to drop to 6th, we would start against the Rangers up there. Out of 4 games, we won 3 up there. I absolutely freaking hate that we lost tonight but maybe starting on the road is better for this team.

I just don't know if the way the crowd acts towards the team during home games is having an effect. Our crowd isn't the same crowd as year's past. They don't cheer as vehemently as they used to. They let every little thing a team does suck the life out of the building. IMO, I think the crowd is affecting the way this team plays here.

To be honest, I say screw it, let's start these playoffs on the road.

Roger's Pancreas* 04-08-2006 09:06 PM

I don't think it really matters because the EC is just a cluster **** right now. We have the Sens riddled with injury, the slumping Sabres, the New York Jagr, the offensively inept Devils, and some other nobodies. Each team in the Eastern Conference is going to be looking at some tough competition since there really isn't that elite team right now.

swflyers8* 04-08-2006 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
I don't think it really matters because the EC is just a cluster **** right now. We have the Sens riddled with injury, the slumping Sabres, the New York Jagr, the offensively inept Devils, and some other nobodies. Each team in the Eastern Conference is going to be looking at some tough competition since there really isn't that elite team right now.

I agree, but for some reason, the Flyers seem to play better on the road.

swflyers8* 04-08-2006 09:45 PM

Even the captain agrees:

"We seem to be a better team on the road right now. There could be a ton of reasons why. Itís up to us to figure it out." - Derian Hatcher, 4/8, after the 5-2 loss to Toronto

BobbyClarkeFan16 04-08-2006 09:52 PM

so much for that swagger Hitch was talking about before going into the playoffs. Pathetic display this evening. I watched the game at work and turned it off halfway through the first period.

ShawnTHW 04-08-2006 10:08 PM

I have this feeling that we may just beat the Rnagers if we drop to 6th or beat the Sabres, but its gonna be the second round that we lose it. Its just a feeling I have.
I dont know whats going on anymore. :shakehead

MiamiScreamingEagles 04-08-2006 10:33 PM

It seems every day the lineup changes. I am not even sure who to root for tomorrow: Rangers or Devils. Who knows at this point who will be healthy when the playoffs commence.

TheKingPin 04-08-2006 10:53 PM

We could very easily drop to 6th if the devils beat us the next two games that we play. I agree though playing on the road would be good for this team. Thing is though id like to play at home in the first round because that would mean that we were playing well going into the playoffs. I have confidence in this team as they are always able to step it up when the big games come like Ottawa or Buffalo last night. Either way though, if we stay healthy we are going to the Stanley Cup Finals. There is no team in the East that will have the chance to beat us in the best of seve. Tampa only and they will be out in the first round, or second either way we will not paly them.

dedalus 04-09-2006 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyersphan
I have confidence in this team as they are always able to step it up when the big games come like Ottawa or Buffalo last night.

The Flyers definitely have the ability to step it up for a big game. Their problem is sustaining that intensity. Can they maintain it over a series? Can they maintain it over several series against top competition?

Maybe but they've yet to show that this year, and the statement "if they stay healthy" is problematic. They've got a fair number of brittle players so one has to wonder if they have the ability to stay healthy, expecially when the games are about to get more physical.

No one rules the East this year. I'd say there are five teams that are fully capable of going to the Finals this year, and the Flyers are one of them. Still, at the beginning of this season I had the Flyers as the favorite to come out of the East. Right now I just don't see it anymore.

MountainHawk 04-09-2006 09:50 AM

If Forsberg battles through injuries in the postseason the way he always did for Colorado and puts up numbers, the Flyers are right there with the Sens and Rangers as teams that have a good shot at winning the East. I think Carolina is probably a SLIGHT favorite at this point, but even they look somewhat vulnerable since Cole went down.

Pantokrator 04-09-2006 10:09 AM

I want to stay in the 4th, 5th, or 6th position. I think there is no way the Flyers beat the Canes, so I definitely dont want to finish 7th.

MountainHawk 04-09-2006 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantokrator
I want to stay in the 4th, 5th, or 6th position. I think there is no way the Flyers beat the Canes, so I definitely dont want to finish 7th.

