HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Is this THE most inconsistant Flyers team ever? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=239710)

capn89* 04-09-2006 11:14 AM

Is this THE most inconsistant Flyers team ever?

I've only been a Flyers fan since the early/mid 90's (mostly due to age ;p) but I've not seen a Flyers club that played so damned inconsistant. You never know which team is going to hit the ice... which makes me wonder if there is some weird conspiracy where aliens from the planet Zecktoid 4 are abducting the Philadelphia Flyers and replacing them at random times with a team called the Philadelphia Floaters, which would explain why they play like ****. It would also explain a lot of the groin injuries because I've been abducted once and they do some pretty f-ed up experiments. Who knows. :dunno:

MiamiScreamingEagles 04-09-2006 11:39 AM

It is right up there if not at the top of the list.

The 1988-89 team, Paul Holmgren's first season as head coach, was another that comes to mind. They went to the Conference Finals in a herky-jerky way but they seemed to be one of those "just when you had them figured out squads..."

Going back to some of the early 1980's teams, too, you never knew what was going to happen but that was due mostly to inconsistent goaltending and a collection of d-men that for various reasons were subpar units.

BringBackStevens 04-09-2006 12:40 PM

one of the most inconsistant ive seen. its a shame too, since i think the talent on this team is enough to go far but not with the shoddy efforts they put out so often

TheKingPin 04-09-2006 02:48 PM

it seems like they have effort for games against difficult teams. We should be fine as i think they will have a solid effort in the playoffs.

GKJ 04-09-2006 03:19 PM

They are the most inconsistent team since the return of Bobby Clarke.

BobbyClarkeFan16 04-09-2006 03:25 PM

Definitely. However, I'm also going to give them the benefit of the doubt because of several reasons. First is the amount of injuries this team has had to endure. I've never seen anything like it, other than L.A. back in the 2003-2004 season. Injuries have been off the wall this year, especially groin injuries. I'm going to hold the training team accountable for that though.

Second thing where there's some inconsistency is the fact that we're using a large number of first year players in the lineup. I can't think of any other team right now that has a minimum of four first year players in the lineup. There's bound to be some growing pains, but under the circumstances, our young players have performed really well. Wait until year two to see the youngsters.

The third is chemistry. Clarke went wild in the offseason with regards to signings. We changed the team too much. We didn't need Hatcher or Rathje, yet they were signed. We sent Markov packing, neither Malakhov or Zhamnov were resigned, Recchi was gone after the 03-04 season, Leclair and Amonte were waived and Roenick was traded. That's a lot of turnover. Yes, some of it was designed by nature, but to not think that that kind of turnover wouldn't impact the team in one form or another can't be denied.

The last is leadership. After Primeau went down, nobody has stepped up to fill the void created by his absence. Hatcher is a joke when it comes to leadership and his "direction" has been abhorent at best. The man is a piece of crap, and that's being nice. I wish they'd fire his *** out of Philadelphia, and never to return. The biggest waste of three and a half million dollars a year (Rathje is a close second though). So, the Flyers have kind of reaped what they've sewn by placing the C on Hatcher. He's been detrimental to the organization (can you tell that I don't like Hatcher).

I'm willing to give Hitch another year to see what he can do with this team because it will be interesting to see how they do when they're healthy and when the players like Carter, Richards, Umberger, and Meyer all have that first season under their belts. I don't know about anyone else on here, but I'm expecting huge contributions from them in season 2. If in season 2 they don't deliver or aren't given an opportunity to deliver, then it's time address the possibility of changing the coaching staff.

FlyersFanJS 04-09-2006 04:32 PM

i can't think of a single team in any sport that can be so amazing or so crappy over the course of a single game

GKJ 04-09-2006 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
I can't think of any other team right now that has a minimum of four first year players in the lineup.

I can. Buffalo. Anaheim too. San Jose. All teams playing well.

MojoJojo 04-09-2006 07:00 PM

I have to agree. Every year the Flyers get hot and cold, but this year has been like no other. Injuries dont account for it either because some of their best hockey was played when half the team was injured.

goodrev 04-09-2006 07:51 PM

honestly half the nights they look like they want it, the other half they look like they flat out dont, its not a matter of incosistency its a matter of some nights they put forth a good effort and most nights they dont, they show us what they CAN do and then go back and do what they always do.

