HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Dallas Stars (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Stars call up Tobias Stephan (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=244591)

________ 04-21-2006 08:27 PM

Stars call up Tobias Stephan

To be the 3rd goalie.
link

Hedberg 04-21-2006 09:01 PM

I can't read the article. How can they call up someone from an European League?

________ 04-21-2006 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedberg
I can't read the article. How can they call up someone from an European League?

I'm not sure it has to be since they signed him last year summer or could be because the Swiss league is done for the season?

this was basically the story
Quote:

The Stars have recalled goaltender Tobias Stephan from the Kloten Flyers of the Swiss Elite League, the team announced Friday.
rest just listed his stats, and when he was drafted.

Dr GLU 04-21-2006 09:54 PM

He's under contract and his season's done in Europe. Why can't they bring him over?

The only thing is it may kill a year on the deal they signed him to.

devilman 04-22-2006 03:24 AM

His postseason ended with a loss to the later Swiss Champions HC Lugano in the Semi-Finals on March 30st (1-4 in the best of 7 series).

He also got the call because your farmteam is in the playoffs.

Walzy 04-22-2006 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLU
He's under contract and his season's done in Europe. Why can't they bring him over?

The only thing is it may kill a year on the deal they signed him to.

his originally contract is from 06-09, so maybe Dallas only signed him to a tryout this playoffs to train with the pros...

Quote:

Originally Posted by devilman
He also got the call because your farmteam is in the playoffs.

well, i think that's not the main-case...if there's an injuriy of Turco/Hedberg, Steve Silverthorn should be good enough to backup the I-stars

Dr GLU 04-22-2006 09:57 AM

He probably got the call because he's coming over next year anyway, so why not start working on his game now. Plus, being around the team in a playoff atmosphere can't hurt him.

If a severe injury occurs, I think Ellis would be recalled anyway.

devilman 04-22-2006 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walzy
well, i think that's not the main-case...if there's an injuriy of Turco/Hedberg, Steve Silverthorn should be good enough to backup the I-stars

Oh, I meant the goalies in your farmteam are needed in the playoffs of your farmteam.

Well, I guess it's a great opportunity for him to "smell" what the NHL is about, and training with the big guys isn't hurting either.

Someone in Dallas must like him, he was a little shaky in the playoffs (but not the main reason they didn't advance to the finals). But after all his injuries he still had a good season, and when he can overcome his unconsitency, and prove his talent, you guys will have a good goaltender in your system.

mikefavata 04-23-2006 11:26 PM

What do you guys think of Mike Smith? Will he be backing up Turco next season / on route to eventually being the #1 in a couple of years?

Dr GLU 04-24-2006 02:16 AM

I don't know if Smith's a #1, but I'd say he's got as good a shot at backing up Turco next year as anyone.

GKJ 04-25-2006 06:54 AM

On OLN, they were saying that they pulled a Goldberg on Stephan, saying they tied him up in the net in the butterfly position because Tippett wanted the team to practice going top shelf...is this true?