Agreed. Carolina is the one team I want no part of in the postseason. I have more faith in getting past Tampa.

capn89* 04-09-2006 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungryforHockey25
I just don't know if the way the crowd acts towards the team during home games is having an effect. Our crowd isn't the same crowd as year's past. They don't cheer as vehemently as they used to. They let every little thing a team does suck the life out of the building. IMO, I think the crowd is affecting the way this team plays here.

There's a simple response to this; People are tired. This team has been a "cup contender" for at least the last decade and all these over hyped millionaires have won is... hmm, nothing. Been to the Finals once and were embarrassed by a far superior team in Detroit. Fans want something. I was at the Flyers/Leafs game at the end of March and it's REALLY hard to be into the game as a fan when your team gets the first 4 shots of the game, and then can't put another puck on net for the rest of the f-ing period. Blame the fans all you want, they use their hard earned cash to watch these travesties, the players are paid to perform. It's not a fans responsibility to play with some heart. If the players give the crowd something to cheer about, they will.

priceperlb* 04-09-2006 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capn89
There's a simple response to this; People are tired. This team has been a "cup contender" for at least the last decade and all these over hyped millionaires have won is... hmm, nothing. Been to the Finals once and were embarrassed by a far superior team in Detroit. Fans want something. I was at the Flyers/Leafs game at the end of March and it's REALLY hard to be into the game as a fan when your team gets the first 4 shots of the game, and then can't put another puck on net for the rest of the f-ing period. Blame the fans all you want, they use their hard earned cash to watch these travesties, the players are paid to perform. It's not a fans responsibility to play with some heart. If the players give the crowd something to cheer about, they will.

Quoted for emphasis. If the Flyers didn't pout after a goal against the fans would do nothing but cheer.

I was slammed, then banned (banned, not even a warning, banned), and slammed some more from the start of the season for saying Hatcher and Rathje suck. Their reputations and experience made them more than just veteran players, but leaders. They, unfortunately, are very lazy and it affects everybody else. All those one goal wins early in the season were wins despite their play not because of it. The offense had to do extra work in both ends just to get one goal wins. No wonder they're tired. No wonder the effort guys have rotated in and out of the line-up while those two have played almost every game. I don't know how Knuble has managed to stay healthy.

Hopefully they can be dumped in favor of guys who actually like to play hockey. If Primeau can't come back next year, anyone, besides me, for getting Sundin?

BobbyClarkeFan16 04-09-2006 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by priceperlb
Quoted for emphasis. If the Flyers didn't pout after a goal against the fans would do nothing but cheer.

I was slammed, then banned (banned, not even a warning, banned), and slammed some more from the start of the season for saying Hatcher and Rathje suck. Their reputations and experience made them more than just veteran players, but leaders. They, unfortunately, are very lazy and it affects everybody else. All those one goal wins early in the season were wins despite their play not because of it. The offense had to do extra work in both ends just to get one goal wins. No wonder they're tired. No wonder the effort guys have rotated in and out of the line-up while those two have played almost every game. I don't know how Knuble has managed to stay healthy.

Hopefully they can be dumped in favor of guys who actually like to play hockey. If Primeau can't come back next year, anyone, besides me, for getting Sundin?

As much as I like Sundin, I'd say no. Simply put, we have Richards, Carter, Umberger, Potulny, Forsberg, and Handzus who can all play the pivot spot. It's a given that Umberger will remain on the wing, but it looks like Potulny will be a centerman for this team.

We just don't have the ice time right now to give. If Sundin comes to the team, there's no way that Hitch would move him to the wing and someone like Carter would have their ice time cut back. Not a good thing at all. Carter will be ready next season for 16+ minutes a night. Add that to the 16+ Richards already gets and the 20+ that Forsberg gets and that leaves a whopping 8 minutes a night. So, you know that if that's the scenario, Handzus will be moved to the wing and that 8 minutes will probably go to Potulny, or if he's sent to the Phantoms, it will go to someone else.