As for the poster above who was talking about team chemistry? letting Leclair, Amonte, Roenick go was the best thing clarke has done for this team besides the fact that it was an absolute necessity under the new cap, they are all underachievers who are overpaid (amonte 35 pts playing on jerome iginla's line, leclair has 46 with only 20 goals, and Roenick when he hasnt been sucking on the ice has been on vacation off the ice, he was so bad that when he had a simple injury earlier in the season the kings put him in injured reserve just so they didnt have to pay him, getting future considerations for him was a steal. Clarke improved this team greatly and the only signing i think they didnt need was Rathje, and the biggest waste of space savage who came later. markov i would have like to see stay but he has been injured all season and would have been a nice addition to our man games lost number, zhamnov has been awful and boston is allready talking about buying him out in the offseason, and malakhov was so mediocre that when new jersey heard he was taking some personal time to go home they told the media he retired even though he didnt, so they forced him into retirement. so honestly i dont regret one second of this offseason besides the signing of rathje and savage... recchi would have been nice too

DeleteThisAccount 04-09-2006 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodrev
its not a matter of incosistency its a matter of some nights they put forth a good effort and most nights they dont

Also known as... inconsistency.

FlyersFanJS 04-09-2006 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battousai
Also known as... inconsistency.

i think he's referring to the fact that it's not a matter of consistency in talent or level of play but the amount of effort they put into a game

Lupul* 04-09-2006 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersFanJS
i think he's referring to the fact that it's not a matter of consistency in talent or level of play but the amount of effort they put into a game

Yeah, and the amount of effort is inconsistent. ;)

BobbyClarkeFan16 04-10-2006 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodrev
honestly half the nights they look like they want it, the other half they look like they flat out dont, its not a matter of incosistency its a matter of some nights they put forth a good effort and most nights they dont, they show us what they CAN do and then go back and do what they always do.

As for the poster above who was talking about team chemistry? letting Leclair, Amonte, Roenick go was the best thing clarke has done for this team besides the fact that it was an absolute necessity under the new cap, they are all underachievers who are overpaid (amonte 35 pts playing on jerome iginla's line, leclair has 46 with only 20 goals, and Roenick when he hasnt been sucking on the ice has been on vacation off the ice, he was so bad that when he had a simple injury earlier in the season the kings put him in injured reserve just so they didnt have to pay him, getting future considerations for him was a steal. Clarke improved this team greatly and the only signing i think they didnt need was Rathje, and the biggest waste of space savage who came later. markov i would have like to see stay but he has been injured all season and would have been a nice addition to our man games lost number, zhamnov has been awful and boston is allready talking about buying him out in the offseason, and malakhov was so mediocre that when new jersey heard he was taking some personal time to go home they told the media he retired even though he didnt, so they forced him into retirement. so honestly i dont regret one second of this offseason besides the signing of rathje and savage... recchi would have been nice too

I won't ever question that the team has better players than what they let go. However, anyway you look at it, that's a big turnover. That's the point that I was trying to make. You just can't have a turnover of like 8 to 9 players and then think that having 8 to 9 new players step in and learn a new system in a short period of time will be great for the team. That's the point I was trying to make. These players who Clarke sent packing all knew what their roles were in the Hitch scheme of things. That's why everything fit like a glove. However, you replace all those guys who knew what their roles were with people who don't know what their roles are supposed to be and Hitch trying to determine what role would be effective for each one, then yeah, there's gonna be some inconsistency.

Like I said, I'm willing to give everyone another year. Now that everyone who is going to be here for the long haul has had one year in the system, then expectations will be high for next year. If things don't get better and the team is as inconsistent as they are this year, then I think it's time to start looking at replacing the coaching staff.

Hey, you ask Jester or Mikedffr and they will tell you I'm as Anti-Hitch as you can get. However, I'm going to give Hitch and the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt on this year. However, I think all of us can agree that next year, our special teams have to improve dramatically if we really expect to have any chance of winning the Stanley Cup. Our special teams are a down right disaster and that needs to be corrected next year.

Jester 04-10-2006 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
Hey, you ask Jester or Mikedffr and they will tell you I'm as Anti-Hitch as you can get. However, I'm going to give Hitch and the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt on this year. However, I think all of us can agree that next year, our special teams have to improve dramatically if we really expect to have any chance of winning the Stanley Cup. Our special teams are a down right disaster and that needs to be corrected next year.

the lack of KJ is killing us on Special Teams... just killing us. we need him DESPERATELY on the PK because he's so smart once he gets control of the puck, which is our number one problem on the PK right now, the defense is turning the puck over way to much when trying to clear it (i'm looking at you Hatcher and Rathje). we actually do a decent job of getting the puck from the offense on the PK, but we have too many bad plays trying to get the puck out of the zone, which leads to us being out of position and goals getting scored... Pitkanen is guilty of this as well. the only "calm" dman we have on the puck in the defensive zone right now is Rico, and that isn't enough. Pitkanen will obviously improve in this regard, but he is definitely guilty of rushing his play in our own zone at times... and Hatcher, Rathje, and Gauthier, simply put, are not the guys you want making decisions with the puck... you want them getting the puck and giving it to someone else...

