HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   The team so far (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=24746)

FlyersFan10* 11-01-2003 06:48 PM

The team so far

Ok, this is the team that I started envisioning at the start of the season. I think everyone has finally bought into Hitchcock's system and everyone is beginning to look comfortable. In turn, it looks like Hitchcock has allowed them to open up their offensive game a little bit and it's beginning to reap dividends. I'm also happy to see that Robert Esche is looking like a number one goalie in the league and even Hackett has played really well. We've had a few defensive breakdowns, but that is bound to happen. However, what has me most excited is the play of Michal Handzus. I knew he was an excellent defensive center, but his offensive game is really beginning to come through and I think he might just be our number one guy by the end of the season. It's also beneficial that he has good linemates, but LeClair hasn't looked out of place and Williams has been that spark plug every team needs. I'll go out on the record and say this. Justin Williams will be a more valuable player than Simon Gagne.

Flyman 11-02-2003 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersFan10
Ok, this is the team that I started envisioning at the start of the season. I think everyone has finally bought into Hitchcock's system and everyone is beginning to look comfortable. In turn, it looks like Hitchcock has allowed them to open up their offensive game a little bit and it's beginning to reap dividends. I'm also happy to see that Robert Esche is looking like a number one goalie in the league and even Hackett has played really well. We've had a few defensive breakdowns, but that is bound to happen. However, what has me most excited is the play of Michal Handzus. I knew he was an excellent defensive center, but his offensive game is really beginning to come through and I think he might just be our number one guy by the end of the season. It's also beneficial that he has good linemates, but LeClair hasn't looked out of place and Williams has been that spark plug every team needs. I'll go out on the record and say this. Justin Williams will be a more valuable player than Simon Gagne.

I agree with you, the team starts to play well offensively. But IMO, as long as JR will be a Flyer, Handzus will be the #2 centerman. He has really surprised me with his offensive game too. A nice surprise. His pariring with Williams is excellent. Willy is playing really well since the beginning of the season. He is now a Hitch favorite and we can expect great things from him for the years to come.
Amonte is quiet but he is always on the statsheet. Like Rex and JR. Gagné continues to struggle a little bit but he has greatly improve since his return to the game, which is a really good news.

The one who has surprised me the most is Pitkänen!! I knew he was a top rookie but what a heck of a player! His potential is terrific! He is our best defenseman, statistically speaking, with 7 points in 10 matches. And he leads the team with +8...We definitely have a huge future superstar in our lineup! :handclap:

RoDu 11-02-2003 09:08 AM

i think the Gagne-Primeau-Kapanen has to be arguably the best 3rd line in the league

Rails 11-02-2003 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerfanofthepeg
i think the Gagne-Primeau-Kapanen has to be arguably the best 3rd line in the league

So, Brashear is the odd man out now, or what?

MojoJojo 11-02-2003 01:12 PM

Heres my take so far.

Pleasant surprises: Williams, Pitkanen, Esche, Special teams (5th in PP, 2nd in PK)

Dissapointments: Vandemeer, Hackett, Gagne (because expectations are so high for him this year), Esche and Shields not fighting each other :rant:

Things are looking good this week, but I am still cautious. We are firing on all cylinders, but the last three blowouts were against opponents that had serious defensive questionmarks. Toronto, Montreal, and Florida all made us look better offensively with their lousy turnovers and poor coverage around the net. New Jersey is the team we should be comparing ourselves to, and they effectively shut us down, and came from behind to beat us.

Toonces 11-02-2003 01:18 PM

The loss to NJ has to be the focus. Thumping the Leafs was great to watch, but lets not all get big heads over it.

One thing I don't agree with you on Mojo is Jim Vandermeer. He had one bad game, and one alful turnover. If Clarke wasn't actively trying to get rid of Therien, Jim would still be in the lineup despite his one bad game. Bundy has to go, he makes Vandemeer look like Chris Pronger.

RoDu 11-02-2003 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gagne
So, Brashear is the odd man out now, or what?

i would think he'll play on the 4th line, can't have Gagne down there

MojoJojo 11-02-2003 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerfanofthepeg
i would think he'll play on the 4th line, can't have Gagne down there

They could always put Gagne back with Williams, Brash back on the third, and JLC on the fourth, which is about what Hitch started out with.

Personally, I *** LOVE the Gagne-Primeau-Kapanen line though.

Winston Wolf 11-02-2003 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MojoJojo
They could always put Gagne back with Williams, Brash back on the third, and JLC on the fourth, which is about what Hitch started out with.

Personally, I *** LOVE the Gagne-Primeau-Kapanen line though.

And I *** LOVE the LeClair-Handzus-Williams line. :rolly:

Blindside9711 11-02-2003 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyers guy
And I *** LOVE the LeClair-Handzus-Williams line. :rolly:

I agree. There's no need to break up chemistry like this just to fit in Big Useless somewhere. I say let him rot in the press box, maybe it'll smarten him up a bit. All 4 lines are playing effectively and there's no guarantee that Brash would make anything better. Chouinard needs the icetime to prove he's more than an average bench player and Fridge is just a better, cheaper, younger enforcer. He's getting better every game he's playing. Getting rid of #87 would save some money and solve the logjam at forward until Somik gets back. Then Rado can platoon with Chouiny or something until he's healthy for sure.

panayiotis 11-03-2003 06:56 PM

Pitkanen

The team is rocking. 3 lines who can score. Joni is the x-factor. I think KJ and Joni will kick ass on the pp.

Belfast Giant 11-04-2003 04:10 AM

The three lines are working right now and scoring so I dont see why they should be changed, by all means tinker with the 4th line if you want but keep the top three as they are.

Teezax 11-04-2003 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belfast Giant
The three lines are working right now and scoring so I dont see why they should be changed, by all means tinker with the 4th line if you want but keep the top three as they are.

Couldn't agree more, Brash is a 4th liner, bottom line. :teach:

Banger 11-04-2003 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blindside9711
I agree. There's no need to break up chemistry like this just to fit in Big Useless somewhere. I say let him rot in the press box, maybe it'll smarten him up a bit. All 4 lines are playing effectively and there's no guarantee that Brash would make anything better. Chouinard needs the icetime to prove he's more than an average bench player and Fridge is just a better, cheaper, younger enforcer. He's getting better every game he's playing. Getting rid of #87 would save some money and solve the logjam at forward until Somik gets back. Then Rado can platoon with Chouiny or something until he's healthy for sure.

Have to disagree with you here. Fridge is not better than Brash at anything. Fridge takes as many if not more stupid penalties than Brash as well. Start Brash instead of Fridge along side Choui and Lapointe and you have a nice 4th line.