I'd rather the see the team refocus on trying to balance out the lines and cut some salary. I think it's a given that if Nedved doesn't move to the wing, he'll be gone. I don't know about Kapanen and what he plans on doing next season, but if he were to call it a day, it wouldn't surprise me at all. Brash should be gone, Savage should be gone, and Radiojevic might be sent packing as well. That gives this team an innate opportunity to really try some line juggling.

One of the things I've suggested is to have someone like Eager play on a line with Forsberg and Gagne. He can add an element of physicality and might keep opposition honest in terms of the abuse Gagne and Forsberg take. That has to be the biggest need this team has to address this offseason. While Knuble might be a good player, he really doesn't hold anyone accountable for the liberties they take with Gagne and Forsberg. Eager would change that. Also, Eager is a great skater and a great checker. He would open up ice and lane ways for Forsberg and Gagne to do their magic and Eager might pop in a goal or 20 playing on that line.

I'd drop Knuble to a line with Richards and Handzus. I'd then try Nedved on the wing with Carter and Umberger. As for the fourth line, Ellison/Dimitrakos/Potulny? might be the last pairing.

What this team needs more than anything though is a leader. Hatcher is not a leader. He might be able to repeat Hitch's words and ideas to everyone, but he isn't a leader. Primeau would at least stand up to Hitch and tell him how it was (even Hitch said he didn't like what Primeau would tell him, but respected him for being honest). Hatcher is sneaky, underhanded, and has created an environment previously in Dallas that lead to the demise of Hitch. As much as I hate Hitch, no coach should ever lose his job to a mutiny. Hatcher lead that mutiny. That's all what needs to be said about him.

Hopefully we can find a way to unload Hatcher this offseason. I think it's a given KJ and ED will probably be elsewhere next season, which means we're going to be making a run at some free agent. I'm thinking Clarke might see about what it would take to acquire the services of someone like Ed Jovanovski or Brad Stuart. Either would be a great fit in Philadelphia.

I think we might have expected too much from the team this year, but next year, with an additional season under the belts of the rookies, we should see a much greater improvement in terms of being consistent and not the usual one step forward, one step back movement this team has taken.

Either way, if we don't win the Stanley Cup this year, I won't be too disappointed. It's clear that some of the moves that were made backfired, but hindsight is always 20/20 after all is said and done.

Pantokrator 04-09-2006 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16

One of the things I've suggested is to have someone like Eager play on a line with Forsberg and Gagne. He can add an element of physicality and might keep opposition honest in terms of the abuse Gagne and Forsberg take. That has to be the biggest need this team has to address this offseason. While Knuble might be a good player, he really doesn't hold anyone accountable for the liberties they take with Gagne and Forsberg. Eager would change that. Also, Eager is a great skater and a great checker. He would open up ice and lane ways for Forsberg and Gagne to do their magic and Eager might pop in a goal or 20 playing on that line.

I'd drop Knuble to a line with Richards and Handzus. I'd then try Nedved on the wing with Carter and Umberger. As for the fourth line, Ellison/Dimitrakos/Potulny? might be the last pairing.

I'd like to see Eager on that line. i think it's a good idea. Create room, check some people. I wouldn't mind seeing Downie on that line next year, should he make the team.

Gert B Frobe 04-09-2006 05:33 PM

Quote:

We seem to be a better team on the road. If we stay in 5th, we start in Buffalo in their building. They are sort of out of sorts right now and it's the perfect time to play them obviously. If we were to drop to 6th, we would start against the Rangers up there. Out of 4 games, we won 3 up there. I absolutely freaking hate that we lost tonight but maybe starting on the road is better for this team.

To be honest, I say screw it, let's start these playoffs on the road.

I think the Flyers have an easier time getting charged up for road games because the crowds out of town are way more into the game than they are in Philly. I've been to 4 games this year and that place is QUIET. People just sit on their hands. Nobody gets into the "let's go Flyers!" chant anymore. I know things change during the playoffs but that building is so big and full of boxes etc. it's like a big concert hall with bad acoustics.

People in Philly are passionate about this team but they definitely don't act like it at the games.

MojoJojo 04-09-2006 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountaineer
I think the Flyers have an easier time getting charged up for road games because the crowds out of town are way more into the game than they are in Philly. I've been to 4 games this year and that place is QUIET. People just sit on their hands. Nobody gets into the "let's go Flyers!" chant anymore. I know things change during the playoffs but that building is so big and full of boxes etc. it's like a big concert hall with bad acoustics.

