HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   10 Game report (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=24146)

Guy! 10-30-2003 12:35 PM

10 Game report

I fully intend to do a 10 game report every 10 games (duh :) ) to document what I see as the improvements, or failings, of our players and the team as a whole. This here is my first installment, which, I have to say, was looking good until the last three games. Since you see where my thoughts are game by game, these reports will be short and to the point, I won't give more scouting reports, merely mention where I think the players and team are.

First the team, the most important part. After game one, everyone bought into the system while we jumped out and move to 5-2. Our second loss was a 1-0 loss to the Buds, but the system was almost flawless. Unfortunately, following our fifth win, the system was tossed out in favour of indivudual play and lesser efforts. Getting the puck out of the zone, a simple pair of passes in the system, became a chore because forwards ceased to help out. Furthermore, defensively we are running around uselessly instead of going to our assigned areas. Hopefully game 11 against the Bruins will be an improvement.

Theo: Started well, but dropped off when he lost rebound control and some positioning. Pucks don't hit him like they do when he's in the groove.

Garon: The better of the two 'tenders at this moment in time. He's making the pucks hit him more often, plus he's helping out his defenders far more than he ever did in the past.

Bouillon: Some improvement, but you can't expect more. He's moving the puck well, but his size prevents exemplary coverage.

Hainsey: Rookie errors. But an overall improvement in his game is nice to see. He should get more and more time as the season progresses.

Brisebois: When he sticks to the basics, he's wonderful. When he tries to do too much, he's disastrous. Let's pray for the former.

Quintal: Started slow and came on, but seems to have lost a step this year. Positioning will save him, but in the last two, that's been off.

Souray: Inconsistent to say the least. When he's on, he's *on*. When he's off, he's running around uselessly. Still, his commitment to the system has been better than anyone defensively except Markov.

Rivet: Too much skating, not enough coverage. Instead of chasing the puck, he has to become proactive. He's been caught too many times down low.

Markov: Steadily improving still. Positioning this year is even better than last, and as he integrates his fine offensive game, which he started last game, he'll become even better.

Langdon: Nice fight. Keep working and don't get beat because of a lack of adherence to the system.

Begin: He knows what he needs to do and does it every night.

Ward: Works hard, but does tend to overpursue at times. Needs to stay within himself to be successful.

Sundstrom: Confidence is gone, though I don't know how he'll get it back, since as injured players come back, he'll be relagated to the press box - or Hamilton.

Juneau: Strong defence and adherence to the system has saved us immesurably this year. Without his play, I think our record would be significantly lower.

Dackell: You know what you're getting with him, and that's just fine. His chemistry with Juneau and Bulis keeps him where he is.

Bulis: Even better this year than last. When he finally gets one, I can see them starting to just tumble in the net for him. A revelation defensively.

Ryder: Wonderful rookie entrance to the NHL. He's playing on a dog line and making the most of it. Offensive instincts have been superb.

Perreault: He scored early and often then everything fell apart. One good defensive game, but the rest have been putrid.

Audette: Might as well not be there. His one goal was a result of terrible goaltending and he's brought nothing else to the table.

Hossa: Consistent improvement game to game leaves me with the warm fuzzies. As his confidence grows, so too will his production.

Ribeiro: Against small teams he's fine, the big ones kill him. His last three have been peripheral games.

Zednik: Slow start, and didn't get much better 'til last game. He needs to get to the net and take the punishment to score.

A 5-5 start is still probably better than most expected, so I think we'll just take it and run. Our losses were all against teams that we're not expected to compete for a playoff position against, so that's works just fine. The key is that we won all those games we really needed to win. If we can steal a few others against the Sens, Phillys and Boston's of the league, that's gravy.

A concerned fan.

Darz 10-30-2003 12:45 PM

Good report Guy. I might disagree with ya on a few small items but the overall jist imo is bang on.
5-5 in our first 10 without Koivu isn't too bad. Our losses can be blamed more opon the breakdown of our system than anything. The proof to that is the fact we are perfect when scoring first, and 0-5 when allowing the 1st goal.
Without Koivu this team will have to work hard and play smart hockey to beat almost every opponent this year, and even with Koivu we will ganish very few points without giving a 100% effort and following the system closely.

There are bright spots and hopefully more on the way as the season progresses.

Corey 10-30-2003 12:45 PM

Like Ribeiro, the team doesn't do much against big teams.

VAN-HAB 10-30-2003 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy!
I fully intend to do a 10 game report every 10 games (duh :) ) to document what I see as the improvements, or failings, of our players and the team as a whole. This here is my first installment, which, I have to say, was looking good until the last three games. Since you see where my thoughts are game by game, these reports will be short and to the point, I won't give more scouting reports, merely mention where I think the players and team are.

First the team, the most important part. After game one, everyone bought into the system while we jumped out and move to 5-2. Our second loss was a 1-0 loss to the Buds, but the system was almost flawless. Unfortunately, following our fifth win, the system was tossed out in favour of indivudual play and lesser efforts. Getting the puck out of the zone, a simple pair of passes in the system, became a chore because forwards ceased to help out. Furthermore, defensively we are running around uselessly instead of going to our assigned areas. Hopefully game 11 against the Bruins will be an improvement.

Theo: Started well, but dropped off when he lost rebound control and some positioning. Pucks don't hit him like they do when he's in the groove.

Garon: The better of the two 'tenders at this moment in time. He's making the pucks hit him more often, plus he's helping out his defenders far more than he ever did in the past.

Bouillon: Some improvement, but you can't expect more. He's moving the puck well, but his size prevents exemplary coverage.

Hainsey: Rookie errors. But an overall improvement in his game is nice to see. He should get more and more time as the season progresses.

