HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Someone call America's Most Wanted (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=246374)

capn89* 04-26-2006 10:22 PM

Someone call America's Most Wanted

and tell them to call off the search!!! Apparently Forsberg found his missing game. :D

2x4* 04-26-2006 10:23 PM

I don't think he totally has. His goals were quite lucky, and his assist was an ENG.

3 points, but... I dont know, I know he still has more talent up his sleeve!

Ghost of Dale Hunter 04-26-2006 10:26 PM

Say what you will, and this is coming from a Sabres fan, but great players make their own luck. He was the difference tonight.

TheKingPin 04-26-2006 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fixxer
I don't think he totally has. His goals were quite lucky, and his assist was an ENG.

3 points, but... I dont know, I know he still has more talent up his sleeve!

he said he tried to bank in his second goal.

Dig Out Your Soul 04-26-2006 10:37 PM

The second goal was not luck, he meant to bank it in.

The first goal, I know Campbell swatted it towards McKee, but Forsberg looked up and it looked like he was looking at McKee's skates because he had no other options. :dunno:

Roger's Pancreas* 04-26-2006 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trippyime
The second goal was not luck, he meant to bank it in.

The first goal, I know Campbell swatted it towards McKee, but Forsberg looked up and it looked like he was looking at McKee's skates because he had no other options. :dunno:

Knuble was a couple strides behind the pass. You don't put up the number of assists that Forsberg does with that kind of accuracey.

Dig Out Your Soul 04-26-2006 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
Knuble was a couple strides behind the pass. You don't put up the number of assists that Forsberg does with that kind of accuracey.

Exactly. I have all the confidence in the world that Forsberg is one player who knows what he's doing at all times.

2x4* 04-26-2006 10:49 PM

Yea Ill give you that.

I watched the re-play and if there is any player who CAN do that on purpose its him.

FlyersFanJS 04-26-2006 11:25 PM

i've been slamming forsberg for the last few weeks and really all season i've been hard on him...he def showed me the player he used to be in Col....i hope he keeps this up, he's incredible

Flyers4ever 04-26-2006 11:35 PM

There are certain players who make a goal like forsberg's 2nd goal by sheer luck.. then there are players like forsberg who mean to do it.. he knew what he was doing and he did it.. i was getting a little worried, i kept hearing about this "playoff forseberg" and i didn't see it.. until tonight.. i think we got a glimpse into what he can do and i can't wait to see more!! bring on game 4!! :)

Bill_Meltzer 04-27-2006 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersFanJS
i've been slamming forsberg for the last few weeks and really all season i've been hard on him...he def showed me the player he used to be in Col....i hope he keeps this up, he's incredible

You have to understand that Forsberg is playing through several injuries that have likely slowed him down. The groin injuries are only part of the equation.

1) He's had a chronic foot problem all season. He wears a wrap on the foot and an orthopedic insert in his skate to get him through until the end of the season
2) He's had two "upper groin/ lower abdominal strains" this season, including the late-season injury. Those are very tricky injuries to manage day-to-day -- and there's a fine line between an abdominal strain and a sports hernia (which Forsberg has had as recently as 2004)
3) He had a sprained MCL last month and only missed a game or two-- sprained knee ligiments don't heal just like that

And despite all that, he's still played decently on most nights. Not his usual dominant self, or even close, but still fairly effective.

Tonight, he really stepped up his physical game in particular.

Roger's Pancreas* 04-27-2006 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill_Meltzer
You have to understand that Forsberg is playing through several injuries that have likely slowed him down. The groin injuries are only part of the equation.

1) He's had a chronic foot problem all season. He wears a wrap on the foot and an orthopedic insert in his skate to get him through until the end of the season
2) He's had two "upper groin/ lower abdominal strains" this season, including the late-season injury. Those are very tricky injuries to manage day-to-day -- and there's a fine line between an abdominal strain and a sports hernia (which Forsberg has had as recently as 2004)
3) He had a sprained MCL last month and only missed a game or two-- sprained knee ligiments don't heal just like that

And despite all that, he's still played decently on most nights. Not his usual dominant self, or even close, but still fairly effective.

Tonight, he really stepped up his physical game in particular.

Which leads to the question, just how much did this take out of Foppa?

Bill_Meltzer 04-27-2006 01:09 AM

Quote:

Definitely a fair question.

Based on his performance down the stretch, I think it's fair to say it's taken enough away that he probably can't deliver that type of physical presence on a regular basis but he was able to dig deep tonight.

In 2003-2004, playing with a sports hernia that required offseason surgery, he played like a man possesed in the playoffs, even though the Avs lost in the second round (if I recall, they were down 3-0 to San Jose, Forsberg was the main reason they won the next two games but he and the rest of Avs ran out of steam in Game 6).

So he's shown he can still grit out some great performances with significant injuries but it's hard to consistently deliver them when you're headed for potential surgery after the season.

Ditto Handzus and Rathje who definitely need post-season surgery (the team hasn't concealed that). Kapanen (ongoing shoulder problems) and Hatcher (knee) may also be postponing surgeries, although that's never been confirmed officially.

The Flyers may have a relatively complete lineup out there-- minus Primeau and Johnsson -- but they have a lot of players out there who would have undergone surgery and missed 4-to-6 weeks if there'd been enough time left in the season to do so

Dig Out Your Soul 04-27-2006 11:08 AM

Quote:

It also begs the question, how the hell does he do it?

One thing I noticed last night about Pete was his speed. I've never seen him skate that fast in all my years watching him, particlarly on his first goal when he blew by Grier and was about to blow by Campbell until the puck was swatted off his stick (and into the net, of course!).

Art Vandelay 04-27-2006 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trippyime
It also begs the question, how the hell does he do it?

One thing I noticed last night about Pete was his speed. I've never seen him skate that fast in all my years watching him, particlarly on his first goal when he blew by Grier and was about to blow by Campbell until the puck was swatted off his stick (and into the net, of course!).

That one is quite easy, it's not so much that he wants to win, it's that he hates to lose.

Art Vandelay 04-27-2006 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill_Meltzer
Ditto Handzus and Rathje who definitely need post-season surgery (the team hasn't concealed that). Kapanen (ongoing shoulder problems) and Hatcher (knee) may also be postponing surgeries, although that's never been confirmed officially.

The Flyers may have a relatively complete lineup out there-- minus Primeau and Johnsson -- but they have a lot of players out there who would have undergone surgery and missed 4-to-6 weeks if there'd been enough time left in the season to do so

I'm expecting Kapanen to retire after this season, maybe play a season or two in Finland, but his body is done with the NHL.

ArchieIsGod 04-27-2006 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lion of the North
I'm expecting Kapanen to retire after this season, maybe play a season or two in Finland, but his body is done with the NHL.

i was actually just thinking the same thing...i hope that we are wrong though

DXFlyers 04-27-2006 11:56 AM

Leave the speed to Gagne and the magic to Foppa. Forsberg hustled his butt off last night. He played like there was no tomorrow. That is how the team should play throughout

capn89* 04-27-2006 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DXFlyers
Leave the speed to Gagne and the magic to Foppa. Forsberg hustled his butt off last night. He played like there was no tomorrow. That is how the team should play throughout

That's what the playoffs are all about; no tomorrow. Here's to game 4.