HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Lack of Blue Line Speed will be the down fall (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=245246)

flyersfan1221 04-23-2006 09:01 PM

Lack of Blue Line Speed will be the down fall

The most glaring deficancy is our slow footed D corps. Hatcher is apparently playing on two bad knees and Rathje must have a laundry list of "quiet". Freddy Myer is OK but has already maxed the learning curve for this year. Rico Dejardin is so busy covering up for his ever changing line mate he is rendered ineffective as a puck carrier. That leaves Pittkanen. The opposing coach simply looks for the right line to go against Joni and now the positive that he brings is nutralized. Gauthier is a good five or six man but... I respect their dedication and professionalism I just don't think the Flyers can overcome this situation in the playoffs. Without a D-man to carry the puck (Kim Jonson) teams are able to overplay the breakout which leads to turnovers and/ or forcing low precentage, long outlets that result in little or no sustained offensive zone attack time.
Clarky, You've got your work cut out for yourself this offseason...

GO FLYERS

MountainHawk 04-23-2006 09:09 PM

Lose a game 1 in double OT ... already doing post-mortem posts.

*sigh* Why is this board sooo damn negative?

Gags1288 04-23-2006 09:43 PM

Not only that, but lack of speed on defense had absolutely nothing to do with the loss.

Hatcher and Rathje both played tremendous games, probably our top 2 d-men last night. Hatcher hit everything that moved, Rathje was great positionally, and they were both great killing penalties.

Eric Desjardins on the other hand, well that's a discussion for another thread...

mja 04-23-2006 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gags1288
Not only that, but lack of speed on defense had absolutely nothing to do with the loss.

Hatcher and Rathje both played tremendous games, probably our top 2 d-men last night. Hatcher hit everything that moved, Rathje was great positionally, and they were both great killing penalties.

Eric Desjardins on the other hand, well that's a discussion for another thread...

I've always been a big Rico booster, but what the hell has happened to his decision-making?

RoDu 04-23-2006 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mja
I've always been a big Rico booster, but what the hell has happened to his decision-making?

It's not his decisoopn making maybe, but his reaction time, I dunno, but put a fork in him, he's done

FlyersFanJS 04-24-2006 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyersfan1221
The most glaring deficancy is our slow footed D corps. Hatcher is apparently playing on two bad knees and Rathje must have a laundry list of "quiet". Freddy Myer is OK but has already maxed the learning curve for this year. Rico Dejardin is so busy covering up for his ever changing line mate he is rendered ineffective as a puck carrier. That leaves Pittkanen. The opposing coach simply looks for the right line to go against Joni and now the positive that he brings is nutralized. Gauthier is a good five or six man but... I respect their dedication and professionalism I just don't think the Flyers can overcome this situation in the playoffs. Without a D-man to carry the puck (Kim Jonson) teams are able to overplay the breakout which leads to turnovers and/ or forcing low precentage, long outlets that result in little or no sustained offensive zone attack time.
Clarky, You've got your work cut out for yourself this offseason...

GO FLYERS

granted Clarke needs to get some mobile d-men in the offseason, but they lost in double OT, it's not like the defense was just so terrible that buffalo just couldn't be contained...relax, we can still win this series

on another note, it's tough to read a post with SO many spelling errors...especially the players' names :sarcasm:

GKJ 04-24-2006 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MountainHawk

He's not being negative, he's right. The Sabres had over 40 shots through regulation. We should have gotten smoked.

flyersfan21 04-24-2006 06:04 AM

One of the biggest problems on defense is Hitch plays Rico way too much.
He's old and way too slow, he just doesnt have it anymore, he cant keep up.

Pitkanen thrives when he plays more minutes. Rico should play about 5 minutes a game and split the extra minutes between Pitkanen and Meyer. Our defense will be much more effective.

Also you have to keep Rico off the PP and PK.

Actually Rico's only job should be picking up the pieces of broken sticks off the ice, but he'll probably be to slow to do that too.

MojoJojo 04-24-2006 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MountainHawk

Because this is a Philadelphia message board, and you have no idea how hard up this city is for a championship. Year after year of good teams that never make it over the hump has this town incredibly jaded.

As far as double OT, we were dominated all game long. If we dont ever acknowlege our team's short comings, then we are just a bunch of blind homers.

