HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Boston Bruins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Trapping Habs win in O.T. despite sensational Potvin (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=24280)

misterjaggers 10-31-2003 02:00 AM

Trapping Habs win in O.T. despite sensational Potvin

Habs borrow Trap from Hurricanes. See Kevin Paul Dupont in his Bruins Notebook in today's Globe: http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...m_stuck_again/
Also, KPD on Juneau's non-shot winning in O.T.:
http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...k_out_at_home/
And Jim McCabe in today's Globe talks to Joe Juneau, who liked playing for the Bruins:
http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...nsive_bonanza/

Stephen Harris in the Herald says Bruins lacked intensity and rode Potvin's coattails into O.T.:
http://bruins.bostonherald.com/bruin...g?articleid=70
In Harris' Bruins Notebook: Knuble on the "700 lb line". Also, is Donato headed down to Providence?
http://bruins.bostonherald.com/bruin...eid=69&format=
And Steve Conroy on Potvin's sensational goaltending:
http://bruins.bostonherald.com/bruin...g?articleid=67
And Michael O'connor on Juneau's lucky goal;
http://bruins.bostonherald.com/bruin...g?articleid=68

Gary 10-31-2003 04:00 AM

The trap did'nt beat us. Lack of effort did...oh, and some of what the commentators spoke about. Funny they mentioned it in regulation, yet it screwed us in OT and they didnt mention it. Joe Thornton gets MAULED by 2 habs to cough the puck up to juneau for the winner. Thornton dont dive like 98% of the guys in the league but ultimately holding lead to the OT winner. The refs need to take a closer look at what they're calling and how they're calling it when big guys are on the ice. Another example is a big guy checking a smaller guy and because of the size/strength mismatch it LOOKS like a penalty. Either way...If I was MOC...I'd send a videotape with hours of footage showing penalties that SHOULDVE been called on Thornton but were'nt because he refuses to embellish. By the same token...send video of exact types of plays with other players where penalties ARE being called and the guys ARE diving. Dont keep this issue closed...it has and will continue to burn us for a LONG time if not made public, and addressed properly IMO.

sarge88 10-31-2003 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary
The trap did'nt beat us. Lack of effort did...oh, and some of what the commentators spoke about. Funny they mentioned it in regulation, yet it screwed us in OT and they didnt mention it. Joe Thornton gets MAULED by 2 habs to cough the puck up to juneau for the winner. Thornton dont dive like 98% of the guys in the league but ultimately holding lead to the OT winner. The refs need to take a closer look at what they're calling and how they're calling it when big guys are on the ice. Another example is a big guy checking a smaller guy and because of the size/strength mismatch it LOOKS like a penalty. Either way...If I was MOC...I'd send a videotape with hours of footage showing penalties that SHOULDVE been called on Thornton but were'nt because he refuses to embellish. By the same token...send video of exact types of plays with other players where penalties ARE being called and the guys ARE diving. Dont keep this issue closed...it has and will continue to burn us for a LONG time if not made public, and addressed properly IMO.

Maybe Forsberg has it figured out, fall down at the first hint of contact.

Jeff from Maine 10-31-2003 06:53 AM

Forsberg?

Forsberg?

Peter Forsberg is well known as a guy who stays on his skates and fights through checks!

Forsberg DOES get hauled down on some checks/holds/grabs that Thornton doesnt gt hauled down on simply because Thornton is BIGGER than Forsberg!

Thornton is FAR from being alone as far as not getting calls!

I can list probably 50 guys JUST LIKE him in that regard! ALL star players have to get used to it. They dont get the calls if they are big and skilled.

Bertuzzi, Roberts, Iginla, Thornton, Sundin, Jagr (a number are called for holding him, but I have NEVER seen a player endure as much crap holding/grabbing as Jagr has had to endure!), Lemieux et al.

So many guys are the "victims" of this type of play.

Its one of the prices you have to pay for being big and strong!

Later

swiftsure1786 10-31-2003 07:21 AM

Poor you Bruins, you msut be alittel sad, after all the smurfs beat you!!! The fast smurfs, and Theo, lets not forget him!!!