our PP has been fine when Forsberg and Pitkanen are both in the lineup... we get a little out of sorts when Forsberg isn't around when in the zone, but it looks to me like the rookies are starting to figure out the PP at the NHL level. the Carter/Umberger/Richards unit has had some real nice possessions in the last few games on the PP... and Carter is clearly getting more confident with that shot. as much of a debacle as the Toronto game was there was a very very good sign that everyone should have taken from that game...

the best line on the ice, for either team, was the Umberger/Carter/Dime line. if they can maintain that level of play and we get a healthy Forsberg and Nedved for t he playoffs (big big if), we'll be a very tough team to handle at even strength.

FlyersFanJS 04-10-2006 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicto10
Yeah, and the amount of effort is inconsistent. ;)

alright, fair enough :)

ShawnTHW 04-10-2006 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capn89
I've only been a Flyers fan since the early/mid 90's (mostly due to age ;p) but I've not seen a Flyers club that played so damned inconsistant. You never know which team is going to hit the ice... which makes me wonder if there is some weird conspiracy where aliens from the planet Zecktoid 4 are abducting the Philadelphia Flyers and replacing them at random times with a team called the Philadelphia Floaters, which would explain why they play like ****. It would also explain a lot of the groin injuries because I've been abducted once and they do some pretty f-ed up experiments. Who knows. :dunno:

Ok Mr. Trekkie

DXFlyers 04-10-2006 12:47 PM

Lately, we are very incosistant. During the middle of the season, we were standing with one leg with so many injuires. I think the Flyers will get their ---- together. And Niitty is going to shine in the Playoffs.

GKJ 04-10-2006 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DXFlyers
And Niitty is going to shine in the Playoffs.

for that to happen, Niitty is going to have to actually play in the playoffs. Right now Esche is the #1

DXFlyers 04-10-2006 12:58 PM

There is no #1. Last week it sounded like Esche concided the starting job to Niitty. Niitty lost to Toronto (but apparently we cant figure out beating them). I firmly believe based on the AHL Playoffs & Olympics, Niitty will get the starting job. He is a phenom on pressure and playoff type of play. Esche does not have enough confidence for the playoff job. If the 1st round opponent is NJ, Niitty will get the call. If its Buffalo, Esche might get the nod. Who knows?

Jester 04-10-2006 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DXFlyers
There is no #1. Last week it sounded like Esche concided the starting job to Niitty. Niitty lost to Toronto (but apparently we cant figure out beating them). I firmly believe based on the AHL Playoffs & Olympics, Niitty will get the starting job. He is a phenom on pressure and playoff type of play. Esche does not have enough confidence for the playoff job. If the 1st round opponent is NJ, Niitty will get the call. If its Buffalo, Esche might get the nod. Who knows?

NHL Playoffs and World Cup Esche thrived under the pressure... Esche is a über competitive individual, which is a big factor for why i believe he's a viable playoff option. our problems are in front of the goalies and the breakdowns that happen out there much more than what is happening between the pipes.

FlyersFanJS 04-10-2006 01:33 PM

esche is the better option right now i think

MojoJojo 04-10-2006 01:36 PM

Quote:

esche is the better option right now i think

For me its a coin toss. After the Olympics I thoght Nitty for sure, but Esche is starting to look like he did in 03/04. Nitty is clearly the more talented of the two, but is still a bit green and has been even more inconsistent than Esche.

FlyersFanJS 04-10-2006 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MojoJojo
For me its a coin toss. After the Olympics I thoght Nitty for sure, but Esche is starting to look like he did in 03/04. Nitty is clearly the more talented of the two, but is still a bit green and has been even more inconsistent than Esche.

i think the idea of niitty getting the starting job pissed esche off and lit a fire under him...i think we are going to the best esche can bring in the next few games and the playoffs

BobbyClarkeFan16 04-10-2006 03:58 PM

Quote:

i think the idea of niitty getting the starting job pissed esche off and lit a fire under him...i think we are going to the best esche can bring in the next few games and the playoffs

Agreed. Esche has been really hot as of late. If the team can find a way to build off that momentum Esche has been gaining, we can really do some damage.

I just hope that for the rest of the season, they really start focusing on the PK. I agree with Jester when he says that we really miss KJ back there during the kill. Other than Pitkanen, nobody else on the team can move the puck the way KJ does. The other thing I'd like to see change on the PK is the way it is currently being played. Right now, our PK is more of a passive approach. They need to become more aggressive and to really collapse down low to prevent rebounds being whacked at by someone standing in the crease.