HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Boston Bruins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Shanahan predicts a year and a half! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=24461)

Duguay 10-31-2003 03:37 PM

Shanahan predicts a year and a half!

Brendan Shanahan was thinking out loud in the Canadian Media today.

He says that the Union is readying for a long lockout. Union insiders believe that Management has a plan to weaken the Union by dragging this out for a year and a half! It is believed that after that amount of time; the union will begin to crumble.

Sounds like the more militant of the Owners (ie. Boston) are going on a campaign for some "Union Busting."

Doesn't look good folks.

Amazing as it is, all that these guys need to do, is continue finding ways to make each other rich.

Can't say how I'd feel about the NHL after a year and a half off.

Could send me down another path.

misterjaggers 10-31-2003 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duguay

He says that the Union is readying for a long lockout. Union insiders believe that Management has a plan to weaken the Union by dragging this out for a year and a half! It is believed that after that amount of time; the union will begin to crumble.

Sounds like the more militant of the Owners (ie. Boston) are going on a campaign for some "Union Busting."

Doesn't look good folks.

Amazing as it is, all that these guys need to do, is continue finding ways to make each other rich.

Do you have a link to a news article quoting Shanahan?

Duguay 10-31-2003 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misterjaggers
Do you have a link to a news article quoting Shanahan?

No. It was on Television.

WBC8 10-31-2003 04:23 PM

The players just need to look around the arenas...NOBODY is there...also, NO new TV contract...where is the revenue suppossed to come from?

scotiahockey 10-31-2003 04:47 PM

bringing the players union to its knees is exactly what needs to happen for hockey.

billybruin 10-31-2003 05:47 PM

You gotta hit rock bottom before you can fully heal.
If this happens; if hockey goes on strike; that is exactly what they'll be doing, hitting rock bottom. And it is exactly what hockey needs. It doesn't need anymore bandages, it needs to be fully healed.

Ratty 10-31-2003 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duguay

Doesn't look good folks.

How about the players making themselves rich? Sure, they take what the stupid owners give them. But, let's face it, with the likes of Martin LaPointe, a nice player to be sure, making 5 mil a year, and you and I paying ridiculous prices for seats to see this superstar, don't you think there should be radical changes?

Dueman1 11-01-2003 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotiahockey
bringing the players union to its knees is exactly what needs to happen for hockey.

Good idea, that way the owners can pocket more for themselves

misterjaggers 11-01-2003 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotiahockey

There has to be a salary cap. If the union won't accept a cap then I blame the NHLPA for any consequences -lockouts, seasons lost, whatever...

Bruwinz37 11-01-2003 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dueman1
Good idea, that way the owners can pocket more for themselves

Well someone has almost no grasp on the financial state of the NHL.

bb74 11-01-2003 08:52 AM

No need to take shots on the posters.

Although the comment may have been a bit sarcastic there is some reality to it I believe - that is the owners are unlikely to reduce ticket prices just because salaries come into line with the cap - until the economics are clearly stated and the elasticity to ticket price and purchase are understood then I don't see the prices coming down. One has to wonder if people don't come to the games today because of price or the fact that many of the games are just boring with the endless trapping, holding, clutching and grabbing. This shouls be addressed with the new CBA as it is paramount that not only the labor structure be addressed but the core concept of NHL hockey and the entertainment value.

misterjaggers 11-01-2003 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bb74
...the owners are unlikely to reduce ticket prices just because salaries come into line with the cap - until the economics are clearly stated and the elasticity to ticket price and purchase are understood then I don't see the prices coming down.

The Bruins are winning yet there are still plenty of empty seats at the Fleece Center.

And it's reaching the point where you practically have to own polo ponies to afford to attend:
http://www.canada.com/search/story.a...0-547f8756f241

Bruins2020 11-01-2003 10:24 AM

""He says that the Union is readying for a long lockout. Union insiders believe that Management has a plan to weaken the Union by dragging this out for a year and a half! It is believed that after that amount of time; the union will begin to crumble.""

This is exactly what the NBA wants to hear.

The NHL would be shooting themselves in the foot.

Bottom line is that the Owners want to make money. They MUST realize that a year and a half layoff would seriously hurt this league. They are stuggling for fans in America now, imagine what it would be like after such a long layoff.

I am under the idea that this will all get worked out, and there will be no stoppage. Both sides know the NHL cannot afford a travesty such as this would be.

BlacknGold Barbarino 11-01-2003 10:43 AM

[QUOTE=IceMan]

Bottom line is that the Owners want to make money. QUOTE]

Yes, that is very true. But no one in their right mind goes into a huge venture like owning a hockey team without a profit motive. The fan/owner is an extinct specie. You could say Ilitch is the exception, but he screwed his baseball team over to afford the Dead Things. (I still laugh at that article where he was voted the "best owner in sports" because of the Red Wings, and the "Worst Owner in Sports" because of the Tigers)

The NHL isn't making money right now. That has to change, or there won't be professional hockey, period, or it will be confined to the U.S. and have about as many fans as Major League Soccer. Professional sports isn't a charity. The owners need to make enough money to run their operations AND make a profit, otherwise it isn't worth it. One of the areas that needs to take a hit is player salaries. They're out of control (and, yes, I do blame the Lapointe and Holik contracts, as much as I like Marty). That means taking on the NHLPA.

There are no "innocent victims" here. The players need to be willing to make some concessions regarding salaries, while the owners need to think about restructuring the league so cities like Calgary can afford to have hockey teams.

Dueman1 11-02-2003 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruwinz20
Well someone has almost no grasp on the financial state of the NHL.

Of all people I would expect a Bruins fan to understand this more than anybody.