HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Need some help with ball hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=243075)

Twist and Shout 04-18-2006 12:33 PM

Need some help with ball hockey
 
I play ice hockey at a fairly high level and play roller hockey during the summer, but this summer, I've signed up for ball hockey. Started to practice on the driveway a few days ago, and I've already run into a few problems:

1) I can barely stickhandle without losing the ball.

2) I feel uncomfortable with the stick (it goes up to just underneath my nose), so I tried a shorter stick (which goes up to my chin) and it feels too small.

3) Slap shot - I can unload it fine, but I have no control in hitting a target.

4) I tend to stop moving my feet because of bad habits learnt in ice hockey. How do I fix that?

5) Any special ball hockey moves / plays that can be executed fairly easily with practice?

Any suggestions? Thanks a lot.

Pensfan86 04-18-2006 12:46 PM

I ran into the same problems when I started up with ball hockey. For starters, I always used a shorter stick in ice hockey, but when i started playing ball hockey, I went with one that went up to my nose. I tend to find a longer stick to be more effective overall. For stickhandling issues, you might just need to practice a bit more. Usually in ice, I depended too much on my skating ability and never really worried much about stickhandling. If you are losing the ball alot, then truth is, you probably arent very good at stickhandling, and simply need to work on it. With the slapshot, I really don't have any suggestions. Just make sure you are following through correctly. I realize that at first, hitting a ball feels so much weirder than hitting a puck. My shot isn't very good in general, but I can at least place it for hte most part. It's probably a problem with mechanics more than anything. As far as moving your feet...i dunno man, just keep running at all times. In ball hockey, you can sort of stand still on occasion, but if anything, I think its so much easier to keep moving becuase you cannot simply glide like you do in ice hockey. With moves, I tend to find a simple deke to the back hand or forehand to be most effective. Simplicity is key. Just do a little stutter step, then make a move to either hand, it works very well.

Twist and Shout 04-18-2006 12:56 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention . . my stickhandling is fine with the shorter stick I tried, it's just with the longer stick that I've been having problems controlling the puck. However, I can't do much else with the shorter stick besides stickhandling and passing, so I don't know what to do. Perhaps I'll try taking two inches or so off the longer stick, and see if it works. Thanks for the suggestions, Pensfan.

Leeroy Jenkins 04-18-2006 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sevenSteen
Oh, I forgot to mention . . my stickhandling is fine with the shorter stick I tried, it's just with the longer stick that I've been having problems controlling the puck. However, I can't do much else with the shorter stick besides stickhandling and passing, so I don't know what to do. Perhaps I'll try taking two inches or so off the longer stick, and see if it works. Thanks for the suggestions, Pensfan.

Where are you playing ball hockey the YCBHL?

Mr Jiggyfly 04-18-2006 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sevenSteen
I play ice hockey at a fairly high level and play roller hockey during the summer, but this summer, I've signed up for ball hockey. Started to practice on the driveway a few days ago, and I've already run into a few problems:

1) I can barely stickhandle without losing the ball.

2) I feel uncomfortable with the stick (it goes up to just underneath my nose), so I tried a shorter stick (which goes up to my chin) and it feels too small.

3) Slap shot - I can unload it fine, but I have no control in hitting a target.

4) I tend to stop moving my feet because of bad habits learnt in ice hockey. How do I fix that?

5) Any special ball hockey moves / plays that can be executed fairly easily with practice?

Any suggestions? Thanks a lot.

Ball hockey is alot easier than ice, simply because ppl can't play the body on you in most leagues.

I had the same problem as you in that I didn't want to move my feet because I was used to being on my skates.

Luckily, I am able to anticipate things before they happen, and I see the whole dek quite easily. Things are moving so slowly compared to ice, that making plays and such is pretty easy for me, eventhough I'm going half speed. I sort of jog half speed..I can actually control the ball running as fast as I want, but I admit I'm lazy and try to avoid it.

So if you do play ice at a high level, you should be able to do the same things as me.

Don't be afraid to slow the game down when you have the ball...you have alot more time in ball hockey to make plays, so use that to your advantage.

As for the stickhandling issues...put 2 pieces of tape from heel to toe on the front and back of your blade. This dulls the impact the ball has when it hits your blade, and it won't bounce off so easily.

Twist and Shout 04-18-2006 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leafsin2006
Where are you playing ball hockey the YCBHL?

Yep, at the Whitby/Oshawa location . .

Seph 04-18-2006 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sevenSteen
3) Slap shot - I can unload it fine, but I have no control in hitting a target.

4) I tend to stop moving my feet because of bad habits learnt in ice hockey. How do I fix that?

