HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Letter to the National Hockey League Officials Association (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=246472)

Ape Clutch 04-27-2006 01:32 AM

Letter to the National Hockey League Officials Association

Here is a letter I wrote/sent to the Association. I was so angry/pissed I am suprised i didn't swear once in the letter. (I'm sure some of you are/will be suprised)

Hello,

My name is Steeve Sainte, I am, have been and will always be (i hope) a Hockey fan. Most importantly a Fan of the Montreal Canadiens, whom we all know to be the greatest Team in NHL History, Past, Present and Future.

The reason for this e-mail, is that like my fellow "Habs" fans, I am quite livid about the "non-call" that occured in Last nights game [April 26, 2006] between Montreal and Carolina.

It would seem that Koivu was high sticked in the face and bleeding from his eye, and yet even while seeing this the ref made no call. He did however stop the play.

My request as a Hockey Fan, and a fan of our Captain Saku Koivu, is why no call was made. I would aslo like to know if possible what was going on through both of the Officials minds regarding this High-Sticking incident that went unpenalized for the Canes Player.

I know an answer might be given to me (rarely do people spend time answering these e-mails really its just a "front" so that you can "seem" reachable by everyone, and if you do answer it will probably again be a generic letter sent out to every angry fan after a game - because you get alot of these i can understand -) that would state that the Referees had not seen/noticed the incident. This I find hard to believe since Koivu was in the middle/thick of the play. The puck was being sent towards him, the Officials HAD to be looking that way, otherwise you should have them suspended for their lack of concentration while at work. If they were not paying attention to the ongoing play, what is it exactly that they were doing? Why is it that they were doing that? And also, why is it that Both Officials were not paying attention at the same time [If that is the case.]

However I don't believe that both of them were not paying attention, which makes me confused because now, we wonder why no call was made. If a Soccer Officials can keep players on such a large field honest, I don't understand how Two Referees on a playing surface nowhere near as large as a soccer field could not keep players honest. The game is faster yes, but so are the officials who are also themselves on skates.

I hope to hear from the Association very soon, a detailed answer would be much appreciated however i've become used to not being answered, since I am only a fan, and do not sign the checks.

Everyone forgets though that no fans = no money = no hockey = no jobs = no on- ice officials and all other employees including the Commissioner.

Hopefully you will all be kind enough to suprise me with a clear answer.

Thank you very much

Yours Truly,

Steeve Wilny Sainte
Hockey Fan

Habitant#1 04-27-2006 02:02 AM

Think they'll give us a redo of the end of game 3? :sarcasm:

It's times like this I wish we had NFL style replay action. Sure it slows down the game, but at least you get consistant quality refereeing. Heck, they can get rid of the schedule TV commercial breaks and just run the adds as they review the play!

Worth a thought methinks.

CareyClutch 04-27-2006 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kanye West
Here is a letter I wrote/sent to the Association. I was so angry/pissed I am suprised i didn't swear once in the letter. (I'm sure some of you are/will be suprised)

Hello,

My name is Steeve Sainte, I am, have been and will always be (i hope) a Hockey fan. Most importantly a Fan of the Montreal Canadiens, whom we all know to be the greatest Team in NHL History, Past, Present and Future.

The reason for this e-mail, is that like my fellow "Habs" fans, I am quite livid about the "non-call" that occured in Last nights game [April 26, 2006] between Montreal and Carolina.

It would seem that Koivu was high sticked in the face and bleeding from his eye, and yet even while seeing this the ref made no call. He did however stop the play.

My request as a Hockey Fan, and a fan of our Captain Saku Koivu, is why no call was made. I would aslo like to know if possible what was going on through both of the Officials minds regarding this High-Sticking incident that went unpenalized for the Canes Player.

I know an answer might be given to me (rarely do people spend time answering these e-mails really its just a "front" so that you can "seem" reachable by everyone, and if you do answer it will probably again be a generic letter sent out to every angry fan after a game - because you get alot of these i can understand -) that would state that the Referees had not seen/noticed the incident. This I find hard to believe since Koivu was in the middle/thick of the play. The puck was being sent towards him, the Officials HAD to be looking that way, otherwise you should have them suspended for their lack of concentration while at work. If they were not paying attention to the ongoing play, what is it exactly that they were doing? Why is it that they were doing that? And also, why is it that Both Officials were not paying attention at the same time [If that is the case.]

