HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Numminen out for tonight (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=247032)

iceman42 04-28-2006 11:24 AM

Numminen out for tonight

Fan 590 reports

CharlieGirl 04-28-2006 11:27 AM

Good - you just don't mess around with a heart condition.

iceman42 04-28-2006 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl
Good - you just don't mess around with a heart condition.

Completely agree, my family has a history of early onset, anything odd happens with flutters or whatever I'm at the doctors the next day.

FlyersFanJS 04-28-2006 12:37 PM

i really hope he is going to be ok...don't get me wrong, i think it will help the flyers with him not being in the lineup, but you just hate to see a guy get hurt for any reason

ArchieIsGod 04-28-2006 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersFanJS
i really hope he is going to be ok...don't get me wrong, i think it will help the flyers with him not being in the lineup, but you just hate to see a guy get hurt for any reason

agreed, hope everything turns out ok

tytech 04-28-2006 12:51 PM

I'm sure he'll be gone for the rest of the series, if not, the playoffs. It takes weeks of tests to be sure.

sansan 04-28-2006 01:47 PM

Hope he makes a full recovery. You hate to hear stuff like that.

South Beach 04-28-2006 02:04 PM

The son of a friend of ours who was playing Junior hockey had just finished practice and went to the dressing room and just dropped. There was nothing anyone could do. He had an unknown heart condition.

I sure hope everything goes well for him.

JXC 04-28-2006 02:11 PM

There is almost always something that can be done given available equipment. It's pretty rare that a heart just self-destructs, though it does happen. Typically it's sudden arrest or arrythmia, and a defibrillator or pacemaker on hand could get things under control. Twenty years from now it may be routine for young athletes to get preemptive CTAs or nuclear stress tests. Today it's $800+, in a couple decades probably less than three or four hundred or so... not really a big price tag given the stakes.

Lupul* 04-28-2006 02:45 PM

I hope that Numminen gets it all figured out, but this is really good news for the Flyers.

salzy 04-28-2006 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COTA
I hope that Numminen gets it all figured out, but this is really good news for the Flyers.

My sentiments exactly - I hope Numminen returns to full health just in time for training camp next September.

Banger 04-28-2006 02:59 PM

I don't follow the Sabres that closely so excuse the ignorance. Where would he be considered in their pecking order? A #3/#4 defensemen?

MojoJojo 04-28-2006 03:02 PM

I'm sure there are some Sabres fans somewhere who blame it on Gauthier

salzy 04-28-2006 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banger
I don't follow the Sabres that closely so excuse the ignorance. Where would he be considered in their pecking order? A #3/#4 defensemen?

I'd rank him in their top 2 with McKee, although I think if he were a Flyer we'd view him pretty much like Desjardins.

Chainshot 04-28-2006 03:09 PM

Quote:

On any given night, yes. Tallinder-Lydman have performed as their best pair for most of the season and then it's McKee or Numminen depending on specialty situation (Numminen on the powerplay, McKee penalty killing).

Banger 04-28-2006 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salzy
I'd rank him in their top 2 with McKee, although I think if he were a Flyer we'd view him pretty much like Desjardins.

At this point I consider Desjardin about a #5/#6 defesemen. His 1+ penalties/game are getting tiresome.

jcab2000 04-28-2006 03:16 PM

Numminen was getting the most ice time of their d-men in games 1 and 2.

Banger 04-28-2006 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcab2000
Numminen was getting the most ice time of their d-men in games 1 and 2.

well that's the best indication of value. sounds like a pretty big loss, hopefully the Flyers can use it to their advantage and get a good forecheck going.

Bob Clarke Fan Club 04-28-2006 03:33 PM

Too bad for the Sabres, at least we know there's one of em with a little heart.

salzy 04-28-2006 04:05 PM

Quote:

At this point I consider Desjardin about a #5/#6 defesemen. His 1+ penalties/game are getting tiresome.

Exactly.

GKJ 04-28-2006 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COTA

Well, it is certainly a break. Numminen plays an important role on both ends of the ice for Buffalo. Power play and penalty kill. And a lot of experience, Numminen was brought in to Buffalo for this time of year.

MountainHawk 04-28-2006 04:43 PM

Any idea on who is replacing him? Someone the Flyers can exploit?

CharlieGirl 04-28-2006 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MountainHawk

Fitzpatrick, and yes, the potential is there.

GKJ 04-28-2006 05:03 PM

Quote:

Rory Fitzpatrick is an AHL defenseman who happened to find himself on an NHL roster

Lapps 04-28-2006 05:16 PM

Quote:

You and I could exploit him on the ice.

The best I can say for him is if he keeps it simple he won't hurt the Sabres. It's certainly good news (good news sports-wise, no one likes these serious health issues) for you guys. GKJ is right: an AHLer on an NHL roster. I was bummed when Regier didn't get another d-man at the deadline. This was exactly what I didn't want to happen.