These two, especially in conjunction, were my biggest problem when I went from roller to ball hockey. Unloading a slap shot on the fly is all but impossible to do cleanly without skates, as your feet need to keep moving if you want to keep moving.

The only answer I have is to simply not trying to slap it on the fly. When I'm moving I only use wristers and back handers, and if I want to take a slap/snap shot I stop short.

Not much help, I know.

jerseydevil 04-18-2006 01:38 PM

Quote " Need some help with Ball Hockey"


Official Instructions- Insert one hand into each pants pocket. Slap balls from one side to another...repeat until you score... ( or horrible pain begins)

Leeroy Jenkins 04-18-2006 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sevenSteen
Yep, at the Whitby/Oshawa location . .

Which division are you playing in tier 4? Because if you are don't worry about most of the people that play tier 4 are garbage. The biggest thing you need to worry about is your shot, because if you have a good slapper or wrist you'll do fine.

Twist and Shout 04-18-2006 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leafsin2006
Which division are you playing in tier 4? Because if you are don't worry about most of the people that play tier 4 are garbage. The biggest thing you need to worry about is your shot, because if you have a good slapper or wrist you'll do fine.

Yeah, they said I have to be in Tier 4 because I'm joining as an individual and not on a team with a group of guys I know. I watched a Tier 2 game that my buddy was playing in last summer and while some of the players were quite good, there were many who were getting by with only decent positioning. I don't expect this Tier 4 division to be challenging, but it should be fun. Which location do you play in?

stick9 04-18-2006 02:52 PM

Try practicing your stickhandling using a golf ball. It's a lot harder to control then a street hockey ball and it moves a lot faster.

Leeroy Jenkins 04-18-2006 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sevenSteen
Yeah, they said I have to be in Tier 4 because I'm joining as an individual and not on a team with a group of guys I know. I watched a Tier 2 game that my buddy was playing in last summer and while some of the players were quite good, there were many who were getting by with only decent positioning. I don't expect this Tier 4 division to be challenging, but it should be fun. Which location do you play in?

I'm currently playing at Steven Leacock arena in Scarborough. Oh yeah and the crappy part about the summer league is the fact that you have to pay $3 before every game just to enter the arena.

Twist and Shout 04-18-2006 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leafsin2006
Oh yeah and the crappy part about the summer league is the fact that you have to pay $3 before every game just to enter the arena.

Yeah, what the hell is that about? They told me it was for "admission" when I was signing up.

Twist and Shout 04-18-2006 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by <Mr Jiggyfly>
As for the stickhandling issues...put 2 pieces of tape from heel to toe on the front and back of your blade.

Horizontally?

Twist and Shout 04-18-2006 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seph

The only answer I have is to simply not trying to slap it on the fly.

Yeah, I've tried putting the ball a bit ahead of my body before slapping it on the fly, but it just doesn't feel right. Guess I'll have to stop before firing it.

Also, I came to my senses and started practicing with a orange ball hockey ball rather than a tennis ball, and my my my, how much easier stickhandling is now.

DaveyCrockett 04-18-2006 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sevenSteen
Yeah, I've tried putting the ball a bit ahead of my body before slapping it on the fly, but it just doesn't feel right. Guess I'll have to stop before firing it.

Also, I came to my senses and started practicing with a orange ball hockey ball rather than a tennis ball, and my my my, how much easier stickhandling is now.

Ya, almost no one can handle a tennis ball well, it just bounces to much. As you noted earlier, positioning is key. The poke check is more effective in ball hockey than in ice, and the snap shot is much easier especially if you lack wrist strength.

Often the goalies will suck, so shoot from everywhere. It is so much easier to make plays in ball hockey as it seems like you have all the time in the world compared to ice.

The simple moves are the most effective when trying to get around someone. Use your body a lot, like Allison does (notice the connection between Allison's skating and your running speed). I find that bulling in hard and keep your body between the puck and your opponent is a very effective moce.

Pantokrator 04-18-2006 11:15 PM

I find that with sticks, the longer the stick, the heavier the shot and less ball control. In our league, the defensman use giant sticks since they are the ones most likely to get off their shot.

It is possible to get off a running slapshot, and it is quite effective, since it catches defensmen/opposing forwards off guard. I developed one accidentally by hitting tennis balls to my dog. The stupid dog would run before I hit the ball, so I would be in a hurry to shoot the moving ball before my dumb dog was out of range and off into another yard. Try putting the ball out in front of you by about 5 or 6 feet then running to it hitting it across your body. For example, If you are running at the ball, try hitting it 90 degrees to your left (or right, if you are a lefty). The motion of running actually (at least for me) coincides with the motion of hitting the ball. I actually am more accurate this way than from a standing position, which tells you how inaccurate my regular slapshot is.