However I don't believe that both of them were not paying attention, which makes me confused because now, we wonder why no call was made. If a Soccer Officials can keep players on such a large field honest, I don't understand how Two Referees on a playing surface nowhere near as large as a soccer field could not keep players honest. The game is faster yes, but so are the officials who are also themselves on skates.

I hope to hear from the Association very soon, a detailed answer would be much appreciated however i've become used to not being answered, since I am only a fan, and do not sign the checks.

Everyone forgets though that no fans = no money = no hockey = no jobs = no on- ice officials and all other employees including the Commissioner.

Hopefully you will all be kind enough to suprise me with a clear answer.

Thank you very much

Yours Truly,

Steeve Wilny Sainte
Hockey Fan

totally waste of time

Ape Clutch 04-27-2006 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason allison'fans
totally waste of time

I think if you read it and didn't just look at it, you would know that I think its a waste of time.

But thanks for sharing the obvious. :)

Habs_Apostle 04-27-2006 02:57 AM

(Laughing) It's great being a Habs fan! Gotta love the passion!

The best way to rectify this is to give the Canes HELL on Friday.

Go Habs Go!

HabsoluteFate 04-27-2006 08:31 AM

I've said it before and I will keep saying it...the NHL badly needs a video review policy like the NFL.

Basically instead of using a timeout you can dispute one call which forces it to go to video replay. If your wrong you get a penalty. In this case with Montreal being right the refs would have could a double minor against Carolina. This duspute could also apply to allowed/disallowed goals. It could also apply to a penaly called against you which you feel a video replay would disprove the penalty. The league also needs to wake up and get all of the angles that the media gets for goal reviews...it is patethic to think that the media has more angles to work from...the biggest one that they have that the league does not is the net from above.

Netro 04-27-2006 08:37 AM

Refs are human, they miss calls. Considering Koivu did not have the puck, the chance of a ref or lineman not seeing what happened is greater. It ain't the first time and it won't be the last.

Carbo N8 04-27-2006 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Netro
Refs are human, they miss calls. Considering Koivu did not have the puck, the chance of a ref or lineman not seeing what happened is greater. It ain't the first time and it won't be the last.

It's not called being human, it's being inept. There are 4 officials on the ice, at least 2 of which were in very close proximity to the play in question. Apparently all 4 officials missed an obvious infraction which occured in the crease during a scoring opportunity, yet, 2 of thoses same officials are capable of seeing a phantom hook/hold which does not occur from 50 feet away.

There is no excuse for this type of ineptitude other than to say welcome to the new 'Bettman' NHL.

You are right though, it isn't the first time & it wont be the last.

Darz 04-27-2006 08:50 AM

Quote:

....but the thing I don't understand is Koivu was BETWEEN the ref and the puck. He should of been right in the refs line of sight.

The ref was to Koivu's left, the puck was to Koivu's right.

Turbo 04-27-2006 08:52 AM

Quote:

Koivu did not have the puck because Williams' stick was on his eye. The high stick occured when Higgins made a centering pass. The play was right there in front of the ref's face. They might be human, but they should watch the freaking play.

Real question is, if a star like Daniel Briere gets 2 game for accidently high-sticking Leatch, another star, because the call was missed by on-ice officials, shouldn't Justin Williams, a mere plumber, get the same for doing it to a star like Koivu? The league set the precedent and said there would be no difference with officiating during the playoffs. Hopefully they live up to their word.

Pat 04-27-2006 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darz
....but the thing I don't understand is Koivu was BETWEEN the ref and the puck. He should of been right in the refs line of sight.

The ref was to Koivu's left, the puck was to Koivu's right.

I stopped trying to understand what refs see and don't see. IT'S HOPELESS :shakehead hockey has the worst officiating in pro sports. refs still manage to steal the spotlight and get talked about game in and game out.

Netro 04-27-2006 08:57 AM

Williams high stick IMO does not merit a suspension. Was Williams careless? Heck, absolutelty, but it was an accident. There was no intent to injure.

As for the non-call, well, yes it should have been a penalty. And if an official would have seen it, they would have called it. Unfortunately, they missed it, it happens. Who knows why. Maybe there was a player blocking the ref's view, who the heck knows but sometimes bad breaks happen. I know it sucks, but you know what, as mad as I was that there was no call, it doesn't matter. All that matters is that Saku is ok.

