HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Not selling out a playoff game (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=245770)

dulzhok 04-25-2006 09:46 AM

Not selling out a playoff game

Anyway you look at it, this is reason for concern. I donít get it quite frankly. We had like 8 sell-outs during the regular season, yet we fail to sell-out a playoff game?

Itís appears that support of this team has dwindled as the season has progressed. We definitely have a strong base, but I was fully expecting to see us win over some of these fickle Nashville sports fans.

The only explanation I have is the NFL draft media circus. With the Titans being front and center, it has taken away a good amount of media attention from the Predators. Also, the McNair situation has probably helped contribute to the shift in media coverage.

triggrman 04-25-2006 09:53 AM

IMHO they priced themself out of the section that had seats remaining, Those seats and I bet you'll see a change next round. BTW, we're only talking about 400 seats in one price range...

vopatsrash 04-25-2006 11:43 AM

I heard they were having a problem selling out the game, so I looked into getting tickets for my wife and daughter so maybe they could go and the cheapest seat was $86 before ticketmaster gets to Duke Lacrosse you. I just can't drop $200 for extra seats. I assume that goes for 90% of most people wanting to go to the game. There were 2 people in my office that told me on Friday they were going to a game this weekend. On Monday, I asked them what they thought and they didn't go because they couldn't afford the $100 tickets.

I know it's a no-no and the playoffs should sell themselves and they would have been criticized anyway, but a last minute dropping of price of those 400 seats might have made it a sellout and still would have made them $15-20,0000+.

I think the interest is there. As a matter of fact, I think it's at an all time high. If you take out the few thousand Detroit fans from 2004, we actually have more Predator fans attending these games than we did in 2004 when we had sellouts.

Imo, this is more of a damning of the Nashville corporate community than the regular people of Nashville. These are the tickets that are usually bought by corporations in other cities and not regular fans. It makes for a better atmosphere in the GEC, but this is no doubt a problem for the stablity of the franchise and I agree that it is reason for concern.

Overall, I'm really happy with the support of middle tennessee sports fans and it's astounding to see how strong the regular person base is considering the lockout.

handtrick 04-25-2006 11:53 AM

To add to that vopatsrash, the diehard hockey fan is already the ones that had the tickets and it was the casual fan that you were asking to pony up $100 per ticket with 3 days notice....and that ain't gonna happen.
The causal fan thinks that.....No Vokoun = No chance of success.

I agree that 2004 playoffs sellouts were inflated due to the Redwing contigent that only come to the GEC when the Wings are in town, and that Steve Violetta and others miscalculated this when they announced the playoff increase in playoff ticket prices compared to 2004.....the fact that they didn't forecast this as a possibility and have corporate sponsorship ready to buy out any remainder in case of a non sellout situation is beyond me.

I also think the 12 noon Sunday start time, didn't help matters and a 2-5 PM start time would have had a better chance.

Lack of corporate sales is the real problem here...until that changes we will continue to have a problem selling out the $100 tickets.......it sucks, but that is the reality of it right now..... :dunno:

PredsMan 04-25-2006 12:57 PM

I agree...the ticket prices were jacked up for the playoff games.

they won't sell tickets like that.

Seth Lake 04-25-2006 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handtrick
I also think the 12 noon Sunday start time, didn't help matters and a 2-5 PM start time would have had a better chance.

Lack of corporate sales is the real problem here...until that changes we will continue to have a problem selling out the $100 tickets.......it sucks, but that is the reality of it right now..... :dunno:

Those I think are the two main factors in not selling out. The 12 noon start time and the lack of corporate sales. I think the price is a major issue for the casual/bandwagon fans as well, but that's where the lack of corporate sales bite us in the butt.

We must get those casual/bandwagon fans in the building right now to see playoff hockey and hope that they get "hooked", but I'm not all for blaming the Predators for not selling the $100 seats. Sorry, but we must admit that is a limitation in our market right now, especially for a 12 noon start time on a Sunday (thank you NBC).

Just my two cents...but I'm not blaming the Predators for raising the ticket prices for the playoffs...as a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure that it is required by the league that they must increase playoff ticket prices.