Wow, I totally disagree. Every Flyers game I've been to the crowd has been into it.

Gert B Frobe 04-09-2006 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MojoJojo
Wow, I totally disagree. Every Flyers game I've been to the crowd has been into it.

Sadly, I have been to four straight losses... :cry:

swflyers8* 04-09-2006 11:14 PM

Quote:

Maybe years past but not this year. We were good in the beginning of the year but now, it's embarrassing. One goal just sucks the life out of the place. Everyone goes quiet. It's like a tomb. That can't be comforting to the players. In 03-04 when I went to a Devils-Flyers game, we got shut out 3-0 I think. The crowd was still in it and cheering them on. Now, even if we get the lead, we are quiet. If I am the Flyers I would just prepare to open on the road and I think it will help them. If we play in Buffalo, we are still going to have fans there and same in New York. Home ice just isn't working for this team anymore.

BringBackStevens 04-10-2006 12:36 AM

i dont think the play at home has anything to do with the crowd. these guys are professionals

priceperlb* 04-10-2006 09:24 AM

I'd say the players have more to do with the crowd than the crowd has with the players. They seem to go quiet after one goal because the players don't respond to the challenge and fans see that.

My thinking about Sundin is especially his faceoff ability, but he has a lot more left in his game than just that. He's older now so a one or two year contract would be the most I would want him for. It's also assuming Primeau doesn't come back. He might bring some leadership that Hatcher clearly doesn't possess and it's too early to give it to one of the young guys. Nobody else is really deserving or qualified. Not everybody can be an effective captain. I haven't looked at line combos, but the passing and shooting ability of the top two lines with him and Forsberg would be beautiful.

TheKingPin 04-10-2006 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by priceperlb
I'd say the players have more to do with the crowd than the crowd has with the players. They seem to go quiet after one goal because the players don't respond to the challenge and fans see that.

My thinking about Sundin is especially his faceoff ability, but he has a lot more left in his game than just that. He's older now so a one or two year contract would be the most I would want him for. It's also assuming Primeau doesn't come back. He might bring some leadership that Hatcher clearly doesn't possess and it's too early to give it to one of the young guys. Nobody else is really deserving or qualified. Not everybody can be an effective captain. I haven't looked at line combos, but the passing and shooting ability of the top two lines with him and Forsberg would be beautiful.

Yea i think a line of Forsberg, Gagne, Sundin would be nice even if Primeau comes back.

FlyersFanJS 04-10-2006 10:29 AM

Quote:

Maybe years past but not this year. We were good in the beginning of the year but now, it's embarrassing. One goal just sucks the life out of the place. Everyone goes quiet. It's like a tomb. That can't be comforting to the players. In 03-04 when I went to a Devils-Flyers game, we got shut out 3-0 I think. The crowd was still in it and cheering them on. Now, even if we get the lead, we are quiet. If I am the Flyers I would just prepare to open on the road and I think it will help them. If we play in Buffalo, we are still going to have fans there and same in New York. Home ice just isn't working for this team anymore.

can't say anything about the crowd as i have yet to be to a game this year :cry:

BUT, i have noticed just from watching on tv and listening on the radio, one goal against sucks the life out of the team...they go down 1-0 and all of a sudden they throw in the towel and just give up...maybe if they played with more energy the crowd would be more into it, or maybe they respond poorly to no crowd noise...chicken or egg? :dunno:

priceperlb* 04-11-2006 08:20 AM

They respond to no cheering for them on the road.

Their first priority is to win a game not entertain. If they play hard the crowd is entertained and into it. A home crowd gives them the juice later in the game. These guys pout in the first period.

Even entertainers have to give a crowd something to be excited about. If a comedian or musician give up after the first joke or song because they didn't get the response they hoped for the rest of the show will suck and the crowd will never be on their side. so these guys need to step it up. Make the hits, complete the passes, stop the other team from entering the zone. Something to show the fans they are trying to win and the fans will respond.