Wabalou 04-27-2006 12:27 PM

I've sent a reply of your letter to the NHL refere association. I changed the name and put mine! If we would all send them a reply of this letter they're gonna have no choice to read it!!!!! They have to know that Larue is a very bad refere!!!!!!!!!

Good job Steeve!!!!!!!!!!!

Wabalou

Wabalou 04-27-2006 12:29 PM

the site is: http://www.nhlofficials.com/

Wabalou

habfan4 04-27-2006 12:41 PM

I just saved myself the time and effort of composing a longwinded e-mail and sent them a couple of links.

Link 1 and Link 2

zurg999 04-27-2006 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason allison'fans
totally waste of time

As was your post.

Next Best Thing* 04-27-2006 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habfan4
I just saved myself the time and effort of composing a longwinded e-mail and sent them a couple of links.

Link 1 and Link 2

:biglaugh:

But they won't see it. ;)

NyQuil 04-27-2006 12:48 PM

I'm pretty sure anyone involved with hockey in any way is aware that they missed a call on the high-stick on Koivu.

Either:

(a) Coincidentally, the referees didn't actually see the high-stick.

or

(b) They deliberately avoided calling a penalty.

Given that high-sticks are generally penalties they ALWAYS call, even in key situations like in overtime, I'm guessing it's (a), and is an unfortunate occurrence.

jester099 04-27-2006 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NyQuil
I'm pretty sure anyone involved with hockey in any way is aware that they missed a call on the high-stick on Koivu.

Either:

(a) Coincidentally, the referees didn't actually see the high-stick.

or

(b) They deliberately avoided calling a penalty.

Given that high-sticks are generally penalties they ALWAYS call, even in key situations like in overtime, I'm guessing it's (a), and is an unfortunate occurrence.

Stop being rational will you.

This is a conspiraty.

Habs 4 Life 04-27-2006 01:34 PM

I hope they realize how pathetic they were last night(ZEBRAS) and that they start too wake up.Bettman said the bad refs will stay home well Bettman you should start by sitting those 2 clowns from last nights game

Well done I love the passion

oli500 04-27-2006 02:07 PM

Now that im over that game I got to say the refs did miss a call but its not the refs fault we lost the game. 1 goal wont get you wins in this new nhl. The habs had plenty of chances to burry them and dident and it ultumately cost us. Ward stod on his head with a bit of luck on his side and that was it. The last thing I want is fore bob gainey to taking it out on the refs. We still have to play the game and we cant look for the refs to gives us calls. You got to get a body infront of ward to score and we dident do it all night. Sure I was pissed at the refs but we dident burry are chances.

Habs 04-27-2006 02:14 PM

Well well well.. appears the officials have a message board..

http://www.nhlofficials.com/faq.asp

Perhaps a picture of Koivu will make them happy? Tubgirl?

jester099 04-27-2006 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oli500
Now that im over that game I got to say the refs did miss a call but its not the refs fault we lost the game. 1 goal wont get you wins in this new nhl. The habs had plenty of chances to burry them and dident and it ultumately cost us. Ward stod on his head with a bit of luck on his side and that was it. The last thing I want is fore bob gainey to taking it out on the refs. We still have to play the game and we cant look for the refs to gives us calls. You got to get a body infront of ward to score and we dident do it all night. Sure I was pissed at the refs but we dident burry are chances.

You're right.

We should have scored more. But I so understand why people are frustrated with the refs.

They refused to give MTL powerplays. They did give CAR many PPs. It's tough to get going offensively and to get in rythm and to score goals when you never get PP opportunities.

We lost for many reasons, but the refs were a big part of that lost IMHO. The players, as frustrating as it is, have to put that behind and be prepared and focused on the game friday.

Fans on the other hand, can continu to whine about the refs :)

GoneAway 04-27-2006 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs
Well well well.. appears the officials have a message board..

http://www.nhlofficials.com/faq.asp

Perhaps a picture of Koivu will make them happy? Tubgirl?

I've joined

Let the wrath begin

Habs 04-27-2006 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lordchezz
I've joined

Let the wrath begin

I'll see you there. If things get nasty, I'll use a proxy.