Brisebois: When he sticks to the basics, he's wonderful. When he tries to do too much, he's disastrous. Let's pray for the former.

Quintal: Started slow and came on, but seems to have lost a step this year. Positioning will save him, but in the last two, that's been off.

Souray: Inconsistent to say the least. When he's on, he's *on*. When he's off, he's running around uselessly. Still, his commitment to the system has been better than anyone defensively except Markov.

Rivet: Too much skating, not enough coverage. Instead of chasing the puck, he has to become proactive. He's been caught too many times down low.

Markov: Steadily improving still. Positioning this year is even better than last, and as he integrates his fine offensive game, which he started last game, he'll become even better.

Langdon: Nice fight. Keep working and don't get beat because of a lack of adherence to the system.

Begin: He knows what he needs to do and does it every night.

Ward: Works hard, but does tend to overpursue at times. Needs to stay within himself to be successful.

Sundstrom: Confidence is gone, though I don't know how he'll get it back, since as injured players come back, he'll be relagated to the press box - or Hamilton.

Juneau: Strong defence and adherence to the system has saved us immesurably this year. Without his play, I think our record would be significantly lower.

Dackell: You know what you're getting with him, and that's just fine. His chemistry with Juneau and Bulis keeps him where he is.

Bulis: Even better this year than last. When he finally gets one, I can see them starting to just tumble in the net for him. A revelation defensively.

Ryder: Wonderful rookie entrance to the NHL. He's playing on a dog line and making the most of it. Offensive instincts have been superb.

Perreault: He scored early and often then everything fell apart. One good defensive game, but the rest have been putrid.

Audette: Might as well not be there. His one goal was a result of terrible goaltending and he's brought nothing else to the table.

Hossa: Consistent improvement game to game leaves me with the warm fuzzies. As his confidence grows, so too will his production.

Ribeiro: Against small teams he's fine, the big ones kill him. His last three have been peripheral games.

Zednik: Slow start, and didn't get much better 'til last game. He needs to get to the net and take the punishment to score.

A 5-5 start is still probably better than most expected, so I think we'll just take it and run. Our losses were all against teams that we're not expected to compete for a playoff position against, so that's works just fine. The key is that we won all those games we really needed to win. If we can steal a few others against the Sens, Phillys and Boston's of the league, that's gravy.

A concerned fan.

every coach in the league knows Julien's defensive system by know, easy to be neutralized and win games.

Garnet 10-30-2003 01:29 PM

Bulis and Hossa

I like these two the best so far this season. Neither have gotten many points so far but the effort is there. Once Koivu cames back and if Bulis gets on his line look out. Hossa I thought played his best game agianst Boston. Once Zednik moved off the line Hossa was charging the net and getting chances. Hit the side of the net and Potvin robbed him on another.

I feel a trade coming thou and Perreault may be gone with probably anothe defenseman. I would like to see

Bulis Koivu Zednik
Hossa Riberio Ryder
Kilger Juneau Dackel
Langdon Begin Ward

Ryder can play all forward positions and will help Hossa create space for Riberio. Its a kid line thou and that may be a problem.

FTK 10-30-2003 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VAN-HAB
every coach in the league knows Julien's defensive system by know, easy to be neutralized and win games.

the Ducks and the Devils were something like 10-0 when scoring the first goal when they reached the finals. That's the way the system works....That's why a game winning goal in a 6-1 victory is still a feat.

doc lafleur 10-30-2003 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garnet
I like these two the best so far this season. Neither have gotten many points so far but the effort is there. Once Koivu cames back and if Bulis gets on his line look out. Hossa I thought played his best game agianst Boston. Once Zednik moved off the line Hossa was charging the net and getting chances. Hit the side of the net and Potvin robbed him on another.

I feel a trade coming thou and Perreault may be gone with probably anothe defenseman. I would like to see

Bulis Koivu Zednik
Hossa Riberio Ryder
Kilger Juneau Dackel
Langdon Begin Ward

Ryder can play all forward positions and will help Hossa create space for Riberio. Its a kid line thou and that may be a problem.

I like it !!!
E-mail it to Claude!!! :yo:

KILLger 10-30-2003 03:14 PM

Quote:

Bulis Koivu Zednik
Hossa Riberio Ryder
Kilger Juneau Dackel
Langdon Begin Ward

I really like it... maybe Sundström in Dackell's spot... I just hate Andreas.

Munchausen 10-30-2003 07:49 PM

Quote:

Bulis Koivu Zednik
Hossa Riberio Ryder
Kilger Juneau Dackel
Langdon Begin Ward

Like your lines a lot. I think Perreault could easlily be moved by BG to a team lacking both scoring and centerman depth due to injuries (Kings?) or other factors so if it's in Gainey's plans to do so, it will happen. But Audette we are stuck with him unfortunately for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do us part... Hey death... An accident happens so quickly... Mouahahahaha...http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/devilfire.gif

BTW thanks a lot for a great read Guy!. Usually I find myself agreeing with your vues which is mostly the case here except minor things. Keep up the good work! :handclap:

mcphee 10-31-2003 05:31 AM

Well done Guy. Audette has been painful to watch. His instincts are there, but the hands and legs have to be there too, and they just aren't.
I like Rivet, but he has been very inconsistent so far. It seems after a mistake, he rushes around to correct it, rather than letting the game come to him. Hmmn, must be a right side thing on the Habs D. He really seems to be playing with no confidence right now.
I sort of suspect that Julien was playing just about everybody on the PP to find a good combination. I hope that the auditions are over and he settles on a unit, esp. on the point. Rivet is at best, only suited to the last 30 seconds, as is Souray. Overall, we have to be pleased. The strength of the team is in nets, and strong positional play allows the goalies to stand out, hence we're 6-5 and not 3-8.