Enoch 04-25-2006 03:51 PM

To add to that, I know about 15 people that wanted to get tickets to the game but were not going to pay the 85 bucks to attend. This still stinks for us as a fanbase, but at least it means that people are interested in coming....rather than completely uncaring, etc.

USF Shark 04-26-2006 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enoch
To add to that, I know about 15 people that wanted to get tickets to the game but were not going to pay the 85 bucks to attend. This still stinks for us as a fanbase, but at least it means that people are interested in coming....rather than completely uncaring, etc.

The Oakland A's did the same thing once...orginal price of an upper deck ticket was 8 dollars..they jacked it up to 30 for the first round of the playoffs......didn't come close to getting 45,000 fans...ouch. But I have to say, those ticket prices sound insane! The seats my dad and I have in our season ticket package, second deck, row 5, right infront of the Sharks goal, are 41 dollars for the first round and only go up to 84 dollars for the Stanley Cup finals.

I don't understand why tickets get jacked up so much during the playoffs, especially if demand during the season isn't that great.

sparkle twin 04-26-2006 02:04 AM

I really don't buy the noon time as being a factor. That's just an excuse.

The Titans play at noon for 8 Sunday's during their season. Regular season. No one has ever made a bid deal about their start time for 10 years now. Their games are sold out before the season even starts, even knowing how bad they will be. At the beginning of the year people showed up, then as the season went on and they were so bad people didn't show up. But they were still at least sold.

The prices for those seats are just too expensive for the average fan. Nashville isn't the type of market that's going to pay these prices. The corporations have to step up and help and they aren't. Now maybe it's because of the lockout and they had to budget differently without knowing what was going to happen. But now that they've been back for a year, and gone to the playoffs 2 seasons in a row, the corporations should step up next year when they can budget the tickets into their spending.

triggrman 04-26-2006 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpetri2000
The Oakland A's did the same thing once...orginal price of an upper deck ticket was 8 dollars..they jacked it up to 30 for the first round of the playoffs......didn't come close to getting 45,000 fans...ouch. But I have to say, those ticket prices sound insane! The seats my dad and I have in our season ticket package, second deck, row 5, right infront of the Sharks goal, are 41 dollars for the first round and only go up to 84 dollars for the Stanley Cup finals.

I don't understand why tickets get jacked up so much during the playoffs, especially if demand during the season isn't that great.

See, $41 in Nashville right now puts you in the upper deck, you can't touch seats in the lower boal for less then 60 and now most are > 75....

crossxcheck 04-26-2006 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vopatsrash
Imo, this is more of a damning of the Nashville corporate community than the regular people of Nashville. These are the tickets that are usually bought by corporations in other cities and not regular fans. It makes for a better atmosphere in the GEC, but this is no doubt a problem for the stablity of the franchise and I agree that it is reason for concern.

I agree wholeheartedly. It's the nashville business community that should be scolded for this!

Fraserburn 04-26-2006 12:23 PM

I was going to drive the 10 odd hours to get to nashville for sunday's game, but the only ticket i'd be able to get would be the $86 dollar ones........thats pretty weak
I love the predators but they arent the leafs or the wings how do they justify that price

Bad Karma 04-26-2006 12:59 PM

If you think the price is bad in the first round they would be higher in the 2nd round, first round pricing is what regular season will be next year, playoff games are considered premium by the league therefore everyone raises prices. now why parking went up by 5 dollars is what I want to know.... If the Predators had a clue how to market themselves outside the Metro area and get more money from Corporate sponsors prices would not be this high. It's as simple as that, They say with more high dollar players comes higher prices... according to the renewal package info... funny how both the league and PA denied that during the lockout.