Ortdogg 10-31-2003 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swiftsure1786
Poor you Bruins, you msut be alittel sad, after all the smurfs beat you!!! The fast smurfs, and Theo, lets not forget him!!!

what are you talking about......are you being cocky? cocky about a team that has scored 3 goals in its last 4 games....a team that has scored only once in its previous 200min??? wow those "fast forwards" are working out well for you eh?? and when you finally did manage to score it was an accident. yes it bothers me that the b's lost last night, it bothers me that they didnt hammer the frogs like they should have. as for your $5million goalie. tough night for him eh. what 21 saves, the bruins had no heart or desire last night and if they did he would have been pulled i guarentee it. it dosent matter anyways.

the bruins will be in the playoffs and be competative all year.

your $5mil goalie and fast forwards will get you nothing, well i guess if they are that fast they should be able to get to the golf course before everyone else!! great tee times!

habfan4 10-31-2003 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrtDogg19
what are you talking about......are you being cocky? cocky about a team that has scored 3 goals in its last 4 games....a team that has scored only once in its previous 200min??? wow those "fast forwards" are working out well for you eh?? and when you finally did manage to score it was an accident. yes it bothers me that the b's lost last night, it bothers me that they didnt hammer the frogs like they should have. as for your $5million goalie. tough night for him eh. what 21 saves, the bruins had no heart or desire last night and if they did he would have been pulled i guarentee it. it dosent matter anyways.

the bruins will be in the playoffs and be competative all year.

your $5mil goalie and fast forwards will get you nothing, well i guess if they are that fast they should be able to get to the golf course before everyone else!! great tee times!

Ignore posts like swiftsure1786's or conversely thank Johnny V for bringing the Habs Bruins debate down into the gutter!

At any rate - ***** can the "frogs" nonsense.

Gee Wally 10-31-2003 07:46 AM

okay gang ...that's enough...

and yes I agree ..no more "frogs"...

bb_fan 10-31-2003 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff from Maine
Forsberg?

Peter Forsberg is well known as a guy who stays on his skates and fights through checks!

Forsberg DOES get hauled down on some checks/holds/grabs that Thornton doesnt gt hauled down on simply because Thornton is BIGGER than Forsberg!

I can list probably 50 guys JUST LIKE him in that regard! ALL star players have to get used to it. They dont get the calls if they are big and skilled.

Bertuzzi, Roberts, Iginla, Thornton, Sundin, Jagr (a number are called for holding him, but I have NEVER seen a player endure as much crap holding/grabbing as Jagr has had to endure!), Lemieux et al.

Later

Yes, but it shouldnt be, for any of them.

Ortdogg 10-31-2003 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habfan4

At any rate - ***** can the "frogs" nonsense.

i do take back my frogs comment...but i stand by the rest of my post....forgive me, that was rude

Tucker316* 10-31-2003 09:00 AM

Stop ******** us. The bruins didn't show up..you have to use an excuse to explain the loss at the hands of the pure all around better team last night. Just admit it, the Habs totally outplayed them in every sense last night, just as most of the commentators and analysts have said. Maybe they sucked last night cuz the Habs played a lot better and made it look that way. The fact you got 21 shots attests to it. And hey, theo did stop every single one of them, and some were very good scoring chances. You got beat by the better team..got out-hit, out-skated, out-shot..everything. Stop making excuses.

neelynugs 10-31-2003 09:03 AM

juneau said "we needed that goal. we needed it to prove that we're a good team"...pardon my ignorance, but how does that goal prove that montreal is a good team??? sorry, this team sucks, and they won't be anything better than mediocre this season. maybe juneau should go back home and "cry all day" like he did when boston traded him. does anyone here know how to yodel??

KOMO_ROCKS 10-31-2003 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tucker316

Stop ******** us. The bruins didn't show up..you have to use an excuse to explain the loss at the hands of the pure all around better team last night. Just admit it, the Habs totally outplayed them in every sense last night, just as most of the commentators and analysts have said. Maybe they sucked last night cuz the Habs played a lot better and made it look that way. The fact you got 21 shots attests to it. And hey, theo did stop every single one of them, and some were very good scoring chances. You got beat by the better team..got out-hit, out-skated, out-shot..everything. Stop making excuses.

agreed :bow:

sarge88 10-31-2003 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff from Maine
Forsberg?

Later

Forsberg makes Greg Lougainas look like a YMCA swim club diver. I don't care how much you think he fights through checks, the fact remains that more often than not he simply hits the deck at the first sniff a hook, hold, or trip. I'm not saying that he doesn't go into traffic, play along the boards etc, I am saying that he dives to an embarassing degree at the slightest hook or grab.