The moving slapshot is nice too, because if you are down low in a corner and the forward is covering the point, you can push the ball out as you roll away from your defensman toward the slot and get off a nice shot.

Pensfan86 04-18-2006 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sevenSteen
Yeah, I've tried putting the ball a bit ahead of my body before slapping it on the fly, but it just doesn't feel right. Guess I'll have to stop before firing it.

Also, I came to my senses and started practicing with a orange ball hockey ball rather than a tennis ball, and my my my, how much easier stickhandling is now.


I do have a way to do this...however, it is somewhat difficult to describe and its more of a show kind of thing. Hopefully you are right handed, because I am, and this is how I figured out how to shoot slapshots on the run with some accuracy as well as speed.

Ok, you almost want the ball on your side, not in front of you. Imagine if you stopped to take a shot where hte ball would be, you want it there. If you are a right hander, you want to put all of your weight on your right foot, so you are almost leaning over. So yea, you are basically taking your slapshot, in stride, off of one foot, that being the one of your forehand (so if you are a lefty, shoot off your left foot). Try it a few times, it takes pracitce and the ball will be going everywhere at first, but I am telling you, this is the most effective way of taking a slapshot on the run. Hand positioning on this is something you have to figure out for yourself. I normally just widen my hands slightly and let the momentum from me running carry my shot, not me getting down into a knee bend and trying to crank one out. So to sum this up

-- Put all of your weight on your inside foot when shooting
-- Keep the ball at your side, not in front of you
-- Do not widen your hands as much as you would if you were taking a normal slapshot, instead, let your momentum carry the shot
-- Try it a few times...ok alot of times...because it is weird at first shooting off one foot. You will get it eventually though.

Pantokrator 04-18-2006 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sevenSteen
Horizontally?

Yes.

If you tape it the normal icehockey way, the tape creates too much drag and friction with the playing surface. I put about 3 3" horizontal pieces front and back where the ball is handled the most, right in the pocket of the stick, or whatever that location is called.

Seph 04-19-2006 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pensfan86
I do have a way to do this...however, it is somewhat difficult to describe and its more of a show kind of thing. Hopefully you are right handed, because I am, and this is how I figured out how to shoot slapshots on the run with some accuracy as well as speed.

Ok, you almost want the ball on your side, not in front of you. Imagine if you stopped to take a shot where hte ball would be, you want it there. If you are a right hander, you want to put all of your weight on your right foot, so you are almost leaning over. So yea, you are basically taking your slapshot, in stride, off of one foot, that being the one of your forehand (so if you are a lefty, shoot off your left foot). Try it a few times, it takes pracitce and the ball will be going everywhere at first, but I am telling you, this is the most effective way of taking a slapshot on the run. Hand positioning on this is something you have to figure out for yourself. I normally just widen my hands slightly and let the momentum from me running carry my shot, not me getting down into a knee bend and trying to crank one out. So to sum this up

-- Put all of your weight on your inside foot when shooting
-- Keep the ball at your side, not in front of you
-- Do not widen your hands as much as you would if you were taking a normal slapshot, instead, let your momentum carry the shot
-- Try it a few times...ok alot of times...because it is weird at first shooting off one foot. You will get it eventually though.

How much would you say you sacrifice in shot power/accuracy?

score77 04-19-2006 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantokrator
Yes.

If you tape it the normal icehockey way, the tape creates too much drag and friction with the playing surface. I put about 3 3" horizontal pieces front and back where the ball is handled the most, right in the pocket of the stick, or whatever that location is called.

I use one of those tape pad type things the u just stick on ur blade and it had a surface close to sandpaper. I like them alot and have used them for years.

Mr Jiggyfly 04-19-2006 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sevenSteen
Horizontally?

Yep

Pantokrator 04-20-2006 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueshirt-1-7-35
I use one of those tape pad type things the u just stick on ur blade and it had a surface close to sandpaper. I like them alot and have used them for years.

Yeah, those things are great, I am just too stinkin' cheap to spend any money. In fact, half of the time I use someone else's tape. Hey, I'm a teacher, I'm poor!

Twist and Shout 04-20-2006 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by <Mr Jiggyfly>
Yep

Thanks.

Twist and Shout 04-20-2006 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantokrator
Yeah, those things are great, I am just too stinkin' cheap to spend any money. In fact, half of the time I use someone else's tape. Hey, I'm a teacher, I'm poor!

How much do those strips cost? I'm guessing it's sold at Sportschek and the like?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:06 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.