RollingPredFan 04-27-2006 07:44 AM

Whats worse now Sunday's game may be blacked out :( This sucks if I could afford to go I would LOL

Basher 04-27-2006 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RollingPredFan
Whats worse now Sunday's game may be blacked out :( This sucks if I could afford to go I would LOL

Contact shockersf@hotmail.com, regarding tickets. He has some good deals usually, and is a pleasure work with.

handtrick 04-27-2006 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RollingPredFan

Yikes....2600 tickets still available for Sunday night Game 5.... :eek: :shakehead

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...604270452/1028

SpinTheBlackCircle 04-27-2006 09:03 AM

I'm sorry to hear about that potential blackout. When I went to Nashville a few years ago for a Sharks game, I had a great time and the fans were great. Same thing when I went to the draft there.

triggrman 04-27-2006 09:15 AM

Quote:

Yikes....2600 tickets still available for Sunday night Game 5.... :eek: :shakehead

Probably doesn't help that ticket master was down last night...... This a.m they said 1600, still too many.

I'm hoping everyone here has their tickets.

zingbergeur 04-27-2006 09:21 AM

I was just checking ticketmaster, and they still have tickets available in the "upper level, sideline balcony" for $36.50. That seems more than reasonable to me, although I have no idea how bad the seats are. I'm tempted to make the 9 hour journey from Michigan! I really would if it wasn't the beginning of finals week :shakehead

triggrman 04-27-2006 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zingbergeur
I was just checking ticketmaster, and they still have tickets available in the "upper level, sideline balcony" for $36.50. That seems more than reasonable to me, although I have no idea how bad the seats are. I'm tempted to make the 9 hour journey from Michigan! I really would if it wasn't the beginning of finals week :shakehead

hey, Mine said non available for those, so I bought the $45 upper level seats....

FangFingers 04-27-2006 10:01 AM

I think the prices are a real problem.

I went to Fridays game in the cheap seats - $60

Then, I bought into the hype and bought 3 expensive seats for Sundays game $94 a piece for $280+.

There's no way I can swing for another set of 3 in that bracket. That would be like $700 bucks in 1 week for hockey tickets.

Even if youre a casual fan, and your interest is piqued by playoff hockey fever, youre not going to plunk down $100.00 bucks per ticket to go and see.

This just reeks.

darth5 04-27-2006 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zingbergeur

Does anyone else think ticketmonster's search for seats is stupid? why do I have to pick my seat and area to be told it is not available? Why can't I justr find what hasn't sold yet and pick what I want???:teach:

irisheyes555 04-27-2006 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnrocketman
Does anyone else think ticketmonster's search for seats is stupid? why do I have to pick my seat and area to be told it is not available? Why can't I justr find what hasn't sold yet and pick what I want???:teach:

it's all of that wonderful service they provide for the 'slight' handling fee.

on a positive note, my mother's work(suntrust bank) was offering a deal for $25 off the lower bowl seating for employees for Sundays game. if i didn't already have plans i would have gotten a couple of tix.

i think the biggest surpise as listed in the tennessean article was that so many corporate season tix holders didn't get playoff tixs. the lower bowl has always been the reason for lack of sell outs. and on a 1 or 2 game basis joe fan can pick up the slack, but not a massive or consistent basis. of course we should still wait and see. i'm betting that people will cowboy up and make this a sellout and send the series back to SJ.

barrytrotzsneck 04-27-2006 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irisheyes555
it's all of that wonderful service they provide for the 'slight' handling fee.

on a positive note, my mother's work(suntrust bank) was offering a deal for $25 off the lower bowl seating for employees for Sundays game. if i didn't already have plans i would have gotten a couple of tix.

i think the biggest surpise as listed in the tennessean article was that so many corporate season tix holders didn't get playoff tixs. the lower bowl has always been the reason for lack of sell outs. and on a 1 or 2 game basis joe fan can pick up the slack, but not a massive or consistent basis. of course we should still wait and see. i'm betting that people will cowboy up and make this a sellout and send the series back to SJ.

I wonder how much of that has to do with our streaky play at times. Were they selling tickets when we were in one of our 2-8 slumps? Or when we were going months at a time losing to every team above 500 and beating up on the weak teams?

Or did some balk when Vokoun went down, and decided we had no chance at that point?

barrytrotzsneck 04-27-2006 02:58 PM

Quote:

if we lose tonight, i'm not sure i'd want to be at the elimination game, either ;)