Towelie* 04-24-2006 01:07 PM

I reallly can't understand why Clarke signed Rathje and Hatcher. At the time I thought they were terrible signings, and I still do. Over payed too.

BringBackStevens 04-24-2006 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb
I reallly can't understand why Clarke signed Rathje and Hatcher. At the time I thought they were terrible signings, and I still do. Over payed too.

if they fair as well as they did during game 1 for the rest of the playoffs then i don't have any problems with the signings, although the amounts were too high imo

peacepipe 04-24-2006 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
He's not being negative, he's right. The Sabres had over 40 shots through regulation. We should have gotten smoked.

thats where your goalie is supposed to come up big..the devils let up alot of shots as well but keep everything to the outside where the goalie should make the save..there wasnt to many sabres getting into the slot

CanuckistanFlyerfan 04-24-2006 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514

Montreal's Huet faced 43. Gerber faced 21. Habs won 6-1. Philly didn't score enough goals. Esche gave them the opportunity to win.

TheKingPin 04-24-2006 02:44 PM

I thought they played great game. Other than Rico they all seemed to play well.

Nova88 04-24-2006 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MojoJojo
Because this is a Philadelphia message board, and you have no idea how hard up this city is for a championship. Year after year of good teams that never make it over the hump has this town incredibly jaded.

As far as double OT, we were dominated all game long. If we dont ever acknowlege our team's short comings, then we are just a bunch of blind homers.

Buffalo is jaded as well... with the Bills and such :( .

Lupul* 04-24-2006 03:33 PM

By the way, what the hell happened to the early season Desjardins?

flyersfan21 04-24-2006 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicto10
By the way, what the hell happened to the early season Desjardins?

As the season goes on Rico wears down, always did and always will.

Rico needs to hang them up for good. He cant handle the speed of the game.

His decision making is horrible. He thinks he shooting at a soccer net and he still misses the net.

Hitch has too much confidence in him and because of this is the only way the Flyers lose this series.

Flyer4Life 04-24-2006 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyersfan21
As the season goes on Rico wears down, always did and always will.

Rico needs to hang them up for good. He cant handle the speed of the game.

His decision making is horrible. He thinks he shooting at a soccer net and he still misses the net.

Hitch has too much confidence in him and because of this is the only way the Flyers lose this series.

I think thats a little harsh. Besides there is no one else thats better to insert. In the last playoffs everyone said if we had Rico we would of beat Tampa. Johnson going down is the crux of the problem for this defense

flyersfan21 04-24-2006 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyer4Life
I think thats a little harsh. Besides there is no one else thats better to insert. In the last playoffs everyone said if we had Rico we would of beat Tampa. Johnson going down is the crux of the problem for this defense

Have you seen Rico play all year. He's horrible. All he does is turn the puck over with his bad decisions.

And the was 2 years ago when we had Sammy playing defense and let me tell you I was not one of those people saying if we had Rico we would have won the cup. Matter of fact most people were saying if we didnt trade Eric Weinrich we would have beat Tampa and won the cup.

MojoJojo 04-24-2006 06:59 PM

That last penalty to Rathje that led to the Sabres going up 5-0 is exactly the sort of problem with our D the thread starter is talking about. Down low chasing a puck in the corner, Rathje had no chance beating his man to the puck so he grabbed him. He tried to be slick about it, but he still got his arm in with the sole purpose of slowing him down.

Meathead 04-24-2006 07:08 PM

better close this thread too cuz people are talking about the game

oh brother

erin07 04-24-2006 07:09 PM

lets throw this out there for discussion not knowing if we win this series or loose how bad did foppa hurt this team going to the olympics even though he knows he should have rested.

flyersfan1221 04-24-2006 08:39 PM

How ya feelin after game 2 ?

flyersfan1221 04-24-2006 08:41 PM

Are you kidding

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gags1288

What game are you watching...Two hattys in game two and you want to tell us that these two pieces of crap played tremendous

flyersfan1221 04-24-2006 08:42 PM

Relax?

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersFanJS
granted Clarke needs to get some mobile d-men in the offseason, but they lost in double OT, it's not like the defense was just so terrible that buffalo just couldn't be contained...relax, we can still win this series

on another note, it's tough to read a post with SO many spelling errors...especially the players' names :sarcasm:

How relaxed are you feeling after game 2 fella?