Jean_Jacket41 10-31-2003 09:16 AM

Quote:

is Nashville a better team than Detroit???
surelly not. But they won last night against them.
Is Mtl better than Boston???
A big NO...
Mtl played there best game of the year but they have no offensive talent. Thats why it took them 200 minutes to score a garbage goal in overtime. Yes the Bruins have lost yesterday, but they have played there worst game of the year and stole a point because our goaltender was hot and mtl players miss talent... who said the Bruins had no goalies??? :teach:
Yes we got beat, but not by a better team.
those two teams are not in the same league...

neelynugs 10-31-2003 09:19 AM

Quote:

hang your hat on 1 game...makes a lot of sense :shakehead
over a full season, the bruins will prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are the better team. but look on the bright side- you can spend all season talking about how good komisarek is gonna be :joker:

DBL 10-31-2003 09:44 AM

Quote:

The Habs played the better game to no surprise, hadn't scored in 2 games, and practically showed no emotion during those games. And when they did finally score it happened to be lucky has hell and were 4 minutes away from a 3rd straight shutout.

Sure you could say the Habs played a perfect defensive game, but to us bruin fans who have seen the B's play all season, they were playing a bad game with no emotion. Makes sense too, 6 wins in a row! And they just beat the Habs with ease last game, so they let up. That's no excuse if you ask me, just a good reason to why they didn't show up. Not saying it's excusable for the B's to play with no emotion, but it makes sense why it happened and it did happen.

The Habs played better last night, but the Bruins are clearly the better team, in the standings and by the players on the teams. Go back to talking about how much better your prospects are, you actually have a arguement there, though, the B's prospects are actually sticking in the Bigs.

Tucker316* 10-31-2003 09:52 AM

In the end it never really matters. The Bruins wont do much in the playoffs, especially if they face the Habs. Cuz every time you supposedly have the "better team", the Habs end up just eliminating them anyway. No big sweat.

Jean_Jacket41 10-31-2003 10:32 AM

Quote:

In the end it never really matters. The Bruins wont do much in the playoffs, especially if they face the Habs. Cuz every time you supposedly have the "better team", the Habs end up just eliminating them anyway. No big sweat.

2 real non-sense....
you don't know if the Bruins will/wont do much in the next playoffs....
and
they just can't face the habs cause they will finish where they belong...out of the playoffs...

KOMO_ROCKS 10-31-2003 10:34 AM

Quote:

Exactly Darcy :handclap:

Corey 10-31-2003 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neelynugs
juneau said "we needed that goal. we needed it to prove that we're a good team"...pardon my ignorance, but how does that goal prove that montreal is a good team??? sorry, this team sucks, and they won't be anything better than mediocre this season. maybe juneau should go back home and "cry all day" like he did when boston traded him. does anyone here know how to yodel??

I don't think that goal proved anything but it proved that the Habs (and Theodore) can bottle up the Bruins at times. Remember, the Bruins scored only 2 goals in Montreal. While the Habs would be underdogs in the playoffs against the Bruins the inability of the Bruins to score against them is a reminder of 2002 and shows that they could be vulnerable to an upset.

In a way this is academic because both the Bruins and the Habs would go into the playoffs in the lower half of the seeding and therefore would not be able to face each other in the first round. In the case of the Habs I would expect them to finish no higher than 8th, so they'd most likely face the Senators (and be eliminated). Do Bruins fans have the temerity to suggest that their team will finish first and therefore face the 8th seed in the playoffs?

TheBigBadB 10-31-2003 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KOMO_ROCKS
Exactly Darcy :handclap:

What are you his kiss butt wing man... :lol:

TheBigBadB 10-31-2003 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey
I don't think that goal proved anything but it proved that the Habs (and Theodore) can bottle up the Bruins at times. Remember, the Bruins scored only 2 goals in Montreal. While the Habs would be underdogs in the playoffs against the Bruins the inability of the Bruins to score against them is a reminder of 2002 and shows that they could be vulnerable to an upset.

In a way this is academic because both the Bruins and the Habs would go into the playoffs in the lower half of the seeding and therefore would not be able to face each other in the first round. In the case of the Habs I would expect them to finish no higher than 8th, so they'd most likely face the Senators (and be eliminated). Do Bruins fans have the temerity to suggest that their team will finish first and therefore face the 8th seed in the playoffs?

Who knows???..They finished first two years ago, and I didnt think they would...anything is possible (unless its montreal in first :joker: )

KOMO_ROCKS 10-31-2003 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBigBadB
What are you his kiss butt wing man... :lol:

What are you the Bruins spokesperson? :moon:

Gee Wally 10-31-2003 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KOMO_ROCKS
What are you the Bruins spokesperson? :moon:

I guess that may be me... Mind your manners ...Stick to hockey.